Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Quick, vote of no confidence now.

e:
https://twitter.com/KKeneally/status/771268790612926464
laffo

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

I seem to have missed a comment...what's happening?

Something something adults in charge.

(while the creepy uncle in the budgie smugglers and the creepy aunt with the fish & chip shop pash under the tree in the backyard)

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Where is Bandt/McGowen? They both gone home?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Comstar posted:

I seem to have missed a comment...what's happening?

Probably this one

V for Vegas posted:

Labor are winning votes in the reps. :lol:

----

EvilElmo posted:

Where is Bandt/McGowen? They both gone home?

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/771259463495888896

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Hmm.

Can't see them on the feed, so they must have gone home. Done a hard dash to the airport. Pretty amateur by the Greens all things considered. Cathy has more of an excuse, not as experienced as the Greens should be.

Now, which crossbencher flaked on this last vote.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
What are the votes on?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Seagull posted:

What are the votes on?

Moving towards a motion that there should be an RC. The one that was in the Senate earlier today. Takes a few procedures for it to happen.

Nothing major, would embarrass the Government, but not bind it to anything. But would be a real blow to the leadership team that they let it happen.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

Can't see them on the feed, so they must have gone home. Done a hard dash to the airport. Pretty amateur by the Greens all things considered. Cathy has more of an excuse, not as experienced as the Greens should be.

Now, which crossbencher flaked on this last vote.

Awww did the poor widdle major party forget to fill the Greens in on its special plans? Diddums.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Awww did the poor widdle major party forget to fill the Greens in on its special plans? Diddums.

Like, I mean you could say that.

But the reality is they didn't have good discipline if after the events earlier in the afternoon (418pm vote called, PM/DPM and a few other Libs didn't make the vote, Labor/Crossbench lost by 2 votes) they didn't hang around until the final vote of the day. It's the same poor discipline from the Liberal's that ended up costing them 3 votes in the lower house.

It's not up to the ALP to tell the Greens how to run their team, but if the Whip in the Greens didn't see this as a possibility and tell Bandt to get a slightly later flight, they need to be replaced (like Pyne).

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
hopefully this hoohah about chinese donations might lead to a broader look into donation reform, but I'm not holding my breath

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

It's not up to the ALP to tell the Greens how to run their team, but if the Whip in the Greens didn't see this as a possibility and tell Bandt to get a slightly later flight, they need to be replaced (like Pyne).

News flash, champ. They're not in the same party. The ALP has to convince the Greens its in their interest, not the other way around. I'm sure you'll also be sending a very strongly worded email to McGowan to remind her where her independent sympathies should lie. Gosh imagine what you could achieve with cooperation.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

starkebn posted:

hopefully this hoohah about chinese donations might lead to a broader look into donation reform, but I'm not holding my breath

It's all a distraction to get voter's/media's attention away from the same sex marriage debate. Why do you think Cory is going so hard over it?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

You Am I posted:

It's all a distraction to get voter's/media's attention away from the same sex marriage debate. Why do you think Cory is going so hard over it?

He can try to move focus away from SSM but I think that one's cooked and there's not going to be any movement from the different sides in parliament or the public.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

News flash, champ. They're not in the same party. The ALP has to convince the Greens its in their interest, not the other way around. I'm sure you'll also be sending a very strongly worded email to McGowan to remind her where her independent sympathies should lie. Gosh imagine what you could achieve with cooperation.

It's not up to the ALP to make sure Bandt doesn't take an early mark you weirdo.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Lol I missed this post:

ewe2 posted:

Bandt not being there to vote means we don't get a Royal Commission into the banking sector. That's not "diddums" unless you're some kind of Greens Van Badham knock off.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tirade posted:

Lol I missed this post:

Bandt not being there to vote means we don't get a Royal Commission into the banking sector. That's not "diddums" unless you're some kind of Greens Van Badham knock off.

lol it doesn't work like that matey.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 1, 2016

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The embarrassing thing is Labor won without the cross bench votes.

