Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A question- how do submariners avoid going insane? How do navies decide which people will be able to cope with hours crammed inside a boat designed to sink, and do they ever get it wrong...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hogmartin posted:

I've just now found the new thread and haven't read through it all yet, but I will answer your question from back in the dim mists of like two weeks ago (presuming that it hasn't already been answered) because this is like literally the one thing that I'm actually qualified to have an opinion on.

The US Navy's submariners are all volunteer. I don't know about other navies, but in the US you cannot be assigned to a submarine unless you request it. There was a kind of 100-question psych questionnaire* but mostly I guess they figure that if you actually ask to be put on a submarine, you're probably gonna work out. Actually being underway is kind of easy street, you have an 18-hour routine that you fall into. Being back in port is kind of worse because you get to go goof off on liberty but you need to be back inside that HY-80 steel bitch again tomorrow and it's hanging over you. Underway you just do your job, because where are you going to go? It's far more likely that you'll be standing watch with an incompetent waste of skin than with someone who's going to go completely bugnuts and try to crawl his way up the forward escape trunk 250 feet underwater.

I did an effort-ish post back in the old milhist thread about submarine life, I'll dig it up if you care. Your question has probably been answered in like page 14 and I just haven't read to that point yet.

* one of the questions was "I sometimes pretend I am dead and nobody can see or hear me (y/n)".

Thanks for the reply! Nothing this detailed has been posted yet, unless I've missed it.
That line about "you just do your job because where are you going to go" is, well, kind of amazing. In a claustrophobic sort of way...
It'd be cool if that old post could be dug up.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MrYenko posted:

Boy have I got a thread for you...

Thanks! Had a quick glance at the thread. Worth it just for the bit about whales viewing subs as the retarded mute step cousin no one talks about....
Also it'll be unteresting to see the same subject from two different view points.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
When I was a kid I viewed the Nazis as cartoonish supervillains; as the years passed I grew to see the shades of grey in the situation; and after six months of reading this one thread I've come back around to the cartoonish villains idea.....

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HEY GAL posted:

he was frozen, op.

and i don't know if he believed it about himself but everyone around him definitely did, in Quartermaster Deodati's account of Luetzen he mentions quite straightforwardly, "yeah the general-in-chief was at the head of his troops, a musket ball hit him but didn't go through, this happened loads of times, it's normal for him"

edit: general shot, so what

Okay, this is literally the worst milhist question ever, but I have a 5 year old daughter, and so: is it possible that this concept of "frozen" nobles with their weird battlefield abilities inspired a certain recent Disney movie of the same name......

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Josef bugman posted:

Has anyone read "The face of battle" I was recommended it as a good introductory book to the idea of what it was like to be part of an actual battle.

I gave it a good skim-read at a friend's house and really enjoyed it. It covered precisely the sorts of things I always wanted to know but which no one else seems to cover such as, what is it actually like to be at the pointy end of a Napoleonic volley, and what does a medieval melee actually look like- are the guys at the back just sort of standing around, etc.
The book covers Agincourt, Waterloo & the Somme, if you're interested in those particular eras.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sullat posted:

Basically, the way it worked for the Sumerians was that there were a bunch of feuding city-states. Even though they were very similar culturally & linguistically, they were perpetually at odds. Each city-state ruled itself and the farmlands around it. The land and government in theory was controlled by the temples, although in practice there were certainly quasi-hereditary positions and powerful families interested in expanding their own influence within the state. Anyway, each city-state could call upon its own citizens for labor, both for civilian projects and for military adventures. Most of these military adventures involved rolling up to the neighboring city-states and demanding tribute; if they refused you got to fight them (or just steal their crops if they declined to fight). The winner would demand tribute, usually in the form of grain, silver, or labor. Also sometimes, slaves. Then everyone went home. The next year, you demanded tribute from the losers you beat up the previous year... sometimes they paid up to avoid a fight, sometimes you had to fight for it again.

