Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Monocled Falcon posted:

I want to troll some wehraboos: buy one of those fancy model kits for some obscure nazi tank and paint it up as captured by the Soviets.

Panther or tiger?

How is Panther or Tiger obscure?

Those are like the two most common German tanks to kit build.

If you really wanna gently caress with em, you should make this in Soviet colors -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Grand Fromage posted:

I moved your old nerd poo poo thread to the dumb goldmine for nerds to read, spergs. :wotwot:

Post something cool about Roman military stuff while you're here!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoyed the Brothers in Arms games because they were as much about pointing and shouting as they were about actually shooting anybody. I liked SWAT 4 for the same reason. More FPS games need to be about pointing and shouting, in my opinion.

Also, tankchat caused me to remember that the KV-2 existed, which in my opinion looks like one of those tanks that probably ought to be fake (or at least a goofy prototype that never saw combat) but I guess nope, it was out there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, tankchat caused me to remember that the KV-2 existed, which in my opinion looks like one of those tanks that probably ought to be fake (or at least a goofy prototype that never saw combat) but I guess nope, it was out there.

Contrast the T-95 which was a goofy prototype that never saw combat but looked pretty drat mean, like a Hetzer's big brother.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I have a couple of questions about Napoleonics

The big one is about musketry, namely how effective it was and the tactics involved. However, I've lost the site I was going to query some information about right now, so I'll start with the smaller question

How were battles coordinated?
Was it all planned in advance and everyone had to stick to it (like making plans with friends before mobile phones) until they went their own way and took initiative in a situation? Or could things be change in the heat of battle with coordination?
I guess runners with messages but were they sent between Duke This and Duke That?
Or between Duke This and Duke That but via General Whatever for approval?
Or did only the general issue runners with messages during battle to avoid confusion?
Did messengers often get lost?

I appreciate full answers if you have them, and online links you think might be likely if you don't!

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Thread should be titled Ask Us About Military History Mk III 'Longstreet'

Congrats on the new thread, I look forward to wasting far too many hours reading it.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

simplefish posted:

I have a couple of questions about Napoleonics

The big one is about musketry, namely how effective it was and the tactics involved. However, I've lost the site I was going to query some information about right now, so I'll start with the smaller question

This youtube video is extremely relevant to your query. From military history visualised. Discusses the different muskets different nations used, effective range and accuracy and how that influenced the doctrines used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX0sRSgJsWc

simplefish posted:

It was still the era of pitched battles so a commander could have view of the entire battlefield and issue commands via riders and so forth. The interesting aspect though was that armies were getting too large to march as a single entity even though they would always come together to fight as a single entity as much as possible. An army would be split into 2 or 3 entities, or corps, which would march on different roads, pillage and forage different regions and each have their own artillery and cavalry and could fight pitched battles with the main enemy for some time. Until the other columns came to the rescue as it were. Inspiring the phrase, "march to the sound of the guns", which is generally what a column was expected to do should it hear fighting.

simplefish posted:

Was it all planned in advance and everyone had to stick to it (like making plans with friends before mobile phones) until they went their own way and took initiative in a situation? Or could things be change in the heat of battle with coordination?

Before Austerlitz, Napoleon famously commented to his Generals to "study this ground as a famous battle would be fought here". There was clearly a plan before the battle was joined, but both sides would have vastly different plans. Certainly there was room for initiative from lower level commanders but the overall commander could usually "see" most of what was going on. Cannot think of any major examples of initiative seizing commanders, if people have examples that would be awesome!

simplefish posted:

I guess runners with messages but were they sent between Duke This and Duke That?

Runners were a WWI or WWII thing mostly, in this era they would mostly have used riders, because faster and not very vulnerable at all.

Don't really know about the other queries. Although knowing this thread, there are much more knowledgeable people here about to contradict the things I've said!

EDIT:
There was the famous charge of the light brigade! Lord Cardigan received seemingly suicidal orders which were carried by Captain Nolan, which he queried but was rudely rebuffed by Captain Nolan. Lord Cardigan then proceeded to suicidally charge a battery of guns at the end of the valley. Which were not the guns that the orders or Captain Nolan were referring to. Ambiguous orders are stupid.