This won't mean squat to the general public and won't advance any real legislative change. But for the government to lose a vote in the house in the first week, when you know Labor are testing every vote, just screams incompetence and Labor and the gallery won't let them forget it.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Jumpingmanjim posted:

lol it doesn't work like that matey.

Hah yeah fair point, but it's still bizarre to claim that it's the ALP's fault for not telling Bandt to stick around until the end of play.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Tirade posted:

Lol I missed this post:

For those playing at home, only the Government can call a Royal Commission, it doesn't matter how many votes it does or doesn't get. The only person who can start a Royal Commission is Malcom Turnbull. Nothing Labor or the Greens do can change that fact.

Malcom Turnbull won't call a Royal Commission because whatever it would dig up is obviously far worse for him and his government than giving Labor endless free kicks on it, otherwise he would have called one already.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Labor will be emboldened to block a same-sex marriage plebiscite after the largest-ever poll on the issue found progressive voters overwhelmingly want to avoid Malcolm Turnbull's faltering plan for a public vote.

A ReachTEL poll of 10,271 voters, commissioned by the progressive Australia Institute and conducted on Tuesday evening, has found 59.7 per cent of voters support same-sex marriage and 40.3 per cent opposed it.

But asked whether legalisation of same-sex marriage should be decided by a national plebiscite, or a parliamentary vote, a bare majority of voters - just 51.7 per cent - backed the plebiscite and 48.3 per cent preferred a politicians' vote.

The poll's finding of strong support for same-sex marriage is consistent with the most recent Fairfax-Ipsos poll, but support for a plebiscite appears to have cooled amid furious political debate and deepening divisions along party political lines over the potential $160 million cost and the potential for hate speech to be unleashed.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
OMG it gets better - Christensen was whipping the vote

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Alleged 'would-be' IS fighter likened death in conflict to Super Mario shortcut, court told

A Melbourne man accused of trying to flee Australia by boat to fight for Islamic State said dying and going to paradise would be like taking a shortcut in a Super Mario video game, a court has heard.

Paul Dacre, 31, has been denied bail after police told the Melbourne Magistrates Court they held grave concerns he would commit a terrorist attack if released.

The Epping man is one of five accused of towing a boat from Melbourne to far north Queensland in May with the intent of sailing overseas to fight with the Islamic State group.

They are each charged with making preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities.

Dacre a 'grave threat', court told

Federal agent Jake Samson told the court police now believed the group was planning to travel to the southern Philippines to fight with militant groups aligned with Islamic State.

He said police had covertly recorded Dacre telling a friend he was intent on travelling to a conflict zone, likening it to advancing in a video game.

"We should be over there fighting. If we die ... that is like an instant ticket to paradise," he allegedly said.

"It's a shortcut ... it's like in Mario there's a thing you can get a whistle and you can go to another area immediately, it's like that."
In an affidavit tendered to the court, agent Samson said Dacre posed a grave threat to the community.

"It is likely the applicant considers that he is under an obligation in accordance with his extremist ideology, to commit acts of terrorism or violence within the Australian community," he said.

"The desire to travel to a conflict zone ... further indicates that the applicant is willing to put his life at risk for his extremist beliefs."

But defence lawyer Charlie Atlas told the court Dacre no longer held extremist views, if he ever did.

"The police in this case are embellishing," he said.

"He's needed at home for his own family, he's not a danger."

But the magistrate found Dacre's case did not constitute exceptional circumstances and denied his application for bail.

He was sent back to protective custody and will return to court later this month.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-01/man-charged-over-alleged-boat-escape-plot-refused-bail/7806762

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

V for Vegas posted:

They made that useless toad the whip?

It's a god drat warp whistle ffs ABC do your research :reject:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

You Am I posted:

They made that useless toad the whip?