There really needs to be a board game of this-!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I was wincing the whole time I read that.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HEY GAIL posted:

hey i was at stralsund all weekend, fun fact: the witstock mass grave and a soldiers' grave from Neu-Brandenburg both evince that soldiers during the 30yw ate more meat than civilians but were in terrible health in other ways, such as parasites and mucous membrane inflammations

I can't read German, does "parasitenbefall" mean what I think it does...?

Anyway, just got back from seeing Dunkirk. (Loved it.) I was wondering, in reality, were hospitals and hospital ships etc considered "fair game" at this stage of the war, or did both sides generally refrain from blowing up anything with a big red cross on it?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is there any particular reason these bombers are referred to as "ships"?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A question: could there ever have been a Walloon dragoon platoon armed with spadroons? Bonus pts if they became marooned at some point.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Siivola posted:

I've seen an argument made that before the word "spadroon" came to refer to the notorious British 1796 infantry officer's sword, it was used to mean a light cut-and-thrust sword in general. One style of those is called the "Walloon sword", after the distinctive light basket hilt that's said to originate from that area.

So there may well have been a Walloon spadroon. That's just wonderful. I really hope they were used by dragoons...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Libluini posted:

A Korvettenkapitän called Albert Hopman told Tirpitz 1905 that his plan could not possible work and basically predicted exactly what happened in WWI. In 1912, Admiralstabschef August von Heeringen simulated what would happen if Hochseeflotte and the British Fleet fought each other in a potential war ("Kriegsspiel"). The leader playing the Royal Navy was ordered to play like a wimp, and the leader of the German side was ordered to play like a speed runner, trying to force a decisive battle as soon as possible.

(Thanks for the repost Trin...)

This is a fascinating paragraph- how were simulations carried out at this time? I'm picturing something like an enormous and hideously complicated tabletop wargame, and I hope with all my heart this was the case.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Fantastic! It'd be great to read more about crazy Prussian wargames. Particularly if they hold any resemblence to modern wargaming. (The image of a cluster of dour commodores scrabbling for D20s is too good to pass up.)

Nebakenezzer posted:

Amerika Bombers 1944: Ragnarocky Road

Finished a new Amerika bomber post. I'm proud of this one because I think my heading titles are good.

There's something about a swastika-daubed, burnt-out behemoth smeared across an otherwise perfectly useful field that feels very Nazi.jpg to me...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just when I think I've expunged all the Real Time Strategy "knowledge" from my brain, I find out that "battleships are strong vs aircraft." Now I don't know what to believe.
On that note, when I was 10, a poorly-captioned illustration had me thinking that pikemen were mounted troops.....

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Thanks so much! I've been wondering about this stuff for years, what a fantastic find.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phi230 posted:

A guy at Waterloo survived 52 sabre cuts, 2 gunshot wounds and was grazed by a cannon ball

He passed out from blood loss and continued fighting after waking up

I'm trying to imagine being "grazed" by a cannonball. Surely that would mess a human being up in a variety of ways.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Definitely sharing this with my town band, thanks. For a moment I assumed they were melting down precious, precious trombones to make bullets and felt a bit unwell.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sad story, but the most decorated military trombone in US history was melted down in 1958, after fund-raising efforts failed to gather enough money to purchase it from the navy.

Well, I wasn't expecting to read that sequence of words. For what does a musical instrument receive decorations? And are these actual physical additions to the instrument, or a bit of ribbon stuck on its case, or... so many questions...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Stairmaster posted:

Supporting a centaur army would probably be a logistical nightmare

Noted authority on equanthropic logistics C. S. Lewis wrote that asking a centaur to breakfast is as really bad idea; it taskes hours to fill both stomachs...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

tonberrytoby posted:

One of my favorite science fiction series has most battles take part in hyperspace, which is two dimensional.

I'm currently five pages behind on the thread, but which series is this? Sounds mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Alchenar posted:

This hopefully explains why the history of most warfare isn't 10 guys on each side with full plate mail and repeating crossbows staring at each other.

Oh wow, you found my sketch books from high school!