Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The Japanese soldier looks almost disappointed in how he isn't nearly as blinged out as anyone else in that photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Way back when I was in high school, there was a guy on a forum I went to who was convinced that instead of reforming after the Boshin War and opening up, Japan should have closed the borders again and then just "teched up" for a few decades then conquer the rest of the world. I guess he meant Emperor Meiji should have set the research slider to max and stacked research bonuses or something.

EDIT: In hindsight I'm definitely blaming way too much Civ on that line of thinking.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 20, 2016

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Rockopolis posted:

Hey, thanks! Kindle version's only six bux.

I needed to read more anyway. Where's the WWI day by day book? The Goon one.

Also, what do you imagine the Milhist Thread's Secret Santa gifts to be like? Kinda hard to make a surprise gift of a pike.

The complete works of Niall Fergueson

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Eela6 posted:

Question : how do armed services generally handle Christmas?

I took leave and am with my family, my friends who didn't take leave got Friday and Monday off. Last year when I was in language training I got two weeks of block leave where I could take time off or be put on pointless details.

Generally they make you do pointless details if you don't take leave in my experience.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose if MI5 can convince the entire planet that carrots give you night vision it's not overly surprising that Dunkirk being cool and good stuck as well.

Wait, that's where that myth came from? My dad used to tell that to me all the time as an example of when "common wisdom" is wrong, I had no idea it originally came from MI5.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

I used to bullseye those in my T-16 back home.

I was going to make a dumb pun by linking a real world vehicle here but apparently the only real T-16 is what the Canadians called the Bren gun carrier and an obscure Russian tank

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ChaseSP posted:

According to the accounts I've heard, modern rations are designed to give you constipation so you don't poo poo yourself while fighting.

Officially they don't cause constipation, but last time I ate nothing but MREs for a week I had the worst case of constipation ever. A lot of that was also due to not getting nearly enough water and running around in Texas heat in MOPP gear but still, not something I would willingly want to go through again.

And while I know the plural of anecdote isn't data but basically everyone I knew also ended up wicked constipated that week. I can only imagine how bad it is if you are stuck in Kandahar, or somewhere else even hotter than where I was.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wasn't there a guy who somehow managed to be in both Nagasaki and Hiroshima for the bombs, and he lived to tell about it? They should have you play as him.

Supposedly he survived Hiroshima, went back to Nagasaki and was bombed while trying to explain to his boss how an entire city was wiped off the face of the earth with one weapon.

Slightly related, my deceased great-aunt was actually a nurse who was at Hiroshima after the bomb dropped. She never talked about it in detail but she did always tell us that we (as in, everyone in the family) were not allowed to give into despair and cry because she didn't cry when she was nuked, and whatever you are going through isn't nearly as bad as that. She was like the personification of the Japanese saying "it can't be helped", which coincidentally she used to tell us all the time.

I only asked her about the bomb once, and she knew that I was getting into photography so she gave me a book that was entirely photos taken post-bomb. I never asked her about it again, and also I didn't sleep for like a week because holy poo poo a crocodile person (?) is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen :stare:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Any Chinese in this thread? How is the Korean war handled in Chinese/Taiwanese school history books?

When I read history books in Chinese, I noticed that there is a persistent claim in the PRC that the US used chemical weapons in Korea. Not sure how widely believed it is but I'll check after work to see if I didnt put those chinese history books in storage, I dont think those books had an English translation.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Most of my books are in storage, including what I was looking for, but I did find this about supposed chemical warfare used during the Korean War, which as far as I can tell is only really said in China because in English I can only find allegations for American use of biological weapons. The website claims that on 89 different occasions, the US used chemical weapons against the PLA and KPA and killed hundreds to thousands of civilians and soldiers. I don't know how widely believed this claim is, but that is the main search engine officially used in China, so a lot most probably all of the content there is straight up propaganda. I'm not Chinese and have never been to China, so I really can only translate what I find online and don't want to say if the average person believes the propaganda or is skeptical because I honestly don't know.

