Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I have a couple of questions about Napoleonics

The big one is about musketry, namely how effective it was and the tactics involved. However, I've lost the site I was going to query some information about right now, so I'll start with the smaller question

How were battles coordinated?
Was it all planned in advance and everyone had to stick to it (like making plans with friends before mobile phones) until they went their own way and took initiative in a situation? Or could things be change in the heat of battle with coordination?
I guess runners with messages but were they sent between Duke This and Duke That?
Or between Duke This and Duke That but via General Whatever for approval?
Or did only the general issue runners with messages during battle to avoid confusion?
Did messengers often get lost?

I appreciate full answers if you have them, and online links you think might be likely if you don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

If you actually manage to reach and climb on a tank, how practical is it to force a hatch open and introduce a grenade? Are they easy to open so the crew can evacuate quickly, or are they very thoroughly locked?

I seem to recall an account of (a Russian? Eastern European?) pouring paint onto a tank to starve the engine of air or something because they'd read about it, and it actually working. I wish I remembered where I saw it. If memory serves they were several floors up and ill-equipped which is why they tried. If anyone has a link I'd appreciate it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Since Charles de Gaulle has been mentioned, I'll post this again: https://youtu.be/_uukBpYD9PU

I posted it before though not in the milhist thread, and at least one person enjoyed it then, so here you go. It's easy to forget de Gaulle existed after WWII. Lyrics in description

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Just popping in to say, if anyone likes Napoleonics and easy-to-read novels, I just finished my first Sharpe book (of Sean Bean teledrama fame), and I really appreciated the author putting in an afterword about the historical context, what was real and what was fiction, and why the fiction is still plausible.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

...not that you'd be biased, given your username!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Is now a good time to post about pigeon-guidance, or is that one of the thread things that's often talked out, like Wojtek?