Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I've envied DS owners for years but I've never really felt like I could afford a super expensive 3DS. it has come to my attention, however, that a 2DS with Mario Kart 7 is only like $80, and all of the original pokemon games are $10 now. i'm thinking about going out and dropping some cash on a 2DS but i was wondering what games goons would say are good so i know i'll have stuff to play for the forseeable future.

i was gonna also pick up Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and possibly a Shin Megami Tensei game, cus I've heard a lot about those but never played one

goons what do you recommend? is a 2DS worth it? thanks in advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

For the price of a new console and a couple games you can play 20 years of the best Nintendo has to offer, especially since there are ports or digital versions of almost every good SNES and NES game.

does this include stuff like Earthbound and other awesome games I've wanted to play for ages

Hizke posted:

if you care about super Nintendo virtual console, its only available on the new 3ds.

so if i buy the 2ds I won't be able to play downloadable games? or is the virtual console specifically for ROMS and stuff? 75% of the reason I'm interested in one of these is cus i want to replay Pokemon Red

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It's specifically SNES games that are n3ds only.

shame, there are a good number of SNES games I'd like to play, but I don't think the extra $200 is really worth it for that feature + 3d capacity

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

You can still play Pokemon Red it's just the SNES downloadable games that won't work. Also Xenoblade and Hyrule Warriors Legends need a New 3DS to play and Monster Hunter benefits a lot from the extra buttons/stick on the New model but other than that the 2DS can play everything fine. I love my New 3DS XL but if you're gaming on a budget a 2DS is a sick deal and you won't regret it

edit: yeah for the difference in price you could pick up enough good games to last you a year

word, yeah, I'm not interested in either of those games so I'll be happy with the 2DS i think

how is this Yo-Kai watch game? seems like the best way to buy a 2DS is in a bundle, and the two $80 bundles are Yokai whatever and Mario Kart 7. I like Mario Kart, but only when I do rad MP sessions with my friends in the original one, so I'm not sure I'd get much mileage out of it alone

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so if i were to pick up a game with this bundle, what game would you guys recommend? preferably one in the ~$15-$20 range

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so i should hold off on getting anything at gamestop and just go home and check the eshop is what i'm hearing

ed: in order to enojy smt IV do i have to play the first 3? thats what i figured so i was looking into getting the remastered 1st one

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Awesome. Gonna check my bank account and if I'm not dead broke, gonna go to a GameStop a few miles away and get the yo Kai bundle. Are there any like, absolutely 100% necessary accessories? I don't usually drop things or whatever so a case won't be needed

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

well i could've waited and ordered a better bundle or something but i wanted to go physically acquire a system since buying a console is a blast from the past for me. went and got the red 2DS Yo-Kai Watch bundle with a used Ocarina of Time cart. probably gonna buy Pokemon Red in a few minutes here, check out the e-store

i haven't owned a handheld since i got a GBA color in the late 90s so i'm pretty stoked here

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

trip report: i'm still bad at ocarina of time and i picked squirtle as my starter pokemon

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

That's true but to be fair most consoles are worthwhile if u have the budget & u don't have anything that plays equivalent stuff, plus this forum is helpful for figuring out which games are good since it seems like everyone in GAmes just likes whatever has the most advertisements.

i've never really been a console person because of the intersection between PC and current gen console libraries, but you just can't replicate the DS with emulators on a stationary PC, so its an outlier imo. though if i had infinite money i'd buy at least a PS4 for bloodborne

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Homework Explainer posted:

you've got a giant library to choose from but when you've got the $$$ the zero escape series is good if you like reading

elite beat agents used/no case goes for about a dollar and every gamestop in the country has 10 copies

smtiv is good but if you get thorugh that and want more soul hackers and strange journey are both playable on 2ds

is SMT turn based or real time? the videos i've seen don't make it completely clear, the player character seems to be both beating things up in real time and doing earthbound style fights

also, i ran into a pikachu in Viridian forest, but I accidentally killed it in one hit w/my ratatata :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the AR cards are neat, just gave those a try. i'm not really into minigames in general so i probably won't use 'em much but i like the function. its also extremely cool that you can physically move teh DS to look around in Ocarina of Time

• Locked thread