As for Taiwan, as far as I can see it is pretty close to how the US views the Korean war and nothing really odd or eyebrow raising.

The last sentence is seriously great by the way, roughly translated it says "The American army carried out chemical warfare as a kind of 'poison magic' in the Korean War, but [chemical warfare] was unable to achieve its expected purpose, and American chemical warfare was unable to change [the American's] destiny of defeat." Chinese is my third language so if anyone could point out any glaringly obvious mistakes I made, please tell me.

quote:

1. Japan invaded
2. China fought heroically
3. ????
4. Victory!

5. Nationalist doublecross

See also: The plot of every Chinese historical drama set in WWII.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

This Soviet poster at least acknowledges that other nations were involved:

Nothing similar for the Chinese?

Remember that modern China isn't controlled by the same government that was fighting in WWII, all the propaganda posters from that era were made by the KMT, who are portrayed in state media as inept and corrupt at best, and actively cooperating with the Japanese at worst. So while the KMT most likely had posters that showed the assistance provided by the West, the CCP has built an entire mythology on how they were the ones who single-handedly threw out the Japanese when the KMT couldn't/wouldn't which persists to the present day. Acknowledging that the other nations had any part in liberating China undermines that obviously, so China (specifically the communist party) is the entire reason why the War in Asia was won, and there might be some stuff about killing that Hitler fellow over in Europe if it is a really good textbook.

OTOH I've read a few Taiwanese sources that credit the Western countries with helping to beat the Japanese, and the Taiwanese people I've talked to know about the Flying Tigers and their role in the war. It makes sense, since the West was directly providing aid to the KMT before, during and after the war in the form of both men and materiel, while the CCP at best received some lip service from the Soviet Union, so from a certain point of view they did fight the Japanese without foreign assistance :v:

Unrelated but I did find this poster from Korea while looking for WWII posters:

TL: Long live the victorious Korean People's Army and Chinese Volunteer Army!

Maybe it's just me but that pair of Korean and Chinese soldiers look like they've seen some poo poo.

ulmont posted:

I don't know about chemical weapons, but massacring civilians was semi-official to official US policy in the Korean War with attested deaths of hundreds to thousands of civilians.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-korean-war-era-massacre-was-policy/

Interesting, I've only read about what the South Korean military itself had done during the war and assumed that was also Northern propaganda. I also don't know much about that war in general except for the development of the air war.

EDIT:

Tias posted:

That depends.. In most( all?) scandinavian languages, we call them Tjekkiet, where 'iet' is equal to the English 'ia'.

I'm just guessing, but could it have to do with the fact that the US( and other countries) still called their smokescreen/flame projecting units 'chemical batallions' at the time?

It's very specific, either B-29s dropping chemical weapons on Nampo and Wonsan or artillery crews bombarding the innocent PLA soldiers post-armistice with chemical weapons. That might be part of it, because in Chinese those units are literally called "Smoke-making/spurt-fire-weapon team" and there was a translation error. At this point I'd hazard to guess that it is more to do with how the it was a useful piece of propaganda 60 years ago, and no one in the US has raised a huge fuss over it so it's easier to keep up the party line than change it.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 3, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've been watching the Viva Villa! on TCM and I'm under the impression Pancho Villa owned

He's my favorite personality from that era, and its also interesting to see how fast public opinion in America turned against him. I wish he was more well known in America other than "bandido who attacked us that one time"

My grandpa in Mexico City also calls him the Centaur of the North, and when I was a kid I thought this meant he was literally a gun wielding centaur. Words can not describe my disappointment when I found out the truth.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Wasn't he the same dude who built the giant gold statue of himself that always rotated to face the sun?

