Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Empress Theonora posted:

It's more like "the Sherman is literally the only tank I can identify by sight because I'm a WW2 equipment dunce", actually.

edit: are there, like, ww2 tank flashcards or something. i'm kind of embarrassed i can't even tell a t-34 from a....... well, that's the only tank i can name.

There are indeed! During the war, most armies made tank recognition guides so the troops would know what the enemy was using (and also what their allies were using - it wouldn't look good for your troops to shoot at allied tanks because they didn't recognise them) you can download one here (I mean, it only applies to British AFVS circa 1941, but it should give you an idea of what these sort of things looked like).

I like how this guide describes the lend-lease tanks as 'similar' to their American counterparts, as if the British just happened to possess tanks that were identical to ones the US army was using. Because the US is neutral, you see.

There's also this one which looks at what the Japanese were using and how they were using it.[/url]

Obviously these scans are not the best, unfortunately, but hopefully they're a bit helpful. I'm sure EnsignExpendable has links to better guides.

There's also this, but I think it's made by a contemporary Wehraboo, so take some of the descriptions with a pinch of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"The Panzer II's main combat drawback was a poor anti-tank performance" or, you know, the fact that it was obsolete by the time WW2 started, and the armor on it was almost worthless...

His description of the Panther tank makes me assume he was jerking off as he wrote it.

Still he does at least admit the T-34-85 also deserves to be called the best medium tank of WW2. Even if it should share the crown with the Easy Eight and not the Panther.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh, what is happening to the on going stuff still being worked on like the Taiping/Polish Soviet War and a few other mega post projects goons in the last thread were doing? they going to keep going and repost the older stuff when they are done?

I kind of read this as one thing and my brain kind of melted figuring out how that work. A modded game of Civ gone horribly awry?

JcDent posted:

Warlord Games have you covered from Biblical warfare (and earlier) to pikes to WWII and even far future. Near future, too, if you count Judge Dredd.
Id argue Terminator is a better representation of near future. And mid-80s, too! :downsrim:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The problem is that "Best X of WWII" often falls flat or has some individual bias that tarnishes the argument. Do you look at the potential a design had? Do you look at the various strengths and weakness and, if so, which variant(s) do you compare? Do you examine combat reports where only tanks fought eachother, or do you allow air-to-ground reports or combined arms actions?

There's no denying the T-34 is a good/great (Choose one) tank but "Best of X" always bugs me.

Admittedly, I'm weird and a grog so :shrug:
I know Zaloga put out 'Armoured Champion' to finally put a lid on this and made sure to rate everything both from a commander's perspective but also from a tanker's view. I'm sure there'll never be a definitive answer, but I think we can all agree the Panther was overrated.

Has anyone got Rossmum's teardown of the Panther? Also Ensign's teardowns of the Tiger & King Tiger are things of beauty and really are must reads for any tank grog.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Saint Celestine posted:

Bovington has a working Tiger 2 right? I wonder why they weren't able to use it for the movie.

No, they actually took the working engine from their Tiger II to get 131 working.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Trin Tragula posted:

Never forget that the first tanks came about because of a project by the Navy to build a land-based weapon for the Army that the Army didn't want :britain:

It's like an inverse of the F-35.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

One thing I've learned re:tanks is that during WWI they were parked in Tankdromes (also called Tankodromes), which is a word I want to see brought back. Or just the -drome suffix in general, really.

Source: Life in a Tank, by Richard Haigh.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 12, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Yeah pretty much those.

Also Centurion was created from a Cruiser specification, though it either was immediately or became designated an MBT*.

*I don't know which, it's not an era I'm a huge nerd for.

I believe it was ultimately designated as a 'Universal Tank'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ensign Expendable posted:

The core of the Soviet urban assault team was the concept of an assault group. The table of organization for an assault group could vary depending on what unit it was formed by, but the general idea was the same. A few tanks and SPGs would accompany a group of infantry (between two squads and an entire company) along a street. The first echelon consisted of two tanks, driving on opposite sides of the street and keeping an eye on the opposing side's windows. Fire from the tanks' cannons, the roof-mounted heavy machinegun, and small arms of the infantry would clear out snipers and Panzerfaust crews hiding in the upper floors. Fire from the second echelon of tanks was aimed at street level anti-tank measures.

