Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can't find a news article yet but Buzzfeed are claiming on Twitter that Shorten is speaking out against the NSW Greyhound ban

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

EvilElmo posted:

"You don't get rid of everyone's livelihood overnight with no warning. Not everyone in the industry is a villain - Shorten on Greyhound ban."

You absolutely can.

God who on Labor thought this is the issue to take a stand on? It can't have even been focus grouped because the thing has 80% support.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Coalition MPs have warned the Opposition Leader's push for a treaty with Indigenous people would be a "bridge too far" for many Australians and could "confuse and harm" the campaign for Indigenous constitutional recognition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7cbkxn4G8U

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Labor must've got it in their head their avenue to government is western S
ydney battlers, hence gently caress the refugees, and rural NSW, hence gently caress the dogs. I'm guessing they think Turnull's soft liberalism has made them fertile ground to flip.

They are amazingly wrong.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

EvilElmo posted:

You all seem to not actually have read what Alice Workman tweeted. You've just made up what Shorten said and made it bigger than it actually was.

No its pretty accurate to Luke Foley

I.e.

Luke Foley says ban on greyhound industry is nothing more than a ‘mass slaughter’

STATE opposition leader Luke Foley fired up hundreds of greyhound trainers and owners today, telling them the Baird Government would employ a crematorium to incinerate dogs after he banned their sport next year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

tithin posted:

I defended Llama a few times.

Auspol can be cliquey. :shrug:

This isn't a surprise to anyone that pays attention though.

I was sincere in the last thread when i suggested he get help. The clique exists and back in the day i got a lot of PMs over how i could be upsetting you with speaking without thinking. But while that exists it doesnt mean the response is to rage and slur, strengthening your anger when some part is to work on yourself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

GoldStandardConure posted:

mods please rename me Soothing Girlfriend Noises Richard DiNatale

Rubbing DiNatale's Turtle Neck

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Sources have confirmed the Federal Cabinet voted 11 to 10 in favour of nominating Rudd but it was Prime Minister who made the final decision not to support him.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/08/02/19/46/malcolm-turnbull-behind-the-veto-for-kevin-rudds-un-bid#TeZpQlTPLil4ly9j.99

Forget about Rudd, this is like a whole new level of leaking.

Kevin Rudd is going to bring down two PMs.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ScreamingLlama posted:

It doesn't matter how many times you tell me to shut up, I'm going to keep shitposting because you're not mods and there's gently caress all you can do to shut me up.

I pwnt you all by hijacking August and you're trying to hide your butthurt by continuing to antagonize me even though antagonism is what started this thread in the first place. You're literally incapable of learning or admitting fault.

If I didn't know any better, I would have mistaken you for Liberal politicians.

:kiddo:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

On the other hand the food is delicious.

http://www.themalaya.com.au/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Kat Delacour posted:

And that book store owner was Albert Einstein

-Kurt Cobain

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Andrew Bolt's comments about climate change on his television show were so hyperbolic and subjective that no reasonable person would think he was providing a "concluded scientific position", the television regulator has found.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) found The Bolt Report did not breach the Commercial Television Industry's Code of Practice when Mr Bolt presented facts about global temperatures in an episode aired on Southern Cross Ten in late 2015.

In particular, by showing a graph of global temperatures from 1997 to present, Mr Bolt was correct to say "there has been no real warming of the atmosphere for some 18 years now". However, the full chart goes back to 1979 and shows an increase in temperatures from 1979 to 1997.

ACMA noted that, while climate change was occurring, the code's requirements for accuracy only applied to statements of fact, not statements of opinion.

"Current affairs programs such as The Bolt Report are not precluded from taking a position of any matter and are not required to be balanced or to include all information about a particular issue," ACMA's report found.

