Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

See this dude?

His name is Richard Garriott/Lord British and he finally put out a followup to his hit MMORPG Tabula Rasa and it's on Steam Early Access for $44.99, but there's no more progression wipes. Many of you already have it so if you do, check it out again. If you don't and you're reading this, you're probably the type that spent $50-100+ on ArcheAge/Black Desert/Albion Online so no excuses.

Introduction to Shroud of the Avatar
:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meuys4JZZxA:siren:

quote:

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a fantasy RPG that combines a single player narrative with a sandbox MMO created by a team that includes: Richard “Lord British” Garriott the creator of the Ultima series, Starr Long the Director of Ultima Online, and Tracy Hickman the author of Dragonlance
*Selective Multiplayer Modes: Play with everyone in a single world with three different online modes (Single Player, Friends Only, and Open Online).
*Offline Mode: Players will adventure through over 40 hours of story in an interactive world where their choices during ethical paradoxes have consequences.
*Classless Character System: Vast customization options with hundreds of skills and spells in over 20 different skill trees.
*Player Driven Economy: Deep crafting system where the best items are made by players and player items are the main source of loot found in the game.
*PVP: Consensual with Open PVP flags, zones, and Guild Warfare.
*Player Housing: Non instanced, finite, and embedded in the world with multiple group living options.
Open Development: Players help shape the game by giving feedback on monthly early access releases, videos, weekly updates, blog postings, forums, chat, etc.

And a word from the creators...
Please understand that final wipe is not “launch”. We will continue to be working to finish the game’s story content well past final wipe, while we remain in Early Access. Until then, the game is neither “launched” nor complete, but as mentioned below, the concept of “launch” may not even be applicable to this development model. Launch will be when we pull the game out of Early Access and we start marketing / public relation campaigns to pull in new customers. We have no plans to do those things in July. We know that this plan will generate a lot of questions and stir up plenty of emotions, but we firmly believe this is the best possible course of action for the project.

quote:

Decent overview of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYC0dHOqizU

I'm not even going to attempt to explain the deck system. Watch this. Penalties for locking skills have been removed but eventually you will want to have multiple glyphs in a slot to eliminate cooldown times and create unpredictability in PVP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbaOBYFi8oY

quote:

Newbie guide
:siren:Join the discord server:siren:
Step 1.) Get to Ardoris and start in Soltown. The other starting locations suck. Go through the gate zones, if you die, that's totally okay because you can resurrect at the start/end of each zone so just find the exit and use the glowing ankh there.
Step 2.) Figure out what kind of character you want to build (just a general idea, don't worry too much, you can change literally everything)
Step 3.) Prioritize your skills. Get your primary attributes and skills that you'll be using up to a decent level in Soltown catacombs or do quests around the Soltown area. Unlearn skills you don't want. Set others to "not train".
Step 4.) Craft/gather as you level, crafting XP is separate from adventuring XP so it doesn't hurt your character at all to have a trade skill.
Step 5.) Group up with goons/pubbies to do Tower of the Shuttered Eye. There is a key in a loose stone behind a statue. It's pretty easy until the top floor where there are about ten enemies so you just fight them as you go back down the tower. Stick together close in your group and use your heals. If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, you can run up while the pubbies fight and get the 5 chests in the vault. Rinse and repeat every 15 minutes once you are all out of the tower. It resets and it's a great grind/moneymaker. Do this until it's no longer viable.
Step 6.) ???? This is as far as we have gotten ????
Step 7.) Join us in Estgard, guild hall is on right hand side as you walk through city gates (pictured below)

:smaug:Guild info: Add Dancing Shade or Alexander DeLarge or Node's character with the weird name, send a whisper to join the guild. We're located in Estgard.:smaug:

Join the main Something Awful Discord and read the auth instructions to join SotA VOIP/text-chat
https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

This game is janky as hell, unfinished and primarily uses Unity Store assets despite receiving nearly 10 million in crowdfunding and cryptic to a fault where you'll spend a large amount of time googling mechanics only to find that the mechanic has since overhauled and the guide you just read is completely irrelevant. A couple of us are having a lot of fun with it and if LB's followers (pictured below) haven't left yet... I have a feeling they'll always be around so at least you can count on the excellent community to eRP with you.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Second post, doubt I'll ever need it but better safe than sorry :spergin:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I've been playing this since release #1 and enjoy it thoroughly. Needs to be emphasised that it is not remotely finished and development is both active and ongoing. Unlike a lot of other "early access" games that are just scams (pick any fifty on Steam) that actually means something here and it's a proper example of it in action.

