Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Splode posted:

Is it the panther or the tiger that's gears break before it runs out of fuel. I can never remember.

During WW2, I've seen a lot of off hand mentions of enemy equipment being captured and used. How did the various belligerents go about this? Specifically, how did they avoid friendly fire incidents? Were there a bunch of panzer IVs with red stars painted on them?

Yep, even panthers and tigers. There's a picture somewhere around of a row of Panthers with white (not red) stars haphazardly painted on the sides of the turrets, surrounded by soviet tank crews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Empress Theonora posted:

It's more like "the Sherman is literally the only tank I can identify by sight because I'm a WW2 equipment dunce", actually.

edit: are there, like, ww2 tank flashcards or something. i'm kind of embarrassed i can't even tell a t-34 from a....... well, that's the only tank i can name.

Bask in it.

It also has a second version with a fat turret but it's not as aesthetic.

also an early version with a pointy turret, also not aesthetic

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Koramei posted:

why does it have an eagle on it? i thought those were always associated with nobility/ monarchy

That would be a polish eagle!

The polish eagle did have a crown on which was far too bourgeois for the soviets, so that got taken off, but the heraldic icon was still an eagle.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I enjoyed the Brothers in Arms games because they were as much about pointing and shouting as they were about actually shooting anybody. I liked SWAT 4 for the same reason. More FPS games need to be about pointing and shouting, in my opinion.

Also, tankchat caused me to remember that the KV-2 existed, which in my opinion looks like one of those tanks that probably ought to be fake (or at least a goofy prototype that never saw combat) but I guess nope, it was out there.

KV-2 is so cute.

It was also the tank that stopped a german column on it's lonesome near Raisenai, though I think I remember on EE's blog that the original source doesn't mention if it's a KV-1 or KV-2 so maybe that's wrong.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm thinking of running a game of Black Powder that has all the divisions commanded by Goons (on both sides) - with everything going through emails and messages moving via riders. I want to recreate as much of the fog of war as possible - I'm not sure HOW often to make the messengers get lost, or how fast to make them move yet, but the planning stage is there.

This sounds awesome.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, when you have one road through a marsh and a giant column of vehicles, any tank that could reliably penetrate any of the tank therein would've been successful at that. I remember it ran out of ammo, which is why the crew ended up abandoning it and withdrawing.

The story I read was that they were attacked at night by pioneers and found dead within the vehicle in the morning.

quote:

Also, the KV-2 did not like any terrain that wasn't flat.

But it's so cute.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

P-Mack posted:

So I'm playing HOI4 as France, and this game is making me think that the Maginot line was actually cool and good. Am I wrong?

It did exactly what it was meant to do, which was to force the Germans to not attack directly across the border. As for missing the Ardennes, the forest was considered more or less impassable, since attempts to go through it had been made in WW1 and ended in disaster. And, to be fair, it was pretty impassable; they created what was at the time (maybe still is?) the world's largest traffic jam trying to get everything through the few good routes that were available, and it took something like two weeks for everyone to get through.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

P-Mack posted:

We're the French just totally in the dark while this traffic jam was developing? What stopped them from loving the Germans up before they got themselves through the forest and sorted out on the other side?

My memory of it was that they were aware of it, but for one a huge fuckoff forest gives you loads of places to keep out of the eyes of recon, so they didn't realise just how much was coming through the obvious logistical nightmare, were reluctant to commit their own men to a logistical nightmare, and had trouble hitting it via air so close to germany's border where their air-force could intercept them (I think they lost something like 50 planes trying to bomb the trail).

EDIT: Oh, and equally the German airforce had good local air superiority; there were reinforcements moving to meet what was assumed to be a relatively small force when they left, but they were moving very slowly, mostly at night, to avoid luftwaffe attack.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 2, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

HEY GAL posted:

the miniatures game? only if our little dudes really exist on a table somewhere and Grey Hunter takes pictures of them every so often

But doesn't show anyone until the end at which point we see why half the army marched off a cliff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's 100% for sure a KV-1, but it had an extra guy along for the ride, so everyone thinks it was a KV-2.

