Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
what are good/bad stuff to play as, are there any trap options? The stuff in the OP stops at tower of the shuttered eye but now there's these other places? Everything's crafting, do you just get all the skills and do everything yourself or is that dumb/impossible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

30.5 Days posted:

what are good/bad stuff to play as, are there any trap options? The stuff in the OP stops at tower of the shuttered eye but now there's these other places? Everything's crafting, do you just get all the skills and do everything yourself or is that dumb/impossible?

As of right now its possible to max out every skill but it would take ages and ages. When you complete quests or kill a monster, you get experience added to your experience pool. Every time you use a skill, it draws from that pool. Higher level skills either draw more experience or take more experience to raise a level, or both. So if you had no experience in your pool, you can swing your sword all you want, you won't raise your skill in it.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

As of right now its possible to max out every skill but it would take ages and ages. When you complete quests or kill a monster, you get experience added to your experience pool. Every time you use a skill, it draws from that pool. Higher level skills either draw more experience or take more experience to raise a level, or both. So if you had no experience in your pool, you can swing your sword all you want, you won't raise your skill in it.

I just noticed that just auto attacking (not using any skills AT ALL) takes away from your pool.
I kinda find that really lame.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

I just noticed that just auto attacking (not using any skills AT ALL) takes away from your pool.
I kinda find that really lame.

Isn't it raising your innate weapon skills? Like weapon damage, weapon speed, weapon crit rate, etc.? Those are glyphs for the weapon skill trees.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

Isn't it raising your innate weapon skills? Like weapon damage, weapon speed, weapon crit rate, etc.? Those are glyphs for the weapon skill trees.

I think your right. Im trying to train for a stealth like character. Can always use more pool points.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Where can I find recipes in game? Owls Head has a few, but I'm looking for blacksmithing ones like a helm. I just have this stupid Cavalier's Hat and I want to put some plate on it, but I cannot find a recipe anywhere.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Is this game accessible to rookies who didn't pledge? No subscription fee sounds p sweet if it's true but I couldn't find the game on steam

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

killstealing posted:

Is this game accessible to rookies who didn't pledge? No subscription fee sounds p sweet if it's true but I couldn't find the game on steam

It's there, not sure why you couldn't find it, I just bought it.

I, too, am an idiot.

This game is adorable. You start the game with a book that contains a weekly schedule of community events that appears to be manually transcribed from the game's forums. That contains a link to an internet radio station and between songs they have this awful commercial for a player-created town. Some games have boasted of 1999 style mechanics but the amount of 1999 in this game is actually astonishing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I found it now, and yeah I might get it. Project Gorgon is nice, but something different might be fun too??

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

30.5 Days posted:

It's there, not sure why you couldn't find it, I just bought it.

I, too, am an idiot.

This game is adorable. You start the game with a book that contains a weekly schedule of community events that appears to be manually transcribed from the game's forums. That contains a link to an internet radio station and between songs they have this awful commercial for a player-created town. Some games have boasted of 1999 style mechanics but the amount of 1999 in this game is actually astonishing.

You know how a lot of people say what they miss in the MMOs today is the community aspect that old school UO had? You're basically playing with the people that made all that possible back in the day.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

jabro posted:

You know how a lot of people say what they miss in the MMOs today is the community aspect that old school UO had? You're basically playing with the people that made all that possible back in the day.

Agree with this alot.

The game has about another year or two before its really done (HI LUM TELL RICHARD TO PLEASE WORK ON THE COMBAT CAUSE ITS TERRIBLE), but the people are usually cool and will help you out.

Most people ive spoken to in the past 2 weeks get frustrated over the lack of working quests, no mail system and no in game map. Also the schedules of the npc's throws alotta people off (they sleep at night and work whenever they decide to wake up). Nothing like riding into town to try to sell something and the npc is asleep and wont get up.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

iminers posted:

The game has about another year or two before its really done

I said that and got flamed so I won't say that!

iminers posted:

(HI LUM TELL RICHARD TO PLEASE WORK ON THE COMBAT CAUSE ITS TERRIBLE)

He's 100% on story since we kind of need one. Which means that he basically yells at me since I do a lot of the implementation. Our offices are next to each other and I've joked that we're going to put in a glass window in the wall so he can just open it up and yell at me directly.

iminers posted:

Most people ive spoken to in the past 2 weeks get frustrated over the lack of working quests

(refer back to not being done yet)

iminers posted:

no mail system and no in game map. Also the schedules of the npc's throws alotta people off (they sleep at night and work whenever they decide to wake up). Nothing like riding into town to try to sell something and the npc is asleep and wont get up.

