Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Someone should tell Woodley his belt is on the line on August 20th, and that Nate is apparently the Welterweight champion of the world now.

From the fight pass page for UFC 202.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the idea of "fixing" the ufc is really weird since the product seems good to me except for the regularity of fairly weak cards which you're under no obligation to buy or watch
And why not give them cool, corporately relatable names with universal appeal? Just imagine the profit margins when the people get chance to buy into "Fastlane to the Elimination Chamber X7 sponsored by Pokemon GO and Spanx underbody support garments (in association with Corn Nut's, sworn to the core)"

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

threeagainstfour posted:

Someone should tell Woodley his belt is on the line on August 20th, and that Nate is apparently the Welterweight champion of the world now.

From the fight pass page for UFC 202.

Just had a weird thought. Lets say Woodley goes full Jon Jones this week and the UFC is forced to vacate the title. They would totally make this a WW championship fight, wouldn't they?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Eat This Glob posted:

How would you, a goon, "fix" the UFC?

Gas Sage Northcutt up to the gills and have him fight a new opponent every week for the rest of his life.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Northjayhawk posted:

Just had a weird thought. Lets say Woodley goes full Jon Jones this week and the UFC is forced to vacate the title. They would totally make this a WW championship fight, wouldn't they?

No

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Gas Sage Northcutt up to the gills and have him fight a new opponent every week for the rest of his life.

Sage's weekly opponent should be the winner of an 8-man single elimination tournament fought earlier that day.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Northjayhawk posted:

Sage's weekly opponent should be the winner of an 8-man single elimination tournament fought earlier that day.

This I can get behind.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Introduce a fat guy named Fool Southmend who loves accounting and curling.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

At least his dad loves him for who he is and isn't living vicariously through him

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the idea of "fixing" the ufc is really weird since the product seems good to me except for the regularity of fairly weak cards which you're under no obligation to buy or watch

Yeah really I wouldn't change much about the UFC other than scrapping Reebok or making the payouts way higher.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

kole conrad was already introduced.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
please rename rheinhold to CA Drunk when ufc 203 rolls around

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
a thing from last month that i wanna talk about is jon jones' legacy. someone mentioned that his legacy is ruined. and even if you assume he was always 100% on PEDs his entire career (i don't), who do you put ahead of him at lhw? i mean even if jones had never popped and he kept winning for 10 more years people could always make the argument for chuck, but who else even is there? randy? shogun? tito? vitor? machida? all those guys have probable hall of fame careers, but i don't think any of them really touch jones in terms of accomplishment or how they will be remembered

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also I'm going to go out on a crazy limb and suggest that the overwhelming majority of Jones' opponents were also on gear.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

a thing from last month that i wanna talk about is jon jones' legacy. someone mentioned that his legacy is ruined. and even if you assume he was always 100% on PEDs his entire career (i don't), who do you put ahead of him at lhw? i mean even if jones had never popped and he kept winning for 10 more years people could always make the argument for chuck, but who else even is there? randy? shogun? tito? vitor? machida? all those guys have probable hall of fame careers, but i don't think any of them really touch jones in terms of accomplishment or how they will be remembered

chuck because he probably did way more coke than jones could dream of

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

His first 7 fights were in 2008 against nobodies outside the UFC (all B league and major league fighters back then were juiced to the gills) and one nobody in the UFC. Bonnar - roided. Jake O'Brian - don't know who he is but probably safe to assume he was juicing as he fought in Japan. The Matt Hamill fight had Mazz as a ref so that enhanced Hamill's performance. Vera was absolutely juicing. No way the janitor wasn't at least on meldonium. Every fighter except maybe Lyoto and he was even taking supplements with now banned stuff that Jones has ever fought has been cheating in some way.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

1st AD posted:

Yeah really I wouldn't change much about the UFC other than scrapping Reebok or making the payouts way higher.

+ring men for the women fights.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
definitely Chuck Liddell, who would 100% beat the gently caress out of a clean Jon Jones.