Ah, I can see where that'd be confusing.

any idea why the extra dude was there? Just some straggler?

quote:

"Tank destroyers vs. towed guns vs. just give every Sherman a 76 mm gun" is as common and uncreative topic as "hey have you guys heard about that bear" and "Gay Black Hitler"

I don't want to restart The Wars but is there a link to when this discussion was happening? It's a topic I did hit on a few months ago and wanted some opinions on but didn't want to poke the nest :shobon:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

P-Mack posted:

Thanks for the in depth summary. The above is what I did in HOI, managed to hold the line until the yanks showed up.

Would it be fair to say that the invasion of France, and Russia for that matter, depended heavily on the defenders making a poo poo ton of mistakes, large and small? I just get the impression that gay black Hitler is really facing an uphill fight just to reproduce Germany's historical performance, let alone do that and also add that one weird trick wehraboos think would win the war.

Enormously, yep!

I remember a lengthy article somewhere about how if the western allies had just invaded Germany during the funny war they'd have probably blown right through them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

It's really interesting, reading the link, how back in 2011 the thread was full of death-traps, every german tank is a tiger style wisdom.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

pthighs posted:

Can someone explain what was so special about that extra millimeter between the 76mm and 75mm?

I mean I get it upped the penetrating power but was there a muzzle velocity change as well or something? Otherwise I don't see how a single mm makes a difference.

Yeah, the major change wasn't actually the calibre but the fact the gun was way longer. The panther's gun was 75mm but it had a barrel length almost twice that of the 76mm sherman, with accordingly higher speed rounds, and consequently higher KE.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

If the question was "Did the extra millimetre matter", then not really, no; there's no reason a longer 75mm with higher-powered ammo wouldn't behave basically the same. The fact they were different guns did matter, though, since you couldn't just make the existing 75mm longer.

Following on from my earlier soviet T-34, I know very little about the soviet polish army, Berling's army; anyone got any good material on that?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Plan Z posted:

Yeah I mean considering that the picture depicts four vehicles, two chassis, three guns, and two turrets, I couldn't blame anyone.

Doesn't even include the hellcat.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

As a thought that just struck me, is the increased amount of mechanisation, as well as the increasingly lighter weight of body armour, a factor in the increased adoption of it in military use? WW2 practically nobody has body armour, but they're also just expected to be walking wherever they're meant to be, right? I figure if your assumption is that you're going everywhere via carriers, airlifts, and that kind of stuff, then maybe making everyone heavier is less of a problem. Or am I completely wrong?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

As others have said, the total weight carried per soldier has generally been the same since ever as humans haven't changed much. Lighter body armor is kinda why it has been put into practice as it has to have a certain level of protection given for a certain amount of weight. Like in WW2 you possibly could have given dudes rifle-protective breastplates, but they would have weighed far too much and often not made much of a difference anyway due to getting shot in the extremities or the face. (See: Kelly Gang from 19th century Australia :australia:) That's before you get into the whole thing of artillery, mortars and etc.

However the existence of the APC/IFV being a core part of the squad structure has led to soldiers being a bit more overloaded than they have been in the past as the vehicle is supposed to take them the big distances. I recall reading about some complaints in Iraq that US soldiers had no chance of chasing down insurgents as they have what, 30kg of gear on them? While Johnny Insurgent has his civvies, an AK and two magazines that he is carrying.

However the bigger thing I'd say that has lead to more body armor being made is that the armies have been getting smaller.

Body armor for half a million is doable. Body armor for 3million, not so much. Just look at the soviets who were still just rocking a helmet and shirt for several decades after WW2.

Mind you this isn't my area so I could be wrong but since the new thread doctrine is :justpost:...

Wow, that's really interesting too. Thanks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just had a disturbing thought.

What if this myth persists simply because it is easier to remember the bullshit rather than explain it. This might explain a lot of things with these kind of myths.

I think this is probably true, yeah. I run into it a lot with science stuff, which is a thing I'm actually qualified to correct people on :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Doubtful, since again you're not creating enough of a pressure difference by missing with a projectile. You might react instinctively by going to ground because you heard (or saw) a projectile coming your way /passing you by, but you're not getting dizzy or knocked off your feet by a miss.

