Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
tyron woodley's beard looks like one of those toys with the magnetic shavings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ice the reebok deal, do regular free fight pass weekends with a view to renegotiating broadcast deals to allow online simultaneous broadcast when renegotiated, cancel tuf and replace it with a weekly wec style show with a smaller cage, coordinated campaign to tarnish randy couture's false image and legacy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the idea of "fixing" the ufc is really weird since the product seems good to me except for the regularity of fairly weak cards which you're under no obligation to buy or watch

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
please rename rheinhold to CA Drunk when ufc 203 rolls around

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i feel like shogun did far better in the ufc than he had any right to seeing as he was so thoroughly broken that he almost lost to coleman. he may be a slightly depressing footnote in conversations about the best 205er ever but he hung around scoring massive knockouts periodically way past his horribly early sell by date.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Also speaking of fighters that are lucky that USADA wasn't a factor at the time, Randy Couture

randy's such a businessman that when he was mainlining test and it was an open secret he said that he was actually getting his levels monitored frequently because his special Xtreme Couture line of supplements was raising them

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

The T/E argument makes no real sense. His test levels were in the middle range of normal, but his epi levels were berserk. So the lab performed CIR to see if there was synthetic test in his samples and there wasn't.

It would make sense to spike his epi levels to try to beat the T/E ratio test if his test levels were very high, but they weren't. And if he was taking exogenous epi it would have shown up on the CIR.

the thing about the t:e test is that it doesn't actually directly measure testosterone or epitestosterone but a glucorindated metabolite, there are very few enzymes that catalyse that reaction and the main one can be inhibited by incredibly simple means (as in like, tea extracts and nsaids), as well as there being extremely common gene variants that basically make the test useless. also people have been beating the carbon isotope ratio test for years by basically buying the 13 carbon reference standard testosterone made for labs to run drug tests and mixing it with the soy derived stuff to get the right balance. wada's developing a test for that so some gold medals might change in a few years.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
btw if anybody wants to read the wada technical documents so you can try to figure out loopholes in the tests from your sa-mart steroids, pills, powders etc here's the master list https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/resources/files/wada-td2016-index-v2.0.pdf just google the document numbers and knock yaselves out

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Work Friend Keven posted:

Yeah id better take some masking agents so after I deliver a 9.8 load and the load commission is called (per procedure) I don't have my membership in the brotherhood of loads taken away. Thank you.

one of the olympians let off for using meldonium was called Semen

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

manyak posted:

Good pull here, referencing 5 years ago when Woodley fought the like 6th best Welterweight in Strikeforce, who was coming off of an exciting fight with Nick diaz (and then went to a boring decision nobody remembers at all with Woodley)

But its true that Wonderboy hasnt been in the sport long enough, he started his pro career 1 year after Woodley, the amount of time Woodley took as vacation after a split decision win, in which Wonderboy knocked out Ellenberger with a spinning back kick, KOd Hendricks and beat Rory mcdonald

hahahahaha

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the abc is the group that meets and passes rules saying that they're changing all the weight classes and then the actual state commissions say "no you're not" right?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah, he's been fuckin guys up lately

he's never really not been loving guys up except for those blips with mir and roy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

But also almost everyday does the exact same things no matter who they are fighting and what their gameplan is. It's very rare that someone adds a new wrinkle to their game effectively for just one opponent, and even more rare when someone abandons their usual habits and finds success.

remember the time juanito ibarra spent a whole camp with rampage trying to bring his jab up a few inches because forrest griffin is tall, then he almost got leg kick tko'd and lost a 10-8 by getting mounted for one whole hour in a single five minute round

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i don't know what conor needs to do: i know a lot less about fighting than him and the people around him. sorry to disappoint.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's what Conor needs to do: he should win the fight this time, instead of losing it.

i'm so loving sick of everyone trying to do this kind of longform analysis now

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i hope chael passes his drug tests so he can get back on tv before getting beaten up by like nikita krylov or whatever

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Tyree posted:

Cyborg vs. some lady at 140 is such an odd headliner. Why didn't they get that Germaine de Randamie lady to fight her? She wanted to before but wanted to fight on the dutch card so had to pass.