Once Nolan realised the impending disaster that was about to unfold, galloped in front of Lord Cardigan (Pissing Cardigan off no end) and tried to lead the brigade to not suicidally charge the guns at the end of the valley. But he was very promptly killed by said guns.

BattleMoose fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 2, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
New thread! /puffs out lungs

HOW ABOUT THOSE TANK DESTROYERS EH?

pictured: a powerful anti-tank weapon

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 2, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Empress Theonora posted:

It's more like "the Sherman is literally the only tank I can identify by sight because I'm a WW2 equipment dunce", actually.

edit: are there, like, ww2 tank flashcards or something. i'm kind of embarrassed i can't even tell a t-34 from a....... well, that's the only tank i can name.

There are indeed! During the war, most armies made tank recognition guides so the troops would know what the enemy was using (and also what their allies were using - it wouldn't look good for your troops to shoot at allied tanks because they didn't recognise them) you can download one here (I mean, it only applies to British AFVS circa 1941, but it should give you an idea of what these sort of things looked like).

I like how this guide describes the lend-lease tanks as 'similar' to their American counterparts, as if the British just happened to possess tanks that were identical to ones the US army was using. Because the US is neutral, you see.

There's also this one which looks at what the Japanese were using and how they were using it.[/url]

Obviously these scans are not the best, unfortunately, but hopefully they're a bit helpful. I'm sure EnsignExpendable has links to better guides.

There's also this, but I think it's made by a contemporary Wehraboo, so take some of the descriptions with a pinch of salt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
*clears throat*
Wallenstein.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

*clears throat*
Wallenstein.

Seriřsly dude, could I ask you to make an effortpost on Wallenstein? It was spread too much over the old thread for me to get a clear picture, and I understand he was some kind of big shot back in the day. Bonus love if you include the rumors about him being a wizard, that's all kinds of exciting :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

simplefish posted:

in the 17th century: the first one--so much so that little sketches with pre-battle plans on them exist. Then during the battle each oberst is expected to know enough to take his own initiative, and each big block is expected to be tough enough to fight on its own until rescued, if necessary.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Seriřsly
wow, that's serious

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

wow, that's serious

Get cracking or I'm whipping out the umlauts

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Get cracking or I'm whipping out the umlauts
  • big into strategic mobility and deception, like Torstensson
  • but unlike that guy, very tactically defensive, his battles all go (1) make sure you're on better ground than your enemy (2) fortify it
  • also did what nobody else could do before or since, which is make sure an army that works for the HRE or its successor, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is well supplied
  • rich as hell, put villas up on all his estates, you can visit them
  • definitely had gout and malaria
  • possibly also had syphilis and heart disease
  • not the sanest knife in the drawer
  • had a habit of telling people exactly what he thought of them in writing, which was sometimes good and sometimes not as good
  • was into astrology, owned an amulet
  • my fav

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

• my fav
  • big into strategic mobility and deception, like Torstensson
  • but unlike that guy, very tactically defensive, his battles all go (1) make sure you're on better ground than your enemy (2) fortify it
  • also did what nobody else could do before or since, which is make sure an army that works for the HRE or its successor, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is well supplied
  • rich as hell, put villas up on all his estates, you can visit them
  • definitely had gout and malaria
  • possibly also had syphilis and heart disease
  • not the sanest knife in the drawer
  • had a habit of telling people exactly what he thought of them in writing, which was sometimes good and sometimes not as good

I'm getting the impression that he was an autist as well, the whole devotion to minutiae must have driven people around him insane, but also made his sick level of attention to logistics possible.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I'm getting the impression that he was an autist as well, the whole devotion to minutiae must have driven people around him insane, but also made his sick level of attention to logistics possible.
things he was obsessed with include:
possibly growing silk on his estates
the exact measurements of the cells of the monks he was supporting with a Stiftung he set up
the management of his estates in general, city planning for Jicin

oh yeah, he and General Pappenheim were also bros for life and BFFs. I learned yesterday that Pappenheim is buried beside an empty tomb, which was intended for Wallenstein.

edit: Well, as far as the logistics is concerned, being one of the richest people in Europe didn't hurt.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 2, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yo Hey Gal, can you recommend Golo Mann's Wallenstein? I read a bit of it years ago and remember being really impressed and I'd like to try it again, but I have no idea about how historically accurate it is. It reads more like a novel, after all

