Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The answer is usually "Xenophon." :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Splode posted:

Is it the panther or the tiger that's gears break before it runs out of fuel. I can never remember.

During WW2, I've seen a lot of off hand mentions of enemy equipment being captured and used. How did the various belligerents go about this? Specifically, how did they avoid friendly fire incidents? Were there a bunch of panzer IVs with red stars painted on them?

This is some Harry Turtledove looking poo poo right here...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've seen a few references to tank destroyers. Did I miss some sort of tank vs. tank destroyer pissing contest in the last thread?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Careful, some posters here have PTSD regarding that.

I'm afraid I skipped... 20,000 posts.

Maybe we can talk about something less controversial. What's the oldest mobile equipment still in use by the U.S. military, even if it's just the chassis supporting more modern hardware?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably the venerable m2 machine gun

Well technically the USS Constitution.

Oh sorry I meant vehicular, wheels, wings, tracks, you name it. Ma Deuce should be renamed to Great Grandma Deuce by now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This might be too hard to answer but I'm curious about the weight of equipment infantry have had to carry throughout the ages. When I see modern soldiers they appear to be festooned with equipment, packs, bags, bandoliers, pouches... it looks overwhelming.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Holy poo poo that last image looks like an entire military surplus store. :stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well are taller and much better fed than the guys from a few centuries ago were thanks to modern convenience.

All you need is your weapon and some emergency cheese under your hat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Phanatic posted:

6.5mm Grendel

Sounds like something William Gibson would make up. It's astounding how many different calibers there have been, just in handguns alone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

What's with the funky dual hull gun? I've never seen that before.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the 1950s my Dad was in the reserves as a tanker and although he can't recall which model Sherman he used he sure had a good time with them. The firing range had hulks of mostly German tanks that were brought over after WWII so he could pretend he was duking it out with the Nazis.

Also he's mostly deaf now. :corsair:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Can someone talk a little about the change from rifled to smooth? I always thought the rifling was to give stability through spinning. Are the rounds themselves stabilizing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Guys I don't know if you noticed this but July 1916 was a loving terrible month for a shitload of people

100 Years Ago

31 July:...and then the month ends on the most appropriate send-off I can think of, a three-exploding-horse salute.

Remind me to always turn down the position of "horse holder." :gonk: