Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ScreamingLlama posted:

The Greens

Composed of most of the Auspol regulars and a bunch of tree-hugging, unvaccinated, stoner hippy twats, The Greens oppose the production of nuclear medicine, the fluoridation of drinking water, particle research, genetic engineering and reprocessing of nuclear waste even though these things would greatly benefit Australia. All Greens bow before the altar of Richard DiNatale.

How the hell does someone get Di Natale and Ludlam confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those 3000 dogs a year aren't gonna kill themselves, you gotta have dog killers.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

EvilElmo posted:

"You don't get rid of everyone's livelihood overnight with no warning. Not everyone in the industry is a villain - Shorten on Greyhound ban."

Something something live export.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Coalition MPs have warned the Opposition Leader's push for a treaty with Indigenous people would be a "bridge too far" for many Australians and could "confuse and harm" the campaign for Indigenous constitutional recognition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cbkxn4G8U

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

"You don't get rid of everyone's livelihood overnight with no warning. Not everyone in the industry is a villain - Shorten on Greyhound ban."

Alice Workman tweeted that.

Nothing incorrect about that statement if its accurate. It's buzzfeed so.. you know... high chance it isn't.

I trust buzzfeed more than I trust news corpse

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

Coalition MPs have warned the Opposition Leader's push for a treaty with Indigenous people would be a "bridge too far" for many white Australians and could "confuse and harm" their precious white person feelings.

Fixed that for you.

It's amazing some of the cognitive dissonance we go through. Saw a thing on ABC News last night about white folks in South African ghettos. Now, the people in charge of South Africa should be treating all people equally, and if they're not there's definitely a story here. However there are specifically white charity groups (jesus) and one older guy said straight up "what do they have against whites?" Like gently caress, figure it out dude you lived through it.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

I trust buzzfeed more than I trust news corpse

Because their lies reflect your world view, like news corp lies reflect the conservative world view.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Of all the things to go against the focus groups on they choose greyhound racing

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Lid posted:

You absolutely can.

God who on Labor thought this is the issue to take a stand on? It can't have even been focus grouped because the thing has 80% support.

Yeah, I don't really understand that argument. If a "livelihood" exclusively has negative repercussions does it actually deserve to exist?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Because their lies reflect your world view, like news corp lies reflect the conservative world view.

Show me where they have lied and I might consider thinking about possibly agreeing with one specific post of yours.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BBJoey posted:

Of all the things to go against the focus groups on they choose greyhound racing
The ALP NSW right have to have somewhere locally to launder their money.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand that argument. If a "livelihood" exclusively has negative repercussions does it actually deserve to exist?

I said it last time, greyhound owners aren't horse owners. They're not millionaires, they're generally living in the outer semi-rural areas of Sydney/Melbourne with not a lot of cash to rub together. So cutting their only form of income with no support is a typical Liberal idea. The attitude of posters in here are why the Greens are called Tree Tories. If it's not an industry they support, gently caress em, let them rot. Who cares about the impact it will have on families who rely in winnings from greyhound racing to survive.

Kill the industry, but do it right.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Alice Workman tweeted that.

Nothing incorrect about that statement if its accurate. It's buzzfeed so.. you know... high chance it isn't.

Buzzfeed: More accurate than the nations newspapers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is a funny definition of 'no warning' too, given that things started with a very public report and we are now literally at the stage of 'the premier is putting a stop to this but hasn't dropped the hammer yet'.

I'd call that plenty of warning!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EvilElmo posted:

I said it last time, greyhound owners aren't horse owners. They're not millionaires, they're generally living in the outer semi-rural areas of Sydney/Melbourne with not a lot of cash to rub together. So cutting their only form of income with no support is a typical Liberal idea. The attitude of posters in here are why the Greens are called Tree Tories. If it's not an industry they support, gently caress em, let them rot. Who cares about the impact it will have on families who rely in winnings from greyhound racing to survive.

What an utterly bullshit argument.