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Yo Hey Gal, can you recommend Golo Mann's Wallenstein? I read a bit of it years ago and remember being really impressed and I'd like to try it again, but I have no idea about how historically accurate it is. It reads more like a novel, after all
i can indeed :getin:
also Rebitsch's Matthias Gallas. Haven't read his Wallenstein but if it's as good as the Gallas bio then get it. Also there's a bunch of things about the Wallenstein-Affair in the bio of Gallas, as there would have to be.

edit: speaking of the things he funded, he founded a lot of schools on his dominions and at least one of them remained in operation until 1945, which is emotionally moving to me.

edit 2: feel free to skip the part of Rebitsch's book where he talks about the history of Trent since the 1400s :jerkbag:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

edit: Well, as far as the logistics is concerned, being one of the richest people in Europe didn't hurt.

Well, if you're gonna have a stiftelse, the monks can't go about sleeping in :stare: disharmonious proportions :stare:

Anyway, being hood rich isn't going to cut it, the world is full of people throwing a lot of money at problems without solving them( looking at you, Saudi Arabia!).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Well, if you're gonna have a stiftelse, the monks can't go about sleeping in :stare: disharmonious proportions :stare:
what bothered him specifically is that the plans the monks gave him specified cells that were very small, too small to stand up or move around in. he hated this because he thought it would be unhealthy, and didn't seem to get that they probably wanted to practice aesceticism in those cells. so he revised the plans and sent them the gently caress back.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

what bothered him specifically is that the plans the monks gave him specified cells that were very small, too small to stand up or move around in. he hated this because he thought it would be unhealthy, and didn't seem to get that they probably wanted to practice aesceticism in those cells. so he revised the plans and sent them the gently caress back.

Good to know W-bone really cares as long as you're a monk or never screw up :D

Also, can you repost the bit about the soldier who "shat on the hundred thousand sacraments"? Asking for a friend :allears:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoyed the Brothers in Arms games because they were as much about pointing and shouting as they were about actually shooting anybody. I liked SWAT 4 for the same reason. More FPS games need to be about pointing and shouting, in my opinion.

Have you ever tried being a tank commander in ArmA?

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

simplefish posted:

Or between Duke This and Duke That but via General Whatever for approval?
Or did only the general issue runners with messages during battle to avoid confusion?
Did messengers often get lost?

The actual level of command anyone had over a battle at that time is probably extremely debatable. Everything happened so fast during charges and counter-charges, and as BattleMoose said the armies were getting so big, that by the time you have the huge battles like Borodino and Leipzig, it's basically up to initial plans, local initiative and a healthy dose of luck. Of course that can go either way.

Jena-Auerstedt is a great example of the insanity that was Napoleonics. At Jena, Napoleon basically blundered into what he thought was the whole Prussian army, but was in fact only a small part of it. Cue General Ney launching an unordered suicide charge straight at the Prussians, which Napoleon has to then send more guys to rescue. Meanwhile over at Auerstedt an entirely separate battle was going down where the actual majority of the Prussian army was fighting Davout's Corps, and was handily defeated by Davout's brilliant commanding despite their numbers advantage.

And yes, messengers got lost all the time, which led to a huge amount of orders getting confused, missed or being completely outdated by the time they actually arrived. Jena-Auerstedt provides another great example, where one of Napoleon's Corps (under Bernadotte) kept marching back and forth between the battles, not actually committing to either of them because Napoleon hadn't really told him what to do.

Even though it's obviously not a perfect historical source or anything, Tolstoy's War and Peace actually has some great battle sections which get across the chaos and unpredictability of the battles very well. Even if you don't read the whole thing I'd recommend checking out the Borodino stuff, and some of the earlier, smaller battles as well.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ainsley McTree posted:

KV-2 is so cute.

It was also the tank that stopped a german column on it's lonesome near Raisenai, though I think I remember on EE's blog that the original source doesn't mention if it's a KV-1 or KV-2 so maybe that's wrong.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why did the 30 years war go on for so long?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

oh yeah, he and General Pappenheim were also bros for life and BFFs. I learned yesterday that Pappenheim is buried beside an empty tomb, which was intended for Wallenstein.

