Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

P-Mack posted:

Would it be fair to say that the invasion of France, and Russia for that matter, depended heavily on the defenders making a poo poo ton of mistakes, large and small? I just get the impression that gay black Hitler is really facing an uphill fight just to reproduce Germany's historical performance, let alone do that and also add that one weird trick wehraboos think would win the war.

It seems like, on the macro scale, the side that eventually lost started out with less resources, spent them at a pretty commensurate rate to the side that eventually won, finally ran out, and had to surrender. The whole thing was in one sense a bet that their enemies wouldn't want to spend all those lives, all that money, all that material, so soon after the last insanely devastating war. This is all with the benefit of hindsight though of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Disinterested posted:

Absolutely 100% agree. I think it has to come from the realization that if you'd been brought up in the same way as your subjects, however alien or abhorrent their behavior may seem, you'd likely be no different.

Yeah. I feel like it's important to understand that people have essentially similar faculties, feelings, and needs, and there are different cultural programs for dealing with those. I'd go further than just "this is how they were brought up" i'd say it's because all their/our attitudes and practices taken together (sort of, imperfectly, temporarily, under the circumstances) make sense and work as a way to organize a group of humans.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Modern loanwords might use Kh instead of G, but for existing ones it's still very much G: Gitler, Gollandia, Goplit, etc.

Gitler sounds like the world's worst-named racehorse.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Hardcore History transcript generated by predictive text:

excerpt posted:

There’s another famous incident where Lenin said, quote, “Everything is happening and it’s so horrible and greasy and I often think about how many things are happening right now in history.” End quote.

http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/153158660124/hardcore-history-segment-written-using-a

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

That's an amazing picture but i cant look at it without trying to figure out the perspective on the middle section til my head hurts. Is the crowd receding under the arches like, painted on the floor, or what's going on there.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wounded definitely got killed on the battlefield on the regular but it was more a side effect of the absolute massive amount of looting that occurred by whichever side held the field after the battle ended.

chitoryu12 posted:

In these times, you were also at huge risk for infection because medical science really didn't exist. If you got left behind injured on a battlefield, good luck surviving even if you managed to limp back home.

What's that Pappenheim (?) anecdote where he wakes up after a battle with his skull cracked open, and his own guys are gonna kill him for his pants until they realize he's their commander? I don't know how much medical care contributed to his survival, but even if it was a crap shoot that he didnt get a deadly brain infection it was probably better than nothing.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Polyakov posted:

These units are also where the infamous plastic “Keys to Heaven” appeared and as the war went on would start taking children as young as 14 into their ranks. An Iraqi officer who fought on the front lines had the following recollection about coming under attack from the Iranian militias:

“They come on in their hundreds, often walking straight across the minefields, triggering them with their feet … They chant Allahu Akbar and they keep coming, and we keep shooting, sweeping our fifty mills [sic] [machine guns] around like sickles. My men are eighteen, nineteen, just a few years older than these kids. I’ve seen them crying, and at times, the officers have to kick them back to their guns. Once we had Iranian kids on bikes cycling towards us, and my men started laughing, and then these kids started lobbing their hand grenades, and we stopped laughing and starting firing”

Fuuuuuck

These are really interesting but man that's bleak.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

This doesn't make any sense to me though, unless they've started rolling out full body armor kits. Every photo I've ever seen of US soldiers suggests that all the armor is all (sensibly) around the torso, and you're not going to amputate someone's torso.

this is like something KenM would post on a USA Today puff piece about soldiers getting new body armor

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

Samurai used shields just like everyone else, but for them a shield was a big piece of wood you stuck in the ground. Temples frequently complained about looting because their gates made ideal war material and were usually the first thing to go once an army rolled into a region.

HEY GAIL posted:

meanwhile in the west, soldiers break the windows of houses to get at the lead frames

I don't know how accurate anything in Seven Samurai is, but it's the first exposure I had to the idea that anytime the feudal warrior class goes out to do something, they're pillaging everything they can on the way and constantly in some kind of low level conflict with the peasants they're getting it from. There's a scene where the villagers bring them a bunch of slightly used samurai gear, and the samurai are all "we know how you assholes got this" and Mifune says something to the effect of, please keep in mind that these people are constantly being hosed by you, this can't exactly come as a shock

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

i read that as sarcasm, like libliuni was making fun of a US historian trying to brush our history of genocide under the rug

Me too, I thought that was clear and unambiguous

JcDent posted:

I don't think Forrest was just covering his rear end; considering how easy and profitable it must have been to say that The South Did Nothing Wrong back then, he clearly didn't take the easy way out. That is, unless you don't believe that people can change their opinions, or that redemption only comes if they start claiming that they're a piece of poo poo at every possible moment.

The part i object to is where he says "racism is bad, we'll protect you from it" but then goes on to not do that. Wikipedia says he "offered his services" to hunt the Klan in Tennessee, but not that he actually did it. To me there's a distinction between him personally becoming a better man on one hand, and then having already established a really hosed and noxious legacy on the other. And neither of those have any impact on whether he was good at commanding cavalry, which is i think what this conversation was about originally.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

I dunno what the big deal is, this about state rights not rac-
]

I hope they're keeping that somewhere and not just junking it, because it strikes me as dead-rear end indisputable evidence that they considered sovereignty over a territory and white supremacy within that territory to be effectively the same thing, and established the former for the purposes of the latter.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Single Player Prologue Tutorial: Nationalist Chinese against the Japanese in the mid to late thirties.

