Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Colin Barnett again denies there's a chance of a leadership challenge against him. Why do these rumours always crop up when the government loses ground in the polls and then immediately go away? Is there ever any credibility to them, or are news outlets just giving a voice to politicians grumbling about each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Frogmanv2 posted:

Colin specifically didnt want the job, but had to be coaxed back because the cupboard of LNP talent is especially bare in WA. The biggest land developer piped up a few months ago and started spreading rumors that Nalder was going to challenge, and then there was a vote where noone put forward their name and it all fizzled out fairly quickly.

I guess they need something to be happening in WA politics, everyone involved is so insanely boring that the only time anyone seems to care what they're doing is when something else gets hosed up with the children's hospital or that stupid stadium they're building in Burswood.

Apparently Australians are weirdly obsessed with meat and also mean to vegetarians/vegans. This guy went vegetarian for a year and wrote a book about it, guess his mates made of him. Most people I've seen when met with a vegetarian don't really care that much, sure there are rude motherfuckers out there but it seems weird to write a book about how everyone hates vegetarians when vegetarian/vegan restaurants are taking off and you can get vegan cheese and meat substitutes in supermarkets. I suspect the man who was 'driving home with a shoulder of lamb for his family one day' and was 'overcome with the smell of the meat and decided to pull over and eat it on the side of the road' just has some really meat-obsessed friends.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Scott Morrison for PM :getin:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Malcolm Roberts looks about as deranged as you might expect of a One Nation senator.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Brendon Grylls sure looks like a low-rent Ted Cruz in the thumbnail.

What kind of madman doesn't put chicken salt on their chips?

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure I saw news articles with the ABS explicitly stating that the site would be able to handle the load. I'm hoping it's down because people saw that and decided to DDoS the site because that's pretty loving funny, as opposed to the more likely scenario of someone at the ABS asking if the site could handle that much traffic and getting 'nah she'll be right' in response. 'Let's talk about implementing e-voting' is probably going to be quietly never mentioned again until everyone else has it and we all look like idiots.

Is there any idea of how long the online census will be available for? I've never had to do these stupid things myself, now I'm wondering why I didn't just get a physical form. I could have come home and been done with it, instead of checking the ABS page and wondering if it's even worth bothering tonight. Pen and paper wins again.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

The ABS page loads now but it only loads enough to tell me to gently caress off and come back later, which is somehow even more annoying.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Indigenous men aged 25-29 have the highest rate of suicide in the world, which I imagine is going to be talked about for a day and then totally forgotten, like every other time the suicide rates amongst Indigenous people gets mentioned. If an 11 (? can't remember exact age) year-old child killing themselves couldn't prompt anything besides hand-wringing I don't have much hope for this, although it is concrete data showing a huge deficit between Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth, and between urban and rural youth of all kinds.

Even if people were going to pay attention it's going to get lost in the census shitstorm, like everything that's happened this week besides us winning medals in the Olympics.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Turns out Labor cares a little bit about the Nauru files, and they're pushing for a senate inquiry alongside the Greens. Presumably they've figured out that some people do care that we're breaking all kinds of international law and want to be seen to be on the right side of history. They need 4 more senators on board though, I have only a vague idea of what the peanut gallery's views on offshore processing are but I guess Nick Xenophon's mob would go along with it, but that still leaves one more person to push for it.

Although given that even a royal commission's findings aren't binding, I very much doubt anything would be done about a senate committee's findings, if they even manage to get it off the ground.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Can we count on the JUSTICE PARTY for this one? I feel like if they really want to spread their wings this is a good one for them to get on board with.

I wasn't aware of what sort of policies they had, although now I look they do sound like the types to support an inquiry. Equality and all that, assuming they care about refugees as much as they do about animals.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Child sexual abuse happens outside of the church, therefore the church sheltering a number of paedophiles isn't worth investigating. Segues nicely into the fact that Indigenous people have an inherently primitive culture that must be the sole cause of the cycle of institutionalisation and social dysfunction that many Indigenous people and their children find themselves trapped in, if they just realised this and started acting more like us respectable whiteys then there'd be no problem! I found one person talking about issues within her own culture so she must agree that it's all their own fault :bahgawd:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

Prior to David Leyonhjelm being in the news with this 18C crap, I didn't know what he looked like and I was content not to know. I blame this thread for causing me to be subjected to his visage. He looks like an alien wearing a human suit inspired by humpty dumpty.

I didn't know it was possible to have so many wrinkles on one's forehead, although his forehead does extend all the way up to the top of his head.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

If Manus Island gets closed down I'm assuming all the prisoners will either be dumped on PNG or shuttled off to Christmas Island where there are no pesky foreign governments to decide indefinite detention in torturous conditions is illegal.

Honestly the weirdest part of this is that I'm pretty sure New Zealand is still willing to take people, but we apparently want the refugees to suffer so much that having them taken off our hands is unacceptable compared to continuing to spend billions on making their lives miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

I took my dog to the park this morning and had an elderly man come up to me to warn me that there are 'muzzo families' in the area that would very much like to steal and eat my dog. I guess there's not enough Asians in Stirling for old people to accuse of dog-eating :australia:

• Locked thread