That's all Richard bringing you that 1999 feeling. Hey, it took a lot to get 1999 instead of 1985 (the conversation system is still 1991ish but we're hoping to bump it a few years soon)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I find it hilarious when people get confused because they've never played a game before without a giant bouncing cartoon arrow and a glowing path to the next quest NPC.

Oh to be young again.

I'm one of those weirdos who types to NPCs like it's Ultima 4.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 10, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I remember typing to NPCs in EQ1 but maybe I'm misremembering? I honestly like the lack of quest log and all, I'm just so used to it by now I wonder how I'll cope the first few days.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

That's what kind of worries me about these throwback MMOs. These people are either playing free shards or playing Richard Garriott's game. If and when there is a better alternative *cough*Shards Online*cough*, will those people actually move over?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think MMOs inherently retain people because of the time sunk into playing one

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Alexander DeLarge posted:

That's what kind of worries me about these throwback MMOs. These people are either playing free shards or playing Richard Garriott's game. If and when there is a better alternative *cough*Shards Online*cough*, will those people actually move over?

Garriott basically is giving them everything they want and he has a track record with them. Why would they move?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How bad is this game? As in is it more fun than a free UO shard? I want a loving MMO to play.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Garriott basically is giving them everything they want and he has a track record with them. Why would they move?

How is this giving everybody everything they want? It hardly resembles Ultima Online and it's a clunky Ultima successor. I still recommend it, but they have the upper hand since this is THE ONLY recent crowdfunded throwback MMO sandbox that is currently running with persistent character progression besides Project Gorgon, but that's aimed towards Asheron's Call/Everquest 1999 players.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Lum_ posted:

I said that and got flamed so I won't say that!

He's 100% on story since we kind of need one. Which means that he basically yells at me since I do a lot of the implementation. Our offices are next to each other and I've joked that we're going to put in a glass window in the wall so he can just open it up and yell at me directly.

(refer back to not being done yet)

That's all Richard bringing you that 1999 feeling. Hey, it took a lot to get 1999 instead of 1985 (the conversation system is still 1991ish but we're hoping to bump it a few years soon)

Im not being a jerk or anything but this is what i dont understand. You guys have been writing/coding getting lots of money for over *2 YEARS*. How the hell is the writing part of the game NOT done. Why is the combat still hilariously terrible and the game still runs like garbage?(unoptimized)

Im not sure how big your team is, but thats alot of time and ALOT of money to NOT to have a few basic things ready.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 10, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

How is this giving everybody everything they want? It hardly resembles Ultima Online and it's a clunky Ultima successor. I still recommend it, but they have the upper hand since this is THE ONLY recent crowdfunded throwback MMO sandbox that is currently running with persistent character progression besides Project Gorgon, but that's aimed towards Asheron's Call/Everquest 1999 players.

All they want is a graphical MUD that they can make songs in, write books, craft poo poo, and RP in. They want tavern nights, to put on plays, and have homes they can put thier crafted wares in. Garriott is giving them that and he is the guy they have been with since playing Ultima on their Apple IIs.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

All they want is a graphical MUD that they can make songs in, write books, craft poo poo, and RP in. They want tavern nights, to put on plays, and have homes they can put thier crafted wares in. Garriott is giving them that and he is the guy they have been with since playing Ultima on their Apple IIs.

Fair enough, I've noticed the people that make the community awesome are the ones that don't really pay attention to the actual game.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
idk why there can't be a button that's just a hotkey for opening the local map if it's in my inventory. I'm learning a new alphabet for you, meet me halfway

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

idk why there can't be a button that's just a hotkey for opening the local map if it's in my inventory. I'm learning a new alphabet for you, meet me halfway

Its alotta fun to not be able to read city maps.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
You can add plaintext translation in the options for the overworld map. The city maps you're stuck though.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

iminers posted:

Im not being a jerk or anything but this is what i dont understand. You guys have been writing/coding getting lots of money for over *2 YEARS*. How the hell is the writing part of the game NOT done. Why is the combat still hilariously terrible and the game still runs like garbage?(unoptimized)

Im not sure how big your team is, but thats alot of time and ALOT of money to NOT to have a few basic things ready.

Most games take longer than 2 years to complete with larger teams and budgets.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
A lot of people have skewed perspectives on these games, most MMOs are in development between 5-7 years. It has only been three and a half years.

I'll give it a bit more time and to be fair, Shroud of the Avatar deserves that considering how much I've seen changed between a single monthly release.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Most games take longer than 2 years to complete with larger teams and budgets.

Ouch, your right. I forgot about how long it took WOW and ESO etc.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

A lot of people have skewed perspectives on these games, most MMOs are in development between 5-7 years. It has only been three and a half years.

I'll give it a bit more time and to be fair, Shroud of the Avatar deserves that considering how much I've seen changed between a single monthly release.