I had the same idea except you play as some radical commie kid who gets a top secret, eyes-only, tell-no-one-ever mission to blow up a Japanese rail line

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

bewbies posted:

Pretty much everywhere in America was pro-racism, either codified or de facto, for 80-90 years after the Civil War ended. Hanging a bunch of Confederates wasn't going to change that, nor did not hanging them enable it. All it would have done is sown the seeds for a massive insurgency and probably a far more severe backlash against southern blacks.

It still is, de facto. Maybe not pro-racism so much as doing-racism. Most white Americans still live very much apart from black Americans and treat them with a nervous mixture of fear, guilt, and resentment. It exists in different admixtures, it's expressed in different ways, and some of us try to wrestle it down because we feel bad about it, but it doesn't come out all that different and it's so pervasive that it's treated as a given anyway. The laws have changed, but the underlying attitudes and the actual level of segregation are still propping each other up.

As an American looking at documents of the "segregation era" or the "jim crow south" you can instantly recognize the racial tension. You probably see a difference in how proud of it the white people are, how openly they promote it. You see a lot of difference in policy, some in discourse, and not a ton in baseline racial feeling, from either side. And policy always has room for discretion, right? When you hear about a racist incident now it's usually the racism of someone who exercises a ton of discretion in a limited space or situation-- cops, judges, landlords, managers, loan officers, faculty.

Anyway, my guess is, if you're in the Reconstruction-era government, you won't try to solve this problem by hanging CS Army vets or ex-slaveowners, because it's not even what you were fighting them over. You won't try to solve it any other way, either, because you don't want to. In fact, it's not a problem at all, it's what you think is normal, even right, at worst a huge step forward that you won at an enormous price.

Even if you're a time traveling Leninist blogger empowered to kill all the sons of bitches and set the world to rights, as soon as that's done you're gonna start to discover that the economic disasters of racism are, for Some reason, always just a little bigger in scope than the resources you can spend on fixing them...

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm reading Fusiliers atm, and there is something I find interesting - Washington wins a victory where he ambushes some sleeping Hessians and butchers them - this is regarded as good tactics.
Later in the war, the British light infantry do the same to the American troops, and they spin it as a massacre and a ungodly thing to do.
They then turn around and try and do it the the British at Brandywine (IIRC) and get their asses handed to them as soon as the mist clears and the British troops sort themselves out.

In Runaway Horses there's a good part where all these fascist kendo teens are idolizing the League of the Divine Wind and then you find out what the League actually did, which is, they snuck into a fort and stabbed a large amount of dudes to death who were asleep or just waking up, and then they got shot to pieces by the rest of them. I guess there is a certain samurai ethos where making a really messy last stand against an enemy you can't take is good, but like, there's maybe a reason the guys who do that are revered as tragic heroes instead of as people who won and accomplished their goals

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

IMO Jared Diamond is offering not that great of answers to very good questions. "A Short History Of Everybody For The Last 13,000 Years" is an insulting subtitle and oversteps hugely. But he's asking the questions, at least, right? Asking you to consider Western dominance, or you might say white supremacy, as a historical and political movement.

Splode posted:

Europe dominated recently, but now it's the US. The time for global superpowers even being possible is very short, and in that small time Europe is already no longer king.

Sorry to pick on you but here's how it looks if you don't even ask. Europe was on top but America beat it. Never mind where "America" came from or what exactly it is. That's like saying Microsoft is richer than Bill Gates, you know? "Europe," "the West," that's the culturally chauvinistic white guys in sailing ships who invested in world conquest 500 years ago and won big. On one scale, Europe collapses and America rises; on a bigger one, Europe and America do pretty loving great at the expense of everyone else.

This is on a global scale; almost everywhere humans live, it has left a scar of violence and a transformed society & economy. It's not on a scale with Rome or the Ming, it's on a scale with agriculture. The industrial revolution happened inside it. So people know about this from experience, and they deserve a better explanation than the traditional one: "our race / culture is better than yours, so it wins."

And the endgame is unclear in a very scary way. The system is built around the liquidity of bets on its own growth. We've been spending future money since before Ferdinand and Isabella signed the loan. It's hard to think critically about this because even our ways of thinking have grown up inside of it. Even in our wildest fantasies we can't imagine a future without either strip mines on Mars or like, gangs of cannibals.

Does Diamond have any answers though? GG&S is basically, "Everything happened because of everything that happened right before it." He may as well have called it Cattle, Longitude, & Barley; everything worth talking about is deterministic, all the way back to the tectonic plates. Is that an argument or some kind of zen koan about historiography? "This method of inquiry produces results typical of itself." That's one way to make your thesis airtight i guess.

Collapse and The World Until Yesterday constitute a plea not to do the stuff that they predict we will do, and use specific versions of the past as microcosms of the future, which both seem intellectually sloppy to me. If ideology counts, if values matter, if it's "entirely in our power" to change course, why wasn't the same true for Columbus? ("because we're both living off the mortgages our bosses took out on not changing course," i'd argue, but that's kind of a more depressing version of the same tautology, so I hope it's wrong)

Anyway. Big questions!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

now we know where porsche got his ideas from

There but for the grace of god go we, the bright young things of the jokes.com history thread and our brethren in the gay black napoleonic peace army