Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cythereal posted:

Piss poor tank. Now, Sherman vs T-34 for best tank of the war. Discuss.

Churchill :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tias posted:

All cogent points, I'd add that the US forces were not permitted to invade north Vietnam on the ground and rout their main armies and demolish/occupy their production facilities for good (which is what happened in Iraq right away) for political reasons, out of fears that it would start a world war involving China and/or Russia. The NVA had no such compunctions, and often entered south Vietnam, where the terrain permitted ambushes of U.S. forces.

There was also the border with Cambodia, one the U.S. at least had to appear like they respected while the NVA was able to funnel manpower and supplies to the south by breaching it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I imagine in the 30 Years War you just followed the man in the big hat, who reports to the man in the bigger hat, and so on.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Radios are decadent. You should be brave and use your flags like a good tank commander.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

A lot of Fury was teens trying to write the most hosed up and badass poo poo you can think of. Like that one lieutenant shooting himself while on fire. That and some other stuff came off as so ridiculous as to be laughable.

It's Warhammer 40k in World War Two, and if you take it as such, it isn't too bad.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Nenonen posted:

I'm just saddened that Germans never completed the Großkampfwagen. I'm sure it would have changed the course of the war had the army not been stabbed in the back!

I love how the front facing guns can't elevate without smacking into those machine guns.

Endman
May 18, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Realistic Napoleonic Wars movie, main character is awkwardly to the right in the third line of a four man column. You spent most of it looking at the back of or craning to see over the shako of the guy in front barely seeing the enemy through the smoke before being shot to death.

Epilogue, some reinactor does a silly dance in your uniform. Fin.

My real life videogame experiences in your company.

Endman
May 18, 2010

:krad:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jesus that's loving morbid.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Pikemen can't be trusted.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The IFV sits at an uncomfortable medium between transporting infantry and actually fighting because the two roles tend to be mutually exclusive, and the heavy armament these vehicles carry tends to compromise crew/passenger safety with the ammunition they carry.

Imagine I posted the Pentagon Wars video here.

Endman
May 18, 2010

HE shells are a dangerous extravagance and risk damage to local property.

Now the Crocodile is a fine scalpel of a weapon.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Never forget that the first tanks came about because of a project by the Navy to build a land-based weapon for the Army that the Army didn't want :britain:

Is this before or after Jutland? Because I imagine after that the Royal Navy was extremely bored.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

It was a classic Winston Churchill Good Idea in the winter of 1914-15; someone who'd been driving RN armoured cars (don't ask) at First Ypres suggested that a big trench-smashing steamroller might be a thing worth having, they tried to take it to the War Office and got nowhere, Churchill was going "you idiots, this is going to revolutionise warfare" and everyone else was "there goes Winston talking over-dramatic bollocks again :rolleyes: ". So then he set up the Landships Committee on his own authority as First Lord of the Admiralty, using the First Lord's equivalent of petty cash, in an office that was officially registered as being occupied by someone else, to pursue the project in secret. (Because if the War Office had found out, they'd have gone to the Prime Minster and the Chancellor of the Exchequer and told them that Winston was wasting money on another of his crackpot ideas and had it stopped.)

And they still managed to beat the French, who had a three months' head start on an officially-sanctioned project with proper access to all the big munitions manufacturers, and who'd immediately figured out that they were trying to build a tracked fighting vehicle to troll around the battlefield shooting baddies with a big gun, by seven months. You really couldn't make it up if you tried.

The First World War is like every comedy show I love (Yes Minister, Blackadder, etc) all rolled up into one tragic mess. :allears:

Endman
May 18, 2010

What about the Puckle Gun? I want to learn more about the Puckle Gun.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Why would you bother attempting to take a Star Fort anyway? Those things are huge, terrifying obstacles. Just go around.

Endman
May 18, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

now that fort's dudes are behind you

cool

I can see how that might be a pain, but certainly less of a pain than trying to take a Star Fort. And besides, they might be behind you, but you're in their bed with their wife in the town they're not defending because they're sitting in the fort.

