Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tank destroyers, what's up with that!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Splode posted:

The fact that you said this about the Sherman and not the T-34 is why you're going straight to the gulag when the revolution comes, comrade.

if Stalin is any indication you probably get sent there with him anyway

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

You know what grinds my gears? When people make internet arguments about weapon effectiveness based on 9th grade, ke=1/2mv^2 physics.

this, but when people use a flat featureless plain as a default in theoretical engagements

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

After one month of camping in Oklahoma i have managed to read most of Dreadnought (most I had to skip some of the later sudden biography chapters. theres only 5 chapters left, no i dont give a gently caress about baron von fuckboi, diplomatic minister. go back to talking about ships dammit!)

Jackie Fisher is amazing. He so... spazzy compared to what you would expect from a british admiral.

I like the park where he paces around with a sign on his neck that says GIVE ME WORK :saddowns:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

The Lakota were badass horse archers who got high off of sweat lodges, sage incense, exhaustion, food and sleep deprivation with bonus blood sacrifice (sun dance) because they didn't have alcohol or other intoxicants. They ain't about no pussy pike-and-shot gout-ridden drunkard European warfare.

I was actually chatting with HEY GAL earlier and looked up the Lakota for "gun," it's mázawakȟáŋ which is a compound of metal + powerful.

In another lifetime I'd have studied Native American history and the frontier conflicts :unsmith:

whats stopping you? A library card and an amazon wishlist can take you a long way.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tias posted:

If you were born on a reservation, how are you not a Lakota?

And yes, I guess I came off a bit hot before, sorry about that. I don't reckon myself any kind of medicine man or even very knowledgable about that sort of spirituality, though I do go to yearly retreats where I learn from an ordained medicine man who was taught by the Lakota. He has gotten a lot of flak for taking a month off teaching Danish people, but last we heard was that they blessed the endeavour, because they had themselves seen the reason of teaching people who respect the ways.

At any rate, I don't think being a neo-pagan makes me better at history, because, let's face it, we're reconstructing some very old beliefs with a bare minimum of sources.

My experience in reservations is from Washington, so it might differ from how the Lakota do things, but tribes often have hire people from outside for specialized tasks (fisheries management for example) and can set them up in a place to live if there in a really remote area

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As if the morning artillery barrage won't do that for you for free!

If the morning barrage is landing that close to your latrines your probably about to be in a world of poo poo anyway :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

This just reminds me of when the Denver airport put a bunch of New World Order poo poo on their website for april fools day

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

wikipedia can suck my drat balls

i don't know anything about gallas

fun fact if hegal used their research to change a wikipedia article it would be reverted due to being original research.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it not even like sitting on a horse with a saddle is hard, just use your thighs jesus

how fat/anemic is this dweeb

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Does your war have proto-communists? No? Well then your early modern war ain't poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kuru makes for poor marksmanship tho

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nenonen posted:

You should be mostly fine as long as you don't eat brain?

Whats the point of cannibalism if you leave out the best part?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

"ULFBERT STEEL BLADE FOLDED 1000 TIMES"

"How the gently caress did he even get in here"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I picked up a book that can actually riff on "WW1 Alien invasion:"

poo poo I've Been Reading Lately

I've already read The Luftwaffe over America. It's written by a German aviation expert about the omnishambles of an effort by the Nazis to attack America via airplane. Anyway, it turns out Germany had been sketching out war plans against America for longer than I thought. Here's a German Naval Lt. writing in 1897:

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the German planning office when the Spanish American war kicks off and they suddenly realize that America actually had actually gotten a pretty good navy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

but how does it taste

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Comstar posted:

Why don't their chin straps, actually go under their chins?
i'm the guy on the left with the strap stuck in my mouth

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The liquid methane bombs sound like a great follow up to firebombing

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I really want to meet the guys who designed mechanical fire control computers. I can't even look at the plans without feeling like I'm stareing at the necronomicon , I can't even imagine thinking one up

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

The math and theory I get, it's the actually implementing it all mechanically that blows my mind.

so many gears holy gently caress how do they keep them all straight

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Those african warlords as well

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Koramei posted:

central asians don't need to imitate cossacks for when they want historical bling, they have enough of that on their own

Yeah imitating cossaks sounds like a downgrade when you come from a region that's well known for burning down empires for the glory of Tengri

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My favorite is the contigency plan on what to do if the girl scouts turn into a domestic terrorist organization

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

quit doxxing me

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A bunch of the devs post on the forums too, mostly in the paradox General thread or in the thread for whatever game they worked on

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

:flashfap:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

E:wrong thread

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 1, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Silk inlaid silver laced dancing pumps? what the gently caress!?"

Invoice for one (1) Embroidered codpiece, velvet

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Many speak of Abraham the emancipator and the agent of his will, the Sure-man; who laid the legendary city of Atlanta to waste , scattering it's ruin across the ocean.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Last 30 minutes of that movie would have been 2 armies staring eachother down.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's a very admirable name :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if they write their name in all caps does it make them Electors?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

to be fair I feel like any decent biography will have you go "wow what an rear end in a top hat" multiple times throughout the book, but douggy stands out.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol @ you guys assuming trump know anything about them other than WW2 general and looks manly

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A fun game beats a 100% accurate one.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

It's dumb as hell and flat compared to the bad company games that came before it (420 invade a neutral country for mercenary gold erry day)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Have you read Grants biography? It has strategy, reminiscing, and bitching about lost causers 130 years before it was popular.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

is the new russian tank a good tank or is this all hysteria from officers who want more funding

pretty sure its hysteria. I suspect russia is at the point where the hosed internal economics are screwing their military in a way no amount of spending can fix

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A bit unfair, he was legit talented at building and organizing an army in a way the confederates couldn't.

Its just that he would have been better off in a post that focused on that rather than overall decision making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DiHK posted:

He could have taken Richmond and forced an early end to the war but instead chose not to spend the lives of his own soldiers to do so. It would have been a bloody mess for sure but I think the rest of the war was a bloodier mess.

But I'm from Mississippi, so uhhhh, THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

Oh yeah, he deserves all the poo poo thats given to him in terms of not being aggressive enough, but to make him blatantly incompetent like many do is flat out wrong.