Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Not quite sure why the loving ministers aren't forced to stay in the chamber whilst in session anyway :shrug:

Wish my job was flexible enough that I could just decide to leave whenever I want even though there might be urgent work required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

iajanus posted:

Not quite sure why the loving ministers aren't forced to stay in the chamber whilst in session anyway :shrug:

Wish my job was flexible enough that I could just decide to leave whenever I want even though there might be urgent work required.

I know everyone in here must defend the Greens and they can do no wrong.

But this is why everyone who wasn't in the chamber for the vote last night hosed up. It isn't a majority Government. 1 LNP too drunk to turn up, gone home early, sick, whatever, and you can push things through the lower house.

If that was Labor's SSM bill being discussed last night, would you have defended Bandt for going home early and being the reason it wasn't passed?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

mps and senators always gently caress off early instead of doing their jobs, it's hardly an earth-shattering revelation.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

mps and senators always gently caress off early instead of doing their jobs, it's hardly an earth-shattering revelation.

Before it didn't matter. Yesterday was a Bas Rutten liver punch wake-up call. People are panicking about this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
oh look, van badham is back

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Seems pretty clear cut that Bandt should've been around but wasn't. Let's not be so in love with the Greens that we fail to be able to properly evaluate things anymore. Being ready for surprise lower house wins should now be part of Bandt's responsibilities as a Greens MP.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AgentF posted:

Seems pretty clear cut that Bandt should've been around but wasn't. Let's not be so in love with the Greens that we fail to be able to properly evaluate things anymore. Being ready for surprise lower house wins should now be part of Bandt's responsibilities as a Greens MP.

Yes, apparently they should wait for orders from the ALP lol.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

This is a really strange hill to die on.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Perhaps if the ALP had actually consulted with Bandt and convinced him to stick around or even told him what was going on he might have stuck around to vote and embarrass the government. Perhaps the ALP did, and he didn't care. Perhaps he already did went home before knowing that labor had a ~masterstroke plan~ to embarrass the government. Do we even actually know what happened in the house? Because right now we're all just assuming things to sling poo poo at the other less/more progressive party of choice.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

That's not what's being said, what's being said is that when the government has a 1 vote majority in the reps chances will appear to either embarrass them or actually pass a substantive vote so people should probably remain for the full sitting period.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Aesculus posted:

Perhaps if the ALP had actually consulted with Bandt and convinced him to stick around or even told him what was going on he might have stuck around to vote and embarrass the government. Perhaps the ALP did, and he didn't care. Perhaps he already did went home before knowing that labor had a ~masterstroke plan~ to embarrass the government. Do we even actually know what happened in the house? Because right now we're all just assuming things to sling poo poo at the other less/more progressive party of choice.

I'm not slinging poo poo at an "other" party, I'm a greens voter that has the audacity to suggest that my one rep in parliament should not gently caress off home until after the voting stops.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Aesculus posted:

Exactly. I've asked Bandt if he had heard from the ALP, waiting for an answer. I find it a really bizarre idea that somehow minor parties and independents are now apparently responsible for whatever the ALP fails to do. I expect this poo poo from a shill like VanElmo (and his new acolyte Tirade), but its a bit sad that others aren't up to speed.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

Exactly. I've asked Bandt if he had heard from the ALP, waiting for an answer. I find it a really bizarre idea that somehow minor parties and independents are now apparently responsible for whatever the ALP fails to do. I expect this poo poo from a shill like VanElmo (and his new acolyte Tirade), but its a bit sad that others aren't up to speed.

...and you accuse others of poor reading comprehension.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tirade posted:

I'm not slinging poo poo at an "other" party, I'm a greens voter that has the audacity to suggest that my one rep in parliament should not gently caress off home until after the voting stops.

That's my feeling on this issue. I'm a Greens supporter but still think Bandt should take responsibility for staying the whole time since it's obvious that these sorts of opportunities will spring up.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Bandt's no rookie and knows the potential of his vote in this house. He should be sticking around to seize opportunities as they come up, not getting on early flights home, regardless of what the ALP shares with him.

He should be there to give his constituents a voice in the house even if his vote isn't a decider.

Obviously we don't know his or the Green's decision making but he was absent from a significant vote and on the face of it there's not a good reason why.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So there were what? 13 missing MPs, physcially or effectively by abstaining, in the first procedural vote?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Could they have used last night to vote on legislation like SSM or something like that or is there a process that needs to be followed before laws can be voted on?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Bandt shoulda stayed what a poo poo look.

