Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I speak

English
Spanish
French

(Just had an evaluation in French last thursday, scored at a high Level 3 on the ILR scale)

I will be starting some informal study in Wolof soon and then in January I start full time Joola study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Although my Spanish has really suffered lately, I've spent almost every waking moment thinking about, reading, listening to, talking in french. Now when I try to speak spanish french words come out, also when I speak english.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
These threads are great because people will say they """""""""speak"""""""" a language when they probably have a working vocab of less than 500 words and can't follow native to native speech at normal speeds

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
A good friend of mine says he speaks english...but in reality all he can do is slowly and haltingly labor his way through sentances...putting the words together like a crippled mason laying block. All this in an accent that is almost completely unintelligible. And he always makes sure to complain that Americans are hard to understand because they "talk to fast"

Nope.. guess again doofus. That's the natural speed of the language and until you can follow it you can stop saying you speak it.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

The Bananana posted:

I'm fluent in Spanish, but as far as french goes, I tell people I know just enough to embarrass myself.

How do you define fluent?

• Locked thread