Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The new thread icon is gonna take me a long time to get used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

why does it have an eagle on it? i thought those were always associated with nobility/ monarchy

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Ensign Expendable posted:

Artillery and man-portable methods of killing tanks have been around for almost as long as tanks themselves. Somehow tanks managed to deal with it.

cavalry and firearms have coexisted and complemented each other for centuries, therefore cavalry will last forever

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

HEY GAL posted:

as far as i can tell there's hell of dragoons in afghanistan, theory checks out

i hope the official military term for them is still dragoons

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Crazycryodude posted:

1) The only (declassified) engagements they've fought have been against 3rd world insurgents who couldn't even detect them much less shoot back
2) It's a lot easier to hide a drone than a tank (at least from a Mk. I Human Eyeball), what with being much smaller and having a third dimension to play with

Is this true? I guess it probably depends a lot on what model of drone it is, but I've heard numerous times that drones are loud as all gently caress (there are plenty of videos out there too), to the point that their noise combined with them loitering in the air for hours, days on end is leading to some serious emotional trauma in affected groups in e.g. the West Bank and western Pakistan.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The Chinese sure did; from a brief glance it didn't look like they touched on this in the article, but the German possessions in China going to the Japanese rather than back to them in the peace of Versailles has been a driving force in Chinese history and anti-western sentiment for the past century, way more important than any of the European ramifications of Chinese labor. Look up the May 4th protests if you're interested.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
that sure is a tank

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I guess my perception is based entirely on anecdote but I really dunno if I agree that cultural similarity of all humans through time/ across cultures etc is an idea that needs discouraging- I've seen Cyrano post this quite a few times so I guess it's something he has to regularly dispel in his students, but I've always figured the general astonishment you hear from an average, not historically inclined person, when they hear about all the penises in Pompeii, or Sumerian fart jokes etc is quite telling. I mean obviously a middle ground understanding would be better, but those are in general apparently impossible for us as a species to grasp. And if we're gonna go for one side of the spectrum I think the one that lets us find common ground with people in history and other cultures (and therefore not dehumanize them) is the better one.

On a personal level I've been dealing with a program for North Korean defectors lately and this is something- "wow, they're human after all, just like me! not just a mindless automaton" that keeps coming back again and again. I imagine the same is true for refugees from the Middle East etc. When you give people cultural touchstones it makes them a lot more willing to engage with, and maybe even befriend, these people that they'd otherwise totally ignore and dismiss.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Fangz posted:

To clarify, I'm not saying it helped the cause of industrialisation to have giant disasters, I am saying though that if you embark on a gigantic program of industrialisation with few experts on hand then mistakes are going to be made.

The only real way to avoid those catastrophes would be to bring in foreign advice and assistance, but for obvious reasons nobody in that time particularly wanted to assist China rising to a position where it could challenge their strength. I don't think that would have been different under Chang, and Chang would have the additional problem of having to fight against rural communist sympathies every step of the way. Comparing to India isn't great, but it's hard to think of any closer comparison.

It wasn't just a lack of experts though, it was literally that during the Great Leap Forward, for how to industrialize (and everything else), what Mao said went. Even if there weren't world beating industrial experts in China at the time, there were plenty of people there who knew what they were doing better than he did. I don't think we have much basis to say the ROC would have done much better for industrializing and modernizing than the PRC eventually did under Deng Xiaoping, but Mao was really a unique kind of awful.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm pretty sure you are, and that "learning by doing" sounds like they're reaching hard to find anything positive to spin. Even in the PRC they don't pretend the Great Leap Forward was a good thing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Decolonization probably wouldn't have happened if the European colonial powers weren't crippled by two world wars would it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Cyrano4747 posted:

(watch that movie, it's amazing in its ridiculousness)

the movie is on netflix & owns

also since someone mentioned Admiral Togo earlier it bears mentioning:

quote:

Admiral Togo regarded Admiral Yi as his superior. At a party held in his honor, Togo took exception to a speech comparing him to Lord Nelson and Yi Sun-sin.