The greyhound racing 'industry' extracts millions billions of dollars from the poor and underpriviledged through gambling.

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/greyhound-racing-money-trail.php

quote:

A Productivity Commission review estimated the total social cost of problem gambling to be at least $4.7 billion a year. And a 2014 Price Waterhouse Coopers report concluded that the NSW racing industry is a 'consumptive sector', and doesn't 'generate any significant productivity benefits to the rest of the economy'.

The tiny number of people who are going to 'lose an income' from this in no way justifies any of the exploitative (to both animals and people) poo poo going down in the 'industry'.

And what's with the Green bashing? It was an LNP government, the loving Productivity Commission and any number of animal welfare groups AND the general public who want this poo poo stopped. Those thousand people directly employed by the NSW 'industry' need to find less awful jobs or go on welfare.

And let it be an object lesson in where self regulation can lead. Now isn't that a typical Liberal idea?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Not torturing refugees is something that you can not make a stance against because of popular opinion.

Not torturing dogs is something that should be resisted in a principled stance against the wave of popular opinion.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
love 2 murder dogs and crush the poor through gambling

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not torturing refugees is something that you can not make a stance against because of popular opinion.

Not torturing dogs is something that should be resisted in a principled stance against the wave of popular opinion.

look mate, you stop torturing refugees where are refugee torturers going to make a livelihood

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Seagull posted:

look mate, you stop torturing refugees where are refugee torturers going to make a livelihood

Greyhound training?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Cartoon posted:

What an utterly bullshit argument.

The greyhound racing 'industry' extracts millions billions of dollars from the poor and underpriviledged through gambling.

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/features/greyhound-racing-money-trail.php

The tiny number of people who are going to 'lose an income' from this in no way justifies any of the exploitative (to both animals and people) poo poo going down in the 'industry'.

And what's with the Green bashing? It was an LNP government, the loving Productivity Commission and any number of animal welfare groups AND the general public who want this poo poo stopped. Those thousand people directly employed by the NSW 'industry' need to find less awful jobs or go on welfare.

And let it be an object lesson in where self regulation can lead. Now isn't that a typical Liberal idea?

quote:

Can we get a new thread made? One where you can link every issue to refugees instead of crapping this one up with the same old poo poo?

WAIT SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT ANOTHER POLICY, QUICK!

the circle jerk posted:

SOMETHINGSOMETHING REFUGEES!

the circle jerk 2 posted:

Great post, something refugees. torture.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Labor must've got it in their head their avenue to government is western S
ydney battlers, hence gently caress the refugees, and rural NSW, hence gently caress the dogs. I'm guessing they think Turnull's soft liberalism has made them fertile ground to flip.

They are amazingly wrong.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Lid posted:

Labor must've got it in their head their avenue to government is western S
ydney battlers, hence gently caress the refugees, and rural NSW, hence gently caress the dogs. I'm guessing they think Turnull's soft liberalism has made them fertile ground to flip.

They are amazingly wrong.

You all seem to not actually have read what Alice Workman tweeted. You've just made up what Shorten said and made it bigger than it actually was.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Can we get a new thread made? One where you can link every issue to refugees instead of crapping this one up with the same old poo poo?

So whats it like defending people who torture refugees?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

EvilElmo posted:

You all seem to not actually have read what Alice Workman tweeted. You've just made up what Shorten said and made it bigger than it actually was.

No its pretty accurate to Luke Foley

I.e.

Luke Foley says ban on greyhound industry is nothing more than a ‘mass slaughter’

STATE opposition leader Luke Foley fired up hundreds of greyhound trainers and owners today, telling them the Baird Government would employ a crematorium to incinerate dogs after he banned their sport next year.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Lid posted:

STATE opposition leader Luke Foley fired up hundreds of greyhound trainers and owners today, telling them the Baird Government would employ a crematorium to incinerate dogs after he banned their sport next year.