Endman
May 18, 2010

darthbob88 posted:

I think I see a fatal error.

Shhh, I may have just noticed the same one. :ssh:

Endman
May 18, 2010

EvanSchenck posted:

I wonder why many successive generations of professional soldiers who actually fought in those centuries never thought of this very obvious "just go round" tactic you've discovered.

It's a pretty basic feature of military strategy. Fortifications don't just make the things inside them more difficult to attack, they control the entire area surrounding them. One of the things inside them, being protected, is a mobile force. You can't destroy that force without reducing the fortifications, and you can't ignore them because they will sortie and interfere with you. For example, your army has to eat, which means foraging or a supply train, probably some combination of the two. Living off the land requires you to disperse men in foraging parties, who are then vulnerable if the enemy sorties from their fortress. Likewise, your supply train is vulnerable to attack. You ignored the star forts, and now your army is starving.

There is also the probability that you may have to fight a pitched battle, and if you left enemy fortifications intact in your rear, while you are engaged with the enemy's main force the garrisons will sortie and hit you from behind. Also a specific issue with the idea of just going around the forts and capturing a city, which is loss of cohesion during pillage. Basically, when you march in your men will want to steal anything they can get their hands on, find booze and get wasted, assault women, fight over loot, booze, and women, and just generally collapse into disorder. You really do not want this to happen with enemy garrisons intact in your rear, because they are in fighting order and your men are not.

Reducing the star forts is very difficult. Not reducing the star forts is fatal.

Consider me educated on why reducing fortifications is so critical. Of course, if you could do so next time without the snide comment at the beginning, that would be even better.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Make the hill your castle!

Something something Verdun

Endman
May 18, 2010

I visited Chester and Caernarfon last year and they were pretty cool. Much preferred Chester, though, seeing as Caernarfon was full of a bunch of Prince of Wales wank that seemed to be rubbing the conquest of Wales in a bit.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lenoon posted:

Caernarfon is the fanciest, most palace-like of the north wales castles. It's fantastic, but all style over brutal substance in my opinion. It's definitely the big one to visit though, and incredible in it's own way. Chester is an excellent squat little thing, and had loads of work done to it to keep it relevant as a defensive stronghold until the Jacobite rebellion I think.

There's definitely a couple of must-visit castles for the medieval history nerd to go and see in England - Chester among them (those paintings!)

Honestly, it may be a cliché, but my favourite of the castles I got to visit on my trip to Britannia was Urquhart. But that could just be the fact it lies next to the most beautiful lake in the world.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Book update: it's October 1941 and there are 20 German battalions currently under the command of a Lieutenant.

It's a pity it's not 1945 or all the rest of the men would be officer cadets too :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sir do you mean to say that Henry VII was not entirely truthful in his accounts of his adversary?

Preposterous!

Endman
May 18, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't be a rascist jerk about anyone who lives on the British Isles.

K thnx.

The English are garbage.

Endman
May 18, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

when will someone talk about the religious radicalization in the white community

And just like that we're back to the 30 Years War.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Spanish Blue division description as recorded in von Bock's diary, given by a subordinate:

The spirit of the 17th century lives.

I feel like the Spanish and the Italians are the ones that really understood war, not the Germans, French or British.

If we take Ernest Hemmingway's A Farewell to Arms as even a little close to accurate, then the Italian soldier was a genius of avoiding death and accumulating as much booze as possible to drink while in dereliction of duty. I feel like this is a much more sensible approach to combat than dying valiantly for one's country.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Elyv posted:

You should read Trin Tragula's ww1 blog and look for stuff referencing Emilio Lussu(you can find that stuff here), there's some serious :catstare: stuff at times.

Emilio Lussu posted:

One night, after drinking without excessive moderation a number of Piedmontese wines, he rode his horse into the officers’ mess, where the colonel was eating. He didn’t utter a single word, but his horse, which seemed to have a perfect knowledge of military hierarchy, proceeded to whinny and prance around the colonel for the longest time.