"It may be proper to compare me with Nelson, but not with Korea’s Yi Sun-sin, for he has no equal." (The Imjin War, by Samuel Hawley, pg. 490)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quote:

Whatever happens, we have got

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't think a trained slinger is gonna crack their skull open, but still, one of the main advantages of slings is that they're cheap as poo poo, whereas cavalry were generally a rich man's game. Why would you be sitting there on your gleaming horse with a lovely sling when you could have something cool instead.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
How do you even get service out there in Afghanistan or whatever

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
How deep do (modern) submarines normally go? Are they skirting along just below the surface or going as deep as possible?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Polyakov posted:

lovely as it was the Luftwaffe was far from alone in just strafing roads, a not insignificant amount of bailed out allied pilots were lynched by enraged german civillians, typically condoned or actively instigated by the local nazi officials, this was in a large part because of the fighter pilots who would fly low and strafe the roads of Germany (also because of the massive bombing of the cities). Air forces were generally equally dirty as far as i know in terms of actually fighting (ignoring the luftwaffe ground forces), the only difference was in capability allowing many to kill far more, if an allied airman was found by the Luftwaffe or the Wehrmacht he was usually ok, if he was found by the Volksturm or committed members of the Nazi party he was very often in trouble, theres a quote from an American bomber crew who were shot down:

"Nobody tried very hard to do us harm… they just seemed to stare at us and we at them. The strangest odyssey began next morning, when we began to walk out of Gravensberg down the main street. We walked down the middle of the street, and the civilians on the sidewalk hurled epithets and threats at us, ‘Kaput machen!’, again and again – a frightening litany. We passed a group of nuns, and even they spat at us. We learned later that they really hated the fighter pilots because they came down and shot up anything that moved on the roads and even farm animals in the fields. Our fighter pilots generated a lot of anger and distress, and if they were shot down they were in great jeopardy – the civilians would gang up and beat them mercilessly"

When you say "strafing roads".. it sounds like you mean civilians on the roads? Not just the infrastructure?

Horrible as terror bombing is at least there's some plausible deniability. Actively targeting civilians and cars (presumably with people in them) and stuff seems like it's on a whole different level. I can't say I can blame the civilians for their reaction to captured pilots if that's actually the case.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

unwantedplatypus posted:

So humans have ridden horses, camels, and elephants into combat, as well as occasionally using dogs. What other animals have we used for war? What are the traits which make an animal suitable for use in warfare?

Before domesticated horses were a thing they used oxen for pulling chariots.

No idea whether the chariots filled the same niche the later horse drawn ones did though, I don't see how they could.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
was there ever a codpiece mounted gun?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Speaking of, in 1491 the author mentions that when Europeans showed up in North America the local's bows were actually better weapons than the settler's guns. How true is that? And for that matter, how much do we know about North American bowmaking? Were they better, worse or different than bows in Europe and Asia?

He didn't say they were better (also he did get a bit sensationalist about that stuff imo), just that the settlers were horrible shots, underfed etc so basically not much of a match for the natives. I don't think he was trying to claim if a regiment of Hegel's guys got dropped in the Americas they'd exchange their guns for native selfbows or anything.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Firearms in 1492 had their issues, but it's a moot point, since native American arrows ain't got poo poo on the suits of armor that the spaniards had access to.

it was specifically in reference to the British colonies in the 1600s

Comstar posted:

That sounds...wrong. Obsidian bladed swords maybe, but how good is an obsidian bladed chisel, hammer, axe, pick and shovel, even if you discount armour too?

Then again, I don't know how they cut the stones for their roads, buildings and temples. Copper tools?

They did it all with stone tools, slowly and very laboriously. Speaking of 1491, there's a bit in it where he goes over how Native Americans would have to fell trees with stone axes, and basically what a complete pain in the rear end it was. It takes teams of men days to achieve versus a single guy just a few hours with a steel axe. According to him they valued European steel axes significantly more than any of their weapons.

And bronze working to the point of making sturdy tools and armor and poo poo doesn't just pop up overnight, it took a very long time to develop. Early bronze is trash. Maybe they'd have developed it beyond that eventually but there wasn't the same pressure for it there was in Eurasia (where much of the continent had no easy access to obsidian and the like) since everywhere that had the bronze also had much better alternatives.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

lenoon posted:

I used to study stone tools before conscientious objection

I've cut up pig carcasses by hacking them to pieces with obsidian blades set in wooden hafts, and it does work very very well.

:eyepop: you have lived an interesting life

quote:

These aren't disposable tools for an hour or two of fighting, but can stand up to pretty significant punishment.