Can love bloom on the battlefield?

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Comstar posted:

Would have just been improper to have finished early!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, Wallenstein is clearly a Farseer...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comstar posted:

every single country in Europe, looking at what's going on: "boy, getting sucked into this is a fantastic idea that can in no way go wrong! let's go to war"
fifteen minutes later: :mrwhite:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 2, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Empress Theonora posted:

Seeing a Sherman being used by the Nazis makes me really sad in a way I'm not sure I can justify regarding a piece of inanimate military equipment.

Poor tank. :smith:
i think everyone cares about equipment like that, ask people who have swords about their swords, artillerists give all their cannon names, ships of course, etc. So yeah--poor tank.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A question- how do submariners avoid going insane? How do navies decide which people will be able to cope with hours crammed inside a boat designed to sink, and do they ever get it wrong...?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

xthetenth posted:

Post something cool about Roman military stuff while you're here!

Here's a Roman handheld flamethrower.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

That is cool.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Good to know W-bone really cares as long as you're a monk or never screw up :D

Also, can you repost the bit about the soldier who "shat on the hundred thousand sacraments"? Asking for a friend :allears:

Found it!

quote:

"The weirdest today was the dude who broke in on an argument that two of his roommates were having by saying that he wished the devil would take their heads and knock them against the wall. When he was told that he shouldn't talk like that but instead remember the lord God, he said that he had made a pact with the Devil. Then he said that he "shat on the hundred thousand sacraments," "and other things too horrible to recount."

30yw soldiers own.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

every single country in Europe, looking at what's going on: "boy, getting sucked into this is a fantastic idea that can in no way go wrong! let's go to war"
fifteen minutes later: :mrwhite:

Not every country :britain: One of James the First's smarter moves in the shorter term was ignoring the Puritans and not getting involved right at the start, even though his son in law getting the boot was what kicked off the whole thing. In the longer term, of course, that's one of the things that got us stoked up for our babby version a few decades later.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

' Pappenheim & Wallenstein' sounds like the title of the best sitcom ever. They could call each other Pappie and Wallie and have wacky drunken adventures involving pistols, windows and wizards.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

INinja132 posted:

The actual level of command anyone had over a battle at that time is probably extremely debatable. Everything happened so fast during charges and counter-charges, and as BattleMoose said the armies were getting so big, that by the time you have the huge battles like Borodino and Leipzig, it's basically up to initial plans, local initiative and a healthy dose of luck. Of course that can go either way.

Jena-Auerstedt is a great example of the insanity that was Napoleonics. At Jena, Napoleon basically blundered into what he thought was the whole Prussian army, but was in fact only a small part of it. Cue General Ney launching an unordered suicide charge straight at the Prussians, which Napoleon has to then send more guys to rescue. Meanwhile over at Auerstedt an entirely separate battle was going down where the actual majority of the Prussian army was fighting Davout's Corps, and was handily defeated by Davout's brilliant commanding despite their numbers advantage.

And yes, messengers got lost all the time, which led to a huge amount of orders getting confused, missed or being completely outdated by the time they actually arrived. Jena-Auerstedt provides another great example, where one of Napoleon's Corps (under Bernadotte) kept marching back and forth between the battles, not actually committing to either of them because Napoleon hadn't really told him what to do.

Even though it's obviously not a perfect historical source or anything, Tolstoy's War and Peace actually has some great battle sections which get across the chaos and unpredictability of the battles very well. Even if you don't read the whole thing I'd recommend checking out the Borodino stuff, and some of the earlier, smaller battles as well.

I'm thinking of running a game of Black Powder that has all the divisions commanded by Goons (on both sides) - with everything going through emails and messages moving via riders. I want to recreate as much of the fog of war as possible - I'm not sure HOW often to make the messengers get lost, or how fast to make them move yet, but the planning stage is there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Molentik posted:

' Pappenheim & Wallenstein' sounds like the title of the best sitcom ever. They could call each other Pappie and Wallie and have wacky drunken adventures involving pistols, windows and wizards.
pappenheim already has a nickname, it was "scarface" (balafré)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

pappenheim already has a nickname, it was "scarface" (balafré)

scarface would be a pretty good name for a movie