However if you are planning on going into this blind expecting some kind of WoW clone, boy did you choose the wrong game.

You're going to have a pretty bad time if you never played a game before everything had a quest marker and reading was required.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Down with the goon guild. let me know when its ready Alex.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Might be a bit longer than expected since everyone that's playing SotA is doing the first week of Albion.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Might be a bit longer than expected since everyone that's playing SotA is doing the first week of Albion.

and then there is no man's sky.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
The fact that MMO albatross Alexander DeLarge made the thread is all you really need to know about Shards of the Ancients or whatever this Game as a Service (GaaS) is called.

e: Alex rules btw

boho fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 2, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

boho posted:

Shards of the Ancients

Never heard of that one. Will have to make a thread about it once they start selling founder's packs.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
My mother in law is in town, but I will join up / contribute next week. Character is Ailde Bogle.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Someone want to take a stab at telling me how the crafting works in this game?

Orv
May 4, 2011
This entire game is one big wipe.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

Someone want to take a stab at telling me how the crafting works in this game?

You gather materials, you refine materials, you craft components out of materials, you produce a finished something out of components.

The materials you use affect the bonus stats on what you get. If you craft an exceptional item then it gets even more bonuses.

Also everything degrades slowly with use so get used to crafting :toot:

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Pretty decent player economy or is mostly drops?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

Pretty decent player economy or is mostly drops?

Drops will basically consist of a bit of gold and rusty/heavily damaged weapons. All entry level junk tier. You can buy entry level gear from NPCs like blacksmiths and so forth. That degrades over time too.

If you want anything decent you'll be crafting it or buying it from someone that already did. Also you'll be replacing it eventually so wearing out your Meteroric Iron Epic Full Plate +whatever killing baby crocodiles in a swamp for their skins isn't a good idea. Save that for high loot / high risk areas.

So yeah, player economy is everything. For now check out Owl's Head or Ardoris if you're looking to burn a few thousand gold on a sword, fancy hats or something.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 3, 2016

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Cool thanks for the info! I'm a bit of weirdo, love crafting and economy stuff. Weirdly some of the most fun I've had in MMO's was being a GM blacksmith and Tailor in UO making stuff, repairing, and shooting the breeze with other players while they anxiously handed over all their vanquishing weapons to be repaired, hoping I'd trade them back.

I watched a really terrible Youtube video of a guy doing an hour and half long video on crafting, and the systems seems pretty good. I gathered (heh) that you hit some nodes, buy some recipes, refine materials, make parts, and then finish off a product. How much of the resource gathering is going to put you in danger? Like can you make fairly high end items by getting resources in relatively safe areas or are all the really good resources going to be pvp/dungeon areas?

Texibus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 3, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Texibus posted:

Cool thanks, I'm a bit of weirdo, love crafting and economy stuff. Weirdly some of the most fun I've had in MMO's was being a GM blacksmith and Tailor in UO making stuff, repairing, and shooting the breeze with other players while they anxiously handed over all their vanquishing weapons to be repair, hoping I'd trade them back.

I watched a really terrible Youtube video of a guy doing an hour and half long video on crafting, and the systems seems pretty good. I gathered (heh) that you hit some nodes, buy some recipes, refine materials, make parts, and then finish off a product. How much of the resource gathering is going to put you in danger? Like can you make fairly high end items by getting resources in relatively safe areas or are all the really good resources going to be pvp/dungeon areas?

The latter. But If all you want is basic iron/copper/raw cotton/skins then you can get those almost anywhere.

(you'll understand once you delve into smelting or trying to make hardwoods)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

DancingShade posted:

You gather materials, you refine materials, you craft components out of materials, you produce a finished something out of components.

The materials you use affect the bonus stats on what you get. If you craft an exceptional item then it gets even more bonuses.

