Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
This thread smells like poopybutts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If only there was some sort of national media watchdog that could ban stories based on "our sources"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's Bill Leak time!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Meh.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Re: asbestos suddenly found in hospitals ect when it shouldn't. :allears:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He added shoes.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

And you know who controls the banks

The UN

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

What's old is new again

The Courier-Mail has a Galaxy poll of state voting intention which has the two major parties level at 50-50 on two-party preferred, after the Liberal National Party led 52-48 in the previous poll in mid-May. However, the big news from the poll is One Nation recording a primary vote of 16%, gouging both Labor, down three to 33%, and the Liberal National Party, down six to 38%. Nonetheless, Annastacia Palaszczuk records strong personal ratings of 46% approval (up two) and 31% disapproval (down eight). Opposition Leader Tim Nicholls is up six from a soft debut showing on approval to 31%; the report doesn’t provide the disapproval rating. Palaszszuk’s lead as preferred premier is up from 44-29 to 44-26. Hopefully I’ll be able to fill in the blanks later on.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland Premier Pauline Hanson.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

J. Jonah Boltson

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ricky Muir is melting down on Facebook about not being elected.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A Brisbane family is fighting to save a pet dog after a seize and destroy notice was issued as the latest blow in a two-year battle with the Brisbane City Council.

Fiona Banwell and her family, including three children, two dogs, a cat and some chickens, moved into their home at Hefferan Street in Fairfield in late 2013.

Within weeks, Ms Banwell said she was approached by one of her neighbours with a complaint of excessive barking from the family's three-year-old golden retriever, Sandy.

The mother-of-three said she hadn't heard the barking and apologised, however a notice to remedy was issued by the council following further complaints of excessive barking.

A council spokesperson said it had received "continuous complaints".

"Since April 2014, council has received continuous complaints from several different neighbours about a barking dog at 40 Hefferan Street, Fairfield," it said.

"Neighbours report this barking is impacting their ability to sleep, work and live in peace."

The former midwife filled out the notice and kept a logbook of when her dogs barked, purchased a recording device to determine level of nuisance, consulted with a dog trainer and built a strong wooden fence to stop Sandy from being able to see anyone walking past the fence.

She said didn't hear back from the council and, given she had not noticed any excessive barking from Sandy, assumed the situation had been resolved - until she was issued with a notice to remove Sandy in November 2014.

Within days of receiving the notice, the Banwells' home was destroyed in a storm, preventing the council from taking Sandy away.

The family worked to rebuild their home and in April 2015, moved back in.

Complaints of excessive barking continued until early 2016, when Ms Banwell said she was informed the investigation into Sandy's alleged excessive barking had ended.

"I thought, 'OK, finally this is the end'," she said.

"And then on the Sunday before last (a council worker) rang and said we have advice and (the warrant to seize and destroy) is still valid.

"He said, 'We will be applying to get a warrant to get the dog'. I said, 'Could I be advised when you go to court to get that warrant?' "

However Ms Banwell said she was not notified, and on Thursday at 3pm she received a call from the council letting her know it had obtained a warrant and would be at the house within the hour.

"I got on phone (to council) and said, 'You said you would tell me when you would go to court to get the warrant and he said, 'I was directed not to advise you'," she said.

"I said this is not fair, I was almost having a breakdown.

"I flew in, grabbed the dogs, stuffed them in the car and drove off and had to pull over to compose myself."

A council spokesperson said it had made attempts to work with Ms Banwell to stop the animal from barking excessively, however to no result, but said there was no intention to euthanase the dog.

"Despite attempts to work with the owner, the dog has continued to bark excessively, causing a breach of the Animal Local Law 2003," they said.

"As the owner has not been able to reduce or stop the barking, a notice has been issued to the owner requiring them to rehome the dog at another property.

"Dogs are only euthanised in extreme cases when they present a safety risk to the community and barking is not considered such a risk, therefore there is no intention to euthanise this dog.

"Council has substantial evidence of the dog breaching the local law through excessive barking and impacting the lives of surrounding neighbours.

"This includes multiple records of the dog barking including one instance of constant barking in excess of 11 minutes."

Ms Banwell said the two-year battle was having a serious impact on her family and she started an online petition, which has more than 45,000 signatures, as a last resort.

