Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everyone's grandma has those plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kemper Boyd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWDCDJD_4w This dude is even more annoying than Lindybeige.
Are there any of these guys, besides Matt/scholagladiatoria, that don't instantly fill normal people with the urge to give them a swirly?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Soviet Airborne Experience is my tankie dream pop band.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Taerkar posted:

Airborne operations also typically required them to be provisioned to be able to fight for X number of days without any real resupply until the ground forces reach them. The problem then becomes when they're down there for 2X days and it turns out that the supplies that they have only are good enough for X/2 days.

And a general lack of heavier weapons (Tanks, big guns, etc).
Well, why hasn't somebody just combined airborne with mobile artillery???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

You mean like what the Sheridan and Stingray were supposed to be?
They made too many compromises. Just get a really big parachute and put it on a M109.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I always wondered how those "internal suspenders" actually worked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Coldwar timewarp posted:

I mean a war game is problematic in its self, but if you are going to have war games I don’t know why having a German tank crew or airman is a problem. That there wasn’t one in battlefield 1 is weird.
I get your point, but the designers must be at least vaguely aware that there's an online far-right community that will abuse it for propaganda.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I remember a time when I used to play Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. Who would have thought that flying an Me-262 in a video game meant that I was now a nazi... :(
You okay, little buddy?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

It just feels weird to say that there's a topic that is ineligible to tell stories about.
I, too, feel weird about this stricture that doesn't exist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
These "race, not economic anxiety" articles always carefully scrub the fact that turnout is in the toilet and poor people, in particular, don't vote. These news outlets need to do this because they were the same ones angsting over the White Working Class as a political monolith for months.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

bewbies posted:

I'm assuming this is a no true communist situation, and no amount of proposed or actual Chinese reforms or policies are going to satisfy whatever it is you're looking for here.
On the one hand, I don't wanna play No True Comrade. On the other hand, it's not like people are excoriating the concept of democratic republics on account of Algeria, the Congo, the DPRK, et al. And while I won't defend Stalin, it's nonsense to make straight-across comparisons between Hitler and Stalin unless they're going to rope in Churchill and delegitimize every nation with a legacy of imperialism or mass murder in the same breath.

Edit: Anyway, I played countless hours of Wolfpack as the German submarines. I think we all agree now that there's a clear line between that and those weird anime games where you can play Big Titty Waifu Himmler.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 19, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Epicurius posted:

The problem with Stalin or Hitler wasn't just that they were bad people, although they were, but that they were ruling in a system where they weren't accountable to anyone, where they were free to tyrannize the population and invade their neighbors, because there was no system in place to stop them.
The distinction I'd make is that the Third Reich had no reason to exist and nothing to sustain it without brutal suppression of internal conflict and conquest en route to extermination and plunder. (Like, after they realized their quasi-mystical notions about agronomy weren't going to make the country agriculturally self-sufficient, their economic plan was just "we'll commit genocide and steal their poo poo.") Whereas while the crimes of Stalin and Mao are inexcusable, it's not like their regimes were just the nationwide manifestation of a psychopathic death drive that burned itself out in 12 years and left their own countries in ruins.

And then there's the double standard in how most people look at these things historically. There's no Victims of Liberal Democracy Memorial Foundation or a bunch of people on the news shrieking about Pinochet whenever someone extols the virtues of free markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

The other thing to remember is that the costs were not always born by those who reaped the profits. I'm not even talking about how hosed the colonized peoples got in all this. If you add up the administrative and military expenses for a lot of colonies they exceed the profits from extraction, but those costs go to the state (and ultimately the tax payer) while the profits frequently went into the pockets of rich investors. Rich investors who, frequently, sat in parliament because that's what rich people do with their pare time, so they could pressure the government to keep supporting the colonial ventures oh so vital to their the nation's prosperity.

So Johan Burger and Tommy Taxpayer end up indirectly paying for a lot of dumb poo poo but the Hon. Lord William Fussypants III BA (Oxon) KBE DL, FRS, Esq. is making fat bank as is his German third cousin and (simultaneous) brother-in-law.

Basically you know that common refrain about how bank bailouts privatize profit and socialize risk? This is v. 1.0 of that.
It makes me think more of military contractors than the banks, but I don't doubt the banking industry is profiting off forever war in ways not immediately obvious to me.