Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I mean the US recently lost their entire Chinese spy network because they relied on NordVPN for infosec...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Azerban posted:

want to hear about this one

Bunch of people get dragged out of their chairs and shot in the back of the head for spying, starting a few years back. Speculation about how they all got found out, whether it was a mole or double agent or whatever.

Finally turns out CIA tools for secure electronic communication that they use less sophisticated Middle Eastern countries are unsafe when you try to use them on the wrong side of the Great Firewall. From what I read it's less that they cracked the encryption and more that there was some yospos evidence linking the connection used to the CIA so anyone using it at all was a red flag.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Epicurius posted:

They were Chinese nationals passing on information to the US, not US agents.

Yeah. Some of them were just shot in the head with no arrest or trial so iffy as far as due process goes, but no diplomatic issue.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

I remember some episodes of the TV show with the chap in your avatar being particularly embarrassing in that regard.

Yep, those 20 French dudes sure are a full battalion, totally convinced.

Just fill the rest of the shot with smoke, problem solved.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are postindustrial civil wars less civil than their predecessors?

Not particularly.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm not an obstetrician but wouldn't chronic hunger lead to a bunch of problems with carrying to term anyway? Unless that's what you're getting at cuz I'm dense af today because I haven't eaten anything.

Yep. Look at a Chinese population pyramid and the Great Leap Forward is the first thing you see. A lot of women never got pregnant in the first place though due to starvation induced amenorrhea and uterine prolapse.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

So maybe I should watch that Steven Spielberg Lincoln movie, but is it true that abolishing slavery was made a political goal by Lincoln and others when massive crazy casualties on both sides needed a point and a cause to continue fighting?

My ACW knowledge is pretty much this thread and that Ken Burns documentary

Also, is it true that the black population was way ahead of the curve at understanding "this is what will doom slavery" even as pols were still all "but maybe we could compromise?!?" Because if so, it is mighty impressive. I know the story of slavery as a political issue is that the political class constantly sought compromise lllllloooonnnnngggg after to the average citizen it was clear there could be no compromise

It certainly would have been awkward to get tens of thousands killed and let the slaveholding planters who started it go back to business as usual.

Black people were part of this and yes they realized the situation before most white people. They fled toward Union lines almost at the beginning of the war. The very first batch was actually sent back to their owners then the Union general (Butler maybe?) realized this was absurd and deftly evaded the political issue by declaring them "contraband of war". If slaves were property, then confiscating property contributing to the enemy war effort was well within his rights.

So before long you have tens of thousands of effectively free blacks working for the Union army, with it being practically and politically impossible to send them back to slavery as part of reunification. Emancipation formalized this process and provided encouragement for more slaves to abandon the plantations at the first opportunity. (On top of its propaganda value both at home and with the European powers.)

So I don't think its just that emancipation became an issue that abolitionists rallied the north with but also that victory without emancipation became absurd. "Breaking the slave power" wasn't just a rhetorical flourish, but part of the practical prosecution of the war and pretty quickly reached a point where it couldn't be rolled back.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean, if you were black then the 'gentlemanly' resolution to the ACW was pretty terrible and set you up for another hundred years of full blown legal discrimination to keep you firmly at the bottom of the civic ladder.

And yeah, the Western theatre got really nasty at points (mainly when the Confederate cavalry decided to go on a raid).

We didn't go straight from the war to Jim Crow, there was a post war terrorist movement and it eventually won a victory that stood for almost a century. Before black voters were suppressed legally they had to be suppressed violently.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cessna posted:

Anyone who bets their life on this deserves what they get.

I can see this as something that happened once, scared the poo poo out of the guys in the truck, and then twenty retellings later ends up in that book as something that was done repeatedly and on purpose.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ultimately, this discussion boils down to a simple question:

If the ancient Greeks had tabletop wargames, what 40K army would Alexander have played? :v:

Whatever one his dad left him.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

They aren't perfect but the creature designs and effects are del Toro at his best.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

le cercueil enflammé

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I remember an old effort post about how Japanese rule in Manchuria worked hand in glove with organized crime and now all I want is a Yakuza prequel set there in the 30s.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I'm sure there are things out there that gaming could potentially uncover, but making a scenario flexible enough to allow creativity but not be outright abusable is going to be really really hard.

Dubiously relevant sports analogy- the average Madden player makes the right decision to go for it on fourth and short. The average NFL coach does not.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Squalid posted:

You know, I agree this style looks kind of weird at first. However this kind of style is really interesting in terms of art history, because it appears at a really interesting moment at which traditional Chinese court painting traditions began to fuze with then modern European techniques. The results follow the Chinese style of ink on silk scrolls with flat tonal variation, but incorporate European innovations in perspective and and heretofore unseen attention to anatomical detail.