The group also had towed artillery and mortars available to them, usually a 76 mm divisional cannon. For more difficult demolition work, big guns (up to 203 mm) could be requested to fire either indirectly or roll up the street and get close and personal. Satchel charges or tank guns were commonly used to open up new routes around enemy strongholds. Well timed progress of armour meant that Soviet tanks could stop 100-200 meters from the target of a scheduled artillery barrage, help out with their own fire, and then immediately drive into the territory to make as much use as possible of the suppression effect.

The 1st Belorussian Front suggested the following composition of assault groups: "1-2 mounted machinegun units, 1-2 DShK machineguns, 1-2 sapper units, 3-8 flamethrowers, 2-3 chemists with smokescreens and incendiary chemicals, an anti-tank rifle unit, 3-4 guns of all types (45, 76, 122 mm, and sometimes even 152 mm), and 2-3 tanks and SPGs". Regular infantry units fighting in the city were also well supported: "Each infantry battalion was reinforced with a SU-76 battery, a SU-152 battery, a company of sappers, and was supported by one mortar regiment, the division's artillery regiment, which included all the division's mortars, 76 mm and 45 mm guns firing directly from the front lines, one burst from the division's rocket artillery, and howitzer batteries."

Of course, simply barreling down the street with a tank company wasn't always the best way of doing things, as the Germans tended to not play fair and set up complex ambushes or attempt to seep through Soviet front lines and attack the rear. Advance scouts had to uncover their plans and deal with them. One way of doing that was dragging up some rockets into the house across the street and suddenly opening up a hail of hellfire on the unsuspecting Germans.

Of course, eventually, you'd have to get into the building and fight in it. Here's the method for doing that, explained in comic book form! "Assault Group: Advance! A submachinegun around your neck, ten grenades at your disposal, courage in your heart, go!"

"Approach the enemy by hidden ways: trenches, ditches, breaches in the walls and fences. Move while prone. Use craters and ruins, you can hide well here. And then: a brave dash forward.
You will enter a labyrinth of rooms and obstacles, full of danger. Not a problem, a grenade in each corner! Enter the house with a friend: you and your grenade. Both of you should be dressed lightly: you should leave your rucksack behind, the grenade shouldn't have a fragmentation sleeve. The grenade goes in first, you go in after. A burst from your submachinegun at the ceiling remnants, and move on.

Another room, another grenade. Turn, one more grenade! Forward again! The enemy can counterattack. Do not be afraid. The initiative is in your hands. Use your grenades and submachinegun more tenaciously.

Sweep any suspicious corner with your submachinegun. Don't delay!

Blind the enemy in any way you can and strike from the darkness. Stab the confused enemy with your knife or chop them with your shovel."

This would be an awesome video game. Forget rehashes of Enemy at the Gates, let's bust into a house full of Nazis with an SMG and 10 grenades and gently caress poo poo up.

Also I know you clarified what you meant by chemists, but the mental image of screaming Russian men in white coats throwing beakers at the Germans has taken residence in my head and I had to share it.

Tias posted:

So I just finished The Dollops podcast on the Iraqi war, and it was amazing! Entertaining and informative in equal amounts. Do you lot know of any good podcasts about modern/contemporary warfare that are reasonably impartial and well done? I don't like Hardcore History, but in that vein...

If you haven't already, check out the Dollop on the Willie Dee, it is magical. :allears:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 16, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HEY GAL posted:

my subjects, on the other hand, would fit in nowhere else in world history but the early 17th century. except for wallenstein, sadly. Deprivatize yourself and face to Hapsburgs.

edit: and loving dudes was not Fritz's problem. everything else was his problem.

Iunno, seems like they could likely have fit in anywhere where 'have gun/sword/pike (delete as appropriate), will travel' is a valid job description. Probably including Blackwater or whatever they're calling themselves now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What is it with Roosevelts and the navy, anyway?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm not sure if this counts as milhist, but I just this evening encountered a Patton Truther. By which I mean someone who believes that the US killed Patton to stop him from apparently singlehandedly kicking off WWIII.

:psyduck:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did they have an explanation for why MacArthur was allowed to live?

Apparently that was different because reasons. Patton was so beloved they had to kill him, because otherwise the GIs would have followed him into fighting the Soviets no questions asked. Never mind McArthur kicking off WW3 in Korea would actually have been worse since nukes were in play.

chitoryu12 posted:

A few months after World War II ended?

