Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
Welcome to the new Ask Us About Military History Thread 3: Ask Us About Military History with a Vengeance

If you have a question about military history, ask and someone will answer. They might even know what they're talking about!

First thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297799
Second thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027

Don't be shy! Don't worry if someone asked the same question 20 pages back! :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What's war good for anyway?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Scary stories.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

my dad posted:

Scary stories.

THE TIGER TANK IS UNDER THE HOUSE!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Psst, RD, edit in a link to this thread into the last post of the previous one.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SeanBeansShako posted:

THE TIGER TANK IS UNDER THE HOUSE!

A perfect illustration of why the tiger is overrated. A good tank is a tank that is there where you need it and the basement of a residence is not ideal for strategic mobility.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

A perfect illustration of why the tiger is overrated. A good tank is a tank that is there where you need it and the basement of a residence is not ideal for strategic mobility.

Would you rather have it down in the basement leaking all over the newspaper you put down, or piddling on your expensive rugs?

Besides, basements cure JABOs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I still have to catch up on the last ten pages of the last thread :negative:

Can't believe I've been posting in these fuckin' things for nearly 6 years now.

Edit: For context, I was finishing up my last year in high school when I first posted on page 47 of the original thread. I've since just finished grad school with a degree in museum education, and I'm starting a paid internship at Air and Space next week.

Time flies when you're having tankchat :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 1, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I still have to catch up on the last ten pages of the last thread :negative:

Can't believe I've been posting in these fuckin' things for nearly 6 years now.

Edit: For context, I was finishing up my last year in high school when I first posted on page 47 of the original thread. I've since just finished grad school with a degree in museum education, and I'm starting a paid internship at Air and Space next week.

Time flies when you're having tankchat :v:

I thought the first was a generalized GBS history thread that started in '08 or so. If I remember right Admiral Snackbar's thread links to it in his OP.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

THE PANTHER TANK IS UNDER THE HOUSE!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Have you guys heard about Wojtek the bear???

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Because it broken down, got stuck in the mud and for some reason somebody built a foundation around it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The answer is usually "Xenophon." :pseudo:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tank destroyers, what's up with that!!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Is it the panther or the tiger that's gears break before it runs out of fuel. I can never remember.

During WW2, I've seen a lot of off hand mentions of enemy equipment being captured and used. How did the various belligerents go about this? Specifically, how did they avoid friendly fire incidents? Were there a bunch of panzer IVs with red stars painted on them?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is the old thread getting goldmined, or will all those posts be lost forever, like tears in the archives?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've got a question on WWII.

I just recently watched this retrospective on Call of Duty, which then made remember this video. We really haven't seen many big name WWII games recently, have we? Even Battlefield's gone back to WWI (although automatic weapons and tanks that move faster than walking are the order of the day, because historical accuracy is nothing compared to maintaining core mechanics, can't risk the players getting out of their comfort zone).

So I'm curious, what obscure battles/theatres/units would you include in a WWII game?

Or what other wars would you want to see covered? I mean, aside from Landsknecht Shooting out of Window Sim 1642, that one's a given.

Literally anything in China is an unknown when it comes to land combat. Not sure how you'd make it appealing or fun, but its definitely a theatre not encountered (unless you play ASL or groggy PC wargames like Order of Battle).

Most of the China-Burma-India theatre hasn't really been explored either, although some games (Like Call of Duty World At War) have had events directly, or indirectly affecting/referencing them.

Anyone vs. Vichy France is hardly ever talked about or referenced (See: Battle of Madagascar, Operation Torch, Operation Dragoon). Having some insurgency gameplay ala "The Saboteur" with that setting could make for an interesting game, in my opinion.

And then you have the vastness of the Eastern Front. We've all seen Stalingrad, Warsaw or the Reichstag done multiple times but there are plenty of other locations that would be worth a look.