C'est magnifique, mais c'est ne pas la guerre!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Monocled Falcon posted:

Seriously, they don't take care of their horses? Like how do you assemble a division in 1940s Span without recruiting people that know taking care of animals is important.

This is just after the Spanish Civil War, so many of them may not have originally been in a position to need to tend horses, but were tossed into a scratch division and sent to the Germans as-is.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Did a little reading and while most Spanish Blue Division soldiers were experienced professionals, there's nothing to suggest most of them were capable of tending to animals. Given the slapdash nature of assembling a volunteer force like this, it could very well have been a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, or too many combat veterans in the logistics battalion, as it were.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Or this account is complete bollocks from a disgruntled German.

Endman
May 18, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

it's a stereotype. these guys played to kill.

The Italian Condotierri loving ruled the 15th and 16th centuries.

Endman
May 18, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Can't remember anything interesting re: that.

Italians don't get afraid; they get drunk.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

No. They were the major fighting force in 15th century Italy, yes, but they had no major effect beyond that region. In the 16th century meanwhile, they were certainly effective in their own right and often valuable, but they did not make up the core of the armies that the French, Germans, and Spanish brought to the Italian Wars.

Don't swing the pendulum too far the other way.

I apologise for my broad generalisation. I was blinded by the magnificence that is Italian fashion of the period.

The Condotierri ruled.... my heart.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I actually struggle to think of a time where it was more fancy to be a soldier than in late-15th/early-16th century italy.

:allears:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

That's Swiss/German fashion, which the Italians probably purloined eventually.

You've shattered my entire worldview.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I'm sorry. Here's a reislaufer to make up for it

I would describe his codpiece as acceptable, but is expression as exceptional.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I find that hard to believe. Careful examination of Germanic art from the late 15th century like Dürer shows a much clearer lineage to the 16th century style that we know. The patterned slashing in particular has always been presented to me as a Swiss innovation, and I haven't been able to find any examples of it in late 15th century Italian art. This Dürer from 1489 already shows slashing at the shoulders
http://duerer.gnm.de/tintenwiki/Drei_Kriegsleute,_Berlin_KuKa,_KdZ_2_Tinte

The Italians seem to have preferred longer tunics and tabards, and high collars as we can see in this piece by Lorenzo Costa the Elder from 1488, depicting Giovanni II Bentivoglio and his family:

http://www.wga.hu/art/c/costa/lorenzo/maggiore/triumph.jpg

There are a few exceptions to these fashion trends, but they are exceptions. Consider this detail from Ghirlandaio's Adoration of the Shepherds http://www.wga.hu/art/g/ghirland/domenico/5sassett/shepherd/shepher3.jpg

Notice that althoug there is someone in a doublet and hose, they are a foot soldier, not a noble, and there is no apparent slashing. Noble clothing in Ghirlandaio is instead in-line with other Italian fashion as we see from this c. 1490 portrait of Francesco Sassetti and His Son

http://www.wga.hu/art/g/ghirland/domenico/7panel/12sasset.jpg

The ostrich feathers also seem to have been a Swiss or German fashion innovation, as almost all the Italian hats I've seen are featherless.

Fantastic post. I'm glad my ignorant rambling has lead to this sort of thing.

Speaking of Italian hats, what was the purpose of the Mazzocchio? (The sausage-like cloth wrap on the top dude's helmet in this picture):

Endman
May 18, 2010

Elyv posted:

why is bottom right guy wearing a hat that is so much bigger than his head that he can't see while it's on

I'm not sure you really need to see when you're swinging a Halberd that massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

From what I've read, Winter wouldn't have been as huge of a problem if it wasn't for Autumn and the prolonged rainy season that turned the already appalling Russian roads into rivers of mud. German logistics became bogged down and ensured the Winter punched Jerry right in his frozen, unprepared testicles.