We always thought Jon Jones had supreme confidence because he never loses and believes in Christ, but it turns out it's actually because he's been cheating the entire time and knew he had that edge over people. I fully expect him to have a dip in performance, same as every other roiding dickhead who got clean and then lost a bunch when their confidence was no longer being supplemented (Vitor, Overeem, Lombard, historically others I'm sure)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just watched Invicta FC 18 which was really great. Lots of exciting fighters at 115. Better than the main card of 200, which obviously isn't so hard. All the Invicta events I've watched have been pretty great.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

I know you hate him so this isnt for you but Cormier. At the very least Jones was on PEDs both times he was supposed to fight Cormier, so cormier's only career loss has an asterisk, and/or he avenged it in the rematch. Hes beaten Rumble and Gustaffsson who he did better against than Jones did. Once he beats Glover or OSP he will have cleared out the bad LHW division as much as Jones, just skipping over the part where Jones beat up the over the hill Shoguns and Matyushenkos of the world (see the Dan Henderson match if you need evidence Cormier could have easily also done that). Cormier is undefeated at HW and beat up guys like Mir and Barnett, which Jones never tried despite having the frame for it and being on steroids whereas Cormier is a short fat guy. Cormier also had the 'superfight' with Anderson silva that was always teased with Jones but never happened

Overall Cormier is better, and once Jones eats a 2 year suspension, the only thing he will have done in the entirety of his post-USADA career is go to a really bad decision with OSP. Id still put him above Vitor and those guys for sure

Tangentially related, Rashad Evans is still the 7th ranked LHW even though he lost his last 2 fights badly and the last time he won a fight was 3 years ago against Chael sonnen lol

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the reason i don't super buy the narrative about jones getting secret great drugs from nfl brother is that he got popped for clomid and letrozol, which are very typical post cycle therapy things, but are also used in lovely supplements for mild increases in test production. the thing is that if he was on secret undetectable good drugs he wouldn't be cycling off onto clomid, which can stay detectable in your system for up to a month after you last take. it just makes absolutely no sense to go off something that stood a chance at beating a test and immediately go onto something that you will 100% get caught for (6 weeks pct + 24ish days of it still being in your system is two months, and you are guaranteed to get tested at least once in there in the lead up to a title fight).

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

I know you hate him so this isnt for you but Cormier. At the very least Jones was on PEDs both times he was supposed to Cormier, so cormier's only career loss has an asterisk, and/or he avenged it in the rematch. Hes beaten Rumble and Gustaffsson who he did better against than Jones did. Once he beats Glover or OSP he will have cleared out the bad LHW division as much as Jones, just skipping over the part where Jones beat up the over the hill Shoguns and Matyushenkos of the world (see the Dan Henderson match if you need evidence Cormier could have easily also done that). Cormier is undefeated at HW and beat up guys like Mir and Barnett, which Jones never tried despite having the frame for it and being on steroids whereas Cormier is a short fat guy. Cormier also had the 'superfight' with Anderson silva that was always teased with Jones but never happened

Overall Cormier is better, and once Jones eats a 2 year suspension, the only thing he will have done in the entirety of his post-USADA career is go to a really bad decision with OSP. Id still put him above Vitor and those guys for sure

Tangentially related, Rashad Evans is still the 7th ranked LHW even though he lost his last 2 fights badly and the last time he won a fight was 3 years ago against Chael sonnen lol

i think cormier will likely end up with a better legacy. but there's no evidence to think jones was on PEDs when he fought cormier

i also think cormier's fights against hendo and silva will make people remember him less fondly rather than more fondly

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
shogun was 29 when jones beat him, and he had just KO'd machida, had the up-to-then best fight of all time against machida, and ko'd chuck in his last three. calling him over the hill is incorrect and that's probably the most legit he ever was.

also jones just got lucky against vlad

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i feel like shogun did far better in the ufc than he had any right to seeing as he was so thoroughly broken that he almost lost to coleman. he may be a slightly depressing footnote in conversations about the best 205er ever but he hung around scoring massive knockouts periodically way past his horribly early sell by date.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

i think cormier will likely end up with a better legacy. but there's no evidence to think jones was on PEDs when he fought cormier

i also think cormier's fights against hendo and silva will make people remember him less fondly rather than more fondly

Well theres some. His T:E and whatever else were extremely weird before the first Cormier fight and probably would have casued a failure under USADA, and people called for stricter testing of him because of that, and then when there was stricter testing he failed. There were also those rumors from his gym around that time that Jones was on PEDs and the stuff like when he hid under a mat for 8 hours to avoid the drug testers (probably not true but again he did later test positive). That seems like almost as much evidence as you can have short of actually failing

I agree re the hendo and silva fights, but the same could be said for Jones beating up Shogun and Vlad etc which is the real reason people hated him at first rather than him being a 'black herb'

david carmichael posted:

shogun was 29 when jones beat him, and he had just KO'd machida, had the up-to-then best fight of all time against machida, and ko'd chuck in his last three. calling him over the hill is incorrect and that's probably the most legit he ever was.

