Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Recoome posted:

Reminder that the State of Queensland elected Pauline Hanson as a senator.

gently caress Queensland

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/02/queensland-farmers-bulldoze-thousands-of-hectares-of-native-vegetation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

"You don't get rid of everyone's livelihood overnight with no warning. Not everyone in the industry is a villain - Shorten on Greyhound ban."

Alice Workman tweeted that.

Nothing incorrect about that statement if its accurate. It's buzzfeed so.. you know... high chance it isn't.

I trust buzzfeed more than I trust news corpse

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Because their lies reflect your world view, like news corp lies reflect the conservative world view.

Show me where they have lied and I might consider thinking about possibly agreeing with one specific post of yours.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Can we get a new thread made? One where you can link every issue to refugees instead of crapping this one up with the same old poo poo?

WAIT SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT ANOTHER POLICY, QUICK!

So whats it like defending people who torture refugees?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EvilElmo posted:

Soooo, why are we talking about Federal issues (asylum seekers) and Federal leaders (Turnbull) when talking about Greyhound banning (a state issue).

Because only idiots and gullible fools believe there is zero interaction between state and federal branches of political parties.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Elmo has a point - we've thrown billions after overseas car companies to keep some jobs here in Australia.

And while we all abhor the sport these people are in legal, self-employed professions. I'm not saying give them handouts or anything but perhaps a deadline for the ban - make it effective from 2017 or something so they can continue making money while looking for other avenues?

The problem there of course is that banning the sport is because of it killing dogs, so allowing it to continue results in more dead dogs... gently caress, I'm not sure what to do.

It is effective from next year. July 1. How much more time would you want to give them?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I think we should incinerate all the greyhound owners and spend money on reskilling the greyhounds as lapdogs

They dont need to be reskilled, greyhounds are exceptionally lazy when not racing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

Nope. This is a Greens echo chamber. Echo! Echo! Echo!

Now someone hurry up and post first dog on the moon

hahahahahahaha

the cognitive dissonance never loving ends in auspol does it

I like your AV

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-02/ipswich-sinkhole-swallows-backyard-west-of-brisbane/7682332

Cmon mother nature, finish what you have started.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ten Becquerels posted:

Colin Barnett again denies there's a chance of a leadership challenge against him. Why do these rumours always crop up when the government loses ground in the polls and then immediately go away? Is there ever any credibility to them, or are news outlets just giving a voice to politicians grumbling about each other?

Colin specifically didnt want the job, but had to be coaxed back because the cupboard of LNP talent is especially bare in WA. The biggest land developer piped up a few months ago and started spreading rumors that Nalder was going to challenge, and then there was a vote where noone put forward their name and it all fizzled out fairly quickly.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Is that a record?

Pretty sure Rupes has that record in the bag.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

I pwnt you all by hijacking August

hahahah keep telling yourself that.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

You're literally incapable of learning or admitting fault.

This bit also made me lol.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In news that will surprise noone, Australia is still torturing people intentionally.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-03/amnesty-hrw-enter-nauru-undercover-to-document-sustained-abuse/7684342

quote:

Australia is explicitly ignoring the inhumane treatment of refugees held on Nauru as a means of deterring others from attempting the journey to Australia, two peak rights groups have found in separate trips to the island nation in a damning new report.

Amnesty International, working in conjunction with Human Rights Watch, travelled to and documented the conditions for asylum seekers and refugees in Australian-funded detention on Nauru over the past few months.

They were forced to send investigators incognito after a number of requests for official visits were rebuffed or ignored.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And in news that will surprise noone

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-04/immigration-department-rejects-amnesty-hrw-nauru-report/7688834

The immigration department says "Nuh uh not us" to allegations of systemic abuse and deliberate torture.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Frogfingers posted:

Is... is he The Australian's very own Gerry from Parks and Rec? Just an eternal fuckup who doesn't have a name worth remembering?

Gerry was awesome gently caress you

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Seagull posted:

are you talking about larry

No, I already said Terry was awesome, gently caress you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/08/my-10-principles-to-reform-the-united-nations-before-its-too-late

KRudd fixes the UN

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Serrath posted:

It's really goddamn rich of him to take a run for the leadership when his final moments in office were spent passing refugee policies widely and aggressively opposed by the UN. Has anyone put to him how he would have reconciled the differences in policy between the UN and himself concerning refugees if he had formally been nominated to run for leadership? Was his goal to double-down and try to make boat turnbacks a worldwide policy or was he planning on repudiating his own platforms as leader of Australia?

Pretty sure his plan was to say whatever was needed to get a grip on power and hold it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

:can:

When people get their money siphoned like this, is it because they use financial managers or something? Maybe it's because I've had my debit card compromised before, or because we live on a pretty tight budget but if any of my money went missing I'd know about it pretty quick.