"but those are my dogs to murder!"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
maybe labor isn't after the populist vote after all but just whatever leads to the most torture

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

EvilElmo posted:

Yeah I agree we should never talk about our country's policy of committing crimes against humanity.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Lid posted:

No its pretty accurate to Luke Foley

I.e.

Luke Foley says ban on greyhound industry is nothing more than a ‘mass slaughter’

Soooo, why are we talking about Federal issues (asylum seekers) and Federal leaders (Turnbull) when talking about Greyhound banning (a state issue).

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
South Australia

4 Liberal 3 NXT 3 Labor 1 Green 1 Family First

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Has this Shorten quote appeared anywhere of note yet? Nothing on SMH as far as I can see or the Guardian.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Soooo, why are we talking about Federal issues (asylum seekers) and Federal leaders (Turnbull) when talking about Greyhound banning (a state issue).

Because only idiots and gullible fools believe there is zero interaction between state and federal branches of political parties.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EvilElmo posted:

Um please point out any mention or even insinuation of Australia's refugee policy in my rebuttal of your entire point from a number of directions.

Evil Elmo : Oh gently caress!!! Someone's engaged in the argument and has made a bunch of really good well source points OH gently caress!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! Panic stations!!!!

DEFLECT!!! DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!

Phew I think it worked

/Evil Elmo

Hey dude why don't you make that thread you want? Here's a suggested title: AusPol thread for whiny pissants who can't argue in good faith. Show ALP membership card before posting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

Hi, ScreamingLlama here, fresh off my latest probation after being relentlessly bullied by a bunch of hippy-dippy hypocrites with the mentality of unmedicated junior highschoolers . Welcome to the August thread for AusPol, a Green Party echo chamber ringing with the howls of perpetually outraged SJWs, the jeers of stoned latte-sipping hipsters and the furious masturbation of self-styled political pundits.

After a long, exhausting knife-edge election, we ended up with more or less the same lovely government with the same lovely policies. Things took a turn for the interesting, though, when it turned out that the Northern Territory was secretly running its juvenile detention facilities in a similar manner to the reform schools of old. Another Royal Commission is in the works.

Our Politicians And Their Parties

Liberal Party of Australia and National Party/Liberal National Party

Lead (for a certain value of 'leadership') by the ultra-capitalist, refugee-torturing, smug bastard Malcolm "Jobs and Growth" Turnbull after having knifed Tony "Keep Calm And Eat Raw Onion" Abbott, the LNP maintains a strong policy of torturing refugees, pissing on the poor and disabled, demanding LGBTs have less rights, slashing funding to public services and handing billions in tax breaks to rich people who don't need them.

Australian Labor Party

Eight years ago, the ALP were the proud ruling party making the Australian economy soar and making us look like rockstars on the global stage. Now, after years of infighting, arrogant posturing and pretending not to hear the electorate, they have been consigned to opposition for another term, with Bill "I Can't Remember That Prick's Name" Shorten holding onto the steering yoke with a confused look on his face as his clueless party colleagues self-destructively egg him on. The ALP maintains a strong platform of torturing refugees, spending exorbitant amounts of money on harebrained schemes, pretending half their party doesn't want people to get gay married right the hell now, slashing funding to business incentives and handing out billions in aid to failed states.

The Greens

Composed of most of the Auspol regulars and a bunch of tree-hugging, unvaccinated, stoner hippy twats, The Greens oppose the production of nuclear medicine, the fluoridation of drinking water, particle research, genetic engineering and reprocessing of nuclear waste even though these things would greatly benefit Australia. All Greens bow before the altar of Richard DiNatale.

One Nation, led by recent Senator-elect Pauline Hanson (despite her recently discovered Middle Eastern ancestry), is an anti-Muslim, anti-halal, anti-immigrant, anti-gay, anti-indigenous white supremacist party bent of making sure that only fair-skinned flaxen-haired Anglo-Saxon Christians are permitted to be Australian. One Nation members and supporters both are uniformly terrible people.

Nice meltdown.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Um please point out any mention or even insinuation of Australia's refugee policy in my rebuttal of your entire point from a number of directions.