Does it have an explosive round, or something similar? If some of the shrapnel hit someone in the leg or something they might think they'd been hit full-on and go down, maybe.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Sorry to repeat a question, but anyone got much on the 1st Polish army/Polish I Corps? It's really easy to get polish army stuff... If you want the II Corps, but the soviet-organised army is much harder to dig up info on.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Fangz posted:

Can someone explain what exactly happens in a tank when it is penetrated by an anti tank shell? What actually 'takes out' the tank?

Is it the ammunition cooking off? Overpressure killing the crew? The crew directly being killed by spalling/fragments and the survivors deciding to bail out?

Yes.

Less facetiously there's multiple ways of knocking out tanks, and nowadays there's even three "kill" categories. IIRC they're "mobility kill", "fire kill", and "catastrophic kill", being "We can't move", "we can't shoot", and "the tank and/or crew is lots of little pieces" respectively.

In WW2 stuff you run into loads of ways a tank has been "killed", and many of them are done in such a way that the vehicle can later be killed again. Off the top of my head, I've read about tanks being abandoned because they've lost mobility (and the crew don't want to sit around and await death), tanks being taken out by the shell killing everyone inside, spalling wounding people inside who decide to leg it, shells getting jammed in the turret ring which cause the crew to bail, tanks getting hit by smoke grenades and thinking they've caught fire and abandoning it, ammunition cook-offs, slower-burning fires...

It's worth noting a huge amount of vehicles that list "fire" as the cause of loss were probably actually "taken out" by a different hit, but it's hard for the other guys to know your vehicle is abandoned or the crew inside are dead, so tanks were often shot until they caught fire since that made sure they were dead.

There's a russian soldier interview somewhere where he notes that their tank went over a mine and the suspension blew off, so they just decided to abandon it and return on foot when someone came around asking awkward questions and they all agreed their tank had been hit and caught fire so they'd had to abandon it. An inspection of the field after showed their tank had indeed been hit and caught fire, because nobody had told the germans there wasn't anyone in it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

Czech Tanks at the start of WW2 were notorious for having terrible spalling because the plates were rather brittle high-hardness stuff and everything was riveted.

I used to wonder why the hell anything was riveted, but I realised a year or two ago it was probably quite a while before tanks existed that were both up against really high kinetic impacts and had armour enough to survive penetration anyway. Like, getting hit with a rifle probably isn't going to cause massive rivet failures, but at the same time since you've got like 20mm of armour everywhere anything like a .50 cal or an antitank rifle is just going to go in anyway. In an environment where weapons are pretty all-or-nothing rivets probably don't seem that bad.

I'm probably completely wrong but it made sense.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not sure, but at that point its not overpressure anyways so :shrug:

Oh, sure, I'm just wondering if they might've seen someone hit by what's basically a small grenade going off by then and misunderstood what happened.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Can someone talk a little about the change from rifled to smooth? I always thought the rifling was to give stability through spinning. Are the rounds themselves stabilizing now?

Yes. That's what the fins are for, to stabilise it in flight.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Also a 93-ton tank is 20 tons heavier than a jagdtiger, but somehow still half the weight of the maus! :v:

I wonder how the track's going to look. Are they just going to make them the width of a small car or are things in "what is ground pressure?" territory?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you define "good" as having the heaviest armored vehicle ever deployed, hell yeah, eat poo poo Jadgtiger

Still loses to maus :v:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

bewbies posted:

To expand a bit more the developers aren't idiots, they put a ton of work into analyzing all of the mobility and sustainment requirements for what we have taken to calling jabba the tank. I don't know any details but they seemed...less pessimistic than you'd have thought.

It is basically being built for one mission, and that is an offensive type operation in eastern Europe, and there basically wasn't a way to do it without more passive armor (apparently, I really don't know much about APS options and how they perform versus modern missiles although the inference is...not well at all). There was also sort of the general theme that this was the end of the line for the Abrams and with it probably tanks as we know them which has all sorts of interesting implications.

