Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:barf:

quote:

North shore mum shells out to buy unit for six-year-old daughter

A MILSONS POINT mum has joined a new wave of parents ‘shelling out’ for their kids to give them a leg up into Sydney’s booming property market.

Brenda Wayman - mother-of-one - bought an apartment on the lower north shore at auction this month for her six-year-old daughter Matilda.
Brenda Wayman bought a house for her six year old daughter Matilda last week.

Ms Wayman, who lives in Milsons Point, said she had decided to invest in a place for her daughter to live in on advice from her solicitor.

“He said, ‘if you don’t get her into the market in Sydney now, she probably will never be able to do it’,” Ms Wayman, who owns a real estate business, said.

“He just said, ‘start thinking about her future because it’s going to be difficult.”

The light-filled, one-bedroom apartment in Wollstonecraft “ticked all the boxes”, she said.

The home, which had already been let out since the auction, would be somewhere her daughter could live when she left home “to have her own space and not have to pay someone else’s mortgage”, she added.

Not that Matilda would know this for some time – Ms Wayman said she did not want her daughter to know about the house until she was older.

:barf:“I don’t want her to think this is the norm – I want her to realise people have to work for things in life,”:barf: said Ms Wayman, who grew up in western Sydney.

The north shore mum is part of a growing trend of worried parents looking to fork out for their kids, including friends who had already done so and even some with newborns who were thinking about it, she said.

Two other bidders at the auction this month had also been looking to buy for their kids, she added.

“I keep saying the bubble will burst but people want to live in Sydney … they continue to flock here from everywhere.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...8192696df3252f8

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anidav posted:

Lmao how the gently caress?

You need to be 18 to do most adult things but a 6 year old can buy a house?

Probably set up in a trust.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People setting their kids up isn't really anything new?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

lmao

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

open24hours posted:

Different pattern surely? Earlier this would be happening in working class and migrant communities (and generally later in life.) This is a North Shore property for a six year old.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol sydney

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Different pattern surely? Earlier this would be happening in working class and migrant communities (and generally later in life.) This is a North Shore property for a six year old.

North Shore types would be the most likely to get a trust set up for them though? Whether it's a house or shares or gold bars or whatever doesn't matter.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
It's a pretty weird financial decision because the property market will obviously be in a completely different position by the time that kid is an adult. Then again, if I was bourgie/privileged enough to own a flat with no effort expended on my part whatsoever when I finished school I guess I wouldn't complain. A trust fund would make more sense though.

Also, are we going to move on from this god forsaken August thread?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Auspol September - It has been alleged that he killed his ex girlfriends cat after sending a series of love letters to it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Did anybody have claims to September?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Auspol September - The Malcolm Express, it's all downhill and theres no brakes....
http://imgur.com/a/Hj9Oj

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Australian Politics: loving Dogs and Killing Cats

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone do September before Llama does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Auspol September: a literal dead cat bounce

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
it;s the thread we deserve

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

I know Brisgoons will miss the slick Action Hero vibe of former Brisbane Lord Mayor Candidate Rod Harding.

Fear not, a new Labor Council Opposition Leader is on the block!

Fear his tech-savvy ways!

http://www.petercumming.com

https://www.facebook.com/Cr-Peter-Cumming-for-Wynnum-Manly-Ward-416812338474208/

RIP Dick Harding, 2016-2016

Pete's my local councilor, and he's loving bulletproof. He visits every house in the electorate on a yearly basis, and has a reputation as problem solver.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Fortmonthly threads.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-02/renee-eaves-police-file-accessed-14000-in-claimed-privacy-abuse/7807868

quote:

A social justice advocate has had her personal file accessed by Queensland police 1,400 times since 2008, which she says is an abuse of privacy.

The database, where her file was accessed, is a secure online tool capturing administrative and intelligence information, which police access during the course of their work, such as when checking a speeding motorist.

Queensland Council for Civil Liberties advocate Renee Eaves, who does not have a criminal record, submitted a Right to Information (RTI) request in to see how many times her Queensland Police Records and Information Management Exchange (QPRIME) file had been accessed.

She was startled to see it had been checked 1,400 from 2008 to May.

In a move that surprises noone, QLD police are hosed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
There's still room for at least one more poo poo post in this thread. <-Here's the evidence.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cartoon posted:

There's still room for at least one more poo poo post in this thread. <-Here's the evidence.