"It's one of the most horrific things I have had to experience," she said.

"My son asked the other night, he said, 'This says destruction, that doesn't man they want to kill her?' I said 'That is what it means, but I have her safe.' "

Both family dogs are boarding in a kennel until the matter can be resolved.

"This can't be long-term, because I can't afford that.

"On December 21, 2015, they sent a letter to say there was no breach with any of the recordings they had but if we get a complaint we are going to investigate regardless.

"Basically there is never going to be an end point."

A council spokesperson said there was "extensive" evidence that justified the council proceeding with a relocation notice.

"Following a complaint from the dog owner, council conducted a full review of the case and the decision to proceed was made by several senior council staff, based on the extensive evidence about the dog's barking behaviour," they said.

"Council will defend the rights of those neighbours who have been directly impacted for more than two years by the loud ongoing barking of this dog."

lovely neighbours.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

People on Facebook are saying a DDOS attack is happening on the abs site atm.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, people on *chans are saying it's a successful DDOS from Anon.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Knorth posted:

Ugh, I hope it's not actually a ddos thing. That'll just them something external to heap the blame on

We r Legion!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

fliptophead posted:

Guarantee it's not ddos. They can't get their poo poo sorted. "Wtf? We're not wasting money on VMs that don't even exist!"

Doesnt matter, Some section of Anon is claiming it so the media will report it, I guess.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

Bingo. Server's dead. They can't fix it. Go home Australia, the census is drunk.

https://twitter.com/ABSCensus/status/762996836357419008

We r legion

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Uber is a proven fact that if you put enough money behind something, rules be damned.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hi friendlyjordies when is your next video coming out?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dont want to see a movie that trivializes cronulla into a hot tub time machine comedy :shrug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I stumbled upon David Oldfield's twitter and it is literally insane rambling about making muslims glow green from nukes.

Was curious what happened to the chucklefuck after watching the SBS doco and his wiki article says he still has a night time radio show?

Anyway I found his abandoned blog from 2013, enjoy.

https://davideoldfield.wordpress.com/

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

China strong. May traitor island sink into the sea.

Horton must apologise!

The seas belong to China!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Don't dox me fairfax:

Police were left mystified after a pork roast fell from the pants of a "heavily intoxicated" man during a callout on the weekend.

Dutton Park police were called to a local bus stop to find a man who police said seemed "not too pleased" to see them on the weekend, Senior Sergeant Greg Bishop wrote on a police blog on Tuesday.

They tried to help the "rather large" man to his feet and as they did so, a 2.5 kilogram uncooked pork roast fell from the man's pants.

Seemingly as confused as the police officers, the man asked 'where is that from?' before leaving the bus stop.

The mystery of the pork roast remains unsolved.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Hunt would be a coal miners wet dream.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sky News is playing on campus and the caster responded to footage of those protesters getting into Turnbull speech with;

If a bunch of greenie protesters can get into an event with fake media passes and protest signs. What's stopping a Islamic state member getting in with a fake media pass and a bomb?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

BBJoey posted:

congratulations to bill leak, the newscorp cartoonist, who won the coveted cartoonist of the year award, presented by newscorp :yum:

"I'd like to thank the traditional owners of this land, white people."
*applause*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We elected you to hate the poor Mr. Turnbull

By God, you're right!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Looks like Coles and the SDA are about to get hosed up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

dont post a source or anything

loving Fine.

It's like a 7-11 situation it seems where the company and Union knew that workers were being underpaid but did nothing about it:

Supermarket giant Coles knew that more than half its workers were underpaid as part of a controversial workplace deal - saving it an estimated $70 million a year.

A report commissioned for Coles shows the company was aware of the extent of the underpayment as it was fighting a major case in the Fair Work Commission in which it was accused of short-changing workers.

The Ernst & Young report from January, marked "confidential", includes detailed data on pay rates across two stores selected by Coles. It showed 56 per cent of workers were underpaid, often by large sums.

The data suggests that about 43,000 of Coles' 77,000 supermarket workers were being paid below the legal award minimum, the basic wages safety net.

The data emerged from a case brought by Duncan Hart, a Coles trolley operator who had appealed to the Fair Work Commission against the tribunal's approval of the Coles workplace deal.