That was actually real? Like, I thought that was the Onion making fun of his ego :stare:

Edit: The next Paradox game needs to let me go full crazy dictator, I need my giant gold statue of myself.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Porfirio Diaz? I

As the Futurama quote goes "Oh, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder"

He wasn't terrible but that doesn't make him good for the country. Of course, like anything relating to Mexican history, people have all kinds of opinions regarding him, but I personally blame his not stepping down from power as one of the chief causes of the Mexican revolution during the 1910's and 20's. This probably says more about my personal politics than anything else.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How is Maximilian viewed in Mexico? From US-centric pop-history (and not much of that really talks about him, or Mexico in general, which is a drat shame) he seems like a well-meaning but not too competent European aristocrat in a time and place where being a European aristocrat is a somewhat poor idea.

Now that I'm no longer drunk, I can answer this question properly. Again, it depends on who you ask. In the broadest terms, he is extremely unpopular among the far left circles, while the far right loves him. When I'm in Mexico and hear someone praising what he did, my first reaction is that I'm talking to a supporter of the FNM. While he did try to enact liberal reforms, during his life he was only popular among the extremely conservative parts of the population, and spent his entire reign fighting against Benito Juárez and, indirectly, the United States. In what I've read, my own opinions and the feeling I get from people I talk to, he was a German twat who was not very good at anything but making people mad at him, and at best he was a puppet of the French Empire who loved his country but couldn't see that his love was not reciprocated. Also he killed thousands of people without due process because they were Juárez supporters, so he wasn't very benevolent either. Whether you think all of that is a tragedy because he was forced into doing this in order to crush a persistent and illegal rebellion, or a crime done by a tyrant who was desperate to hold onto any ounce of power will depend on where you fall on the political spectrum.

There was a telenovela about his life, for what that's worth. And interestingly enough, while he was viewed as a puppet state and usurper of Benito Juárez's legitimate government by the United States, Austria, Prussia and Great Britain regarded his empire as the legitimate government of Mexico.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Any movie that has an Iowa pull a handbrake turn into a full broadside is alright by me TBH.

Needed more Eurobeat, it already was a crossover between Initial D and a board game, might as well go all the way.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
At this point, I'm pretty sure the entire EMALS is damned if you do, damned if you don't. I only did a few design classes in college before I dropped out, and I have nightmares about how even relatively small changes could multiply into massive headaches because of unforeseen consequences; something as integral to the ship as the EMALS probably would be a lot more complected than ctrl-x'ing the EMALS and ctrl-v'ing a steam catapult.

We'll see what kind of bribe it takes before the president does yet another 180 on the project and demands that every ship be installed with EMALS.

Rockopolis posted:

So what kind of ship is the USS Donald Trump going to be?

A repainted Admiral Kuznetsov class carrier, with full Twitter integration.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

We really need an 'ultimate bad book' list or something. There's this, the Gavin Menzies thing on Zheng He, uh, maybe one of the ones saying the Middle Ages didn't happen...?

Anything by Nial Fergusson, in my own experience. This includes any articles he's written online.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BattleMoose posted:

Consider how long it took western countries to build our institutions or how long it took to transition from absolutism rule to a representative democracy. Either way it occurred over centuries with a number of failed starts and a lot of bloodshed.

The west has on occasion tried to force the change of some countries from some form of absolute rule to some form of a democracy within a time scale of years or decades. It just doesn't work.

It's worked out great, just look at bastion of freedom and democracy Iraq, which simultaneously proves that just going in and tossing money at problems with no plans is awesome because government intervention only adds inefficiency, better just to have one company do all of that instead.

And being serious, even if you look at countries that went from a monarchy or dictatorship to a democracy, it is never an easy road, a general overview off the top of my head:

Japan:japan: - Tokugawa bakufu to Prussian-style constitution to repressive empire to modern democracy and it only took a civil war, a lost world war and a whole lot of assassinations, protests that bordered on revolutions, an actual rebellion by the samurai in Kyushu and the US backing up the government after WWII

Mexico :mexico:- Viceroyalty to Empire to federal republic, followed by a centralized republic under a series of strongmen which is marked by the frontiers seceding and Santa Ana becoming president multiple times as well as losing the entirety of the northern provinces to the US, then another federal republic, followed by another empire, a 35 year presidential dictatorship ending in a revolution and finally a de-facto single party state that literally only ended in 2000, when for the first time in literally a century there was a peaceful transfer of power between one party to another. Also still marred by insane amounts of corruption and other mostly institutional problems, but so far no one's coup'd the president so by the low standard of the previous Mexican democratic experiments it is a great success.