"Much of Mr Bolt's language was hyperbolic, such as 'great global warming scare campaign', 'Australians aren't stupid', 'can't be fooled for long', 'all that propaganda' ... The use of hyperbole indicated that Mr Bolt was giving his subjective personal opinion about the matters being discussed and was not presenting a concluded scientific position about global warming in the segment."

Ten told ACMA Mr Bolt was presenting "his opinion based on material presented during the segment, rather than presenting the material as a statement of fact".

ACMA agreed. Even though Mr Bolt said his viewers "chose facts above fear" and presented his views as facts, ACMA believed his use of overblown language would have made the ordinary person realise he was only giving an opinion.

Mr Bolt declined to comment when contacted by Fairfax Media.

The program in question aired on November 8 last year but the investigation did not start until April. Mr Bolt's show now airs on subscription station Sky News Live.

The complaint argued that "taking small sections of larger graphs is neither accurate nor scientific" and was a way to manipulate data. It called for a correction and apology.

Co-host of Ten another show, Waleed Aly, criticised Mr Bolt's show a month after it aired, saying Mr Bolt could not keep denying climate change because of emotional or incorrect reasons.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Redcordial posted:

In one of my classes just last week, we had to describe a time we felt a strong sense of loss and grief, and how it felt.

Someone talked about how they lost a big game and dropped a ranking, while not being able to collect a new skin(?) in a game called League of Legends.....

In the army I faced some stupid, but this poo poo...

At least it wasn't a racist or sexist outburst, which happen far too often.

At TAFE in a first class on journalism we were asked what did we want to write about.

One boy said, and i quote, "i have two passions - video games and atheism".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Cleretic posted:

I consciously never mentioned my love of video games in as many university courses as possible for exaclt this reason.

I got marked down for my HSC choices on the topic of Utopia.

Watchmen and Transmetropolitan.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Uber v Taxi is Free Market v Monopoly.

Its why there are no winners.

Lax regulations v low standards through control

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Something similar has happened before

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laker_Airways

While Laker Airways failed, low fares and buying meals on board are becoming popular. Similarly, buying tickets on the day of travel has been adopted by airline shuttles plying the United States' Northeast corridor (where competition with the Acela Express is fierce) and on the Eastern shores of Australia.

Laker's most important legacy was that pioneering low-fare services across the Atlantic helped pave the way for low-cost airlines such as EasyJet and Ryanair, liberating the industry from the regulatory straitjacket IATA had imposed for decades in collusion with governments. These governments invariably were sole or majority owners of most IATA airlines. This was Laker's greatest contribution to its industry's future development.

Lid fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 11, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The NT Deputy Chief Minister has widened the CLP's attack on the ABC's Four Corners program, saying it was responsible for people dying after a program it ran on the live cattle trade.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Turnbull government’s knee-jerk reaction to the thoroughly misleading ABC special on the treatment of ­inmates at the NT’s Don Dale Youth ­Detention Centre marks yet another failed ­response to the real issue hiding in plain sight.

Like the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse, the latest show promises to feed those most in need of public reassurance of their own innate sense of morality and do little for those most at risk.

Had Labor Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s government not been so obsessed with the Roman Catholic Church it would have acknowledged that the overwhelming majority of cases of child sex abuse take place within the home, and that among those cases, there was a significant over-representation of children from broken homes, or de facto ­relationships, and yes, sad but true, of children identified as indigenous.

The terms of reference restricted Justice Peter McClellan to examine child sexual abuse in institutional context; ring-fencing the real problem from much-needed scrutiny.

So, too, do the Letters Patent for Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s commission into “the Child Protection and Youth Detention Systems of the Government of the Northern Territory”, ignore the bigger, almost existential, problem facing the young indigenous people who make up a staggering 97 per cent of the children in detention in the Northern Territory.

Turnbull’s Rudd-like bull-at-the-gate approach to government meant that his first Royal Commissioner, the former NT Chief Justice Brian Martin, had been replaced within a week of his appointment, by the familiar and ­almost permanently outraged indigenous figure Mick Gooda and former Queensland Supreme Court judge Margaret White, who should bring to the commission the judicial experience Gooda lacks.