:smith:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I remember someone saying that artillery in games always sucks because if artillery was as effective as it is in real life and you had the precision of targetting and battlefield awareness that you did as someone playing a PC game artillery would be all you need.

I guess we're moving towards that kind of battlefield.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phanatic posted:

1. Any round will precess/nutate a little bit. As the projectile length:diameter ratio increases, the degree of spin required to keep precession to an acceptable degree becomes impractically high. For a kinetic penetrator, you want to maximize cross-sectional density, which means increasing length:diameter ratio, which means you reach a point where spin-stabilization doesn't work anymore and you use a fin-stabilized projectile at which point you go smoothbore.

2. Spinning a HEAT round is counterproductive because it serves to disperse the penetrator jet. If you're using a rifled barrel you can use slip bands on your HEAT rounds that allow them to leave the barrel without much spin, but if you have a smoothbore barrel you don't need to worry about that.

Literally everything we've procured for decades has been procured with the assumption that we'll have air supremacy in the area of conflict. Which is sort of bad as soon as we have to do anything more important than Operation Bomb Useless Dirt because the USAF is the smallest it's been since it was part of the Army, we don't really have any mobile SAM platform worth talking about, and we cut the F-22 buy in favor of a bunch of F-35s that will never be anything more than acceptable. The Russians have been doing spectacularly effective things with rocket artillery in Ukraine and we have let a lot of our capabilities go without much attention for far too long.

Isn't that what patriot missiles are for?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

Okay, so.

First we have Rolled Homogeneous Armor which is commonly shortened down to RHA. This is exactly what it sounds like and is just simply steel with a certain range of qualities that you cut, weld, rivet, bend, etc into the desired shape of armor that you want. RHA can have quite a few variables such as ductility, hardness, high-hardness heat treating, and much more. These qualities will determine how it deals with penetrations, non-penetrations, sharp-nose impacts, repeated impacts, blunt-nose impacts, smaller shells, larger shells and so on. Material quality of the steel is extremely important and running out of things like Molybdenum will cause big problems for you. However the basic rule of thumb here is "more is better" so 50mm of RHA is going to be not nearly as good as 100mm of RHA.

Cast Armor is steel that has instead been cast into shape instead of forged. This apparently makes it not as strong as RHA but makes getting those lovely curved shapes that cause deflections (See Soviet soup-bowl turrets T-54 and onwards) possible. Both of these are very basic technologies by this point and not up to the task of protecting a tank. Consider how much 200mm of RHA must weigh, and that most basic HEAT weapons can go through 300mm of RHA easily, well plain old steel can't deliver anymore.

Next however we get to Spaced Armor which is either of the above that has a gap in between two plates. This gap will cause HEAT jets to dissipate and can create significant lateral forces on APDS and APFSDS that make them shatter or lose energy. Spaced armor works in a pinch even to this day, but it was always much better against HEAT than KE, which soon saw similar development, reaching +400mm RHA equivalent numbers. Against such, the KE round will just punch through the two plates and the gap with no problem. However it dies help against smaller rounds. For example the Germans put 5mm skirts on their tanks to protect against 14.5mm AT-rifle fire as the skirt would deform the bullet and make it fail against the main armor. A modern example is the "slat armor" that you see on nearly everything in the middle east to protect against the very common RPG-7.

So what to do? Now we get to Composite Armor where we start adding things like rubber, aluminium-silica glass, fiberglass, ceramics, DU, and other things to fill the space in spaced armor. This is where stuff starts getting very complex (and classified!:nsa:) but broadly speaking this armor type works by making the penetrator go through a mixture of materials. This causes the penetrator, HEAT or KE, to start "refracting" and get bent out of shape due to it existing int multiple phases at the same time. "Combination-K", "Super Dolly Parton" and "Chobham" are all examples of this.