Evil Elmo : Oh gently caress!!! Someone's engaged in the argument and has made a bunch of really good well source points OH gently caress!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! Panic stations!!!!

DEFLECT!!! DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!DEFLECT!!!

Phew I think it worked

/Evil Elmo

Hey dude why don't you make that thread you want? Here's a suggested title: AusPol thread for whiny pissants who can't argue in good faith. Show ALP membership card before posting.

quote:

You didn't others did. I didn't need to respond to your "rebuttal" because you didn't read past the first sentence. Read the last one, I quoted it again when I responded to your post and added it for you again here.

edit: At no point have I argued for keeping the Greyhound industry open. You've created an argument that doesn't exist. You got hard, did a bunch of googlefu and posted up a heap of information for nothing. I want the industry closed, but posters here and the Liberals in NSW are of the view that we should just shut it down, don't support the people who currently rely on it. It's a completely legal profession, like all industry closures it needs to be managed well. Something posters in here and the Liberals in NSW don't think is important because they don't like the people who are in the industry.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 2, 2016

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Elmo has a point - we've thrown billions after overseas car companies to keep some jobs here in Australia.

And while we all abhor the sport these people are in legal, self-employed professions. I'm not saying give them handouts or anything but perhaps a deadline for the ban - make it effective from 2017 or something so they can continue making money while looking for other avenues?

The problem there of course is that banning the sport is because of it killing dogs, so allowing it to continue results in more dead dogs... gently caress, I'm not sure what to do.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I think we should incinerate all the greyhound owners and spend money on reskilling the greyhounds as lapdogs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Elmo has a point - we've thrown billions after overseas car companies to keep some jobs here in Australia.

And while we all abhor the sport these people are in legal, self-employed professions. I'm not saying give them handouts or anything but perhaps a deadline for the ban - make it effective from 2017 or something so they can continue making money while looking for other avenues?

The problem there of course is that banning the sport is because of it killing dogs, so allowing it to continue results in more dead dogs... gently caress, I'm not sure what to do.

It is effective from next year. July 1. How much more time would you want to give them?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I think we should incinerate all the greyhound owners and spend money on reskilling the greyhounds as lapdogs

They dont need to be reskilled, greyhounds are exceptionally lazy when not racing.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Frogmanv2 posted:

It is effective from next year. July 1. How much more time would you want to give them?

I wasn't aware, sorry. That sounds like plenty of time to me, but depends on the individuals involved. What's the job market like in NSW? I'm in SA and it's pretty bloody dire here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

EvilElmo posted:

You didn't others did. I didn't need to respond to your "rebuttal" because you didn't read past the first sentence. Read the last one, I quoted it again when I responded to your post and added it for you again here.

edit: At no point have I argued for keeping the Greyhound industry open. You've created an argument that doesn't exist. You got hard, did a bunch of googlefu and posted up a heap of information for nothing. I want the industry closed, but posters here and the Liberals in NSW are of the view that we should just shut it down, don't support the people who currently rely on it. It's a completely legal profession, like all industry closures it needs to be managed well. Something posters in here and the Liberals in NSW don't think is important because they don't like the people who are in the industry.
Rubbish. I addressed specific points you made in the para above your oft self quoted acceptance that this poo poo needs to stop. One of the problems with self regulation occurs when the participants make no provision for the circumstances that now exist in NSW. Another version of victim blaming and 'They brought in on themselves'? Well possibly. An industry ending package from government is entirely appropriate. They can spend some of the 14 million currently subsiding greyhound racing in NSW on it (amounts to ~$14000 per annum for each direct employee). It will of course fail to do any good because there aren't the same job opportunities in Australia that there were previously but if we are going to broaden the argument to everything that is wrong in the world...

Oh and boo hoo bad me for actually seeking some facts about this. That clearly won't do. Bad me! I'll never do it again!* Informed argument is for chumps!

*Offer void.

• Locked thread