Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BBJoey posted:

I for one stand in solidarity with the downtrodden masses who suffer daily from institutional oppression the tyranny of capitalism western imperialism having their Something Awful forums avatar replaced by an image they dislike

See, the trick is to be a pain in the rear end in other threads, until someone else replaces it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
This is a funny definition of 'no warning' too, given that things started with a very public report and we are now literally at the stage of 'the premier is putting a stop to this but hasn't dropped the hammer yet'.

I'd call that plenty of warning!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd be surprised if he's even running next election. He's sure as gently caress not gonna win if he does.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

thatfatkid posted:

One Nation are pro penalty rates, medicare, public ownership of state assets etc. They won't vote lockstep with the coalition.

Also this. They're a group of liberals that split from the Liberals in SA.

No. I refuse to live in a universe where One loving Nation is potentially a reasonable force of balance.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I consciously never mentioned my love of video games in as many university courses as possible for exaclt this reason.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm not sure why I expected an Australian government site to work on the one day I need to use it, but this sure shows me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Redcordial posted:

I was thinking about that last night, while trying to fall asleep ahead of a 6am start, no less...

I nearly cried myself to sleep last night.

The answer is most likely that people care less about refugees, I think the geographical link/proximity to Indigenous Australians accounts for something.

I agree on the end result of your reasoning, but not the working out to get there.

I think your average Australian has more negative opinions about indigenous Australians, while they tend to be more ambivalent about asylum seekers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cartoon posted:

Also Suicide Squad or Fury Road?

How is this even a loving question?

I'm seriously asking, this can't be a case of base 'which movie is better' because we're talking about Fury Road versus Suicide Squad. We have to be talking about some other factor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ten Becquerels posted:

Turns out Labor cares a little bit about the Nauru files, and they're pushing for a senate inquiry alongside the Greens. Presumably they've figured out that some people do care that we're breaking all kinds of international law and want to be seen to be on the right side of history. They need 4 more senators on board though, I have only a vague idea of what the peanut gallery's views on offshore processing are but I guess Nick Xenophon's mob would go along with it, but that still leaves one more person to push for it.

Although given that even a royal commission's findings aren't binding, I very much doubt anything would be done about a senate committee's findings, if they even manage to get it off the ground.

Can we count on the JUSTICE PARTY for this one? I feel like if they really want to spread their wings this is a good one for them to get on board with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tasmantor posted:

I just can't get my head around the church thing. It's just so stupid, "HAHA dickheads, we dressed up as caricature Mu_slums (or how ever the write it) and hosed up your Sunday! Bet you'll think twice about supporting them now we did that to you?". If it was to demonstrate that they are clueless and incapable of understanding the world they live in then, yeah, good job but other wise ....... I don't know, what?

I mean I think I get what they are getting at. They are trying to show that if we let "too many" Muslims "in" then they will desecrate the sacred christian fabric of our society? Is that it? Even if that was what they are getting at then it still doesn't make sense though. Ignoring that we are a secular country so the largest religion doesn't matter a gently caress, THEY desecrated a service, if anything they highlighted that Muslims have never done anything to limit the religious freedom of Arsetralia.

It doesn't make a difference to me one way or the other but I just get a bit hung up on stupidity of this magnitude when I encounter it. It's like a late night English comedy sketch, you know the ones where you get what they are getting at but it's only funny when you're dead dog tired.

It feels like an attempt at a Chaser stunt by people who horribly, grossly misunderstand the Chaser.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I can't even fathom how a war with China would impact things now, in a world of multinational companies and massive amounts of private and civilian international interactions.

I mean, beyond 'it'd be bad'. The specifics are just not something I can wrap my head around.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Hunt would be a coal miners wet dream.

I'd participate in a Prime Minister Hunt.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
We need to step up on the space program front, so we can finally and totally gently caress this gay earth and everybody in it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tokamak posted:

lol if you think we are ever going to space. We can't create closed systems in space and humans aren't equipped to handle it. Earth's getting hosed with no hope of escape.

Not with THAT attitude we're not.

Damnit don't bring down my 'space is rad and we should go there' states :smith:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Seriously, this is like a real-world recreation of a political cartoon, it's hilariously perfect. The fact people can't even see that is pathetic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
At Home with Julia was at its best when it was bouncing caricatures of politicians off each other and/or mundane events. The first episode was the peak because it was just that: really good parodies of Katter, Oakeshott and Windsor, at a dinner.

