Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was 13 when 9/11 happened. I was in Math class and our teacher brought in the TV and started explaining who was whom and stuff. I remember him saying something like "Thank God" when Yasser Arafat came out against the attack. I remember crying, because my grandfather had died only a few years earlier and all these deaths suddenly reminded me of him.

I was 15 when the Iraq War started. As a french-canadian, I can say no one here liked it. My whole high school walked in peace marchs. No one could really believe this was really happening, we kept hoping that Bush and his team would listen to reason, see how bad they looked and decide not to do it. They did it. America-bashing became pretty common. Michael Moore movies got big premieres with all our celebrities and politicians (I remember saying our current super terrible provincial Prime Minister at the Farenheit 9/11 premiere, I had won tickets) and got standing ovations.

I remember feeling a crushing sense of hopelessness when Bush got reelected. How could anyone vote for him? And then we got Harper in Canada and my province became a complete shitshow and I've learned that hope is a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread