Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

every single country in Europe, looking at what's going on: "boy, getting sucked into this is a fantastic idea that can in no way go wrong! let's go to war"
fifteen minutes later: :mrwhite:

Not every country :britain: One of James the First's smarter moves in the shorter term was ignoring the Puritans and not getting involved right at the start, even though his son in law getting the boot was what kicked off the whole thing. In the longer term, of course, that's one of the things that got us stoked up for our babby version a few decades later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

Feudal ties and old ways of calling up armies are definitely a thing. I now think there's more continuity between the late middle ages and the early modern period than I used to. But this is complicated by the part where all these guys are reading stories about the middle ages, almost as much as they will in the 19th century.

Fun English Civil War version of this is when Charles I first gathered his army for the English Civil War, he used a two century old method of doing it -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_of_array

Of course he kind of had to, since the modern way of raising an army was with an Act of Parliament, and Parliament is exactly who he intended to attack with his army. See also stuff like relying on ship money before the war since he couldn't have Parliament legislate him some taxes - having old fashioned but still legal stuff like this on the books was the only way he could even claim to be acting in a normal, constitutional (as far as that's a thing in England) way. It does kind of make me wonder what old laws would be busted out if something like that happened again now, but hopefully even Brexit won't wreck the country that badly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably the venerable m2 machine gun

Well technically the USS Constitution.

Royal Navy still got you beat - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victory

(Granted, your one still floats, which is pretty awesome)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well perhaps these images will give you at least help, these photos depict what the average English/British soldier had on them through the last couple of centuries:

Uh while the Wars of the Roses were a English civil war, normally when people say that they mean the one below it :shobon:

Edit: also, 'Helmland province'? Where absolutely everyone has to dress like a knight, presumably.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 3, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Spiderfist Island posted:

I meant pre-machine-based / pre-industrial revolution production methods, my apologies. I know that in Britain and elsewhere in Europe the Industrial Revolution was going on or just starting, but I'm only familiar with that from how it affected commercial / textile industries.

Pre-machine-based and pre-mass-production are two different things, though. You don't need machines to get a whole bunch of people in a shed making e.g. gun stocks from a common pattern, and you get stuff like http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/Brown_Bess where there's a 'master copy' of the musket stored somewhere and anyone who wants to make them for the military goes to look at it, takes measurements and makes sure to produce something as close to it as possible.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you new to the concept of rhetoric?

Cause it's a thing.

I'm not sure it's so much rhetoric as being kind of dickish to pull the 'let me google this' thing to a presumably Lakota guy talking about the Lakota language in good faith. If it were Keldoclock or :agesilaus:, sure.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comstar posted:

Dunkink teaser

I, uhh, think your autocorrect is showing. Unless it literally is 'hot squaddies getting rammed up the rowboat by studly Stukas' :quagmire:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lenoon posted:

Anyone got any ideas as to the accuracy of Atonement's fantastic long tracking shot of the Dunkirk evacuation?

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

I somehow doubt they'd actually be running the Ferris wheel.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Much less mud/snow/sand/other places that tanks ate expected to operate.

gently caress, how many are you gonna be able to airlift per plane? Or y'all just going to kick back and wait for sealift?

Aren't tanks usually transported by sea anyway? Hence the effort to produce lighter things like the Stryker. I mean, you can transport MBTs by air, but not very many at a time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Koramei posted:

i hope the official military term for them is still dragoons

Sure is!

http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/regiments/26872.aspx
http://www.army.mod.uk/armoured/regiments/26876.aspx

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

Do they basically have a guy with a sniper rifle sitting watching spots like that all day, in case someone's head appears?

You can probably fix the rifle in place, so all you need to do is walk up and pull the trigger.

Edit: For two more years, yes :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comstar posted:

Why hasn't someone made THAT into a movie.

Not enough Americans in it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

spectralent posted:

Of course, there's plenty of reasons why they wouldn't; not wanting to sit still, for instance, or they could just have panicked and forgotten, which sounds entirely plausible.