Before bailing out, Martin said he would look at “questions about the culture in the system” adding that “whether racism does or doesn’t play a role will be a part of the ­inquiry.” He jumped ship saying he did not have the “full confidence” of sections of the indigenous community and was not prepared to compromise the inquiry.

Therein lies the problem.

Questioning the culture of the system is like looking at the paint job on a crashed car without asking whether the lack of brakes may have been the cause of the smash.

The institution didn’t put the youngsters in the slammer, but their culture, interpretation of it, or lack of it, did.

The so-called Abu Ghraib hood was being worn by the ­recidivist inmate Dylan Voller because of his unpleasant habit of spitting at law officers.

There’s little doubt that the other tough measures — hosing down and tear gas, as disagreeable as they may seem to middle-class ABC viewers — were also used for good reason most of the time.

The commission will spend a lot of money establishing what two previous inquiries have already established.

It will not, however, probe the dysfunctional habits of the community from which the young inmates have come.

Exploring the crisis in those families which identify as indigenous is unpopular because it will expose the myth that the life of Aboriginal Australians prior to the arrival of Europeans was idyllic.

It might disturb vegans to learn that the early Australians were carnivorous, it might disturb feminists to learn that they were, for the most part, fiercely patriarchal, and it might disturb pacifists to learn that they were often at war with each other.

Sadly, elements of the old culture of wife beating, polygamy and patriarchy still exist within some indigenous communities across the Northern Territory, northern Western Australia and northern Queensland.

Young girls are threatened with arranged marriages to older men, they are routinely treated brutally by their “husbands” and they have little ­redress.

Jacinta Yangapi Nampijinpa Price, a woman with a deep understanding of both European and Aboriginal Australia addressed a meeting at the Centre of Independent Studies in Sydney in late June.

The institution didn’t put the youngsters in the slammer, but their culture, interpretation of it, or lack of it, did.

Speaking plainly and from the heart, she addressed the ­issues that the Royal Commissioners will not.

“What we cannot continue to do,” she said, “is make excuses for violent behaviour. Instead of looking for constitutional recognition or treaties or governments to solve the problems, ownership, responsibility and constructive criticism must take place.

“Yes we’ve worked out the role governments have played in our country’s history but we also must acknowledge our own part in the demise of our people. We must acknowledge what within our own culture is detrimental to us finding solutions to our own problems and work out what changes we must make to move forward.

“Why is it we should remain stifled and live by 40,000-year-old laws when the rest of the world have had the privilege of evolution within their cultures so that they may survive in a modern world? Why in these times should there be an us-and-them mentality? We can’t rid this country of Europeans and the British or those from the rest of the world for that matter who now call Australia home.

“There was a four-decade long campaign to win citizenship rights for Aboriginal Australians but now the absolute fundamental rights of Aboriginal women, girls and children are being denied and ignored by white feminists and human rights lawyers who believe they know better, who believe that the real perpetrators are English speaking white men. We have the same rights as anybody else in this country and it is about time those rights were respected by everybody.”

Ms Price’s commonsense drives deeper to the heart of the basic issue than any Royal Commission has and should be adopted by all Australians.

Lid fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 14, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.facebook.com/JacintaPriceForCouncillor/posts/1651221008472272:0

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

blacksun posted:

She defends Bill Leak on her page. Jesus christ.

https://www.facebook.com/JacintaPriceForCouncillor/posts/1726144710979901

Jesus

https://www.facebook.com/JacintaPriceForCouncillor/posts/1728280120766360

Jesus

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Keep on trying to rewrite that legacy Tones, I look forward to your encore performance as Half Term Tony.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/14/labor-gobsmacked-by-tony-abbotts-u-turn-on-malaysia-solution