You still playing this? I never see you on, unless the friends list thing is broken again :(

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

iminers posted:

You still playing this? I never see you on, unless the friends list thing is broken again :(

Between working/Squad/No Man's Sky, I've just been busy. Once I get the guild up and running I'll probably log in just enough to manage things and hang out. No need to rush through the content since it's all persistent now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I definitely like the way conversations and quests work. Giant exclamation points and magical pathways are stupid.

However, despite that, I can not tell Stanley in Soltown that Harry lit the fire. That is supposed to be the way you report the crime, but Stanley only sees the keyword FIRE and tells you his feelings about it, instead of responding to my accusation of the crime.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Between working/Squad/No Man's Sky, I've just been busy. Once I get the guild up and running I'll probably log in just enough to manage things and hang out. No need to rush through the content since it's all persistent now.

Make the guild then go play those

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of people keep making UO comparisons - fair enough. That was the last game to bear the name after all.

I think a lot of them never played Ultima 4, because that's where I see all the core gameplay parallels.

SoTA has the exact same content layout - overworld, town scenes, dungeon scenes, etc. Same NPC dialogue interface (albeit with mouse clicking added as an option) and it's basically your Avatar against the world in a pursuit of virtue related quests.

It's just that now the game comes in shiny 3D. Of course Ultimas 1-5 probably predate the entire lifespan of a lot of players making the comparisons.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So I just spent an hour going to each major city in the game and every single village lot has been taken in each city and notable area meaning you're confined to completely irrelevant areas or those player owned towns.

This staggered land grab is dumb as hell, especially considering that $550 Founders are just getting the ability to claim their land tomorrow, 13 days after launching. Now I just gotta wait for someone to not log in for 120 days and grab a decent plot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

So I just spent an hour going to each major city in the game and every single village lot has been taken in each city and notable area meaning you're confined to completely irrelevant areas or those player owned towns.

This staggered land grab is dumb as hell, especially considering that $550 Founders are just getting the ability to claim their land tomorrow, 13 days after launching. Now I just gotta wait for someone to not log in for 120 days and grab a decent plot.

People flocked to the already mostly completed towns and cities. There are loads of plots free in the ones that haven't seen much development yet.

Estgard is Future Viking City, the next one due for a major update and I know for a fact there are loads of downtown village lots in there.
How dramatic a transformation is likely? Well Xenos once used the same template as well and look how much that place changed.

If you see any place with an under construction sign and it looks generic as hell it literally means its currently nothing more than basically a copy & pasted template with lots on it. They'll all get updated in due time. Lots won't be moved so you're safe claiming in there if you are happy to wait and take a chance on how it eventually looks.
Or you can go to a smaller place that's mostly completed like Kiln, Yew or Jaanaford.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 11, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Man I burned through those perennial coast quests fast. It's kinda tough because I feel like the loop for leveling is SUPPOSED to be do quests to build up a buffer of XP and then burn it grinding against easier-to-kill mobs. But no content = no buffer = extended engagements against orange mobs with some really loving obnoxiously short leashes.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DancingShade posted:

People flocked to the already mostly completed towns and cities. There are loads of plots free in the ones that haven't seen much development yet.

Estgard is Future Viking City, the next one due for a major update and I know for a fact there are loads of downtown village lots in there.
How dramatic a transformation is likely? Well Xenos once used the same template as well and look how much that place changed.

If you see any place with an under construction sign and it looks generic as hell it literally means its currently nothing more than basically a copy & pasted template with lots on it. They'll all get updated in due time. Lots won't be moved so you're safe claiming in there if you are happy to wait and take a chance on how it eventually looks.
Or you can go to a smaller place that's mostly completed like Kiln, Yew or Jaanaford.

I didn't even think of Estgard, do you think people will actually go there since it's on its own isle kind of like Xenos? I like Xenos but the starting location is weird and they could cut that map by 50% and it'd be fine, just less tedious to navigate.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I can place my row lot on the 22nd. If there ends up being anywhere with a goon presence I will head there.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I can place my row lot on the 22nd. If there ends up being anywhere with a goon presence I will head there.

Row housing is last but there's plenty, even in Central Brittanny. I'd get Ardoris or Central if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

Man I burned through those perennial coast quests fast. It's kinda tough because I feel like the loop for leveling is SUPPOSED to be do quests to build up a buffer of XP and then burn it grinding against easier-to-kill mobs. But no content = no buffer = extended engagements against orange mobs with some really loving obnoxiously short leashes.

Yeah, I loving HATE the leash ranges on most mobs in this. Whats worst of all, is they dont fully leash back to their original spot when they lose aggro. You'll find em sorta loitering off on their own, engage, and suddenly they turbo run back to their original spawn point because you NOW crossed their leash range.

They need to return to their spawn when de-aggro'd IMO.