Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm disappointed in you cartoon, you didn't even pick out where he implied that all school kids should be medicated

When the opening sentence is making fun of children with a learning disorder you better believe the OP will be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Lid posted:

You absolutely can.

God who on Labor thought this is the issue to take a stand on? It can't have even been focus grouped because the thing has 80% support.

Yeah, I don't really understand that argument. If a "livelihood" exclusively has negative repercussions does it actually deserve to exist?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Ten Becquerels posted:

Malcolm Roberts looks about as deranged as you might expect of a One Nation senator.

wanna gaslight this dude Amelie-style till he has a nervous breakdown

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Really, I could have swo-

oooh, you're good.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

First Dog keeps showing up in my Google Now feed. What did I do to deserve this?

Kommando posted:

holy poo poo my voice recognition capitalises First Dog on the Moon

These are end times

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2100806-lead-in-australias-drinking-water-is-leaching-from-brass-taps/

quote:

Lead in Australia’s drinking water is leaching from brass taps
The proof is in the plumbing. Low-level lead contamination of water is widespread in Australian homes, with brass tap fittings the most likely source.

quote:

In their study, Harvey and his colleagues detected lead in 56 per cent of samples – and 8 per cent of those exceeded the limit of 10 micrograms per litre set in the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines.

In a subsequent experiment, the researchers tested water before and after it passed through brass taps, which contain small amounts of lead, and lead-free stainless steel taps. Lead was only found in water that had passed through brass ones.

“Water sits inside the brass barrel of your tap, where it can be exposed to lead for a long time, especially if it sits there overnight,” Harvey says.

quote:

Lead is a neurotoxin that is particularly harmful to children. Studies have linked low-level lead exposure to reductions in IQ and attention span, as well as a greater tendency for antisocial behaviour.

Australia’s 10-microgram lead limit for drinking water was set in the mid-1990s, but the World Health Organization has since deemed that no level of exposure is safe.

The researchers are yet to test whether higher lead levels in home water supplies correlate with higher amounts in the blood and adverse health effects, but Harvey believes there is potential for harm.

“Having seen what I’ve seen in terms of the concentrations in the water and the widespread nature of it, it is raising the alarm,” he says.

A handful of samples contained almost 90 micrograms of lead per litre – comparable to the levels recorded during the recent water crisis in Flint, Michigan, after distribution pipes began to corrode.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
The thing I can't work out is if the sunrise hosts are pretending to be stupid or just are

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
lol the banner headline on the Weekend Australian has some top-tier spin. Public-Sector Growth Fuels Debt Crisis: Jobs Surge at Expense of Taxpayers

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
The only time Bolt seems like he truly believes what he's saying is when he writes about 18C, in which case he seethes with genuine rage

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

the Bernardi week

It's the Downer months all over again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAEll95Sgw

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Huh. I remember someone on an episode of Q&A years ago asking him about killing his neighbour's cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
It's a pretty weird financial decision because the property market will obviously be in a completely different position by the time that kid is an adult. Then again, if I was bourgie/privileged enough to own a flat with no effort expended on my part whatsoever when I finished school I guess I wouldn't complain. A trust fund would make more sense though.

Also, are we going to move on from this god forsaken August thread?

• Locked thread