I hear you but its a bit misleading because he is currently a very very old 34, and he was only 31 for example when he got owned by Chael sonnen

quote:

also jones just got lucky against vlad

True.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Has Machida retired? I was wondering what happened to his glorious revival at middleweight. Maybe andy and the dragon can fight each other and both call it quits.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Machida's in trouble with USADA. His piss was bad.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Ohhhhh 'this urine contains too much urine' got it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
No, he just signed a form stating he took something he shouldn't have. Those two sentences were separate thoughts.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dan Didio posted:

Machida's in trouble with USADA. His piss was bad.

Actually he openly disclosed he took something that he learned was banned. There is no way for Machida's piss to flag a test because it is double filtered.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Triticum Guzzler posted:

ice the reebok deal, do regular free fight pass weekends with a view to renegotiating broadcast deals to allow online simultaneous broadcast when renegotiated, cancel tuf and replace it with a weekly wec style show with a smaller cage, coordinated campaign to tarnish randy couture's false image and legacy

I think the Reebok deal is actually gonna be a good thing in the long run because the next clothing deal will be a big one (probably with Nike) and everyone will forget about it. The same way that the current Fox TV deal was good (much better than Reebok was for clothing, admittedly) for a first try but the next one is gonna be insane as Fox, ESPN, and NBC jump over each other to get it on their networks. ESPN is gonna have to diversify their live events because it's been written about before how much they overpaid for NFL rights to the point where it has becoming borderline dangerous to the company and the UFC could fill that spot more or less at a much, much cheaper rate.

I like the idea of a "challengers" weekly card though, maybe headlined by a top 15 fight or something. I think that's probably been the plan all along but it's tough to work out logistics of hiring x many more fighters and venues and then trying to renegotiate the Fox deal or whatever to find somewhere else to put it because they don't like the idea of putting on more cards than Fightpass subscription money will pay for. I think Friday nights are ripe for this since Saturday is PPV or College Football and Sunday is NFL.

Also speaking of fighters that are lucky that USADA wasn't a factor at the time, Randy Couture

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Actually he openly disclosed he took something that he learned was banned. There is no way for Machida's piss to flag a test because it is double filtered.

heh

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also speaking of fighters that are lucky that USADA wasn't a factor at the time, Randy Couture

randy's such a businessman that when he was mainlining test and it was an open secret he said that he was actually getting his levels monitored frequently because his special Xtreme Couture line of supplements was raising them

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Well theres some. His T:E and whatever else were extremely weird before the first Cormier fight and probably would have casued a failure under USADA, and people called for stricter testing of him because of that, and then when there was stricter testing he failed. There were also those rumors from his gym around that time that Jones was on PEDs and the stuff like when he hid under a mat for 8 hours to avoid the drug testers (probably not true but again he did later test positive). That seems like almost as much evidence as you can have short of actually failing

I agree re the hendo and silva fights, but the same could be said for Jones beating up Shogun and Vlad etc which is the real reason people hated him at first rather than him being a 'black herb'

I hear you but its a bit misleading because he is currently a very very old 34, and he was only 31 for example when he got owned by Chael sonnen

True.

The T/E argument makes no real sense. His test levels were in the middle range of normal, but his epi levels were berserk. So the lab performed CIR to see if there was synthetic test in his samples and there wasn't.

It would make sense to spike his epi levels to try to beat the T/E ratio test if his test levels were very high, but they weren't. And if he was taking exogenous epi it would have shown up on the CIR.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Triticum Guzzler posted:

randy's such a businessman that when he was mainlining test and it was an open secret he said that he was actually getting his levels monitored frequently because his special Xtreme Couture line of supplements was raising them

Someone find that video of him on Human Weapon or Fight Science or whatever where they are monitoring his lactic acid levels as he holds a guillotine and the doctors are like "what...what is happening...they're going down...this isn't right"

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Someone find that video of him on Human Weapon or Fight Science or whatever where they are monitoring his lactic acid levels as he holds a guillotine and the doctors are like "what...what is happening...they're going down...this isn't right"

lmbo

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Tonight on Spike's Deadliest Warrior, we measure how dangerous Randy Couture would be if he was given twice his normal amount of steroids, forced to read his UFC contract, and then abstain from loving young sluts for 2 weeks

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
it made his voice so gentle

• Locked thread