It's a god drat warp whistle ffs ABC do your research :reject:

trap sprung

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wilson is quitting Nauru in 2017

quote:

Wilson Security says it no longer wants to work in Australia’s offshore detention regime. The company says it will leave the Manus Island and Nauru detention centres at the end of its contract, which leaves the government without a camp manager or security firm for the offshore detention network.

Wilson joins the Australian government’s major contractor running the camps, Broadspectrum – owned by Spanish giant Ferrovial – in announcing it will abandon offshore detention when the current contract ends in October 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/sep/01/wilson-security-to-withdraw-from-australias-offshore-detention-centres

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Bandt should have hung around to see what happened, I would assume the Greens would vote with the ALP in calling for the Government to hold a RC into the Banking sector. I thought the Greens in here had a hardon saying that "WE ASKED FOR IT FIRST!" when it came to a RC into banking.

Instead, he ran to the airport to get the early flight home before Parliament wrapped up for the week. An extra hour wouldn't have killed him. Hell, he could have flown back to Canberra and made in into the chamber in time for the final votes.

As I said, this was poor whipping by the Greens. Can't see how that statement is incorrect. Your only member in the lower house, the only house where the vote really matters in snap motions, was on a flight home when a majority Government lost a vote for the first time in (?) ~40 years. It's poor whipping, they should have made sure he stuck around.

The Liberals didn't know what was going to happen tonight, yet their whips and Pyne (apparently) told them to hang around just in case.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

EvilElmo posted:

Bandt should have hung around to see what happened, I would assume the Greens would vote with the ALP in calling for the Government to hold a RC into the Banking sector. I thought the Greens in here had a hardon saying that "WE ASKED FOR IT FIRST!" when it came to a RC into banking.

Instead, he ran to the airport to get the early flight home before Parliament wrapped up for the week. An extra hour wouldn't have killed him. Hell, he could have flown back to Canberra and made in into the chamber in time for the final votes.

As I said, this was poor whipping by the Greens. Can't see how that statement is incorrect. Your only member in the lower house, the only house where the vote really matters in snap motions, was on a flight home when a majority Government lost a vote for the first time in (?) ~40 years. It's poor whipping, they should have made sure he stuck around.

The Liberals didn't know what was going to happen tonight, yet their whips and Pyne (apparently) told them to hang around just in case.

Maybe it's payback for Labor's shiftiness on the same-sex marriage bill? Don't know.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Nationals chief whip. I think all the nats were in the chamber, so hard to blame him.

AFAIK, it was Keenan, Dutton (LNP but I think sits in Liberal party room federally), Christian Porter and Craig Kelly.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Maybe it's payback for Labor's shiftiness on the same-sex marriage bill? Don't know.

*shrug* Labor were talking about getting SSM through from opposition since election night. Can't really call it shifty. But if the Greens thought this was a masterstroke and taught Labor a lesson, I don't think they had the result they were expecting and probably better to just have Bandt in his office to see if their plan to punish Labor worked. If it looked like it wasn't going to work, he strolls in and votes.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 1, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

George Christensen has never hosed

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

BBJoey posted:

George Christensen has never hosed a human

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Noted labor supporter gets frothy about parliamentary support for whips

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Lol smdh at the idea of a "party whip" in the glorious revolution. Solidarity comes from within, greens are too busy poaching alp support in the community to bother with overpaid, white circlejerks

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

asio posted:

Lol smdh at the idea of a "party whip" in the glorious revolution. Solidarity comes from within, greens are too busy poaching alp support in the community to bother with overpaid, white circlejerks

You know the Greens have a whip right?

Solemn Sloth posted:

Noted labor supporter gets frothy about parliamentary support for whips

What? Can someone translate this shitpost for me?

