Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
:kiddo: "thou art a heretic, thou art a son of perdition, a son of belial, thou art born only to sin, and that unceasingly"

:hist101: "i just asked if you wanted fishsticks with your sketti"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

brugroffil posted:

What are the threads' thoughts on Ordinary Men? Author popped back up in the news with his recent essay.

i liked the book, i hated the stanford prison experiment and i believe it was a sham. it's a shame such a good book relies on such a terrible "study," and it's a shame that study was used as it was elsewhere

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

I wonder how many papers out there hit all of Stanford, Milgram, and SLA Marshall.
"true human beings hate violence; only the structural factors that turn us into monsters and slavish obedience to our authority figures make us likely to fire into the air in the general direction of an enemy"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

quote:

The sole Valiant was retained by the School of Tank Technology, where students were treated to an inspection of it at the end of their course and invited to find fault. David Fletcher wrote of this: "One hopes they started early in the morning."
i love listening to british people roast something until it happens to me

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Isn't that the one the nazi kiddes are jumping on to dehumanize everyone loving sane?

yea we're either NPCs or "bugmen," the common thread being that we can't really think or feel, unlike them.
philosophical zombies ifyou're familiar with the term

therefore their thoughts and deeds no longer trouble their conscience! very tidy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

V. Illych L. posted:

lol have they just invented the untermenschen approach to dehumanisation and used computer game terminology for it

jesus
their whole schtick is "the ______ but with computer game terminology for it"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically, not a single person has ever complained that their gun is too accurate
is this not the mitrailleuse's problem

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i used to own some tokens from the 1840s in mexico, they're square metal pieces and one said something like "this is worth X loads of wool," it was a thing in cash-poor regions for a while

we suffered from a shortage of small change until the 19th century

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I have heard second hand that an art history teacher taught that medieval people were unable to see things in 3 dimensions, which is why their art looks weird. Yeah idk man
that is a dumb popsci version of an interesting book, which asked what it meant when those people imagined things and how that was different in the renaissance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period_eye
the key word here though is "imagine:" the theory is that how you imagine something is conditioned by the biological reality of your eyes plus your culture

edit: i sometimes engage in a similar argument in my own work, because what someone "looks like" is more determined by their clothes for these people than it is for us. like there are accounts of people dying on the field and the people they know not recognizing them until the bodies had been clothed again. We imagine the naked body "beneath" the clothes as the "real person" and my dudes, i think, did not. when i imagine their imaginations, it's of the clothed person as a series of shells, envisioned from outside in. Clothes, bodily movements, social position, habitual acts, scars, etc. Only after that the naked body, which even the people who know you intimately might only rarely see--and that in darkness far deeper than what we're used to with electric lights.

I think what's going on is that most of these people have one suit of clothes each and wear them until they wear out.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 11, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

That's why they were all cannibals.

pfff they'll have to catch me first

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
get this: in english lead rhymes with read but lead rhymes with read :mrgw:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
don't forget lede

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
a letter

quote:

Dearest to my heart, a thousand times my darling, Hans Merten,
I wish you as many hundred thousand good nights as there are stars in the heavens between you and me, and I also send you as many hundred thousand good nights from my sister Osanna. She says you should also think of her, and no hour passes without her thinking of you. I also greet you from all my siblings, father, and mother, all together.

My dearest Hans Merten, the lock of hair which you sent me, I have sewn up with gold-colored silk and wear around my right arm. Otherwise I have no amusement other than your dog. When he thinks that it is getting to be evening, he runs into our room and lies down under my bed at the head. When morning breaks, he does not get up until we get up. My dearest-to-my-heart darling, I humbly beg you, for the sake of God, to kindly send me something. Then the burghers here will gossip without end about the 5 Hungarian gulden you’ve sent me. And so I ask you completely humbly to kindly send me something, me and my sister especially.
http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/sub_document.cfm?document_id=3710

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i mean that's p much who we are and what we're about

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
shut up you fuckig nerds
https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Cedar-Falls-thumb-severed-by-sword-leads-to-criminal-charges-497621881.html

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the belt's been at the level of the floating ribs for a while and you have to hold it there somehow, some acw uniforms balanced the belt on top of little pillows of fabric at the back of the jacket

the belt isn't to hold your pants up, it's to hold stuff on. trying to make the thing that holds the belt in place the same thing as the suspenders was the ill-advised part

in my period you hold your pants up by lacing it to your jacket like both of them are a huge shoe

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
but you can just keep your belt up by buckling it tighter
it's what i do

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

That grab-the-blade trick doesn’t work as well in real life as it did in Rob Roy, I see.

only do it if you have armor on

edit: in a pinch, cloth supposedly blocks blades better than you'd think so you can wrap a jacket or cloak around your off hand and try to parry with that. I've never tried it myself though

the wounded man in those photos actually had the right idea--which would you rather get stabbed in, your hand or one of the big arteries?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 17, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Biffmotron posted:

The USSR threw up a bunch of these small cities centered around a factory which produced something for the Soviet economy, say camouflage netting or terrible transistor radios. The waste heat from the factory was used to heat nearby apartment blocks. When the USSR collapses in 1991, all these factories went idle. But the low level officials in these cities had to somehow keep the heating system up, lest the entire city freeze. Dense, but better than it sounds.
i love everyday details, this sounds like my poo poo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am more ok with this in the context of reenactment than in the context of video games because in reenactment you can think or talk about whatever you want and you lose half the time, while a video game propels you along a preset path that doles out the feeling of accomplishment, leading you to associate success with nazis