One thing I've read repeatedly is that the Aztec obsidian weapons would break extremely quickly against the conquistadors' steel swords though, right? Still before they encountered those they were more than good enough.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah that's something else the author goes over in 1491 (I should probably just find the passage) as another reason the natives stuck with their bows rather than guns, since even if they had them they'd have trouble supplying the things. He wasn't trying to argue that guns were worse- just that in the context, to the natives, bows were a preferable weapon.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

There was Cajamarca, but that was more of a one-sided ambush of Atahualpa and some unarmed guards.

There were a few battles when Cortez first landed that were pretty one sided. I don't think it's terribly controversial to say the conquistadors had superior weaponry, it's just important to emphasize that this wasn't why they succeeded, and that their native allies were far more instrumental.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I also would be interested to see a really thorough study of edge damage on steel and obsidian. The article saying one of their tools lasted a whole hour(!) on softwood, which doesn't fill me with confidence.

I mean I don't think anyone's arguing we should be ditching our steel woodcutting axes for obsidian ones, just that the obsidian is a heck of a lot better than the alternatives that were generally available to them. I would take an axe that I'd have to repair every hour or so but that can actually make its way through a tree in not-multiple-days over one that would be more durable but much more laborious to use. It's also super easy to replace the obsidian right? I remember someone linked a youtube video (in this thread, I think actually) where someone was making the wedges of obsidian and it took him like a or two minute tops for each one.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Nearly every pop history thing like that you get in games or whatever is either wrong or nearly wrong

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I stopped trusting Wikipedia after I found a behind the scenes nationalist edit war on a couple of articles about glass beads.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SlothfulCobra posted:

Has there ever been a conclusive answer to "how much damage will make the enemy surrender?"

yes, the answer is 89.2 damage

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

aphid_licker posted:

All your population being fed by the people you are at war would be a bit embarrassing for a government. Weird situation to imagine. "Here's your can of SPAM, now go out there and Kamikaze those fuckers"

"Look at how brilliant we are, we managed to trick the yankee devils into delivering food for us! Praise to your cunning government."

Pretty sure I said exactly the same thing when that thread's discussion came up the last time but this is, incidentally, pretty much how it goes down in North Korea whenever there's a UN food shipment.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
central asians don't need to imitate cossacks for when they want historical bling, they have enough of that on their own

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

xthetenth posted:

Apparently at least one lurked the section WoT forums where Ensign, a decent number of other cool dudes (and also I) did a bunch of posting about tanks, I saw one dev mention it. I also got a bit of iconoclastic vibe from it in a few other places.

the lead dev also posts on this very forum. i wouldn't be totally surprised if they read this thread from time to time

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
reminder that cheerfullydrab is the guy that thinks it's bad the US got involved in WW2

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

OwlFancier posted:

Yi Sung Sin (can't loving spell his name)

there's about five different ways people romanize Korean so I don't blame you; the "correct" way would be Yi Sun-sin, pronounced sorta like Ee Soon-shin.

just in case that's ever relevant for the future

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Anything during the Gulf Wars, I imagine.

If by battles you just mean one side "outfighting" the other in a fair and clean way then I guess this might be disqualified but the the battle of salsu is the single most lopsided battle I've ever heard of. One of the sides gets lured into a dry riverbed and then has a dam broken on top of them, drowning practically their entire army.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
there are plenty of tfr posters who are full of poo poo too its just they actually get called out there

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
buy his ebook and it's a lot easier to navigate :eng101:

it's like $3

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

my dad posted:

How often do you run into the Soviet or Allied equivalent of wehraboos? Like, people who are so incredibly into a myth about some Soviet tank's/ship's/weapon's quality that they go frothing at the mouth at the mere mention of one of its flaws?

From playing the Wargame series, it seems like you get that about the Soviets all the time.

There's this weird thing with the Soviets in online communities (in my experience) where people go gaga for Nazi stuff and think everything Soviet during WW2 was terrible, but as soon as you transition into the Cold War it flips to Soviet stuff being the best ever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

HEY GAL posted:

wut

are they "bad" or "ijn bad"

at least the ijn actually had ships

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

P-Mack posted:

While we're at it, if anyone is secretly a Donghak rebellion expert please speak up.

Not in the slightest but if you have any particular questions I can probably help out, my Korean is mildly okay and I know a bunch of Koreans who are into history.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I would be very disappointed if modern ship designers didn't make plans in their free time from time to time.

I would be drafting up a rail gun battleship design as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Why are modern warships grey?