I mean, feel free to defend Bandt for going home early instead of being part of something historic. Like I mean, his vote would have only meant the Speaker would have had to cast a vote in the final votes. The Speaker would traditionally have to cast his vote with the ALP/Crossbench to keep the debate going rather than to end it. This would have given Bandt time to talk about the need for an RC. It would have also put a lot more pressure on the Government, Turnbull and Pyne. Or the Speaker would have gone against tradition (unlikely, this Speaker actually seems to be taking it seriously) and that would have been a big story as well.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 1, 2016

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

EvilElmo posted:

You know the Greens have a whip right?

What? Can someone translate this shitpost for me?

I mean, feel free to defend Bandt for going home early instead of being part of something historic. Like I mean, his vote would have only meant the Speaker would have had to cast a vote in the final votes. The Speaker would traditionally have to cast his vote with the ALP/Crossbench to keep the debate going rather than to end it. This would have given Bandt time to talk about the need for an RC. It would have also put a lot more pressure on the Government, Turnbull and Pyne. Or the Speaker would have gone against tradition (unlikely, this Speaker actually seems to be taking it seriously) and that would have been a big story as well.

You aren't selling the gains made by playing along very well. A big story?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tirade posted:

It's not up to the ALP to make sure Bandt doesn't take an early mark you weirdo.

Son, you gotta learn to read a thread to understand the context of the comments. It won't make sense until you do. Best of luck with your reading comprehension, unless you're a Labor shill too in which case I'm sorry for your loss.

V for Vegas posted:

The embarrassing thing is Labor won without the cross bench votes.

This won't mean squat to the general public and won't advance any real legislative change. But for the government to lose a vote in the house in the first week, when you know Labor are testing every vote, just screams incompetence and Labor and the gallery won't let them forget it.

This, although somehow I doubt the gallery actually punishes anyone except by their constant begging for leaks.

shalcar posted:

For those playing at home, only the Government can call a Royal Commission, it doesn't matter how many votes it does or doesn't get. The only person who can start a Royal Commission is Malcom Turnbull. Nothing Labor or the Greens do can change that fact.

But it is funny, particularly when babies like EvilElmo rush in to blame other parties for the ALP's procedural motions not getting up (psst Tirade, that's the subject!), and particularly inexcusable from politicians on the Government side.

EvilElmo posted:

More whining.

Suck it, princess.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

Son, you gotta learn to read a thread to understand the context of the comments. It won't make sense until you do. Best of luck with your reading comprehension, unless you're a Labor shill too in which case I'm sorry for your loss.

This, although somehow I doubt the gallery actually punishes anyone except by their constant begging for leaks.

But it is funny, particularly when babies like EvilElmo rush in to blame other parties for the ALP's procedural motions not getting up (psst Tirade, that's the subject!), and particularly inexcusable from politicians on the Government side.

Suck it, princess.

No need to be a fuckwit.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why is it apparently very common for rep's to leave and go home early? How many went home early, 6, or more? If Bandt and McGowen had stuck around like it's their job to, we could have got an even more embarrassing fiasco for Turnball and Co. They should have been there, and I haven't seen any response to why they weren't?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Comstar posted:

Why is it apparently very common for rep's to leave and go home early? How many went home early, 6, or more? If Bandt and McGowen had stuck around like it's their job to, we could have got an even more embarrassing fiasco for Turnball and Co. They should have been there, and I haven't seen any response to why they weren't?

Peak hour in Canberra is a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Suck it, princess.

:lol:

Is it the Greens fault for not having members in the chamber during a vote? Yes.
Is it the Liberal/Nationals fault for not having members in the chamber during a vote? Yes.

The ALP isn't responsible for Bandt to do his job.

Comstar posted:

Only common during a 'normal' Parliament where there is a clear majority. Nobody left during the ALP minority Government until the final vote. It's basically because after QT if there are no votes scheduled or you don't have a speaking slot, you may as well go home.

But a 1 vote majority, isn't a regular Parliament. The Government won't go home early again and neither will Bandt or McGowan. They got too comfortable.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread