Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Milo and POTUS posted:

I know cloaks were used for festivities at times way back in the day but I might have been thinking more muay thai wraps for the rope thing. It seems like something you could probably wrap around your forearm from wrist to elbow, might help with an errant slash or something.

It will interfere with your ability to use that arm and you don't really want to try to block a sabre with your arm even if it is covered in ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Well, looking at the earlier example of musket balls braided into your hair. Lead is a terrible material for armour, it's soft and very heavy and spheres aren't a great shape either. If we take the same weight of steel and make a light mail coif (using thin wire and wide rings to keep weight down) then you've got something that is substantially more protective, sits more evenly on the head, and which can be taken off.

Edit: I'm overcomplicating this. Essentially my question boils down to: people who don't want to be hit with swords used to wear specifically constructed items made of iron, treated leather etc. In the era we now discuss some people have decided that they don't really care about swords any more since they'll probably get shot, and wear no armour. Some other people in this era still don't want to be hit with swords - what has changed that they now favour using multi-purpose items to prevent this rather than purpose-built items?

you're putting four musket (probably carbine) balls at the end of four braids the incremental weight is negligible and it's created using found items in the soldier's kit and i really doubt that you are going to make a light mail coif of the same weight. plus steel is loving expensive, and soldiers are inexpensive.

i think you're overestimating the amount of agency that your average hussar has in terms of their equipment

to respond to your edit: 1) cost - there were units that used more armor (cuirassiers in particular) and they were loving expensive as hell, and didn't do most of the jobs of cavalry better 2) size of armies - instead of manufacturing maybe a few thousand of these things, you now have a demand for tens of thousands, maybe more, of these things. that creates a manufacturing challenge in addition to a cost problem. 3) conscription and centralized distribution of uniforms, arms, and equipment 4) weight 5) the risk of being hit by a sword is still a lot lower than in previous wars and is far lower than the risk of being shot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

thie one is from east germany

why do the volkspolizei travel in threes? one can read, one can write, and the last one is there to keep an eye on those intellectuals

I always heard this about Carabinieri

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jesse the body ventura had his issues but i'm 100% on board with that poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

virginia is the worst and i cannot wait until NoVA, as terrible as it is, completely subsumes RoVA and all these faux confederates die

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

virginia openly embraces this connotation, for what it's worth

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh yeah the like, Virginia academic historical community is pretty great

it's just the Virginians

Tredegar Iron Works is a really cool place to check out if you like early industrial revolution stuff and Civil War history

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ask / Tell › Military History Mk. III: Technically it was all illegal

ooo pretty good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what if you just posted better

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s an old SNES game called Pacific Theater of Operations where you periodically have a strategy negotiation minigame in which you compete with the politicians and the European theater commander for strategy goals and resource allocation. It was a neat gimmick that I feel like I never see Grand strategy games do enough.

DCB has this if you play as the Germans

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It is kind of amazing just how horribly the US handled WWI. If they had just stuck out of it and let both sides just grind themselves down to dust then step in for ceasefire talks then Europe would not have become so much kindling for it all to be repeated twenty years later.

[citation needed]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Could you elaborate on that? What exactly were civil war tactics? I've figured it was rank and file shooting until they realised that artillery and trenches would destroy units trying to do that.

Napoleonic except everything can reach further. There was not a lot of tactical innovation in the ACW.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cessna posted:

Edit: Also, let's not forget these guys:

The Zouaves weren't just guys in funny uniforms; before the Elmer Ellsworth toured the states with a drill team that put on shows of "Zouave Drill." This involved some innovative light infantry tactics like fighting in open order, moving at a run instead of a slow march, and shooting from prone positions. While no, not every infantry unit did this and the Zouaves soon disappeared, they DID influence a lot of the tactics used by the infantry later on.

I don't think that some of these are all that valid:
I don't think that trench systems were necessarily all that different from Napoleonic siege works. The scale was a bit larger (due to the scale of armies engaged) but I'm not seeing anything in those trenches that Menno van Coehoorn would not recognize and understand.

Zouaves do not do anything different from a British Napoleonic rifle battalion or a Voltigeur battalion.