I'd say it was a shame that the show didn't really do anything with any Liberal MPs, but for unfathomable reasons to me nobody in Australian television has even managed to cobble together a decent Tony Abbott character. Abbott basically does most of the work for you, and still nobody was able to do a half-decent character beyond half-assing his voice and maybe a combover.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vladimir Poutine posted:

lol the banner headline on the Weekend Australian has some top-tier spin. Public-Sector Growth Fuels Debt Crisis: Jobs Surge at Expense of Taxpayers

This makes so many weird turns that it reaches the point where I think you can legitimately read it as pro-dole bludger. Not even pro-unemployed, SPECIFICALLY pro-dole bludger.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SynthOrange posted:

Research ‘must pass pub test’
Treasurer Scott Morrison has cautioned the Australian Research Council to consider the popularity of new research projects, amid pressure to impose a “pub test” on the agency’s decisions.
AT.THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU

looooooool

By 2020, almost all forms of scientific, technological and cultural research in Australia has come to a complete halt.

On the upside our brewing capabilities are second to none, we lead the world in the field of footy tipping, and we're exporting new, top-quality Australian swear words at a rate we can all be proud of.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It goes so well with his profile pic, too.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Konomex posted:

Just imagine a company that used its resources to actually help people into work as opposed to trying to maximise profits from struggling people. Just want to see how feasible it might be.

The answer is 'not', by the way. The way JSAs make money is by either having someone get a job quickly, or by constantly 'supporting' someone classed as long-term unemployed without spending the money you'd need to actually help them. Giving everyone the support they need is just straight-up not feasible in the JSA system, it would cost more than you'd get in return.

Intentional malice, or just bad accounting? Who knows with this stuff?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

hooman posted:

EDIT: That said though it is Scott "Torture Camps" Morrison so maybe I should be attributing to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

Yeah, I get the feeling that with Morrison it's deliberate and hateful. On the other hand, Hockey was just an idiot being advised by terrible people.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SynthOrange posted:

So let me get this right:

We hold a plebiscite on same sex marriage:
-It wont be for a year.
-It will cost half a billion dollars to run.
-Imagine the fake outrage over Safe Schools x 100 and stretched out over a whole goddamn year.
-The results are not binding so members of parliment can ignore it if they dont like that polls suggest 55%+ will vote for it.
-SSM doesnt happen for the forseeable future.

We dont hold it:
-LNP+Nats+One Nation still have the numbers to block poo poo up
-poo poo is stuffed til the next election.
-Even then it might not happen depending on how hung Parliment is in 2019?
-SSM doesnt happen for the forseeable future.

or

We dont hold it:
-Somehow Leadership happens
-Bill passes?
-:toot:???

I read that, presuming conscience votes, this is the first parliament where SSM has majority support (not by as much as the public supports it, but enough to pass with some wiggle room). Now, whether anybody in there can and/or will put it to a conscience vote is another question, but the point is if one were held not even Bernardi, Christensen and Hansen would be able to halt it.

We're better off not getting the plebiscite for other and obvious reasons, but that trigger is what I'm gonna mourn. Nobody who can easily pull that is willing to, at least the plebiscite would've scared up some action.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ewe2 posted:

And yet we can't change a few words in the Marriage Act, and private members bills fail. Funny about that, what's the word I'm looking for? It's not irony...

Gotta loving love that we live in a country where there's more political push to repeal an amendment that a total of one person has ever been found guilty of than passing something that has widespread support that affects an unmeasurable yet considerable proportion of the population.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SynthOrange posted:

So conflicted. Yay gay marriage, boo Labor being fuckheads?

Better than the conflict we had last night.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

DNQ posted:

Lambie laying down sick burns to Bernadi eh.. Hate to admit it but I dislike Lambie less and less as time goes on. But that's probably less a reflection of her and more because she seems relatively harmless compared to One Nation.

She's that ineffectual but constant gag-antagonist in that teams up with the good guys whenever a greater foe appears.

She probably wouldn't like or understand me comparing her to Team Rocket or early-00s Dr. Eggman, but I'm rolling with it and mean it in a totally positive way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Auspol September: a literal dead cat bounce

• Locked thread