In a landmark decision in May, the Fair Work full bench found the Coles deal with the Shop, Distributive & Allied Employees Association (SDA) had failed the important legal test that requires that workers are better off overall under any new agreement.

It found that some Coles workers faced "significant" underpayment - a fact first revealed by Fairfax Media in 2015.

The Coles deal provided lower (or no) penalty rates for night and weekend shifts. Many of the underpaid workers earn as little as $10,000 to $15,000 a year, including working on checkouts, night fill or as cleaners.

Coles is Australia's third largest employer and the extent of what Coles knew about the underpayment, and when, is an ongoing legal issue with a new case underway in the tribunal.

The company and union signed statutory declarations in mid-2015 to the effect that all workers were better off from the deal.

Brisbane night fill worker Penny Vickers, an SDA delegate, said workers did not know they would be underpaid when they voted to approve the deal.

"This is dreadful, what happened," she said. "It's not appropriate to pay less than the award and hide that from employees."

"Why wasn't it brought to our attention? Why were we were asked to vote for an agreement that pays less than the award," she asked. "I'd have never voted for an agreement that would pay me less than the award."

A Coles spokesman defended the deal.

"It is our firm belief that all monetary and non-monetary benefits should be taken into account as well as wages when assessing the overall value of the benefits Coles provides its team members," he said.

The Fair Work decision gave limited weight to the non-monetary benefits of the Coles deal as it found part-time and casual workers, who make up 80 per cent of the Coles workforce, were hardest hit.

Tim Lyons, Per Capita research fellow and a former ACTU assistant secretary, said Coles would have known all along the effect of its workplace deal on its bottom line and on wages.

"This is an incredibly sophisticated company, they make these claims with the aim of reducing wages costs. Any sense they would have been shocked by the decision - that is just bullshit."

Mr Lyons said the SDA needed to take some responsibility for agreeing to Coles' demands. But he said the bulk of the blame lay with Coles and the Fair Work tribunal which originally approved the agreement.

"They would know the effect these [terms] would have on their bottom-line wage costs," Mr Lyons said of Coles. "In the end, the main responsibility lies with the boss."

As part of the recent Fair Work case, lawyers for Coles commissioned Ernst & Young partner Bruno Cecchini to analyse and report on store rosters from Benalla and Northcote.

The raw data from the January report, analysed by Fairfax Media, shows that the average underpayment was $1497 a year. Taken across all its stores, that works out to between $64 million to $70 million a year.

Industrial researcher Josh Cullinan, who helped bring the original case against Coles, estimates the underpayment to be worth between $70 million to $100 million a year.

The overall results are likely to be conservative as the two stores featured in the case study have relatively limited trading hours.

Since the full bench decision in late May, Coles has refused to negotiate a new agreement with the union. Workers have instead been reverted to a 2011 agreement with Coles undertaking to keep the higher base pay rates from the 2015 deal.

Ms Vickers has now taken action at the Fair Work Commission to terminate that 2011 agreement.

A successful challenge would result in Coles workers being moved onto the award which pays lower hourly base rates of pay but much higher penalties and night payments.

The confidential Coles figures are embarrassing for the SDA which has consistently argued that the "vast majority" of its members were better off under the deal.

It also raises questions about a string of similar agreements across the retail and fast food sectors.

The full bench ruling has rocked the conservative union, which is renowned for its social agenda, including opposition to same-sex marriage. It recently said it would no longer have a position on the issue.

That allowed the ACTU this week to finally come out in support of marriage equality.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Turnbull government will push back the date of the proposed same-sex marriage plebiscite until February 2017, breaking a flagship pledge.

The Prime Minister had said he wanted the vote to be held this year.

However a spokesperson for Mr Turnbull told Fairfax Media that Special Minister of State, Scott Ryan, received advice last week from the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) advising the government to push the vote back.

"The government has always said that a decision on same-sex marriage will be made by a vote of all Australians in a national plebiscite to be held as soon as practicable," the spokesperson said.

"That commitment has not changed. Late last week, the AEC provided advice to the Special Minister of State that strongly recommended against the conduct of a plebiscite this calendar year."

News Corp reported on Sunday that a timeline for the vote would now be announced in September and that the question expected to be asked is: "Do you approve of a law to permit people of the same sex to marry?"