Likely, even. How likely is it that a tanker at the time would remember the minutiae of Tiger I versus Tiger II side armour in a situation like that, even if they realised it was a Tiger II and not a I, as opposed to thinking 'we've got one shot at this we've gotta make it a rear shot or we might be toast'. Not to mention this isn't binary, it's not like it's 100% certain a side shot would work on a I, just more likely, so even then hitting it on the rear is more of a sure thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeC posted:

Heavy tanks were not really prevalent amongst the allies

Friendly reminder that the Soviet Union was also 'the Allies' :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

; Oswin Creighton (Marlborough College & Keble College, Oxford) complains that his officers are just too toffee-nosed even for him

I will note that as Oxford colleges go Keble is historically quite proley. It's built out of bricks for heaven's sake, and it had only been around for half a century at that point! Proper, gentleman's colleges at least pre-date the existence of the United States.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lenoon posted:

Keble grad spotted.

edit: You're all richer than Cambridge, which is clearly the proletarian part of oxbridge

New College, actually, which Oxford being Oxford is over 600 years old :colbert:

(Still not a toff)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

While at the same time, multiple countries have what are essentially light tanks in wheeled configuration, particularly to support airborne or expeditionary forces.

The Germans have an honest to God tankette in the Wiesel.

Light tanks have never gone away for recce, see also the Scorpion and M3.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 10, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I might be able to help; what's less flashy: flying boats or Torpedo bomber biplanes?

You can have both - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_CT

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've heard some aspersions cast about that British heavy metal manufacturing was frequently hamstrung by union rules, to the point that the workers making the tanks thought that the very concepts of casting and welding was some sort of fiendish capitalist attempt to unemploy riveters.

Hmm. My granddad was a welder's mate in World War 2 (and manned AA guns in his free time), so it's certainly not like the concept was unknown. Granted, he was building ships not tanks. In general I'd be very surprised if 'union rules' would be an issue for something like that in wartime, both because patriotism on the part of the workers and because the government wouldn't gently caress around with unions disrupting the war effort.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Panzeh posted:

The 'balanced' tank of the interwar years was the T-26 which had neither armor nor speed nor reliability, just a pretty good gun in the later variants.

If I recall it beat the poo poo out of everything else in the Spanish Civil War.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Panzeh posted:

It performed well mostly because it had an actual anti-tank gun as its main armament.

My point is that by mid-30s standards it was also decently armoured, reasonably fast and reasonably reliable. It was, in fact, a balanced tank for its time period, not just a glass cannon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't really have beef with the infantry tanks, HE shells notwithstanding.

Cruisers though, were just so stupid from the beginning. In 1939 a British armored division has only 2 battalions of infantry, attached to the "Special Group" with AA and artillery. Then a cruiser tank brigade, and an infantry tank brigade, neither with any organic infantry. Like, what?

I would expect the infantry tanks at least to be penny-packeted among the infantry operationally, not operating as a group on their own, I mean that's what they were for. That's not totally out of left field, you see artillery being treated that way as well for example.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Finnish infantry brigades are supposed to use tractors, trucks and buses for strategic mobility though.

So I'm envisioning a unit mounted on frigging John Deeres, 18 wheelers and yellow schoolbuses going into action. Is, uh, that really what they do? It seems a bit...rustic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't think we had any actual star forts over here, I know some of the castles were updated, the Tower of London is surprisingly modern in its outer works and Stirling Castle shows some definite gunnery modifications but do we have any actual purpose built star forts?

You may remember we had a bit of a barney back in the 17th century, when star forts were the in thing. Given they were mostly built with earth not stone they're not necessarily obvious - it's just a funny shaped hill at this point - but there are still quite a few around.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It also doesn't help that the US has to worry about half naked burned up little girls running past a news crew. I'm pretty sure no one besides us who is actually in the habit of projecting force internationally gives two solid fucks about the media the way we do.

I'm pretty sure both the UK and France also worry about such things.

Edit: France is all about the realpolitik, sure, but half naked burned up little girls in the 21st century? Nah, not if they can help it. They're not going to be Russia levels of 'we don't give a gently caress'.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 16, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The castle features, I think, in Arthurian legend, so it's a bloody old one too. Some bugger decided to pre-empt Britain's relationship with Spain by a thousand years.

Except Arthurian legend is mostly a lot newer than you think, of course...it's mostly a mediaeval invention.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Disinterested posted:

And to hammer home this point about states, if Victorian England doesn't have a state just what does it have?

Do you mean the Victorian United Kingdom? :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chillyrabbit posted:

I liked it as a simple feel good for :patriot: story.

I disliked it as leaning way too much on the :patriot: 'all those ignorant 17th century Europeans needed were Good Old American Values And Civilisation', but then I'm a European.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The example I like to give of this is the subset of pre- ACW abolitionists who thought that blacks were still intellectually inferior to whites

For values of subset equal to 'virtually all of them, at least the white guys', sadly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

A few months after World War II ended?