Next we get to Non-Explosive Reactive Armor often called NERA. NERA composite armor that is designed to change while under attack in order to counter the penetration in more ways than just a static block. Imagine that you take a big straight-line punch at someone with all of your strength. But, before your fist connects they hit you on your elbow causing it to fold inward. Now it's only your fist and forearm that is "on target" while the real power, your body mass and power merely crumples in a different direction. Same principle applies here. For example, the turret facing of T-72B tanks have arrays of high-hardness plates of RHA surrounded by rubber. When the round hits, the plates will get penetrated, but then the rubber will cause them to vibrate back and forth laterally and repeatedly, introducing shear force on KE rounds which hopefully makes them fragment and the compression and decompression of the penetrator as it breaks through the layers also plays a part. Against HEAT this kind of armor is even more effective as the constant high-low density changes play havoc with HEAT cone formation. Nearly all tank armor these days is some kind of NERA.

Finally we get to Explosive Reactive Armor which operates on the same principle. However instead of using differing materials in an array to move steel plates around on a hit, they just use high explosives to cause a much more energetic effect. Basically, angled plates sit in a box surrounded by explosives in an "N" shape. When they are hit, they detonate and push these plates into the penetrator from several directions. This stuff is extremely effective against HEAT, but only certain kinds add to KE protection. Russian Kontackt-1 and 5 are good examples of each. The problem with this stuff is that it's basically coating your tank in frag-grenades which is no good for your supporting infantry.

Also keep in mind that modern tanks also have all this fancy stuff concentrated on the front only as it's simply too heavy to armor the sides as well. As an example the Cheiftain Mk.3 would have 200 to +400mm RHA on it's front (including armor angles here too) but only a paltry 50mm on the sides. This can be improves a little by putting ERA blocks here, but against KE threats there is not much to be done aside from "don't get shot".

There's also the various new "hard-kill'" types of "armour" which work by shooting the rounds as they get near, and stuff like that. I think they're mainly for missiles, but I've seen some talk about shooting down HEAT too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thank you for this! It's very comprehensive.

So to be clear, the Polish army was kind of a soviet army that dressed up like a Polish one? I'm assuming the kit would've been the same, or did they bring loads of polish rifles and such with them too? Edit: Actually if they didn't have loads of captured materiel, how did they get all the uniforms?

EDIT: Spec forgets to shorten big posts.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 6, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TerminalSaint posted:

To expand on that question, at what point do we switch over entirely to remotely operated tanks or tankettes? Ditching the crew compartment might open up some interesting design possibilities.

South Korea's looked into this, IIRC.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Tevery Best posted:

The gear was 100% Soviet-spec. The uniforms were made in the USSR based on those taken from POWs, but it's not hard to reverse-engineer a uniform. And even then, some uniform pieces (e.g. helmets and overcoats) were Soviet-spec.

As for whether it was a Soviet army dressed up to look Polish - that's kind of a political question? Certainly it was overwhelmingly made up of Poles, not Soviets, aside from a large part of the mid- and high-ranking officer corps. The London government denounced it as Soviet, because it did not recognise its authority (and rejecting the legal government is a serious strike against the unit in this regard). Unlike the Polish forces in the West, which at least nominally were subordinate to the Polish Commander-in-Chief and were legally forces of an independent and legal government (even if in practice they operated like British units), the 1st Army did not answer to any sort of Polish political authority, its only superiors were the Soviet army headquarters. We can also note that at least a large part of its soldiers - if not the majority - did not share its political outlooks or goals.

But fundamentally, it boils down to how you define "a Polish army".

That sounds like what I'd meant; apologies if I phrased it in an offensive way.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Xerxes17 posted:

I recall reading in Anthony Beevor's Berlin that the Navodchiks (artillery spotters) consider themselves to be snipers but with much bigger guns.

Sounds accurate.

Trin Tragula posted:

Short answer: yes, everywhere on every front where there's trench warfare, every so often there's a ping as some idiot gets up on the fire-step to let a working party come through the narrow trench, forgets to duck down, and catches the wrong bloke's eye at 500 yards. That particular loophole is such an obvious target, high on the highest hill, that it almost certainly has one or more sniper posts that were put there to cover it and with standing orders that your first priority is to immediately shoot any fucker who opens it, and given the accuracy it's probable that the main post covering it has a fixed rifle.