because de randamie could win

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm looking forward to roy nelson vs bigfoot, how about you guys

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
can somebody tell me what matt serra thinks about anime

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
incoming transmission:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
admittedly last time i went to a bisping headlined card it was a long time ago, there wasn't a belt on the line, and it was against leben, but that was a smaller arena in birmingham and they curtained off a whole half of the arena and it still didn't sell out. i'm sure they can make the card "sell out" but i imagine they might be a little lenient on prices and seating because the main event is gonna be at like 6am

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
does that apply to all territories because if so i'll resubscribe

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

Alvarez would also lose really quickly to Connor so

if conor thought nate was big he'd have to come to the cage in a bulldozer to fight alvarez

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't believe Conor would automatically destroy Eddie or anything but I feel like Nate is legitimately much bigger than Eddie Alvarez.

nate's taller, but conor and eddie are probably the same height except eddie has a ton of weight on him

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Height and reach are far more important and Alvarez wouldn't have either of those advantages like Diaz does.

height and reach are important advantages if you're nate diaz fighting a nate diaz style fight against conor, but that's another different guy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
rda is a big shredded lightweight and eddie alvarez came in bigger and shreddeder and also made a public appeal on sherdog radio for anyone who could tell him why the day after his first few fights at 155 his ankles swelled up like his pregnant wife from cutting so much weight

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hey bundt cake if you like carlos newton and carlos newton stories you've been reading the wrong part of this web site

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
does anyone have the video of hendricks being told his wife is pregnant and barely reacting to it as he continues staring at the menu

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

I like fights where 1 fighter, usually the champion, reminds everyone how big the gap is between him + the rest of the world by making the other fighter look like he doesnt belong in there with him, as long as the fighter actually does belong in there with him that is. for example aldo vs frankie that just happened

not quite the same but this was one of my favourite fights despite not being classically action packed http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31lqbq

but top 5 is

1. misaki vs santiago
1. misaki vs santiago 2
3. hunt vs bigfoot
4. barnett vs nogueira 1
5. uhhhh alvarez vs chandler 1 or lawler vs macdonald

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
have there been any exceptional guard passers in the ufc other than bj penn, kawajiri, and hioki?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Balthesar posted:

How about just favourite moments, moves, or parts of fights?

- Brock Lesnars post fight interview at UFC100
- Nick Diaz laying down in the cage vs Anderson Silva.
- a dick punching gif
- Showtime Kick (fight is just ok without the kick)
- Mark Hominicks second skull growing out of his forehead

http://i.imgur.com/5PLBhcm.mp4

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://i.imgur.com/FnAKhKo.mp4

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
there's been so many repeated highs, lows, weird twists, and funny stories in overeem's career that he's probably been the single best guy to be a fan of

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
purely in terms of skillset and physical attributes overeem is probably the best heavyweight to ever live and yet i was 100% convinced he was going to lose to todd duffee. that's special in a way that no accolades or championships will ever convey.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm still reading that article but lol this is perfect

quote:

I got to the airport in Vegas and the UFC picks me up and they ask, ‘you're here by yourself?' I say, yeah, I'll be here most of the week by myself. And they're like, ‘okay.' The guy gets on the phone and he starts saying, ‘hey, Alvin is here by himself. We need to get him some security.'

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

good but also let's take a moment to realise what was lost

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i thought it was scummy when dana was trying to get chuck/wanderlei together and went to the press saying wanderlei was scared to strongarm him into signing the bout agreement, but i have no issue with trying to force a guy who's been champion for a couple of weeks to fight the guy he's supposed to fight instead of his own personal mindgarden fights

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

He's been out for nine months "on classified assignment" (ie at an undisclosed location not getting USADA tested) but he claims he's signed for a fight coming up in the fall

is that really why he wasn't being tested? i thought he was pretending he wasn't going to fight again and not signing the paperwork while he made sure everything was out of his system

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

threeagainstfour posted:

Dodson vs Lineker October 1st

heck yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Wait til you guys see the videos he's done for Alex Jones' site

hes in good company