Operations and other military plans that never came to fruition could also be quite intriguing. Things like Operation Tannenbaum, Operation Herkules, and others could prove interesting thought experiments on the war as a whole (What if Germany invades the Swiss, how does that affect combat operations in the east?). It would probably be taken too far by some as some sort of justification that Country X could've won the war earlier or whatever, but I guess that already happens so who cares? :shrug:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

P-Mack posted:

Is the old thread getting goldmined, or will all those posts be lost forever, like tears in the archives?

The latter, most likely.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Splode posted:

Is it the panther or the tiger that's gears break before it runs out of fuel. I can never remember.

During WW2, I've seen a lot of off hand mentions of enemy equipment being captured and used. How did the various belligerents go about this? Specifically, how did they avoid friendly fire incidents? Were there a bunch of panzer IVs with red stars painted on them?

This is some Harry Turtledove looking poo poo right here...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Splode posted:

Sometimes they were painted with huge identifying marks, other times they were small, but I've regularly seen 'regular' sized markings.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Splode posted:

The Germans absolutely painted giant iron crosses on their captured tanks (often with a swastika or two for good measure, just to be sure). The Western Allies obviously didn't have as much need for captured vehicles (apparently small arms were much more sought after). No idea about the Soviets but they have that hilarious quote re: Tigers and Panthers so I'm guessing they didn't much care.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Tank destroyers, what's up with that!!

Panther: great tank or greatest tank?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DID SOMEONE SAY TIGER?!

Time to put on some extra defenses, boys!

ArchangeI posted:

The Germans absolutely painted giant iron crosses on their captured tanks (often with a swastika or two for good measure, just to be sure). The Western Allies obviously didn't have as much need for captured vehicles (apparently small arms were much more sought after). No idea about the Soviets but they have that hilarious quote re: Tigers and Panthers so I'm guessing they didn't much care.

Depends on the unit, honestly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elyv posted:

Panther: great tank or greatest tank?

Piss poor tank. Now, Sherman vs T-34 for best tank of the war. Discuss.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

gohuskies posted:

Have you guys heard about Wojtek the bear???

Sounds interesting, please tell us more!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cythereal posted:

Piss poor tank. Now, Sherman vs T-34 for best tank of the war. Discuss.

Churchill :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Love the look and the gun towards the end of the war, shame about the tracks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
good god, the last one had 45000 posts?

good god

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Get a mod in here and goldmine the old thread for crissake!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koesj posted:

Get a mod in here and goldmine the old thread for crissake!

It only had a 4 rating. Guess it got a lot of ones from keldoclock fans.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bewbies posted:

good god

and you read them all

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

P-Mack posted:

It only had a 4 rating. Guess it got a lot of ones from keldoclock fans.

And, to be honest, the thread did occasionally pounce on clueless people who came in asking dumb/incendiary questions in innocent ignorance.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Splode posted:

Yep, even panthers and tigers. There's a picture somewhere around of a row of Panthers with white (not red) stars haphazardly painted on the sides of the turrets, surrounded by soviet tank crews.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The new thread icon is gonna take me a long time to get used to

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

my dad posted:

Scary stories.

Drunken Soldier stories (Or more drunk than usual, depending on period)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

bewbies posted:

good god

finally, I might actually be able to keep up with this one

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Airborne Viking posted:

finally, I might actually be able to keep up with this one

Not if this rate of posting keeps up.

Thanks for the replies on captured poo poo everyone

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Should we go about compiling (a) a list of notable posters and their contributions and (b) a FAQ of commonly asked questions and link them to a reposted answer to that question?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Raenir Salazar posted:

Should we go about compiling (a) a list of notable posters and their contributions and (b) a FAQ of commonly asked questions and link them to a reposted answer to that question?

That'd break the point of:

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

If you have a question about military history, ask and someone will answer. They might even know what they're talking about!

Don't be shy! Don't worry if someone asked the same question 20 pages back! :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Seeing a Sherman being used by the Nazis makes me really sad in a way I'm not sure I can justify regarding a piece of inanimate military equipment.

Poor tank. :smith: