Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xerxes17 posted:

I know, but specifically early modern stuff aside from the buildings/streets.
did you at least walk past the window in question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Past that a lot of it comes down to psychological factors. The effects of weapons on the human body is some freaky poo poo. Some people will get shot absolutely to ribbons and keep fighting (MOH citations are good places to see this in action) while others will be combat ineffective after a relatively minor injury. This part of it isn't all that well understood , even now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is why they have you cover your opponent's sword while you withdraw even after a successful lunge, siivola (and anyone else who's taken early modern fencing)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Ah, yes, the "perfectly spherical Roman legions in a vacuum" school. :v:
but enough about Ottavio Piccolomini

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
almost every single general of this war looks like he's going harrumph in his pictures
try it yourself, look one of them up

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

This is the weirdest thing. Some people will straight up die from grazes or being struck in the foot, due to shock( I think).
from reading about magic and witchcraft i learned that in a bunch of cases, if people believe they are going to die, they will.

in the witchcraft cases they don't even have to have had anything actually happen to them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Suspect Bucket posted:

I dunno, this guy looks like he's trying not to laugh. Like his kids are in the back of the artist giving him bunny ears or something.
awww, you inadvertently touched on something sad--Field Marshal Piccolomini had three sons, two legitimate and one bastard, all of them were also officers, all of them died in the 30yw. He didn't.

(edit: Wallenstein's only living child was a daughter, but he also had 21 uncles and aunts, many of which had kids, which is why every now and then you'll be reading through an order of battle and find a small crowd of Wallensteins, most with names like Ladislaus and Zdenko. Gallas, I think, had two kids, and a wife who promptly involved herself in inheritance lawsuits after he died. General Sporck had two daughters, Aldringen had no kids at all. Pappenheim had one son, Philip, who died in a duel in 1645. It seems to be a thing with these guys that they have fewer children than you'd expect.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So, this stuff. Green glass, a lot of the time with merengue-like blobs on the sides.
http://www.armabohemia.cz/Novestr/glassA.htm
it's everywhere in early modern art! even in the humblest settings, as in this Franck engraving:

why? could these people afford something like this?

last weekend an english reenactor told me that yes they could--he had just read an article saying that according to ship manifests, central european green glass was so cheap that they shoveled it into english ships as ballast. they'd shovel it back out at the end of the voyage and sell any of it that didn't break for a few cents a piece, at a profit. the soldier in that picture could have afforded the glass he's holding, and probably more than one of them.

so i could have a glass just like the one in that engraving, like this

but it'd break within minutes so i won't. :(

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

what's spanish for ungelegenheit

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Hey, the place is still standing and with a rather distinct lack of houses on fire. Quite peaceful, indeed.
well disciplined :toot:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
they were not pre industrialized societies, op

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the empire is full of that glass. so full. the most glass. you'll love it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Edit: the part that deals with the 30 YW is kind of weirdly shortish. Bierjörg was a poo poo Elector.
you go to war with the Wettin you have, not the Wettin you wish you have

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

on the first chapter now on that recommendation; spot the part where i raised an eyebrow

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

you go to war with the Wettin you have, not the Wettin you wish you have
wait a sec, Kemper Boyd, are you talking about Johann Georg of Saxony, who was the guy who had that nickname, or Georg Wilhelm of Brandenburg? you've confused me

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

This is from a few pages ago (I'm still catching up with the new thread), but interestingly the Lakota Sioux epithet for a white person is "wasicu" which translates roughly to "steals the fat." I dunno if that's related but seems plausible.
when specifically did they first meat our ancestors

edit: typo, but i'm sticking with it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: I forget the actual Lakota word since it's pretty rarely used, but there's another epithet for mixed-race (white and Lakota) people that means literally "translator." The French traders made a deliberate practice of marrying Native American women so they could have a translator and multilingual kids. Many, many Native American families have French surnames today.
this has nothing to do with anything, but i wondered why, if "to translate" in german is uebersetzen, "translator" is dolmetsch/dolmetscher. turns out that word's hungarian. the hungarians, like everyone else in central europe, got it from turkish.

appropriately enough.

edit: and all western europeans made medicines and magical substances out of fat/bones/blood/etc in the 1600s, so far as i know

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 4, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

I was talking about Georg Wilhelm, confused the nicknames because the Brandenburgian dude was an inefficient alcoholic too.
i thought he was an inefficient dude with a wound that wouldn't heal, was he also an alcoholic?

speaking of alcoholics, who do you think created a more toxic working environment, wallenstein or baner?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm really more of an "ideas" guy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Banér, probably because Banér was actually feared for being a mean drunk. Banér was also superstitious beyond the usual and had a bunch of camp followers executed for witchcraft.
the thing about wallenstein is i'm never sure how much of the toxic work environment surrounding him was deliberate, he was just very bad at dealing with almost everyone and if he had had the choice he might have approached other people differently. baner has no such excuse.

he was weird, baner was an rear end in a top hat.