The report said the government rejected other options for questions – including those relating to gender – following focus groups.

However the government on Saturday night denied that a date or a question had been finalised.

"The mechanics of the plebiscite, including the specific question and also the timing, are subject to the usual cabinet processes," Mr Turnbull's spokesperson told Fairfax Media.

"No decisions have as yet been made."

The $160 million plebiscite remains controversial inside and outside the Coalition, with reports in June suggesting some government MPs would ignore the will of the people if same-sex marriage was approved via the compulsory vote.

Opponents of the vote say it will fuel bigotry and homophobia.

Despite a split among gay marriage supporters about the need for the vote – opponents argue the matter should be decided by Parliament – a structured "yes" campaign is already forming ahead of the formal announcement of the vote date.

The ALP still hopes Parliament will decide the matter, with Opposition Leader Bill Shorten intent on pushing through a private members' bill to legalise gay marriage with a vote of MPs.

Mr Shorten has called the vote "Malcolm Turnbull's Brexit", seizing on similarities between Mr Turnbull and the former British prime minister David Cameron, who reluctantly called for the Brexit vote to appease his party, only to have the move backfire.

Mr Turnbull has been quoted as saying he expected the same-sex vote to "sail through".

For the plebiscite to go ahead, both the Senate and the House of Representatives must approve it. MPs must then return to Parliament to rubber stamp the outcome, the point at which it is feared Coalition opponents may block a "yes" vote.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

HuffPost Australia has an article on "rentvesting" which claims "more and more" young Australians are "renting, taking out a loan, buying a cheap house with it, using the rent they get from the cheap place to pay for their own rent & the loan" and the real estate market is calling this trend "smart"

Also today I learned there is a HuffPost Australia. Why??

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sanguine posted:

I'm confused, is china happy or not?

China is eternally strong, traitor.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The story of Anthony Albanese being raised by his single mother, Maryanne, in public housing in Sydney's inner west is one he has told often in his political career.

"What I was told was that (my mother) travelled overseas, met my father, married him overseas, returned to Australia and that he died in a car accident," Mr Albanese told 7.30.

"That was what I was told, and from an early age, that was what I believed."

But when he was about 14 or 15 years old, his mother revealed that there was actually much more to the story.

"We sat down just after dinner one night and she — it was very traumatic for her, I think, to tell me that in fact that wasn't the case, that my father might still be alive, that she'd met him overseas, fallen pregnant with me, had told him and he had said, basically, that he was betrothed to someone from the town in Italy where he was from.

"I think that whole guilt associated with having a child out of wedlock in 1963 as a young Catholic woman was a big deal and, hence, the extent to which she had gone to in terms of adopting my father's name, she wore an engagement and a wedding ring, she — the whole family just believed this story."

Feeling a sense of obligation to his mother, Mr Albanese didn't follow up on details of his father until after his mother died in 2002.

"There was a particular time where we were visiting my mother's grave when [Albanese's son] Nathan was a little boy and he said, 'where's your Daddy?'"

"And at that moment, it hit me that ... I had a responsibility to him as well — he carried the name Albanese — and to find out more about my father.

"So it was very much a gradual need that became ... more and more a sense of urgency as it was clear to me as well that he would've been getting older and that I needed, I needed to know more about what had happened."

But how to go about finding a man separated by almost 50 years and half a world?

Albanese had one crucial piece of information.

"We had a photo from the ship (the Fairsky) where he worked as a steward, which is where he met my mother on the journey across from Sydney across to London," Mr Albanese said.

"I realised that the ship cruise line was essentially taken over by Sitmar, which had been taken over by P&O, which had been taken over by Carnival and I knew Ann Sherry, the head of Carnival Cruises, and asked her if there was any assistance that she could give."

Ms Sherry couldn't promise anything but said she would ask around.

"She talked to a maritime historian, this wonderful man, Rob Henderson, who is just fascinated by maritime history," Mr Albanese said.

Mr Henderson just happened to be going to a conference in Bari, in southern Italy, and said he would make inquiries.

"It really was a needle in a hay stack, [finding] the company that had since dissolved but was based in Genoa," Mr Albanese said.

"There was a box in an old warehouse — most of it had been destroyed — but the box actually had the workplace details and the address of my father ... and he was living at the same address many years later."