Yeah apparently he was pushing for it. Never mind that a lot of people were not happy with letting the Russians have half of Europe (including Churchill) that nonetheless recognised that another war was A Very Bad Idea. I'm sure he recognised that too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I apologise for poor choice of phrasing. In my defence I was specifically describing the mindset of the guys who wanted to go fight the Russians, not as a statement of my own views.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lenoon posted:

Would have been a big giant shitshow, but however it played out, it would have been politically and militarily, and probably economically, impossible for the Western Allies to contest the USSR's influence in Western Europe. No extension of the war is needed to see that there was bugger all that could be done about it, no matter how hard Churchill bleated.

To be fair even Churchill recognised that.

I didn't mean to start this derail, I just wanted to point out how stupid it is that some people believe that the US would assassinate Patton. I'm so sorry.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

xthetenth posted:

Inversely I really want to give Pappenheim a tank.

I seem to recall someone did one of those meme comics which had someone seeing Guns of the South and going away and writing a book about Sherman (the general) getting Shermans (the tanks).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Raenir Salazar posted:

Prussia versus "Germany" maybe?

Why? Face punching aside he's a good presenter in that and I like his genuine appreciation for military history.

I remember there was an episode of Top Gear where I think they'd just got a new Reasonably Priced Car and Al Murray (a british comedian perhaps best known for his role as The Pub Landlord) was one of the celebrities that came out to drive it, and at one point it cut to the two of them discussing WWII tanks.

Actually Murray did a whole documentary series called Al Murray's Road to Berlin, which was pretty good as I recall.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hunt11 posted:

Can anybody recommend me some good sources on the creation of the clean Werhmacht myth?

Well I can personally recommend The Myth of the Eastern Front as a starting point. It seems the US Army's Centre for Military History also lets you read several of the texts written for the US army by several of the German staff officers, although they're mainly about emphasising their own military prowess rather than total dissociation from the crimes of the Wehrmacht.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HEY GAL posted:

come for the good analysis, stay for the hilariously out of date discussion of computer games

I think it was primarily focusing on the wargame boom of the late 70s/early 80s, not actually video games. Although I'm sure there they would have Strong Opinions on, say, Company of Heroes 2's campaign.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SeanBeansShako posted:

That campaign was garbage,

I want to see a Bobbin Threadbare-style LP where someone takes time out at the end of each mission to explain just exactly why the preceding footage was total bullshit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hm, what's this, a book by an alleged "internationally recognized expert on the Eastern Front"?

Welp.

Edit: he also based the entire thing on loving SS records and just shrugs and goes "there's no way to establish Soviet losses so let's just take the SS claims at face value".

To be fair, Wehraboos know no borders, so technically speaking he could indeed be 'internationally recognized' as an expert. It's just he's only recognized by total morons.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I got The Face of Battle and Castles of Steel for my birthday. :toot: Looking forward to digging in!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chump Farts posted:

Hey all, I'm going for a History MA and in the big leagues now. I'm doing a historiography on how perspectives of the two main armies in WWII changed as time went on and the Russian archives released. My bibliography so far is:
Alan Clark: Barbarossa.
David Glantz's Stalingrad Volume 1.
Michael K Jone:' How the Red Army Triumphed
Heinz Guderian: Panzer Leader
Max Hastings: Inferno
Cornelius Ryan: The Last Battle

I'm ordering Chuikov's "Battle of Stalingrad"
Glantz's Volume 2 for the Stalingrad series
and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer

Any suggestion on other works to include? I'm thinking Manstein and Halder's accounts, but I'm wondering if "Survivors of Stalingrad" by Reinhold Busch or maybe Liddell's books can help out, too.

Books or primary source thoughts would be extremely helpful.

Huh, I did a similar topic for my dissertation. Is 'I'm working on an analyses of the shifting historiography of the Eastern Front' a version of 'do you have stairs in your house' solely for history students/graduates?

I can track down the books I used, but honestly I think you kind of have me beat already.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chump Farts posted:

Thank you for the ideas. I haven't thought about the war crimes angle yet, and I'm sure that is worth looking into, if not in the scope of this paper (20 pages max), then later.

Thank you for the resource! I'm still lacking here, which is why I'm trying to express ship Chuikov's memoirs. I don't know how I'd even begin getting to see the material available from the 1991 archive release other than as it appears in newer works.

Great minds must think alike! I'm hoping there I hit on some interesting themes because I'd like to eventually do my thesis on the topic. I'm fascinated in how myths about the war have permeated into society, but don't know if there is a way for me to track why Combat Mission put "human wave" into the Russian move order or why Enemy at the Gates and Call of Duty One really had to show off the blocking detachments.