This is my problem whenever someone says this thread is full of dickheads despite us always being able to accommodate a few more

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
auspol spring: gently caress off we're full of dickheads

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This post would have been really funny if the world filter had picked up "social justice advocate"

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Australian Politics: loving Dogs and Killing Cats

I prefer "Dog-fuckers and Cat-killers" but this is the best so far either way.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

thatbastardken posted:

Pete's my local councilor, and he's loving bulletproof. He visits every house in the electorate on a yearly basis, and has a reputation as problem solver.

Tell him to hire a web designer.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cirofren posted:

I prefer "Dog-fuckers and Cat-killers" but this is the best so far either way.

that's already the NRL thread title so would be p. confusing

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Labor shouldn't support Newstart cuts. It would be a moral and electoral mistake

Murray Holm knows what it’s like to be unemployed. The longtime Tafe teacher found himself suddenly redundant after Campbell Newman’s Queensland government took a razor to his sector back in 2014.

Up in Townsville, the experienced, qualified Holm didn’t hold out much hope of finding another job. The northern city has become the “unemployment capital of Australia”, with a rate that hit 14.8% in June, and Holm’s 60s were approaching. He found himself dependent on his partner, a health worker, who was also fearing for her job in an atmosphere of cuts.

Holm spent 18 months unemployed – a period he says damaged his mental health. “You go out every day and there’s nothing there, so it gets to the stage where you think ‘Why go out? Why bother even looking anymore?’”.

His fortunes changed with the election of Queensland’s Palaczszuk government. He didn’t get his Tafe job back, but a state government initiative recruited him into a support role in a dedicated service for Townsville’s unemployed youth. For them, the local unemployment rate is even more dire at over 20%. For Indigenous youth, it’s hitting 30%.

Holm suspects it may be even higher than that – a third of his clients aren’t counted in the rate because they’re ineligible for Newstart. He knows from his own experience that “the jobs aren’t there”, and that local unemployment has had a cascading effect. “People don’t go out as much as they used to, they don’t spend money,” he says, “it’s hard for businesses to take on new staff.”

No one can seriously argue that unemployment in a places like Townsville – or South Australia, western Tasmania, the NSW central and south coasts or anywhere unemployment is hitting double figures – results from a coincidental mass of individual lack of gumption, yet it’s kids like the ones Murray Holm supports that were denounced last week by the treasurer, Scott Morrison, as the “taxed nots”. The implication is that those dependent on Newstart’s rate of around $13,720 a year are merely bludging off other taxpayers, and at the expense of the budget’s bottom line.

Oxfam condemned this as demonisation, and yet it’s a principle informing a raft of measures affecting the unemployed and other welfare recipients the Coalition is currently trying to get through parliament. The removal of compensation for the repealed carbon tax and the abolition of an income support bonus payment will hit the unemployed for up to $9.80 a week – a devastating penalty for those already living $189.71 below the Henderson poverty line. Peter Martin in Fairfax claims it is “a real cut to the incomes of unemployed Australians, the first ever.”

It’s already hard enough. At 25, Jane Lancaster is one of Morrison’s “taxed-nots” from Nowra on the NSW south coast. She’s been unemployed since last November. Since then, she’s completed a certificate III to qualify her to work in aged care, but while that sector is growing, Lancaster’s job opportunities are not.

“It’s not as though I’m not looking,” she told me. “I get on the internet and throw out as many resumes as I can. I’ve even applied to work at McDonald’s but maybe I’m too old.” At 25? Lancaster can only guess that, “It’s easier to higher younger kids because they don’t expect a lot of money.” For her, a mere $9 “would be a huge amount” to lose, especially when circumstances are already punishing. “I’ve had a month where I just lived on noodles,” she says. There have been times she’s had to choose between feeding herself, or the dog.

Owen Bennett, from the Australian Unemployed Workers’ Union, claims it gets a lot worse than that. In a recent call out by the union that asked, “What do you go without on Newstart?”, the common themes were: going without food, avoiding medical treatment and living in precarious accommodation. Bennett explains that “housing takes up 60-70% of a Newstart cheque, and you have to penny pinch for the rest. The only way you can really survive is in shared housing.”