Pretty much. Depending on the setup, clients tend to hand over a large sum of money and then trust that the finplanner would handle it in a responsible manner. We had a system in place that meant funds could only be transferred out of an account, into an approved account specified by the client, but even then I could probably have ripped people off by forging a form to change that, transfer money and then changing it back.

And if you are doing a lot of trading on a big account, it's easy to miss 20 grand here or there.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

And don't make the mistake of thinking people with a lot of money are good with it. We had one couple who were worth more than 10 million bucks and repeatedly assured us they kept good records on our trading results, but would do things like not factor in 40k worth of dividends

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/08/detention-centre-operators-contract-extended-despite-owners-objection

Australian government extends broadspectrum's contract to run the torture camps, despite the owners of broadspectrum not wanting run them.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Lol can they do that?

Apparently the extension was an option in the contract, so yes. Dodgy as gently caress and not a good look though.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-09/brendon-grylls-elected-nationals-leader-in-wa/7706490?section=wa

Brendon Grylls, cousin of Bear, is now leader of the nats in the west in an action that was definitely not knifing the existing leader in the back, or a spill motion.

In somewhat good news, he favours taxing big miners a hell of a lot more, and not supporting the libs, unless Emperor Colin steps down.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

If it works. I'm not sure I'm convinced a nationalised taxi industry would deliver better or cheaper services though.

Why not? Remove the need for a profit, and prices should come down. Increase the ability of central management of a standard level of service.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Right, it's more that I don't trust them not to gently caress it up in some monumental way.

I dont have faith that private enterprise wont gently caress it up in some monumental way either.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

At least if a private company does it there's a chance they'll go broke.

The way things are at the moment it'd probably be contracted out to a private operator and we'd get the worst of both worlds.

And if the government fucks it up, there is a chance they will be voted out.

Cant really disagree with the second part. I mean, i have no experience with contracts and poo poo, but even I can think of some minimum service level clauses that would gently caress a company over hard if they failed to meet expectations, but that would require the government standing up to business, and that just doesnt happen.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I think my taps at home are stainless steel... Does boiling the water help minimise this? :ohdear:

I doubt it. Boiling water wont remove impurities. You would need a filter, probably an RO setup.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Recoome posted:

I like how they changed their tone after someone says that he's recording (he's from the ABC right?)

He is the police and emergency services reporter.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://newmatilda.com/2016/08/15/pauline-hanson-says-a-new-toilet-could-destroy-australian-way-of-life/

Pauline Hanson on the latest threat to the Australian way of life.

Squat toilets.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/tasmanian-treasurer-announces-budget-surplus/7734058

The Libs post a surplus based on a delay of spending, and trumpet the result as great financial management.

Muppets.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

I wish they'd install some here. The signs on correct toilet use don't seem to be solving the poo poo on the seat problem.

People who poo poo on a toilet seat tend not to be the greatest readers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Idiots leading idiots down an idiotic path.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Isnt this just an extension of capitalism though? The big absorb the small and weak, ensuring efficiencies can be leveraged and gains realised by vfgfqpoaiuerbgv [ *shoots self*

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

I've heard they do that in prison, but I'd have thought even remote aboriginal communities would have access to something that would actually make drinkable alcohol. Like a bag of sugar or a bottle of cordial.

You need sugar anyway. Thats what the yeast turn into alcohol. Cordial is a bit hit and miss because of the preservatives. Some fresh fruits can be used (never try pineapple *shudder*) along with things like ginger, cereal, fertiliser, tomato paste and various grains.

fun fact : some brewers use egg shells because they stabilise the wash at nearly the perfect pH, and you can easily strain them out at the end, when you stain out the yeast goobers.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Endman posted:

I blame Paul Keating.

We love his speeches, but he brought neoliberal economics into the ALP where it has festered ever since.

I blame Paul Keating for a lot of things.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Seagull posted:

until Elmo came to have a cry about how anti torture we are I'd defaulted to only thinking poorly of the libs, but thanks for reminding me labor also suck

When you think about it, its a very apt username.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

Get plex and a private tracker and never deal with bullshit television again you clowns.

Netflix is $10 a month.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Narrator posted:

Lol who does this guy think he is to tell super funds how they should do their business. What are his political reasons for this attack?

He is a complete loving muppet, with the coal industries hand firmly milking his prostate.

Turns out that industry controlled super funds invest more in infrastructure than bank controlled superfunds, but good ol scumfucker wont let facts get in the way of some union bashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

jfc, kill all boomers

Pretty sure old age welfare is either the biggest or second biggest budget item.

• Locked thread