France :france:- In between the first and fifth republics there have been two empires and a restoration of the monarchy under two different branches of the Bourbons.

South Korea :thereisnoSKemote:- I've been looking into this recently and it is basically a succession of strongmen backed by the US until 1987 when a mass protest movement finally outs the junta

Taiwan :cryingKMT:- Presidential dictatorship under Chiang Kai-shek and the KMT until his death, the first opposition party isn't formed until 1986 and martial law is not repealed on Taiwan until 1987.

And in most of these, the pressure for democracy came from the bottom up, and weren't put in place by an outside country, so there was already grassroots support for the democratic support, which obviously makes building institutions that will support the democratically elected government easier. The one example I have of a foreign country successfully implementing a democratic government was in Japan, where they already had a democratic tradition and institutions in place, so McArthur had somewhere to work within rather than building everything from the ground up. Also they had literally been bombed into rubble, which made the population more open to trying the foreign way of governing, since the brutal repression of the Empire had brought them to ruin. At least, that's the impression I got from my great-aunt, I don't actually have any scholarly sources on that last point.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't say that name.

I said his name in front of a mirror three times, and now he won't stop yelling at me about how the White Man's Burden means the British Empire was both cool and good.

Edit: since when has :thermidor: been an emote? It accurately sums up how France went from absolute monarchy to republic

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 12, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Hello thread, I have a rather specific question.

I'm going to presume everyone is familiar with the national archives' publishing of navy logbooks. For a stupid project I have in my head (I'll explain it if asked but it's not terribly relevant to the question), I need to understand the diction, cadence, and general style of these navy logs. However, the handful of ships that I've perused so far have had predictably boring existences, mostly just moored alongside other ships and occasionally putting out to sea for exercises that end in regulation boredom for everyone involved.

This is important as hell for what I'm doing but I also need a good smattering of ships that were in combat, had discipline problems, were on 'gunboat diplomacy' duty where they were threatening a tinpot dictator or something to get a broader view of how these logs are written and maintained. Can anyone suggest ships that have some of these interesting existences, hopefully with general time frames for me to look at?

e: also just to be entirely clear, I do not give a crap if this question is answered with American ships, I just need the resource to be online and for the logbooks to be in English. I've got zero problems looking at British or Australian ship logs if someone has a cool one there.

Off the top of my head, the USS Midway (CVA-41) saw action in Vietnam, Korea, the first Taiwan Strait Crisis and the first Gulf War before it was decommissioned in '92. It's bound to have an interesting logbook.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

Available logbooks for the Midway range from 1962 to 1974. I'll start scanning some of these, but if you happen to come up with specific events it was involved in, please let me know so I can refine the search!

It did have the last air to air kill in Vietnam, wiki says it was 12Jan73, and it also had its first air to air kill in Vietnam on 17 June 65. I'm pretty sure they had a plane score a gun kill that year but wiki disagrees with me.

Also it was involved in the final evacuation of Saigon, not sure the exact days it was off the coast of Vietnam.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

also the american engineers and business men that went over?

I forget if it was this thread or its predecessor, but someone did a massive series of effort posts about just that. I'd link exactly where but I'm phoneposting and search doesn't like me.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Down Periscope is widely known as the most accurate submarine movie ever made.

Having talked to and drank with far too many submariners, I will vouch for it and say that movie is 100% accurate. Something about being locked into a metal tube either only attracts crazy people, or it breaks people.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

I was hoping it would be entirely about Churchill trying to get the Allies to do a naval invasion, following him from WWI and his plan to invade Northern Germany, to the debacle at Gallipoli and then finally going through every possible permutation of a naval landing until D-Day.

This is going to suck, and I'll probably see it on opening day.

Hell, same.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Disinterested posted:

Tobasco Sauce on Everything - A Modern British Infantryman's Cookbook
Fixed it for you.