More importantly WTF something wonky??? No no no. A stagnant wingnut loon pond of a government and you wanna wrap things up? Bullshit no way.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

Could they have used last night to vote on legislation like SSM or something like that or is there a process that needs to be followed before laws can be voted on?

My understanding is that the government controls what bills go up for debate and what don't, but I am not sure if they do this through procedure or not. If it is simply a case of a procedural vote then it's likely the opposition could very well get the bill tabled, up for debate, and past the third reading if, and only if, they all know what's going on and are unified enough to do so.

For all those arguing it's Bandt's responsibility to know what's going on, yes you're right. For those arguing it's in Shorten and the ALP's interests to let mcgowan, bandt, etc know what's going on, you're also right.

You can all be right about the same thing, but last night's vote wasn't any less historic for not having them there. In fact it was even more serious because it shows the ALP can pull these kind of moves all on their own without the other parties and still make the government put on the brown underwear.

Responsibility be damned though. It's in the interests of the ALP to do whatever it takes to make this stuff happen and if that means letting the minor parties know briefly ahead of time then so be it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

clusterfuck posted:

Bandt shoulda stayed what a poo poo look.

More importantly WTF something wonky??? No no no. A stagnant wingnut loon pond of a government and you wanna wrap things up? Bullshit no way.

They seem to be using the excuse that iTunes can't handle more than 200 episodes. I blame the ALP.

Les Affaires posted:

For all those arguing it's Bandt's responsibility to know what's going on, yes you're right. For those arguing it's in Shorten and the ALP's interests to let mcgowan, bandt, etc know what's going on, you're also right.

Responsibility be damned though. It's in the interests of the ALP to do whatever it takes to make this stuff happen and if that means letting the minor parties know briefly ahead of time then so be it.

Thank you, adult poster Les Affaires :v:

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

ewe2 posted:

They seem to be using the excuse that iTunes can't handle more than 200 episodes. I blame the ALP.

Yeah nah, it sounds like they're a bit sick of talking to each other and maybe sick of taking Australian politics seriously. Fair enough but that's a big loss. I was hoping they might go for more comedy in the face of this joke government. Actually, nah really it's just a prank isn't it? They should push on until they become burnt out self parodying shells of themselves, Stewart Lee style bitterly ironic self caricature.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 2, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/labor-announces-light-rail-to-go-to-woden-20160901-gr6dls.html

ACT Labor continue to be best Labor.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Bandt should have been hanging around, it's pretty basic stuff. EE is correct, he displayed the same care as the stooges in the LNP.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

clusterfuck posted:

Yeah nah, it sounds like they're a bit sick of talking to each other and maybe sick of taking Australian politics seriously. Fair enough but that's a big loss.

It seems they might be each doing their own podcast, I've just listened to the current one. They have been doing this sort of thing for a long time though, and other podcasts are springing up (although I don't think much of them), so plus ça change.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nope, Vic Labor superior, sorry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vic, nice place to live, work and have a family holiday then lose your minds in a group paranoid psychotic break

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

Nope, Vic Labor superior, sorry.

Haven't heard any leaks out of ACT Labor recently

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mickdundee48/status/771471424682725376

Now he is just taking the piss.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Haven't heard any leaks out of ACT Labor recently

Just means ACT aren't good enough at purging ne'er-do-wells and counter-revolutionaries from cabinet.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I know Brisgoons will miss the slick Action Hero vibe of former Brisbane Lord Mayor Candidate Rod Harding.

Fear not, a new Labor Council Opposition Leader is on the block!

Fear his tech-savvy ways!

http://www.petercumming.com

https://www.facebook.com/Cr-Peter-Cumming-for-Wynnum-Manly-Ward-416812338474208/

RIP Dick Harding, 2016-2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Peter

Cumming

:cripes:

What awful parents.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

perfect

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But why Yellow????

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

I know Brisgoons will miss the slick Action Hero vibe of former Brisbane Lord Mayor Candidate Rod Harding.

Fear not, a new Labor Council Opposition Leader is on the block!

Fear his tech-savvy ways!

http://www.petercumming.com

https://www.facebook.com/Cr-Peter-Cumming-for-Wynnum-Manly-Ward-416812338474208/

RIP Dick Harding, 2016-2016

I think I prefer Rod Harding to Cumming.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

But why Yellow????

Because nobody wants to see Peter Cumming.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Anidav posted:

But why Yellow????

Its the essence of Peter Cumming on your eyes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mollous/status/771472783406567424

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

This is going to be one of those things they point to, to show how hosed we all were in 50 years time. Like the wheelbarrows of cash in Weimar Germany.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Legit mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao how the gently caress?

You need to be 18 to do most adult things but a 6 year old can buy a house?

• Locked thread