When i want to rewrite my legacy i too will say i support something i opposed that was literally found illegal in the high court.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hm how can we gather support for our anti Islam agenda, I know, lets storm a church

Central coast fascists are real fuckin dumb

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-15/party-for-freedom-stunt-disrupts-anglican-church-service/7733710

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Solemn Sloth posted:

Australian culture, much like a toilet, is full of poo poo

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
AusPol has gone soft

Full Stalinism Now

Said by someone who is clearly a clear thinker

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SynthOrange posted:

As a member of the chinese community, gently caress COMMUNITY VALUES

Re-posting from June, how the right has targeted Chinese, and now apparently Indian, communities to undercut progressivism

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/jul/09/how-a-chinese-language-social-media-campaign-hurt-labors-election-chances

Also this:

quote:

Labor campaigners said a cluster of marginal multicultural seats - Reid, Banks and Barton - had been buffeted by "dirty" attacks on same-sex marriage, Safe Schools and asylum seekers via the Chinese language messaging app WeChat, in particular.

Fred Nile's Christian Democratic Party was behind the Chinese language messages, which urged voters not to vote Labor because Labor and the Greens wanted to legalise same-sex marriage within 100 days, and claimed the "gay movement" was targeting their kindergarten children.

The WeChat messages directed voters to preference the Liberals second behind the CDP.

A CDP spokesman said the messages didn't carry the CDP authorisation because they had been created by "passionate supporters" from Chinese Christian churches.

"They are worried about losing religious freedom, and changes to marriage, and the Safe Schools threat to children and even preschoolers," the CDP spokesman said.

Another WeChat message said Labor would bring 30,000 illegal migrants into Australia and there would be no places for Chinese families.

Labor didn't expect to win back Reid from first-term Liberal MP Craig Laundy, who was bolstered with repeated visits to his seat from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Premier Mike Baird.

Before booths closed, Labor had been pessimistic about winning back the Liberals' most marginal NSW seat of Banks, but last night it was too close to call.

Ms Burney said: "There is a sea of red across the inner west."

Theres a clear move towards appealing to Chinese Christianity and wedging in politics by the right.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

Makes sense. If the LNP can distance themselves from the racism the right is typically associated with there's a goldmine of socially regressive voters in some of those migrant communities. I've never been too sure why anyone on the left thought large numbers of them would ever be allies in a left wing cause

It's the uncomfortable meeting point of multiculturalism and progressivism. Both are opposed by the right, both are supported by the left, but both can contradict each other. When political power gets involved everythings up in the air.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
FoDI coming

http://fodi.sydneyoperahouse.com/home/how-many-dangerous-ideas-can-one-person-have/

http://fodi.sydneyoperahouse.com/home/cheaters-sex-addicts-and-pickup-artists/

Lid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 28, 2016

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...829-gr3h78.html

quote:

Here's how the story goes.

Labor, the Greens and the Nick Xenophon Team join forces to block the same-sex marriage plebiscite in the Senate.

Swayed by passionate lobbying from advocates, Malcolm Turnbull ditches the idea and opts for a free vote in Parliament. The Prime Minister is, after-all, a longstanding supporter of marriage equality. And he's on the record opposing the plebiscite. Rather than defeated, he is unshackled. Deep down he's happy it's gone this way.

Allowed to vote according to their consciences, a same-sex marriage bill passes both houses of Parliament. There are tears of joy on the Senate floor; gay and lesbian couples around the country hit the streets to celebrate. Within days newspapers are filled with touching photos of the first gay and lesbian Australians to legally marry.

The only problem: it won't happen this way. Almost certainly not. And anyone telling supporters of same-sex marriage otherwise is promoting a dangerous fantasy. A dream as empty as it is alluring.

A plebiscite may not be desirable and may not be fair. But it is the only realistic option for marriage equality in this term in Parliament.