Disinterested posted:

Constipation: The Life of a Soldier.
My drill sergeant in basic said that was a feature, I personally think he was full of poo poo (:v:)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My experience with MPs (well, air force security forces but similar enough) is that they drive my drunk rear end back to the dorms if I drink too much and do something stupid, and are way more polite than any civilian police have been to me despite the fact I assume all of them hate me for the aforementioned reason. Talking to them, they mostly tell me they're disappointed they are cops first because they thought that SF meant that they go outside the wire a lot. I can't really tell you much else because my job is about as far from that as you can get.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have not seen it, but -

General Ludendorff is one of two main villains in the new Wonder Woman movie

that is all

Honestly doesn't seem that far fetched. I'm surprised they used an actual historical person as a villain, must be because WWI is more obscure than the second one.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

That poor horse. :ohdear:

Poor Butters, thought of tanks and died.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The future of reenactors with a bad sense of history

limp_cheese posted:

Does anybody know how the wounded were cared for or treated at various points in history? Not just hospital poo poo, but how they were taken care of after the fact when they went home. From my understanding simple wounds were fatal because of poor hygiene, lovely tools, and limited medical knowledge. Afterwards the wounded were made to fend for themselves without much of a stipend , if any.

I know if varies wildly but whatever anyone knows about their particular time frame would be great.

Like you said, it depends. If you can get to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, there is a Museum of Army Medicine there which is actually really cool and a good overview of how the US treated the wounded on the battlefield and transported them to the hospital since the Civil War. I might have some pictures but they're on another computer which is currently a few thousand miles away and I completely forgot to upload them somewhere I could access them

From what I understand, until the formation of the International Committee of the Red Cross in 1863, there wasn't really any organization that would treat wounded soldiers, either post-battle or post-war, but I'm only am familiar with how modern CASEVAC works.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Asimov posted:

The thread title reminded me of a line I read in "1776" regarding the inebriation of (I think) Massachusetts soldiers besieging Boston.

Now I'm not sure if the standardized Litre bottle had been widely adopted in The Colonies by 1775/1776 but a single bottle of rum per solider per day seems like an astounding amount of alcohol. I'm imagining a hungry revolutionary soldier consuming 1000 mL of 90-100 proof rum a day, and I don't see the man being in fitting state to fire a musket or do any kind of entrenching work. This could obviously be exaggeration by the "British ship's surgeon" or an embellishment of history but a battlefield of rummed-up American militiamen must have been a hosed up thing to command if everyone was completely wasted. Not to mention the logistical challenge of supplying an entire force with something like ~6 imperial gallons (27 litres) of rum per man per month. The quantity seems unlikely to me personally but paints an interesting picture of camp life and discipline in the American Revolutionary War era.

War. War never changes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

im not familiar with russian enough to know if there is a slang association between organ and giant throbbing dick in that language

The Russians didn't call it Stalin's Organ, that was the Germans. Katyusha is just a cutesy diminutive of the name Yekaterina, which was pretty surprising to me but I guess if the NKVD wont tell you the name, just call it the first thing that comes to mind

Edit: a quick check tells me that similar systems are also called Stalin's organs in other languages, and apparently the modern BM-31 is called Andryusha. Do Russians just like cutesy nicknames or is the internet lying to me?

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 15, 2017

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Come to think of it, the name for the T34 Shermans with the MLRS mounted was "calliope," again because of the look and sound.

Are there other examples of different armies giving similar nicknames to similar equipment like that?

Off the top of my head, Allied soldiers referred to the MP-40 as sounding like a sewing machine and the MG-42 was called Hitler's Buzzsaw partially due to its sound.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My grandpa forbid me from eating spam and vienna sausages because those were basically the only proteins he got in Manzanar. Its so strongly ingrained in me that even though I live in Hawaii and am surrounded by spam I still can't eat it, its like there's a mental block there.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I have an odd question, but does anyone have a good source on the Lille pocket in 1940? I just found out that 40,000 Frenchmen held off 7 divisions during the Fall of France and might have directly contributed to the sheer amount of men, but my brief googling found only a few clickbait articles and a woefully short wikipedia article. It seems depressingly obscure for something so important.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Yeeeeeeah, and that's on top of the whole thingie where you need to be alive to have rights, and, uh...

