Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

How do you keep the various military subdivisions straight? Battalion, brigade, company, corps, division ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, is that how they actually did it? Just a big honking rheostat? That's insane, that's the most ridiculously inefficient way of implementing a variable current supply they could have possibly picked.

To a degree, yes. I'm rather fuzzy on all the different flavors of electric motor, but you can adjust the amount of current in the stator windings to control the strength of the magnetic field the rotor current "pushes" against. It's much less than the full rotor current but that adjustment still has to be done via rheostat.

Vaguely related but likely of interest to the thread anyways, have the owners manuals to a WW2-era US fleet submarine. The relevant portion I want to call out is the section on the propulsion control equipment.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Polyakov posted:

Mines from 1967 to 1991.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un01zw62n70

COs of USS Samuel B. Roberts and USS Cole in the relevant time periods in a Q&A on leadership's importance during damage control.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Why did American and German torpedoes have the same laundry list of flaws going in to WW2? Was it a case of convergent evolution and no money to fully test everything during the interwar period, or did someone steal the other guy's notes?

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

my dad posted:

Holy poo poo, loophole 14... :stare:

Loophole 14 only killed officers who refused to believe the local commanders, so ... :confused:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Eela6 posted:

I have a bunch of questions about cannon in the late 18th / early, 19th century, if anyone minds taking a crack at it. How is it made? Is it something that can be made relatively ad-hoc, like musketry? (can muskets be made ad-oc? I think so but I'm not sure. Or are people mostly using rifles now?) Or do you need sophisticated facilities? Is most cannon in the colonial wars made in the Americas, or overseas and shipped over? How much training do you need to use it? What kind of ammunition does it use?

Thank you again everyone for all your answers to my and others questions.

Can't comment on artillery, but have an hour long video on gunsmithing in that time period: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Only after the mathematics was figured out, though.

Which leads to another question: how the hell were guns aimed before there was a theory on ballistics? Point it at target, fire, see if the cannonball reached it, if not then move the gun closer?

Secrets of the artilleryman's guild.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago: An Announcement

Hi folks, those of you who read my blog about the First World War, which started from effortposts I was making here a couple of years ago, probably noticed that regular updates stopped happening a while ago. There's a very simple reason for this: I don't have the time any more to keep churning out enough words every month (and it takes a lot of words) to keep it ticking over. I could do it if it were my job, but it's not, so. The Somme mud claims another casualty, but this one is at least wounded, not dead.

What I'm going to do instead is keep updating in skeleton form with the occasional longer thing when big/interesting things happen, and maybe some time down the road I'll have enough time to come back and finish the thing off properly. Thanks to everyone who read it and who bought the books.

Now we'll never find out how it ends :ohdear:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

When people talk about encrypted/coded messages over the radio in WW2, what does that actually mean? It is it like, you write down your message, jumble the letters according to your cipher, broadcast the letters in morse [?], the receiver gets the jumbled letters, and then they decrypt?

And then, in the case of the need for real-time voice transmissions, are those always in plain spoken-word, such that anyone on the same frequency can hear you ordering your tanks to wheel around (assuming they had the frequency and spoke the language)?

There was also Hellschreiber as a sort of radio fax machine for text. The chief advantage was presumably not needing to know morse. I don't know how prevalent its use was.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Pikes, square, line, and James Burke.
:allears:

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Owlkill posted:

So I've been getting quite into family tree research and have managed to track one particular branch back to the late 17th/early 18th century, where one of my many times-great grandfathers has his profession listed as "gunsmith". I realise this is quite a broad question given the limited info I can provide but I wonder if anyone can tell me more about this trade at this time. This person was born in 1675 and worked in the northwest of England, in Cheshire and Lancashire. What would this industry have been like at this time? I realise this is pre-industrial revolution so would this have been quite a "cottage" industry? presumably tinkering with gunpowder and making guns that don't blow up in people's faces means this would have been quite a skilful trade? And would the same people who made hunting pieces etc be making the weapons the army would have used?

Abusing this to repost an awesome video of 18th(?) century gunsmithing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

xthetenth posted:

But they're really long lead time items.

Compared to the timescale of other modern military acquisition programs? Nah.