This fusion is best illustrated through the work of Giuseppe Castiglione, a Jesuit missionary to China and court painter during the reign of the Yongzheng Emperor. You can admire some of his work done in tradition European style here: unfortunately I couldn't find a linkable image file. You can see he was a master of the European tradition, however most of his production in China adheres more closely to conservative tastes:

Qianlong Emperor hunting

However in his portraits of the emperor's household you can really see the fusion of styles to its best effect. Although he maintains the suble, almost washed out tones of traditional Chinese portraiture, look at how he works the subtle shading into the shadow of his subjects legs, the careful attention to lighting previously unseen in Chinese art.

Following this European influence you also start seeing Chinese art begin to incorporate one and two point perspective. However you can tell the Chinese consumer hadn't entirely lost their taste for linear perspective, as a lot of work continues to use those styles. In his famous paining A Hundred Steeds Castiglione employs combines these techniques to create what I think is a pretty stunning achievement that incorporates the best of east and west.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/A_Hundred_Steeds.jpg (linked because gigantic)

this is very cool

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

He's very workmanlike but perfectly acceptable reads. He usually has notes at the end of each book about what was accurate, what was changed, and what was made up entirely.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Point of order, neither Austria nor Czechoslovakia existed any more at this point in time. :colbert:

I picked up an atlas published ~1942 with a big note on the first page saying listen we're just gonna show 1935 borders until we see how this all shakes out.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

i liked the book, i hated the stanford prison experiment and i believe it was a sham. it's a shame such a good book relies on such a terrible "study," and it's a shame that study was used as it was elsewhere

I wonder how many papers out there hit all of Stanford, Milgram, and SLA Marshall.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Edit: To be clear, I hate the book in question with a passion for the reasons listed. He also said that money was only invented to pay soldiers (what use the soldiers had for it is left up to the reader to imagine).

I've heard this theory elsewhere and it's not entirely insane. Basically you're some Sumerian God-King, the economy runs on grain based barter with gold and silver used only for high level exchanges in the temples and palaces. You've just started keeping a standing army. You now have to requisition grain from the farmers to feed the soldiers, so you've got silos, quartermasters, scribes keeping of it all, and generally a big hassle. Instead, some clever priest comes up with a scheme where you give a coin worth about a sack of grain to each soldier, and require so many coins per year from each farmer roughly equal to what you were previously claiming in grain. The soldiers now trade the coins directly to the farmers and you've vastly reduced the amount of grain you as God-king have been responsible for schlepping from the ziggurat to the barracks. Then farmers and soldiers start trading coins among themselves for whatever else they want and the money economy is born.

The implication that should be noted is that this theory of the invention of money only makes sense if you put it in the context of creating government debt and a subsequent tax obligation, Modern Monetary Theory basically.

Of course the soldiers soon realize coins can also be traded for alcohol and are easy to wager in games of chance.

e: it's an as far as I know unconfirmed just-so story so I'm not going to argue too hard for it, but it's not naked lost peasant level absurd.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 10, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's not really concrete evidence as to exactly how the first currency developed. Tokens demarcating value were just one of the intermediary steps in the development of currency, and it's definitely plausible that the thing that got governments to issue uniform currency to be accepted for everybody's transactions would be to pay an army, which in the army's downtime or retirement would get traded around.

Probably the barter system as it is imagined before the existence of currency is a myth. Pure barter has only been observed to happen in edge cases where the parties involved would probably never see eachother again.

Exactly, individuals weren't actually trading bags of grain on a daily basis, theyd have tabs and IOUs and verbal contracts, so the question isn't "when did money as an abstract unit of account tied to a commodity start", it's "when and why did a fungible, standardized physical token start getting used to represent that", and the government paying soldiers is a reasonable hypothesis.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If you knock the dicks off the statues you should be banished from the polis, imo

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

Pretty cool.

Combining this with the current topic of dumb nazis:
Why didn't the nazis use steam trucks/tractors in ww2? They had lots of coal, and so little oil that they had to use a lot of horses.
Is it just that they weren't considered cool?

Because you can instead use the Fischer-Tropsch process to turn that coal into liquid fuel.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Molentik posted:

Later in the war they used a lot of wood gas generators for non-combat and rear echelon vehicles.

Yep, my grandfather drove one.

A few years back North Korea was in the news for doing the same thing to keep their vehicles going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I recall reading Vietnam-era stories about grenades modified with near instant fuses specifically for use in making booby traps, and the subsequent inevitable mixup with a regular grenade.