Crime is committed by the living, so killing everyone brings down the crime rate to zero:downs:. Plus everyone has equal rights when their skulls are used to build a pyramid as a warning to the next tribe over :black101:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ithle01 posted:

Yeah of course, I'm well aware of that, but odds are that the army volunteer has to do the same job or even worse jobs than that for as low as one-tenth the pay and poo poo benefits after your discharge - at least that's what I hear, I've literally never heard a veteran claim they were well taken of after they left the military, but I don't have a large sample size to work with.

Honestly the benefits afterwards are extremely hit or miss, as anyone in GiP would tell you, though broadly I will say that the VA is underfunded and undermanned and a lot of problems stem from that. The GI bill is pretty good, and when you are in you get 4500 dollars a year of tuition assistance, which combined with the Post 9/11 GI bill giving 36 months of school (really oversimplifying here) you can easily end up with a degree with little to no debt. Like, the benefits afterwards could be better and the new change to the pension system hurts people who want to stay in while helping people who get out, but it isn't complete rear end. Mostly.

The base pay is rear end, but you add in the food and housing subsidies, cost of living adjustments, health insurance and life insurance it gets a lot more competitive. Not "holy poo poo I'm definitely gonna stay my full 20" competitive, but I hadn't had a job on the outside that let me live comfortably in Honolulu so its not bad. Still would never go and be a grunt, they just get poo poo on constantly as has happened historically since probably the Roman era. At least my pay has only been late twice in a three year period, which is a lot better than most jobs I've had.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you want a window into how antagonisms develop over generation then spill over due to a series of pressures the Hutu - Tutsi example is well documented and really enlightening

Do you have specific sources or is looking at the citations on Wikipedia a decent start? Most of what I know is the general course of the genocide but I don't know where to start researching the background of it. Also I'm a bit wary of researching anything past the 60s.

Also a related question for future reference, how do you figure what a good source is when you are studying an unfamiliar subject? I never took a college level history class, but I've always loved reading about history and in high school you really don't learn about what is and isn't a good source (I mean maybe they did but I never had to actually work hard to get good grades and kind of slept through most of my classes, which has really been biting me in the rear end since then).

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
This is an extremely loaded question, but it is the anniversary of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki and I'd like to know what are generally considered good books about the atomic bombings? I have a personal connection to the bombing (not related to a survivor but long complicated story made short my great aunt was a nurse at Hiroshima and had some extremely strong opinions wrt nuclear weapons). But beyond the actual bombing* I don't know anything about the decisions that led up to it being dropped, and everything I've found is extremely politicized for obvious reasons, and any discussion it gets brought up in immediately devolves into people yelling past each other. I'm not so interested in discussion in this thread because I would rather not get the thread closed down.

*fun story, my great aunt collected photos of Hiroshima for some morbid reason, and showed me photos of what it looks like when you are too close to a blast when I was 7. I couldn't sleep for weeks because I was afraid of ant walking crocodiles coming for me. Also don't look up ant walking crocodile of you are easily sickened because it is still one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that didnt take long to get suggestions. Looks like my reading list has gotten much, much larger, thanks for the suggestions

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now I am torn between my urge to find out what on earth an "ant walking crocodile" and my worry that trying to find out would lead to something bad.

My Japanese was always really bad so maybe my translation is off but they were the poor souls who were close enough to the blast to have every exposed inch of skin instantly burn and lost all their facial features as a result, but were too far away to have been killed instantly. They looked more like aliens or crocodiles and they slowly would shuffle towards rescue workers, or if they were lucky they would stumble into the river and drown. I was told the ant walking name came from their disturbing shuffle and the fact they walked in large lines, kind of like ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

tank destroyers did nothing wrong

Fixed for accuracy