Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Is it the panther or the tiger that's gears break before it runs out of fuel. I can never remember.

During WW2, I've seen a lot of off hand mentions of enemy equipment being captured and used. How did the various belligerents go about this? Specifically, how did they avoid friendly fire incidents? Were there a bunch of panzer IVs with red stars painted on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Airborne Viking posted:

finally, I might actually be able to keep up with this one

Not if this rate of posting keeps up.

Thanks for the replies on captured poo poo everyone

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Empress Theonora posted:

Seeing a Sherman being used by the Nazis makes me really sad in a way I'm not sure I can justify regarding a piece of inanimate military equipment.

Poor tank. :smith:

The fact that you said this about the Sherman and not the T-34 is why you're going straight to the gulag when the revolution comes, comrade.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ataxerxes posted:

This concludes the foreword.

I'm looking forward to this, but man this guy likes his sentences loooong

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

here is an article about a conscientious objector. it's also relevant to my interests, since it's about a man whose honor was taken away from him and who "says he cannot die—he literally cannot leave this earth—until [it] is fully restored."
http://reprints.longform.org/zepps-last-stand

Bizarre from start to finish

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I know WW1 biplanes were a bit notorious for chucking crap at the pilot if the engine suffered damage, and I think they just vented the exhaust out the side of the front of the fuselage rather than bothering to run the exhaust very far.

But this diagram of a model T shows a quite clear rear exhaust and what even looks like a muffler:

So gently caress if I know.

It's been awhile since I did the class at uni that briefly touched on it, but the exhaust pipe does have an impact on the performance of the engine. I'm not sure if they cared in 1916, but it's not completely impossible that putting on a reasonably long pipe would've reduced the tanks engine power when it was already fairly slow. Probably wrong on this, hopefully an AI regular can elaborate. Also an exhaust pipe is just begging for a grenade, perhaps the designers figured the soldiers wouldn't be in the tank too long and could cope rather than add a weak spot to the tank.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

one tactic for the defenders during a siege is literally that from a distance it's hard to tell where the front door of a star fort is

I assume this means they make/paint on fake doors? That's pretty funny.

"Curse you Bugsolfus von Bunnystein!"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I'm still disappointed that painting fake doors on your star fort isn't a valid cunning ruse after all.

More like thirty years bore.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

HEY GAL is a Swedish Cavalry reenactor who loves Gustavus Adolphus with a passion.

She's going to kill you for this

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

spectralent posted:

Maybe a dumb question since it might be a cultural thing that doesn't translate but:

To what extent are people before industrial war getting PTSD and related traumas? Are there knights who go off to war then can't be around their families because they have fight-or-flight fugues when they hear scraping metal? Are there samurai with chronic sleeping issues? Do the romans have an informal veterans support network?

This has been asked before a looong time ago and I believe the consensus was 'yes'. Hopefully people can remember the examples, it was really interesting

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

My favorites are the bits of ordinance strapped to animals. Russia put explosives on dogs and tried training them to run at tanks. Somebody tried using pigeons to steer bombs. America had a very effective bomb developed with little timed incendiary charges tied to a bunch of bats, so that when the bats found little shadowy spots in Japanese buildings, they'd burst into flame. It never saw action because the nuclear bomb came out first.

Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance, Rear Admiral Reuben G. L. Goldberg at your service.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Tias posted:

idgi, what is loophole 14 :confused:

It's been a recurring thing in Trin's ww1 blog. Loophole 14 is on the italian/austrian front, and provides the observer an incredibly good view of the austrian position. However, it's being watched by an Austrian sniper at all times.

Multiple Italian officers have been killed when the soldiers say "don't look through loophole 14, you'll get shot" and the officers respond with "MMMM gently caress YOU I'M BRAVE"
*bang*

So this intrepid soldier was attempting to kill the general the same way, but in a stroke of bad luck, the austrian sniper wasn't there/watching or decided not to shoot.
In disgust, they took loophole 14 apart.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Might even give you a few extra minutes before the exhaust inside gets to an unbearable level.

Or did they have external exhausts by this point?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

actually, imperial measurements are good

This time heygal you've gone too far

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Owlkill posted:

This is a fantastic story that I'm going to steal as an interesting historical anecdote, but what was the point of this? Just to get the Germans to waste resources on rescue missions etc and also act as a trap for the local agents?

Seems like a way easier way of destroying/capturing enemy equipment and personnel than the normal way (fighting)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That doesn't mean the tank was poo poo though?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

At this point I'm pretty sure Jobbo Fett is just a wehraboo/history channel apologist.

Nobody is claiming the t34 is a wondertank, you're asserting that it's poo poo and you regularly come out and defend German tanks.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

The 100 Years Ago Today Subreddit talked about the Brusilov Offencive, does anyone know if anything about the Russian preparations and strategic conditions going into it, strategy and so on, that maybe highlights or foreshadows Russian strategic and operational strengths? Like could you look back at it and see "Aha, and this is why Bagration."

Speaking of, I wonder what trin is up to. He's getting pretty far behind.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago: An Announcement

Hi folks, those of you who read my blog about the First World War, which started from effortposts I was making here a couple of years ago, probably noticed that regular updates stopped happening a while ago. There's a very simple reason for this: I don't have the time any more to keep churning out enough words every month (and it takes a lot of words) to keep it ticking over. I could do it if it were my job, but it's not, so. The Somme mud claims another casualty, but this one is at least wounded, not dead.

What I'm going to do instead is keep updating in skeleton form with the occasional longer thing when big/interesting things happen, and maybe some time down the road I'll have enough time to come back and finish the thing off properly. Thanks to everyone who read it and who bought the books.