Also everything degrades slowly with use so get used to crafting :toot:

Time to reopen Glug Bugaluglug's powerup shop.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Checked it out last night for the first time in about a year, and they have made some awesome improvements. It still runs like rear end but the combat improvements are great.

Puffns
Jun 15, 2015
I'm not shilling. This game is pretty solid even as a single player RPG.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
I'd written this game off about 18 months ago but its actually looking really cool. I don't know if its the music, the runic alphabet or what but there's a real nice UO feel to it.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Don't make me buy this. If I grew up playing EQ, would I enjoy this?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jebediah posted:

Don't make me buy this. If I grew up playing EQ, would I enjoy this?

My first instinct was to say "no". That said, if you grew up on strawberry how would you feel about vanilla malt?

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

My first instinct was to say "no". That said, if you grew up on strawberry how would you feel about vanilla malt?

I...love all malts?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the other thread on th is game is people complaining that it sucks donkey dick and a dev that works on the game justifying everything because its alpha

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Reverand maynard posted:

the other thread on th is game is people complaining that it sucks donkey dick and a dev that works on the game justifying everything because its alpha

If you were born after the 90s this isn't the game for you.

Mind you if you never experienced the joys of 16 color EGA gaming then you never lived.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

quote:

Players will stake their claim to in-game lots and build dwellings ranging from humble cottages to towering island castles. Pre-release backers will have early access to lots as well as rewards for supporting the development.
This sounds a lot like Archeage housing system and that was a disaster.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's only a disaster if you paid real money for the lot/house.

Despite the poor reception, if I see it on sale for like $10, I'll pick it up.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Tempus had 16,000 gold removed from his account because he sold a book with a misleading title, if anyone has any spare gold, I could definitely use it towards starting the guild up. Only have about 6,000 out of the necessary 25,000

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 4, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tempus had 16,000 gold removed from his account because he sold a book with a misleading title, if anyone has any spare gold, I could definitely use it towards starting the guild up. Only have about 6,000 out of the necessary 25,000

Oh no you don't. Details please.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Node posted:

Oh no you don't. Details please.

To make the long story short, see here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582612&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post462679823

Apparently the pubbie raised a report against me, and support kindly informed me that kind of aberrant behavior was not allowed on their game and that they had removed the funds from my account and given to the "victim" My account is suspended until next week.

I still think the game paid for itself with the whole book thing and the pubbie buying it.

Sample Book:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Don't be a goon, if you can't do the time.

I still have like 2000 gold on me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tempus Thales posted:

To make the long story short, see here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582612&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=17#post462679823

Apparently the pubbie raised a report against me, and support kindly informed me that kind of aberrant behavior was not allowed on their game and that they had removed the funds from my account and given to the "victim" My account is suspended until next week.

I still think the game paid for itself with the whole book thing and the pubbie buying it.

Sample Book:

Oh, that book? How the gently caress is it the fault of anyone but the moron that paid for it? Especially 15,000 gold?

e: random edit. Is free targeting and charging your attacks worth it, or should I stick to auto targeting?

Node fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 4, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it, what's the misleading title?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

Oh, that book? How the gently caress is it the fault of anyone but the moron that paid for it? Especially 15,000 gold?

e: random edit. Is free targeting and charging your attacks worth it, or should I stick to auto targeting?

Depends on your dexterity, can you guarantee a hit? If so, charge. If not, don't.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Depends on your dexterity, can you guarantee a hit? If so, charge. If not, don't.

Why is dex behind that really terrible subterfuge skill? Some of the skill placement doesn't make sense.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

I got like 5k sitting around doing nothing right now, ill pitch in 3k.

Also: Have you thought of a guild name yet. Ye Olde Goonsquad sounds good..

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

I got like 5k sitting around doing nothing right now, ill pitch in 3k.

Also: Have you thought of a guild name yet. Ye Olde Goonsquad sounds good..

<fethers>

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gonna reinstall.

I assume archer nerds are still kinda lovely? Gotta sorta multiclass to do well if I remember right.

Puffns
Jun 15, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

Gonna reinstall.

I assume archer nerds are still kinda lovely? Gotta sorta multiclass to do well if I remember right.

Archers are bretty good because you can AOE grind large red spideys without taking any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So I shall be then. So I shall be. An Archster.