I will give you balloons and ironclads, but I'm not fully convinced that either of those are tactical changes, more like technological innovations that led to people doing exactly the same poo poo, only more of it. The ACW was all about better performance within the same concepts. Now your counterbattery fire is a lot more accurate, for example, but people were doing counterbattery fire all the time in the Napoleonic wars with somewhat less success.

If you take a French line infantry battalion from the Napoleonic wars and shove them in to one of the armies at Shiloh, they perform fine (other than from an equipment perspective, but you could train them to use a rifled musket in like, a few hours).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Keep in mind that by 1864, veteran units were fighting in open order all the time. The Napoleonic marching drills were not always a thing. Sure, you could call it just a copy of skirmishing or whatever but there absolutely was tactical innovation during the ACW.

Interesting, I didn't know there was such a shift. Do you have more information on it? I'm curious how different it was from the French pushing forward like a quarter of a corps as open order skirmishers. Was the concentration of force based on open order troops and fire-and-movement rather than mass?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Always an interesting debate about what is new and what is not and the point at which something is truly new. The more I learn the more I go for a gradual evolution of tactics in a semi-linear fashion rather than the various revolutions in military affairs. The French at Jena used open order to pin the Prussian flank but it was not the main effort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Do1p1CWyc

What do you guys think about colorizing old footage like this

that looks awesome

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cessna posted:

Crap, I just made a big, long post and you said it more succinctly.

nah man that was a cool and good post

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The most practical reason is because the D-25 was based on a howitzer that used separate shell and propellant.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Ah, I see. So in a more modern analogue, a wheellock would be something like a self-loading rifles around WWI? Useful and functional, not impossibly expensive individually, but still not suited for mass-production on a military scale?

It’s really hard to make good analogies between pre and protoindustrial goods and mass produced goods

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Phanatic posted:

That said.

Flintlock:

Wheelock:

Ok this is good and correct

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like him, he is no Patrick O’Brien but that’s a pretty high bar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

is it young Uhtred because he is a loving idiot knob in the books

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Pisspiggrandad (aka the twitter leftist who volunteered for the YPG) said in an interview that the Kurds in Syria have entire units of women whose job it was to disarm ISIS mines & other booby traps. His assessment was something like "that looked like it loving sucked, bro".

Isn't he writing about riflemen anyway, who could never fire that fast because the Minie ball hadn't been invented yet?

He's fairly accurate about the Baker being slow to load. Throughout most of the Peninsular books Sharpe has a mixed light company with a small detachment of rifles and mostly muskets. The prequel India books are all smoothbore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I do like that the Canadian army apparently has frigging voltigeurs like it's Napoleonic France -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Voltigeurs_de_Qu%E9bec

tight

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bhumibol is probably not deserving

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Polyakov posted:

I really liked the international spy museum when I went. A nicely put together and engaging set of exhibits about the development of espionage. Admittedly this is getting on for a decade ago when I went but it still looks to be well reviewed.

that poo poo costs money and everything else other than the newseum is free

air and space both the downtown and Udvar Hazy. the national building museum is kind of cool because it's in the building where they kept all the records (for pension purposes) of Civil War Vets. There are some beautiful friezes representing scenes from the war, and the history and logistics of early mass record keeping is pretty interesting.

you're not far from lots of battlefields in particular Manassas (kind of overrun by suburbs) and Antietam, if you have a car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I believe you mean Bull Run.

i actually hate the Union method of naming battles after terrain features

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bewbies posted:

good god people it was a loving joke, i've played hockey my whole life for christs sake

cte is real, it makes you forget les bons gars :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Taerkar posted:

It successfully made itself a separate entity from the rest of his memory while still relying upon the same mental support structure.

:argh: va chier

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I read your post and was like "where on earth would the Germans have a need for a Special Jungle Tank" and then I read the comment and :wtc:

If the Germans were going to send the Japanese armored fighting vehicles why wouldn't they just send the StuG III for starters? and assuming the Germans could send the Japanese heavy equipment (LMAO), CKD ME 262s and Panzerschreks would be far more useful.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

machine guns are the main strongpoints of your defense but what are you proposing, just having a bunch of riflemen hold their dicks in order to.........?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that owns

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol at the idea that stick on eyes are going to damage a statue already exposed to the elements 365 days a year. Just peel them off and soap and water away any residue.

leave em on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there was a whole lot of mining going on from roughly 1905