Mr Henderson told Ms Sherry of the find, who rang Mr Albanese.

"It's a moment I'll never forget," he said.

"I was in the Commonwealth Parliamentary Offices, I was about to chair a dinner of the Australian Transport Council.

"I got this phone call just as we were about to leave and she — it was very short conversation — she said 'we've found him', and it took my breath away because I didn't think that would happen."

Now, Mr Albanese faced the dilemma of how to approach the man he believed to be his father.

"I knew that I had to, even if it meant knocking on the door, I knew I had to pursue it then," he said.

"It was very much a physical need in my gut that I needed for that to happen."

Once again, Mr Albanese was able to pull some strings through contacts, this time at the Australian Embassy in Rome.

"As well as knowing Amanda Vanstone ... my second cousin happened to work at the embassy [and] was in charge of the international visits at the embassy," Mr Albanese said.

"So we wrote, essentially, a letter to the family saying that I would be visiting and that I was the son of Mary Ellery, the late Mary Ellery, her maiden name, and that I would like to meet Carlo."

Not knowing Carlo Albanese's circumstances or how he would be received, he didn't mention anything about being Carlo's son.

"A friend of what I now know as my brother was a lawyer and she made contact and said that she would be happy to meet with us," Mr Albanese said.

"I arrived in Bari and then travelled up to Barletta, that's very close, on the Saturday and we met."

"Then I told her the story. She immediately responded very positively. I made it clear that I didn't want anything except to meet Carlo, who I thought was my father, that I wasn't there to ask for money or inheritance or anything else, I just wanted to meet him."

The lawyer arranged for a meeting the very next day.

Mr Albanese went to her office and waited until there was a call confirming that Carlo would be there in an hour.

"I went and had a good scotch at a local bar ... it was almost overwhelming and then I went on a walk by myself.

Then Carlo Albanese arrived.

"It was extraordinary.

"The bell rung ... and the door opened, he walked in and opened his arms to me and we embraced.

"It was quite — it was incredibly generous of him, I think, and it was a very poignant moment.

"He immediately said that, yes, he knew my mother and understood the circumstances.

"So, given that he ... he married the woman, as his wife, as he had told my mother he would, and had been with her ever since, it was remarkable, I think, the generosity with which he responded."

Carlo also brought along his son and daughter.

"All of a sudden, with the exception of my son Nathan, the three closest blood relatives to me, in the world, who I'd never met before were standing in this room and we sat down and conversed for about an hour and a half.

"It's hard to put into words ... how I felt. It was just completely overwhelming.

"I felt a connection to them and I felt like a gap had been filled, the fact that there was no doubt either or no questioning was a great sense of relief."

Mr Albanese showed the photo his mother had kept of Carlo attending Maryanne and her companions aboard the ship decades earlier.

"The photo that we had used to identify him, he had a copy of that photo all those years later as well."

Over the following years, Mr Albanese and his Australian family made regular visits to Italy discovering the family they never knew existed.

But Carlo was ill.

During one of the most tumultuous periods in Australian political history — the lead up to the 2013 election — the now Deputy Prime Minister was campaigning hard but he had one eye on Italy.

"He had cancer and was very sick during the 2013 election campaign," Mr Albanese said.

"Kevin Rudd knew that at any time I might depart for — to farewell him, which I needed to do. I needed to have closure.

"He died in January of 2014 and I was very pleased that I was able to have that final engagement with him. He was lucid and he told me — the last conversation we had was that he was glad that we had found each other."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-23/anthony-albanese-search-finds-father-he-thought-was-dead/7776918

:smith:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hey its a cool story you soulless first dog munching ghouls

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

gently caress the ALP with a spike

But Albos Parent Quest story is a decent read.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's almost as if now that the mining boom is over Australia has nothing left to do except build empty apartment blocks that nobody can afford to move into.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Lol today's newspaper headlines. 'Allahu akhbar attack'

An Atari 5200 classic.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Apparent a WA leadership spill is about to happen to Colin. Live on Sky right now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ben Garrison is a crazy person who over time becomes the 4chan parody version of himself that he hates so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lmao if the Coal-ition removed tax-free they would lose the next election and all elections for the next 10,000 years.

• Locked thread