Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Deadliest Warrior tended to do really awful match-ups that just involve a handful of weapons chosen based on how distinct they are. The VC got punji stakes for their special weapon. The SS got a flamethrower.

So... the SS guy staggered along under the weight of his weapon then fell into a pit and died?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Image it really well then carefully drill a small hole through the soil and into the fuse?

I assume Grand Slams didn't have the anti-tamper mechanisms that some smaller bombs did.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flies slightly straighter I assume. Same reason they have fins.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Were there any notable times when a wave of drunkenness did not ensue? That is, a group of soldiers were sober and responsible to everyone's considerable confusion?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can't really do that. This came up a lot during WWII. Want to plug a 107 mm gun into the IS? Splendid, except all the 107 mm ammunition we have is Tsarist era HE grenades. Want a 130 mm bunker buster? Neato, where are you going to get ammo for it? That's a Navy caliber, stick with a 122 mm gun like we already have.

Isn't making new ammunition / new ammo types way easier than a new gun? You already have the cartridge dimensions and maximum pressure, so load to that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The prize money would be ruinous.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Australia has some ridiculously hard/durable woods. Why would you use a crap one?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They were covering up how good the British radar network was, IIRC.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Like the best propaganda, there is some truth in it. The Germans knew about the radars, but vitamin A does help eyesight. But very little of vitamin A that can be absorbed comes from carrots in the form of beta carotene

Specifically, a lack of vitamin A can cause night blindness. But once you reach your dietary requirement additional vitamin A won't offer any improvement.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If you couldn't get off the field yourself, and weren't helped, you were probably going to bleed out anyway. I'd imagine that in a lot of cases, killing severely wounded opponents left on the field would probably be merciful.

Also makes it easier to get their boots off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is accidentally killing your own CO considered a major faux pas or just one of those things that happens?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Remember that we're talking about the wounded here, ie the survivors. If a rifle round guess straight through you and takes out a vital organ you need no medical treatment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A lot of engineers and metallurgists have spent the last hundred years figuring out how to give it more dakka.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

We may have been talking about big scale models in the scale model thread, and somebody posted this 1/35 Dora:

Looks chunky enough that it could load an actual handgun cartridge. Do a hand load with a super high-weight-bullet/low propellant load, market it as a functioning replica.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe you go through 200m of caves to reach it, but the vertical distance is only 10-20m from the surface.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What was the 'incendiary shot' mentioned above? Flammable materials dropped down the cannon barrel and using the heat of the gas to ignite them on firing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

hot shot, probably. an iron ball heated red-hot and loaded into the cannon with tongs.

How do you do that firing ship-to-ship? You can't exactly have a furnace going.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

it's what you cook with, so...

and the shipboard shot furnace is a 19th century thing

I thought you doused the galley etc during battle because of the fire risk. Or is it worth the risk?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hogmartin posted:

Heated shot sounds ridiculous for all kinds of practical reasons, but the one that strikes me is how do you keep a ball hot enough to ignite wood from setting off your powder charge before you're ready? Even if you're using some kind of wadding, it seems like the odds of going off while some poor dope is loading it would make it not worth the risk.

I heard that they used damp wool as wadding. If you were too slow in firing then the result was that the steam had dampened your powder and it wouldn't fire at all, rather than the heat penetrating the wadding and detonating the powder prematurely.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

They did basically most of the stuff that support staff does today. In addition to soldiers' wives/girlfriends/whatever (the word I have heard is "beischlaf," "the person you're sleeping with") and children, there were also young men used as servants, civilian subcontractors like drovers, and people there to sell soldiers stuff. The Tross was so big that probably every 17th century army is twice as big as the troop numbers suggest. Anything in particular you want to know?

Did the generals worry at all about the logistics for the camp followers, or was that entirely for them to sort out?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

I've got no contact with propellant development or anything of the sort. But from what I learned in my nanotechnology studies, there's probably all kinds of new and exciting propellant performance that could be produced via nano-powders of suitable materials instead of using bulk materials.:science:

And possibly electrothermal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

DD-21 was originally designed for a gun that was mounted vertically, with the muzzle flush with the deck

That sounds fun.
I'm picturing a small hole in the deck with some really emphatic hazard strips painted on the deck around it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BattleMoose posted:

Really the initial argument was, WWII era ships sink very very often, unlike ships of the line.