Pressurised living arrangements exacerbate other problems. The negative impact of unemployment on mental health is well understood , but precarious accommodation also creates vulnerabilities to domestic violence and other forms of abuse.

Among Morrison’s measures, Bennett draws attention to another $2bn of broader social security cuts the treasurer has pledged. “It’s based on more aggressive debt recovery tactics,” says Bennett of plans to enforce stricter penalties for missed appointments, fare evasion, hire-purchases and loan repayments.

“There are so many attacks. It’s counterintuitive – every percentage of unemployment that exists decreases the income of the government in tax revenue, and money circulating in the economy. It’s why the Business Council is finally saying it’s too low. Conservative groups are saying it’s too low.”

But the government isn’t saying it’s too low, and they’re hoping to wedge Labor into a false narrative of “fiscal responsibility” to join them – all the while the fiscal irresponsibility of the unemployment crisis devastates communities like Townsville, and unjustly injures struggling individuals everywhere.

That’s why the graduates of Murray Holm’s program were motivated to make signs and stake out a stretch of Townsville freeway this week, making a visual political demand for the right to become taxpayers through the provision of paid work. It’s why Owen Bennett is reaching out to people to organise the unemployed in a nationwide organisation, and why in April Jade Lancaster hitched a ride to Canberra to speak at a protest on the Parliament House lawn demanding real government action on jobs.

Many political commentators have suggested that the downfall of Tony Abbott was rooted in the perceived unfairness of his welfare-bashing budget of 2013. Labor – yet to declare its hand on these latest cuts – would be wise to analyse both Abbott’s lesson and the paradox of gaining more of the centre every time they differentiate themselves from the Liberals by moving left.

There’s not just a moral imperative for Labor to protect the unemployed from exploitation. With record votes travelling to minor parties, the government on a knife edge, and a sea of marginal seats with employment problems up for grabs, there’s also a pragmatic one.

You just read a Van Badham Article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/02/labor-shouldnt-support-newstart-cuts-it-would-be-a-moral-and-electoral-mistake

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jumpingmanjim posted:

you motherfucker

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

gently caress you

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Not me, I'm illiterate.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Still better than first dog

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/LladyMax/status/771455960426565632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
I'll do an op tonight if screamingmeltdown doesn't beat me too it.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I took my dog to the park this morning and had an elderly man come up to me to warn me that there are 'muzzo families' in the area that would very much like to steal and eat my dog. I guess there's not enough Asians in Stirling for old people to accuse of dog-eating :australia:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.theland.com.au/story/4139290/death-threats-and-hate-speech-force-academic-to-abandon-wild-dog-talk/?cs=4951

A LEADING academic was forced to withdraw from presenting a thought-provoking research paper promoting improved wild dog controls after being confronted with social media death threats and “hate speech” by extreme animal rights activists.

[...]

His paper - Creating Dingo Meat Products for South East Asia; potential market opportunities and cultural dilemmas - was designed to promote scholarly discussion about the practical benefits and ethical considerations of enhancing wild dog controls by exporting potential food products into accepting Asian countries.

But the controversial premise of his work sparked significant backlash and ignited several social media petitions aimed at having the conference presentation aborted.

[...]

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Ten Becquerels posted:

I took my dog to the park this morning and had an elderly man come up to me to warn me that there are 'muzzo families' in the area that would very much like to steal and eat my dog. I guess there's not enough Asians in Stirling for old people to accuse of dog-eating :australia:

Don't Muslims generally have a huge cultural aversion to dogs? I wish racists could at least get their stories to make sense.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Don't Muslims generally have a huge cultural aversion to dogs? I wish racists could at least get their stories to make sense.

Racists are usually pretty loving stupid

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah dogs are 'ritually unclean' so they have to do ritual cleansing if they pet them its a real PITA having to wash your hand 7 times after petting a cute doggo. Worth it though.

Others dispute the sourcing of the relevant hadiths and pet dogs all day.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ten Becquerels posted:

Holy poo poo is this Stirling in Perth?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah dogs are 'ritually unclean' so they have to do ritual cleansing if they pet them its a real PITA having to wash your hand 7 times after petting a cute doggo. Worth it though.

Others dispute the sourcing of the relevant hadiths and pet dogs all day.

no the dogs are supposed to go in the pita

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
if the september op isn't up by seven i'm copying my critically acclaimed last one

• Locked thread