To reject it means same-sex marriage is probably three years away, perhaps more. By the next election Labor will have a binding vote in favour of marriage equality, making it hard to convince the Coalition to support a free vote.

Notice how quiet Eric Abetz and Cory Bernardi have been lately? Supposedly in favour of a plebiscite, they are delighted to see it on death row. A proposal designed to delay and divide is doing exactly that. By losing, they win.

Meanwhile, their colleagues who back same-sex marriage are arguing strongly for the plebiscite. Look at Warren Entsch, Christopher Pyne, Tim Wilson. All would prefer a free vote, but they know how their party works. They know that on this issue the Liberal Party truly is a broad church, with perspectives ranging from outright opposition to strident support.

The Labor figures who say Turnbull is hostage to the internal politics of his party on this issue are dead right. Internal politics matter.

When Malcolm Turnbull seized the prime ministership last September he signed a written agreement with the Nationals setting out the terms of the Coalition arrangement. Part of that deal was sticking with Tony Abbott's plan for a plebiscite.

Turnbull then took the plebiscite to an election, promising Australians a say on the issue. And he won - albeit narrowly.

If Turnbull was to backflip on his policy and allow a free vote it would inflame the conservative wing of the party. So much that so that Turnbull's leadership itself could be at stake. Scott Morrison, Barnaby Joyce, George Christensen, Abbott and many more would argue that a fundamental election commitment had been broken. They wouldn't be wrong.

Furthermore, a precedent would be set. Of Shorten staring down Turnbull. Of Turnbull buckling. You folded on same-sex marriage, Labor would taunt him, so why not on a banking royal commission or an emissions trading scheme?

Former High Court judge Michael Kirby has argued persuasively that delaying same-sex marriage is a risk worth taking. He's explained that a plebiscite is constitutionally unnecessary and could unleash a wave of hatred against gays and lesbians.

He also acknowledges that he has been in a committed gay relationship for over 40 years and he and his partner don't know if they'd want to marry.

Other gay couples would dearly love to marry and are sick of waiting. Some would be willing to fight a plebiscite to do it.

It's a grim choice but one that must be made. Dreams of a different world - a world where the internal politics of the party in power don't matter - won't make it go away.

splits

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

SynthOrange posted:

Federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has been accused of intolerance and "brutal" language towards people opposed to same-sex marriage, in a confrontation with a rector outside a church service this morning.

lol my feelings!

THE Anglican rector who confronted Bill Shorten in a Canberra churchyard today has previously warned same-sex marriage would lead to polygamy.

Ian Powell, of suburban Canberra’s St Matthew’s, has also said some gay people might be “wired” for paedophilia.

His comments were made in a July 2015 speech billed as “Same sex marriage and Jesus of Nazareth – are they friends or foes?” It was recorded by the City Bible Forum.

“How can plural marriage be resisted if same-sex marriage comes in?” Mr Powell said in the address.

“Frankly, it cannot be resisted and when people say it’s not even going to come to the table they’re just … they’re either ignorant or fibbing because we know from all around the world it is.

“Read your New York Times.”

In the same speech, he covered the suggestion same-sex marriage might be used to justify the actions of someone “in love with children”.

Mr Powell argued some would claim this was acceptable and vilify those who object.

“I’m not saying homosexuality is the same thing as paedophilia at all but what I am saying is we do know that there are certain … we say no that you may feel love, you may be wired that way but our society for whatever reason says no.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Lol kathy jackson

One more for cuntstruck

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
SHY says she's going to cross the floor to support the plebiscite

loving lol she's done

it's clear to her her ambitions to be the Greens leader, and ambitious tosser she is, are up in smoke and now she's going to burn SA Greens to the ground in her wake

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Self interested idiot continues to the be self interested, idiot.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/09/01/hanson-young-may-support-plebiscite

source to show what im talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...901-gr6a1f.html

Help

Im agreeing with stephen conroy

AND CORY BERNANDI

• Locked thread