I'm just glad you are not dead.

Thanks for the posts, I don't have a problem with a transition to effort posts for big events. I was always amazed you managed to find the time, thanks for all your hard work.

I bought the books but haven't read them yet, I should go and catch up on '14 and '15.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Sorry about your hosed up language

Yeah what a mess. I don't think that even counts as the Roman alphabet anymore...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

BattleMoose posted:

Oh yeah, its certainly an effective means of clearing wire. But not having to focus your artillery on wire clearing duties frees them up to fire on other targets and potentially reducing how long a bombardment is necessary. Reducing the time the enemy has to bring up reserves and so forth. Not having to use artillery for wire clearing or not as much, has to be an advantage. Also fewer craters and such. I also see the success (relative) of the 1918 offensive as indicative that with the correct amount of artillery and infantry doctrines, trench systems could be overcome. Of course tanks would help, on the first few days.

Not sure how you intend to get the second wave of tanks through the crater filled hellscape of the trench systems, without directly driving them and with them subsequently breaking down. Getting through the hell scape of the trench system isn't sufficient, you also have to figure out how to get all your logistics and heavy artillery through it too. And that takes time. Enough time for your enemy to dig in, just 10 miles back?

I imagine it is much easier to move a tank through a cratered hellscape when nobody is shooting at you and the engineering corps is there to help

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Hey can somebody give me an example of that British equipment list style?

It's something along the lines of 1x BOOTS, BLACK, MARCHING, for the use of.

But I think I'm remembering it wrong and it's bugging me. The weird yoda grammar was a defining characteristic

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Thanks Trin!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

DONE, What have I.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah I don't know if this atomic/nuclear distinction is actually a thing.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Those two things sound exactly the same???

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

I thought it was somewhat commonly held that it was new, larger fortifications that drove the need for larger armies, which drove a need for more centralization and bureaucracy in order to generate the huge amount of income needed to field those armies.

But surely larger fortifications are only possible with more centralization and bureaucracy?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

But if you already know the airfield is fake, your putting lives at risk with this gimmick strike, in addition to wasted resources to conduct it. You've also just let the enemy know you aren't falling for their deception! Better to deceive the deceiver imo

It's a pretty good morale/propaganda move though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

Mil Hist squad, I need your help. 13 year old nephew needs a book for Christmas. He loves WWII, tanks, and building models of WWII tanks. Any ideas of what would be a good book for the guy?

Something to prevent wherabooism asap.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Yeah, I think it's important to give war hungry teenagers as much military history as they can handle. The deeper they go the more things they'll encounter that make them go "Jesus Christ, this is awful". This thread is a great example of that effect. More education is always better, trying to hide stuff is what causes the bad poo poo. Battlefield 1 was ahistorical because ww1 wasn't fun, you have to know about military history to know it is awful.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can't possibly stop youngsters from getting interested in war, sometimes they can be inexplicably drawn to it, and it's too important to ignore, so the best you can do is properly inform them accurately.

Yeah, exactly. You can't stop them being interested, and you can't try and tell them war is bad, you just have to give them enough information that they realise themselves that war is actually awful and should be avoided at all costs.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

"Lost surprise attack against unarmed merchant ship by shooting self in own periscope with torpedo" has to be the most embarrassing way to die to be honest.

Not only that, but literally none of the torpedoes exploded: they got killed by their own dud!

Efb

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Nenonen posted:

A part of this story that is just as amazing is how this was discovered:

Sometimes a $1 book and some internet cooperation goes a long way.

Amusingly enough, getting hoisted by your own torpetard happened often enough and in many navies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tang_(SS-306)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tullibee_(SS-284)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Trinidad_(46) (a destroyer, not submarine)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-377

And there could be more, but there are many subs that were lost and cause of sinking never revealed.

Then there is this blurp from March 24, 1918

But there's also this article from 1995!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-torpedo-that-thinks-its-a-boomerang-1600329.html

Oh yeah, torpedoes are dangerous as hell, but there's something particularly degrading about being killed by a dud torpedo. Especially when you fired it, and especially when your target was hit by two duds and was completely fine.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

'On tonights show we're refighting the Invasion of Kislev. One team will be Archeon the Everchosen fighting for the Blood God vs Magnus the Pious's Empire Forces. Over now to our team in the field who will show us all exactly how a Dwarven Steamtank is used.'

A popular YouTube channel did actually play a battle in TW Warhammer using the time commander format. If you can tolerate ~YouTube personalities~ you might get a kick out of it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yenXG5sfq14

There's a part 2 as well, but that should be linked in the description.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

At what point do you cross the line from a simple act of civil disobedience to actively organizing tactics to thwart the police and fight back? I know those tactics are what can make the action more effective, but how do you reconcile things with more moderate people who only signed up to do a sit-in and maybe wave some signs when other members are talking about using bike chains to disable lights? Seems like that'd scare people off.

And how do you make "leaderless committees" work without devolving into a mess of people talking against eachother?

That line usually gets crossed when the police start hurting people.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Nenonen posted:

DDR's radio, like so many other European broadcasters in the 1980's, sent BASIC programs at night via radio waves as digital buzz that listeners could record on a C-cassette and then load on their personal computer. This has always struck me as interesting, as DDR didn't seem like a place where computers were easily available.

I've heard anecdotes that there were a lot of western computers making their way in to east Germany via west Germany through paths such as family holidays.

Splode fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 20, 2016

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

He is also almost definitely a nazi.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

The war on Christmas continues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cythereal posted:

As a kid I always wanted to root for the Empire because they're the ones with the giant badass starships.

Lot of imperial fascists itt.