Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

Bluedeanie posted:

Realistically though, could Shelby just absorb Joe's duties and cover every weight class, or is that too great a workload for one person?

No, that seems pretty insane. What's more Joe Silva covered just under 60% of the roster by himself, or a hair over 300 fighters to Shelby's 200. The UFC would be better off bringing in two new matchmakers (or more even).

The only person that comes to mind who I might trust to take over some of the divisions is Sam Caplan, who did matchmaking for pre-Viacom Bellator, and isn't an rear end in a top hat headcase like Bjorn. Rich Chou might also be poachable, no idea. I wouldn't trust Chou with anything under 155 though, given his track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
rip in peace Joe Silva and thanks for all the great fights

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Joe Silva could be the most devastating loss the ufc has ever incurred. I might be being hyperbolic here, but I don't think I am.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

EmmyOk posted:

imo fighters should fight who they are asked to fight

I dunno, I kind of like when fighters try to make matches themselves. Tyron Woodley's matchmaking abilities to get a fight with GSP or Nick has been exceptional, for example.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

I dunno, I kind of like when fighters try to make matches themselves. Tyron Woodley's matchmaking abilities to get a fight with GSP or Nick has been exceptional, for example.

I don't mind trying to get fights or whatever but people shouldn't really be turning down fights. I like the best guys actually fighting instead of things like Boxing where they rarely seem to fight. Granted even if they turn down fights the pool is much smaller and it's a single organisation but still I think fighters following the matchmaker makes for better fights.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Marching Powder posted:

Joe Silva could be the most devastating loss the ufc has ever incurred. I might be being hyperbolic here, but I don't think I am.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in a few months when there's a last minute injury to a sorta big fight and guys like Joe Silva and Lorenzo Fertitta aren't there anymore to call Cheick Kongo a pussy on the phone to get a replacement. I dunno what they paid Dana to keep him around at least but it wasn't enough.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Hopefully ufc will do more tournaments now, gently caress Joe Silva

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
TUF 24 SPOILERS

Tim Elliott wins

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/jordanbreen/status/771092569728180233

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am enjoying Darth Silva stories tbh

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Hahaha thats great. Dana needs to write a book so dam bad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Chrom1um posted:

No, that seems pretty insane. What's more Joe Silva covered just under 60% of the roster by himself, or a hair over 300 fighters to Shelby's 200. The UFC would be better off bringing in two new matchmakers (or more even).

The only person that comes to mind who I might trust to take over some of the divisions is Sam Caplan, who did matchmaking for pre-Viacom Bellator, and isn't an rear end in a top hat headcase like Bjorn. Rich Chou might also be poachable, no idea. I wouldn't trust Chou with anything under 155 though, given his track record.

Rich Chou was never the real matchmaker in Strikeforce so really his resume is just Bellator.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

1st AD posted:

Rich Chou was never the real matchmaker in Strikeforce so really his resume is just Bellator.

Welp, gently caress him then.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He was/is super close with Dave Meltzer (who I believe helped him keep his job when Zuffa bought it) and Meltzer always used to say coded things like "it'd be the best job in the world if you only have 12 shows a year to do" or something which means i'm not surprised he's finally like "I'm out" now he's made enough money.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Did he have equity or nah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EmmyOk posted:

I am enjoying Darth Silva stories tbh

Same. Joe Silva owns.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Did he have equity or nah

Almost certainly yes. I don't know for sure, but considering he's the only UFC guy to go all the way to SEG I would be surprised if he didn't.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Someone on the UG had an interesting find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVj1Zkj55M&t=835s

Skip to 13:55 if the video doesn't start there. Watch for Joe Silva and Ari Emanuel arguing on stage in the background. They do not seem to be getting along. I know Dana White went out of his way to not tread too hard on Silva's toes when it came to matchmaking. Probably for good reasons, it's a stressful-as-gently caress job as it is I imagine.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Page 1, Chapter 1
I started in Boston as a young man. One day, I tried coke, and I immediately felt powerful and full of life, and I knew I wanted to be a fuckin' fighter.
Page 2-479
Blurry, unreadable
Page 480
The End

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lmao I love him

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
that was a super righteous stroke of pwnage, ahahaha

mewse
May 2, 2006

T-Ked spreading deep thoughts on Facebook

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm actually super worried about the guy who killed women and kids and isn't suffering PTSD

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

EmmyOk posted:

I'm actually super worried about the guy who killed women and kids and isn't suffering PTSD

Those were brown women and kids they don't count as far as Kennedy thinks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah seriously wtf. Did he just admit to a war crime?

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Man who puts gun to USADA's tester's head thinking he's a secret ISIS assassin: absolutely not suffering from ptsd

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Goddamn I loving hate that guy.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

You might get shot at, see your friends burn alive but poo poo happens get over it. But if your opponent sits on a stool for an extra five seconds...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't read everything in that wall of text but what I did read actually kinda makes me feel bad for him. He needs a therapist.

and the government should pay for it

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

mewse posted:

What a relentlessly unlikable piece of poo poo

mewse
May 2, 2006

Haha I don't know why I don't have PTSD *is a literal sociopath* *best advice is "don't be a pussy"*

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

mewse posted:

My favorite part is the completely out of nowhere #Isis.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I haveKilled women and kids....Its horrible, I literally spend my whole life trying to avoid bad feelings about everything Ive done. PTSD is a lie

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sprecherscrow posted:

My favorite part is the completely out of nowhere #Isis.

It's so the ISIS marketing team is sure to see it when they do their SEO checks.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Cool, gonna tell all my PTSD havin' vet friends just to stop being pussies and to get over it. Thank you based hitler hunter

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
#justwomenandkids

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
"you should be falling asleep before your head hits the pillow"

OH but it was such a big deal when Yoel Romero was tired

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Ill tell you how to get better. Get rewarded for the actions that haunt you and be constantly reminded of them every media appearance. Cha ching

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
+ God will sexually assault me at the Pearly Gates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I've killed women and children and they haunt my dreams and the voices never stop. Every time I close my eyes I see the charred remains of the people I've maimed.

Anyway, I DO NOT have post traumatic stress disorder.

• Locked thread