Longer answer: :words:

This is super interesting, but I keep reading thing below the sniper's elbows in the diagram as "Bear".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

For what purpose?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

MrMojok posted:

OK tankophiles, I know of no better place to ask this.

My Dad just texted me raving about "Fury", a movie I have been wanting to watch. He told me a bit about the plot, and when he got to the point about "lone tank holding off 300 Wehrmacht troops" I said something like "RIP, boys"

I am no armor-head, but it has always been my understanding that a single tank without supporting infantry vs enemy infantry is pretty much hosed. Then Dad says "Yeah Hollywood, but something like this did really happen" and quotes the wiki article about the film, which claims that the film was inspired by a story in "Death Traps", a book which I haven't read, but have heard mentioned in these milhist threads several times. Wiki says it was a disabled(!?) tank that had a bunch of German troops walk up on it without spotting it at night, and the next morning the tank was still there and alive with lots of dead Germans around it.

Can anyone tell me about this? Cursory googling leads me to believe the story is possibly apocryphal, but I don't know.

I'm going to watch the film regardless based on his recommendation, but I find it difficult to believe a single tank with no supporting infantry of its own could hold its own against large numbers of infantry then, now, or ever. They cannot even see well enough out of the tank, to defend themselves. Am I correct, naive, or maybe just ignorant?

Also, what did you folks think of the film overall, if anyone saw it?

I haven't seen Fury yet, outside of clips, but I've been told everyone in it is meant to be hitlerjugend-tier SS who're big on fanaticism and low on training. It'd explain the tiger fight (except for the whole "we have to shoot it from behind!" thing).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's more like the SS troops in Fury aren't supposed to represent real people. Neither is the Tiger supposed to represent a real tank.

Also, even if you need to sperg about Fury, the tank is supposed to be a Tiger II.

That would explain why it couldn't be shot from the front but a 76mm sherman would go clean through KT side armour too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

MrMojok posted:

Sorry, was tanks trying to maneuver around to shoot each other in the rear end not a real thing?

The main thing is that the 76mm Sherman could go through a tiger I's armour from the front. It can go through the side of the king tiger as well as the rear, as well, because they're both pretty much the same thickness. In short, either fury could've opened up from where they were sat (if it was a tiger I), or would've been fine with a side shot (if it's a II). Of course, there's plenty of reasons why they wouldn't; not wanting to sit still, for instance, or they could just have panicked and forgotten, which sounds entirely plausible. I'm not really trying to :goonsay: about the physics of it, just nitpicking about tank numbers in the milhist thread.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Likely, even. How likely is it that a tanker at the time would remember the minutiae of Tiger I versus Tiger II side armour in a situation like that, even if they realised it was a Tiger II and not a I, as opposed to thinking 'we've got one shot at this we've gotta make it a rear shot or we might be toast'. Not to mention this isn't binary, it's not like it's 100% certain a side shot would work on a I, just more likely, so even then hitting it on the rear is more of a sure thing.

Again, not to be terrible and nitpick, but the tiger I and II looked really dissimilar, to the point where soviet intelligence assumed the Tiger II was an improved Panther. The boxy look of the Tiger I is completely gone.

More importantly, the tiger I and II have almost identical side and rear armour (82mm vs 80mm respectively), and they're both the same thickness all the way around; in fact on both the I and II the rear plate is more angled than the side plates, so the rear armour is effectively thicker (though in the Tiger I's case, by very little. Tiger II gets something like 20mm out of it, though).

This is all :goonsay: and not really relevant to the film, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Huh, was that based on intelligence reports or actual frontline experiences? I'd always kind of assumed that the Ferdinand was another white elephant (:v:) like the Sturmtiger or Jagdtiger, produced only in small numbers and with such reliability and mobility issues that it never really made a meaningful impact anywhere.

You can compare this to the T-34 and KV-1, though; even if the tank isn't actually accomplishing very much because of strategic factors, the existence of a capability that could be dramatic generally prompts a move to counter it, as was the case with the Panther, or Britain's experiences with the Tiger prompting the creation of things like the Archer, Avenger/Challenger, and Firefly.