fun fact about wallenstein, when the conspirators were thinking about how to get him away from everyone else on the night of 25 Feb '34, they invited all of the targets, him included, to a party, gambling that Wallenstein would refuse, which he did. So he died as he had lived: avoiding a social engagement.

edit: according to peter wilson, his distaste for socializing with people he didn't choose to socialize with might have contributed to his death, since he never went to court since some point in the...20s? and therefore couldn't schmooze and was at a disadvantage in the kind of politics these people did. Not sure how much schmoozing he could have done at court, but it would have shown the Emperor and the King of the Romans he was making the effort.

edit 2: please do not insult superstitious generals in my presence, thanks and god bless

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Aug 5, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Banérs main contribution was also to make the war even nastier than it had been.
that's not just him, that's everyone. i don't really blame him for that.

look at it this way, he wasn't a hypocrite

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
17th century best century

edit: for more substantial responses to your points, everyone had a legal justification for going to war, everyone had lawyers on tap, and they'd publish that justification in pamphlet form as fast as they could. this was not specific to one side or one guy, and by the 40s I'm pretty sure it had begun to seem rather...tattered.

at least Baner didn't believe his personal interests were identical to the cause he served or the interests of his religion.

edit 2. Everyone's got ideals. Ferdinand the Second had ideals. Ferdinand the second was the most moral person in the goddamn war, and look what that got everyone. Ideals make potential peace treaties fall apart. Ideals are the enemy. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to drink until I'm not depressed and angry about this any more.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 5, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
is that...good?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

The Germans tried that with the E-100, everything old is new again.
not everything :smith:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

what we have taken to calling jabba the tank
snrk

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
bring back the caracole, in my opinion

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

cavalry and firearms have coexisted and complemented each other for centuries, therefore cavalry will last forever
as far as i can tell there's hell of dragoons in afghanistan, theory checks out

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

i hope the official military term for them is still dragoons
i don't know poo poo about anythign that happened after the 1680s and i'd like to keep it that way

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you guys wanted to know what (middle class and up)(civilian)(dutch) beds would have looked like in the period, right?
http://www.sandragulland.com/a-treasury-of-information-on-daily-life-in-17th-century-holland/
of course you do

quote:

The Vermeer household of 3 or 4 adults and 11 children had few blankets. People slept sitting up, two to a bedstead, propped up by pillows. The children slept in wheeled drawers which slid under the bed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not enough sleep! Ug, so unhealthy
a sack of straw is legit to sleep on, but if you keep your pants up by hooking them onto your jacket instead of lacing them, and it's so cold you sleep with your pants on, the hooks might get caught on the rough weave of your straw-sack. It happened to me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's a drat shame the 8th Bohemian Dragoons (Montecuccoli's) can't be around to see this
on the other hand, their dissolution in 1918 means the regiment was never filled with nazis, so there's that

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Someone just posted this in the map thread

note the clear superiority of The Empire, specifically Bohemia, and the part where nobody gives a poo poo about England.

Edit: You might even call it..."the heart of Europe" :v:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 6, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ensign Expendable posted:

I like how the known world ends at Moscow, and then it's just ocean.
Incorrect--then it's Asia. This map expresses a symbolic truth, but everyone knows what the world looks like physically:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Loophole 14 is actually the result of the pointlessness and stupidity of the Italian Front crystallizing into a rock with a hole in it. Jesus Christ. :stare:
the western front is pointless and stupid. the italian front is mean

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Do they basically have a guy with a sniper rifle sitting watching spots like that all day, in case someone's head appears?
if you were a dude from laibach with a sick rear end rifle, would you lose money betting that italian officers are not suicidally insane

is laibach still part of the Empire in 1916? idk

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Edit: For two more years, yes :shobon:
considering the kinds of things i read, there's certain places in the world where i have a detailed map...with totally the wrong place names in it. i know laibach, eger, budweis, etc

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a setup like that, but with a hook gun because you can't get great distance out of a black powder gun without a big bore too, is probably what killed that one king of sweden, not a jacket button fired by one of his own men

sorry!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you can also get newspapers from the enemy country relatively easily, which considering reporters would mention any military plans they could get their hands on, was sometimes a huge hassle for generals on both sides.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hello friends
tias, were you wondering about :stare: harmonious proportions?
there are extremely harmonious proportions behind this link, click here
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...2JKuPgAbMjLTQDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's part of a complex symbolic alphabet of alluding to poo poo, which as a relatively well educated guy (he went to three colleges and was only kicked out of one for killing a guy(not sure he ever graduated tho)) wallenstein would have been familiar with. like i don't remember who it was who did it but some anti-Imperialist produced a play about Jason, Jason stole the Golden Fleece, the Golden Fleece is a Hapsburg order of knighthood, this is a covert reference to victory over the Hapsburgs and therefore a relatively sick burn for the well educated

where magic comes in is that you can also influence your life by producing this stuff, like when the french king depicts himself as the sun at an official dance that's going to literally and for real strengthen his kingdom

see eros and magic in the renaissance and the work of frances yates for more

i mean, wallenstein might be both mental and way too loving wealthy, but everyone who was anyone would have known what this meant

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 8, 2016