What would a 250kg bomb do to a ship of the line though?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dibs on not being the one to braid 16 strands of barbed wire together.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HEDP is a thing though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Was anyone else excited then disappointed when NASA announced their new vehicle 'Orion'?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elyv posted:

Gay Black Hitler is sort of a catch-all in this thread for "hey what if <insert incredibly improbable thing here> were to happen, could Germany have won WW2?"

As I understand it, you start with "hey what if certain event went like (this) instead", but to make that happen in that way a bunch of earlier things have to be different, and for those to have been different then other conditions must have changed, and it keeps ramifying until you have Gay Black Hitler purging the Zoroastarians from Hyper-Brazil.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 22, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tias posted:

Also, Knecht is actually a term meaning 'boy' or 'young man', but can be both adoring or perjorative. When used in a military sense, like HEY GAIL says, it's more akin to 'soldier'.

'Lad'? As in, 'the lads' and 'our lads'.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 22, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

A list of British Army regimental nicknames through the ages....

Kind of curious about other countries ones if they do this too.

Based purely on the names, which of these regiments would you least like to fight?

I'm going to go with the 'Donkey Wallopers'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Does Russian doctrine allow for the limited use of tactical nukes?

Don't they have a "nuclear de-escalation" policy? AKA "If we're losing then we'll nuke our opponent just a little bit, which will surely make them back down."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

So how many % of the Phantom's air-to-air kills were made with guns?

I'm told* that it was less about shooting things with the gun than it was about the change in the pilot's attitude created by having a gun.

* apocryphal, do not trust

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the other factor with SMGs is that they weren't meant to be accurate, so you can get away with corner cutting and loose tolerances as long as the bullets still go in the general direction of the enemy. An infantry rifle by comparison needs to be able to reliably hit targets at distances of hundreds of metres.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wood is a cheap and nonstrategic material.

But an iron rod with a bend in it is faster to manufacture.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Fire is better at pulling in oxygen that you think. A big fire will pull a huge amount of air to feed itself. A matchstick burning for only seconds can demonstrate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaYLsahzHwc

I've never quite understood this. If you react one mole of O2 it'll produce one mole of CO2. So total volume stays the same. Include heat effects and pressure should increase.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Somebody gets blown up with an IED. Without armour they catch shrapnel over their entire body and die. With armour their vitals are protected and they live, but one or more of their limbs are still destroyed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Artillery had become a major factor in field battles by then hadn't it? It's not just handheld weapons you need to build, but heavy iron.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Also the prewar southern railway network was a hodgepodge of small operators more focused on shipping stuff from plantations and farms to the ports and not carrying passengers from one state to another. Also the :bahgawd: MAH STATES RAGHTS :bahgawd: nature of the Confederate government made moving troops and supplies from one state to another hilariously, needlessly difficult.

I read that they literally had to disembark and wait for a new train every time they got to a state border?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I think the argument is that it's impossible to effectively armor warships against the threats they face these days. So instead you discard armor, build them small and (in theory) cheap, and make plays into low observability.

But if you've discarded 'cheap' (which many designers have), what is the remaining advantage of being small?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Wood is useful and everywhere like you said. Also a thin covering of leather really makes it much stronger. You can find cutting tests of these on YouTube and it's pretty remarkable. Albeit the ones I found were made with layered plywood.

You can also stretch leather over a light wooden frame I believe. There's also wicker but that's mostly useful for catching arrows/javelins.
In any event a shield was an inherently disposable item. You might salvage the iron boss and/or rim if you were lucky enough to have them but the rest of the shield would be replaced.
(Or just nick one off somebody who didn't get much use out of his before getting stabbed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So kind of like a GWAR concert?

Yes, but with worse hygiene.