Well, I recommend you pick up Smesler & Davies' the Myth of the Eastern Front, it's a very good overview of that sort of thing. I think that part of the reason it permeated is that, other than Lost Causers, the history of the Eastern Front was written by the losers. Do you have PMs? I could maybe track down a copy of my dissertation and send it to you if it might be helpful, but it's an undergrad one, so probably a bit remedial.

Edit:

HEY GAL posted:

read the myth of the eastern front, too
Oh come on, how did I get ninja'ed by a pike wielder?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hunterhr posted:

From pages back but I did this too. :v:

Now I'm feeling left out since I'm the only one of us three without an American Football avatar. Probably because I am a Brit with no interest in sports.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I have a question about US helmet covers in WWII. Specifically if anyone has sources on GIs making their own in Europe. I know that the army experimented with camo uniforms in Europe but they dropped them pretty quickly. I've read stuff about making cloth covers of their own, does anyone have ideas what sort of fabric they would use? Just OD?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Living the Landsknecht dream.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jerry was a titan with jungle cats that attacked on his word, but Tommy fought him off until at the last moment some guy named Joe Sherman came in to help.

John Frum, surely?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Just FYI Osprey are doing a sale on their Duel, Raid and Warrior book series for October (20% off). Anyone got recommendations? I mean everything I've heard is anything by Zaloga is choice. I think I may grab the book on female samurai. It's outside the areas I usually focus on, but it looks interesting. :japan:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've always been sickened by the hypocrisy of the Allies when it comes to submarine warfare in WW2. Unrestricted submarine warfare in the Atlantic after the Laconia Incident was evil, but Day One unrestricted submarine warfare in the Pacific was totally cool because Japanese people don't count. That's an ugly position, only accepted because the Allies were the winners and all the moral gray areas of WW2 get subsumed into "good war" narrative.

Didn't some of the high ranking allied admirals testify in Doenitz' defence at Nuremberg regarding unrestricted submarine warfare, though?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arquinsiel posted:

I recognise that a distinction exists and maybe in some D&D style post-death judgement where a deity adds up your moral points to determine which of the nine alignments you fit into and thus what afterlife you get that slim distinction matters. Really the thought process of both sides of unrestricted warfare boils down to "sure, maybe this ship is full of material and personnel irrelevant to the war... but what if it's not?" so may as well fire torpedoes and hope you never find out you sank the SS. Kitten Transporter.

Look if it was transporting SS Kittens, then they had it coming! :bahgawd:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HEY GAL posted:

a couple samurai travelled to mexico in the 1500s, that was cool

Tell me more.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

3.7 cm Pak

Queue: Renault R35, R35 in German service, Medium Tank T1E1, T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3
M3A1
Combat Car T4

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks
Type 95

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C

Vickers Mk.E, please!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of WWI, what were the Japanese up to during the war? I know they were on the Entente's side and got involved in the RCW, but that's about it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The time Vikings went Crusading is an amazing epic story that I'm surprised is not a series of movies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Crusade

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread is that there are so many things in history that could be made into awesome movies.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Can I request the Medium Mk. II, please?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Libluini posted:

This sounds more and more like this guy wanted to write about rats and just got terribly confused when putting his pen on paper. He must have been a medieval peasant

It seems like what would happen if Charlie from It's Always Sunny somehow wrote a history book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mycroft Holmes posted:

This conversation made me think. We know the Nazis tried to rework pretty much every facet of German culture and life, even to the point of starting their own christian denomination. What did the Nazis do about Christmas?

Well they banned Krampus.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Trin Tragula posted:

@FlowersForSale1886

Go and boil yer head, you great Prussian ninny! #gstk #rulebritannia #inkitchenerwetrust

*Kaiser attempts to sue an enemy civilian during a war*

Oh god, imagine Bardas on twitter...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mycroft Holmes posted:

ISIS vs the Afrika Corps

Whoever loses, we win!

Didn't they have the SS beat the Viet Cong on that show? That seems bullshit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Argas posted:

The old lore is that the Mon Calamari ships were civilian vessels converted into warships, with the largest ones being pleasure liners. They'd generally be worse at focusing firepower than Imperial star destroyers and were not as well armed, but had redundant shield generators. No idea how much of this has been kept with the new canon.

Well apparently now Mon Calamari ships aren't just converted civilian ships, they're converted cities. So basically they did a 'so long and thanks for all the fish' in their city-ships when the Empire came to crack down on them, before converting them into full-blown battleships.