Some of the more fire-breathing anti-communists pretty much wanted to segue into World War III from World War 2 by immediately attacking the Soviet Union. Hell, in the dying days of the Reich that was the last hope of the Nazis, that the Western Allies would team up with them to kill off the Soviets.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's hard to overestimate the kick in the pants that nuclear development got due to a multi-continent war consuming the world.

Also, without WW2 you don't get the obvious split between two superpowers that leads to that military investment continuing on through the cold war.

Hmm, I'm curious what happens to the British and French Empires, though. As-is, given both were flat broke after the war while the US had built up a massive military, and because both new superpowers were not big fans of (overt) imperialism, it became obviously fairly quickly that that stuff was over. Otherwise, well, India goes to some sort of Dominion status regardless if I recall, but things could get real ugly in Africa with Britain and France trying to hang on, the Soviet Union probably stirring trouble, and the US largely not giving a poo poo about anything other than the Western Hemisphere.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Koramei posted:

Decolonization probably wouldn't have happened if the European colonial powers weren't crippled by two world wars would it?

If I recall, India, jewel of the Empire, was already due for at least semi independence before World War 2. Axe the first one as well and maybe not, though.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

14 August: The Australians are still slogging slowly downhill towards Mouquet Farm; General Haig continues his Ineffectual Burblings 1916 tour; Lt-Col Neil Tennant leads his first air raid; Max Plowman gets shot at; Herbert Sulzbach is still a lazy slacker; Maximilian Mugge is still restraining his rage.

'I do wish I knew what that Greek word was.' - umm, you could post it in here; more than one person in this thread has at least some Classical Greek afaik. :hist101:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

he knows what machines are, the real problem would be getting him to use them like cav instead of like artillery, which in the Imperial army of the time was large and stationary. spin it as "everyone can drive a carriage with a large gun on it now" and less like "cannon that take themselves to the field" and we're good

Or point him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_wagon which would be his closest point of reference.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also cost cutting measures that didn't turn out well. Cutting down m91 Carcanos to make m91/24 carbines is the funniest gun example. Turns out lopping off the end of a rifle with progressive rifling yields poor results!

Edit: that said a lot of inter war militaries were cash starved. I don't know if Italy just got it worse or what. Does anyone know if Mussolinis govt monkeyed with the officer corps or anything?

I suspect Italy got it better than a lot of militaries in the early 30s, before Hitler was starting to look a threat - if you look at e.g. the US military of the time it's tiny and technically not even allowed to spend money on tanks at all. Their real problem is they re-armed too soon compared to everyone else; if World War 2 had happened in like 1935 they'd be in better shape, but they entered the war with most of their gear being obsolescent.

That said, Italy was still too poor and unindustrialised country to do what Mussolini was trying to do with it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't have anywhere else to say this but here goes:

The Latin word for "restorer" is "Redditor"

:tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. You don't generally see double-d's in Latin (:quagmire:), and redeo is more like 'I come back' in any case :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, I'm getting this from a book I'm reading, which translates redditor lvcis aeternae as "The restorer of eternal light".

Nah you're quite right, I stand corrected - http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aalphabetic+letter%3DR%3Aentry+group%3D8%3Aentry%3Dreddo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

the JJ posted:

Wait the what now? Jews had lived in North Africa for basically ever, the enmity didn't really kick off until the whole post-war Israel issue, which was decidedly not a thing in the 1940's.

That's not entirely true (assuming we're talking about Arab/Israeli issues in general). There was an Arab revolt in the 30s in Palestine, and Jews largely backed the British government against them. Check out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bloody_Day_in_Jaffa

for example.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 2, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

lenoon posted:

Universal (male only) franchise? The dissolution of the power of the Lords and King? Set term parliaments? Abolition of Conscription? Religious tolerance? Equality under the Law?

Seems like the Levellers had it right on the money.

Why do you hate the Suffragettes :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheerfullydrab posted:

US Netflix just got Our World War. It's a British miniseries about WWI from 2014 with three hour long episodes. The first is about the beginning of the war and Mons, the second about pals battalions and the Somme, the third is about tanks and Amiens.

I haven't watched it since 2014, but I'm definitely going to rewatch when I get a chance. From what I remember, it's good. I also remember a lot of really annoying *my immersion!* whining on one of these forums about how they used recent music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_World_War_(TV_series)

It is pretty good, yeah. The tank one has a crew from Levenshulme which really weirded me out since it's a tiny bit of Manchester that I used to live in myself a few years ago.