Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Quick question, I'm seeing a lot of calls and encouragement to boycott the census for a number of reasons. But skipping the census carries a fine, yes? Do they actually fine people or is it more of a threat without any real legal mechanism too?

I guess I have the same question about voting; if I hadn't voted in the last election, how would they know enough to both find out that I didn't and track down my address in order to fine me (assume I failed to register to vote).

I forgot to vote in the qld state election last year and the the local Gold Coast municipal elections and I didn't get a fine, should I be worried that they're tracking me down now waiting to serve me with a number of outstanding charges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

It's really goddamn rich of him to take a run for the leadership when his final moments in office were spent passing refugee policies widely and aggressively opposed by the UN. Has anyone put to him how he would have reconciled the differences in policy between the UN and himself concerning refugees if he had formally been nominated to run for leadership? Was his goal to double-down and try to make boat turnbacks a worldwide policy or was he planning on repudiating his own platforms as leader of Australia?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Redcordial posted:

I've looked into the APS and am really interested in becoming a member, I'm just finding it hard to scrape the money together for it considering it's only a yearly membership. It's not a lot of money, but I've been unemployed for quite a while and unsuccessful interviews are causing me to drink more beer = even less money left over.

The GKS is only a once off payment of a similar price, so before I spend any money I'll make sure to attend the initiating events and assess the worthiness.

If I don't like what I see, I will become a member of the APS within the month.

What is it you're trying to do with a professional membership? Registration in the APS as a student is less than $100/year but there are psychology professional groups, student psychology groups, and APS groups on facebook that don't require any paid membership anywhere. If you're trying to scare up job opportunities, in the clinical psychology interest forum there are jobs posted all the time (although I don't know what the requirements are to join that group). Individual universities also usually have a facebook group devoted to their psychology cohort where job opportunities/professional networking sometimes takes place.

For what it's worth, someone mentioned Mensa; Mensa employs psychologists for psychometric testing for application purposes which is surprisingly lucrative because testing people of high ability is without any real complexity (and the people requesting testing tend to be people able to pay whatever you ask).

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Was At Home With Julia the one where the only joke was that her husband was secretly gay? Because why else would a woman choose to be deliberately barren?

He wasn't gay but the joke was that he desired more intimacy with her and continued to make plans to see her (i.e., cooking dinner for her or making plans to take her out) however she was too busy managing the cabinet that she was unable to attend these plans. In one episode, he buys premium ingredients to make her a fancy and romantic dinner but she has to court the vote of Bob Katter so she invites Katter to dinner as well and then realizes that her partner purchased imported ingredients for dinner and sends him back to get Australian produce and meats.

It was powerfully unfunny, I don't think I could watch more than 3 episodes and I have a high tolerance for awful television

Serrath fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 19, 2016

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

hooman posted:

I don't even know that it is. They may have just completely bought into Supply Side Economics and can't see the flaws with the policies that have been implemented, so there must be some problem somewhere else.

I honestly don't think the explanation is any deeper than this. Whatever the research and any period of time spent critically thinking about these issues tells you, on a very visceral and approachable level, the idea of trickle down economics makes "sense" to people like Morrison and, when this system fails, it's because we've failed it in some way. I know a lot of people who buy into this line and presuming that everyone is acting out of spite rather than an earnest belief in this logic fails to capture the psyche of Hockey, Morrison, and Turnbull. You want to understand what goes through their heads when they make statements like this, it's not like there are entire schools of economics and think tanks producing paper after paper and framing entire journals around this very topic, advocating exactly these positions using the same language our politicians today are apeing. Nevermind that these ideas haven't stood up to academic rigor, supporters of these policies only respond that they haven't been tried with sufficient faith yet.

These ideas need to be opposed, obviously, because of the harm they do to society. But it doesn't benefit the debate to assume that these economic models just appeared one night in the minds of malevolent people wishing to punish the poor and infirm. The harm they cause the poor isn't the intended consequence though they do acknowledge it as a necessary evil in the pursuit of a greater good. It's a dangerous ideology but it's not especially mysterious or difficult to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler
Wasn't same sex marriage going to be legalized today? What happened with that?

Actually, how is that supposed to work at all? From the news reports, Shorten is just going to... propose a motion to vote on SSM? Why is this being reported as some Machiavellian manipulation of the rules in the media, it seems like the first thing I'd do if I was a politician in favour of a policy that had wide public support but poor support among my political opponents...

• Locked thread