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MikeCrotch posted:

This is not true in the slightest, the far-right always gains supporters in times of economic distress.
the relationship between those two factors is a lot murkier than it seems
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/opinion/trump-coalition-2016-midterms.html
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/10/16/17980820/trump-obama-2016-race-racism-class-economy-2018-midterm

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Halloween Jack posted:

These "race, not economic anxiety" articles always carefully scrub the fact that turnout is in the toilet and poor people, in particular, don't vote. These news outlets need to do this because they were the same ones angsting over the White Working Class as a political monolith for months.
the poor vote dem. the people who call themselves the "white working class" make a lot of money, comparatively.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Can we please not do this particular derail again?
someone brought up harmful totalitarianism, thoughts are going to lead in the direction of harmful totalitarianism

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

this country is illiterate

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

I really dislike discussion of whether something is "true communism," or fascism, or democracy, or w/e.
the difference between the rest of these and communism is that well-meaning but misled poshos don't get their feelings hurt and start yelling about sanders and corbyn if you talk about paraguay

Squalid posted:

I know totalitarian is a rather vague concept but its really stretching it to a apply it to a place like Venezuela, which --putting aside the rhetoric for a moment-- has what is in many important respects a very shallow state. In terms of how it actually functions it has as much in common with right-wing governments like the one ruling Honduras as it does with the Soviet Union.
i thought i was talking about china?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 19, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey what was that awesome book on the 39Years War again
you are gonna have to narrow this down

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Squalid posted:

the appeal of central planning to them comes largely from their desire to emulate the economic and military successes of the Soviet Union, rather than deep ideological commitments.
meanwhile at least one biographer of Stalin argues that he had an anxiety-of-influence thing going on with Bismarck

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Is there even a communist party that cracks a percent of the vote anywhere in Europe? I don't see how you get to communism from "minimum wage should be higher" and "welfare should be actually livable"
we're not talking about the "minimum wage should be higher" people, we are talking about china.
the only person who brought up american or british politics did so in the middle of his no true scotsman flounce

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

How strange then, that Britain immediately prepared to snatch up as much of all German colonies as they could, especially in Africa, where they had an agreement to not do this before the war.

feedmegin posted:

Yes, it's called 'war'. You don't want the German colonies threatening your own, or acting as friendly ports for your enemy's navy, or interdicting your shipping.
a ww1 slapfight is a deep cut

(everyone go to the berlin technological museum if you can, there is an AMAZINGLY passive-aggressive exhibit on the ww1 german navy and how they had to scuttle it but they're not mad, not at all)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

With regard to war in video games in general there is a key problem that comes from the media itself, namely the clash between narrative and gameplay. There’s a fancy word for this that I’m blanking on, but basically you frequently get dissonance between what the overt message of the story is - as indicated by cutscenes and in-game events - and what the gameplay itself is telling you.
this is why reenacting is from one perspective less morally problematic to me: you are not the main character and you really do feel tired/hot/cold/rained on/hungover/bruised. you are not a superperson, things are not set up beforehand to make you succeed, and you feel the limits of human weakness.

however, the emotional immediacy with the person you are playing and his situation means i still refuse to play a nazi, even though considering my looks i doubt anyone'd ask me

edit: also, considering how you reenact to have a good time with friends, doing that while playing a nazi just sounds gross

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 19, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
get around ludonormitave dissonance by making a flora sandes simulator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/A_forgotten_soldier

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Halloween Jack posted:

And then there's the double standard in how most people look at these things historically. There's no Victims of Liberal Democracy Memorial Foundation or a bunch of people on the news shrieking about Pinochet whenever someone extols the virtues of free markets.
there totally are people who try to, for instance, ascribe all deaths to illness to capitalism

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 19, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Wasn't the point of colonialism explicitly for the latter to fund the former?
Robbing Zwarte Pieter to pay Leopauld?
not Leopold II's. He was a very very weird dude, everyone in Europe hated him because they knew he was into teens and he decided to take the congo specifically because Belgium was liberal and he wanted to be the absolute monarch of something. so he convened an international humanitarian congress to manipulate into giving him permission. the rubber came much later.

Edit: It wasn't enmity against dark skinned people, he thought about a bunch of other places first. he settled on the Congo because it had just become famous at the time. no other monarchs would sell him little bits of their dominions so he needed a terra nullius.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 19, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tunicate posted:

Isn't it more parsimonious to assume leopald was just super loving racist and didn't care what happened to subhuman browns?

you can do a lot of tremendously hosed up things to people who are no different from yourself

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

To discount the resources of the Congo as something separate from its fame is also questionable.
didn't the rubber thing only really take off the ground later? they don't have to be profitable for the colonizing countries to want to have them, i know german colonies never broke even let alone made a profit but the germans kept dumping their cash into there

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've started listening to the revolutions podcast and Charles the first is mighty impressive at creating disasters out of thin air
he was a good person in his private life, but spectacularly bad at his job

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
who the gently caress was the first person to realize that eating a small amount of semtex would get you high

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Reiterpallasch posted:

are we just tacitly agreeing to ignore the great leap forward
if someone starves to death as a direct result of the things i did to him this is the moral equivalent of if he gets the flu while standing next to me. i am an intelligent adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

19th and early 20th century Britain was renowned for its cleanliness
and if they cleaned up their poo poo later while the ussr and china deliberately did not, that's a coincidence which fell out of the loving sky, since there is no such thing as context or intent. we will never solve this mystery.

why o why was environmentalism a central part of east german dissidence in the 1970s and 80s? we just don't know

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 20, 2018