Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is always a newer, shiner object rolling down the hallway and toddlers to chase after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
What's up with masterworking? I had the game tell me my materials had broken 4 or 5 times on masterwork failures and they, uh, hadn't. Is breaking always not working or only sometimes?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

30.5 Days posted:

What's up with masterworking? I had the game tell me my materials had broken 4 or 5 times on masterwork failures and they, uh, hadn't. Is breaking always not working or only sometimes?

If masterworking fails it's supposed to destroy the item, so you might have found a bug.

However if you're trying to do that in Estgard the bug is already known and actually affects all crafting (always fails but never consumes materials). It's a scene specific issue though so for the interim just craft in any other town nearby that you prefer.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

DancingShade posted:

However if you're trying to do that in Estgard the bug is already known and actually affects all crafting (always fails but never consumes materials). It's a scene specific issue though so for the interim just craft in any other town nearby that you prefer.

Does it still result in skill gain?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yoloer420 posted:

Does it still result in skill gain?

It absolutely does. I wouldn't go too crazy though in case you get a polite wrap over the knuckles, since it's basically been widely reported in the R32 bug forums already.

Also it still burns your crafting XP.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Node posted:

I wouldn't classify it as a trainwreck. At least, not compared to the trainwreck Pantheon's Kickstarter was. If Portalarium continues to patch and update, I think we're going to get a decent to very good game. Eventually. We just got it on a new business model where the developer could keep it in Early Access limbo for who knows how long.

I mean, look at the addon store. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085 . $5 for an emote! A smokeable pipe (10 different designs) for $10! A 3 level, castle-sized basement (castle and castle lot not included) the size of multiple dungeons combined for $150!

Actually they have been really good at releasing patches and taking care of bugs and loading times.
They just need to completely pull the combat mechanics and redo it and optimize the hell outta the game and its pretty much gonna be ok.

Also: i dig the instruments.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
Whats the quickest way to get to Estgard from Brittany/Soltown area? Any ships or do I need to go via nightshade pass?
I've got a village lot in Elad's lighthouse but it's quite far from the bank/crafting pavillion. If theres still some good spots in estgard I will move there instead.
I'm ingame as "Shodan Andfriends"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

DancingShade posted:

If masterworking fails it's supposed to destroy the item, so you might have found a bug.

Naw it was andoris and eventually succeeded.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PMB posted:

Whats the quickest way to get to Estgard from Brittany/Soltown area? Any ships or do I need to go via nightshade pass?
I've got a village lot in Elad's lighthouse but it's quite far from the bank/crafting pavillion. If theres still some good spots in estgard I will move there instead.
I'm ingame as "Shodan Andfriends"

Go North a bit from Brittany then go West all the way (just follow the road) and catch a boat from Harvest on the coast.

The boat is on the overworld but you can also take a second boat actually inside Harvest that drops you off at the Estgard docks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

iminers posted:

Actually they have been really good at releasing patches and taking care of bugs and loading times.
They just need to completely pull the combat mechanics and redo it and optimize the hell outta the game and its pretty much gonna be ok.

Also: i dig the instruments.

It needs about 8000x more quests and unique NPCs (with schedules) like some parts of Ultima 4-7 did, to get really solid. And that's what they are working on. It doesn't sound like combat is going to get attention right away unfortunately. I still can't loving kill anything in 4 skull difficulty areas and I am sick to death of killing wolves, skeletons, and bears with the same weapon I started with.

Crafting is an enormous timesink as well. Maybe too much. I mine everything I see, and I go to the Owl's Nest mine to mine there, which is the densest place for veins I've found so far. All that for maybe 18 ingots of copper and 20 of iron over a few days. And I could make two or three things before I'm out of ingots. All this while I see player vendors selling 400 gold ore. Where the gently caress do they get all of that?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've never collected more than a token amount of gold & silver ore because masterworking + enchanting is something I'm going to worry about later.

That being said places like Owls Nest or the Serpent Spine Mines are basically ore node & crystal supermarkets (with angry things walking the aisles). A lot of players took lots in the Drachvald Peninsula behind the Vauben Pass control point specifically to be close to the Graff Gem Mines. There's also the Spectral Mines in the mountains up the river from Solace Bridge and probably a bunch others I missed.

Basically you're looking for places like that and you'll never be short of ingots. Also meticulous collection is your friend when you get double or even quadruple procs and one node gives you multiple ore/crystal.

Where is all this stuff? This is a handy fan made resource that might help http://www.sotamap.com/

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I've never collected more than a token amount of gold & silver ore because masterworking + enchanting is something I'm going to worry about later.

That being said places like Owls Nest or the Serpent Spine Mines are basically ore node & crystal supermarkets (with angry things walking the aisles). A lot of players took lots in the Drachvald Peninsula behind the Vauben Pass control point specifically to be close to the Graff Gem Mines. There's also the Spectral Mines in the mountains up the river from Solace Bridge and probably a bunch others I missed.

Basically you're looking for places like that and you'll never be short of ingots. Also meticulous collection is your friend when you get double or even quadruple procs and one node gives you multiple ore/crystal.

Where is all this stuff? This is a handy fan made resource that might help http://www.sotamap.com/

A good post. Meticulous collection takes a while to get going but it definite changes the mining game.

Node posted:

Crafting is an enormous timesink as well. Maybe too much. I mine everything I see, and I go to the Owl's Nest mine to mine there, which is the densest place for veins I've found so far. All that for maybe 18 ingots of copper and 20 of iron over a few days. And I could make two or three things before I'm out of ingots. All this while I see player vendors selling 400 gold ore. Where the gently caress do they get all of that?

If you have made only 20 something ore in a few days something is definitely wrong. I made 50+ iron ingots yesterday out of owls nest alone. You are salvaging too right? Making ingots from shards should be the only way you are making ingots.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 15, 2016

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

DancingShade posted:

Go North a bit from Brittany then go West all the way (just follow the road) and catch a boat from Harvest on the coast.

The boat is on the overworld but you can also take a second boat actually inside Harvest that drops you off at the Estgard docks.

Thank you. Got there and placed my lot.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

So this town you guys chose kind of sucks. you have to run for like a mile just to hit the NPC's

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jimlit posted:

So this town you guys chose kind of sucks. you have to run for like a mile just to hit the NPC's

If you want to spawn directly on top of the hub move to Parrot's Roost.

Also it takes me ~45 secs of running to reach downtown from spawn. If that's too long for you :shrug:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Once the overhaul hits and they add story content, it will be a bit more lively/attractive, but it's still a bit of running (probably be a bit more like Soltown in the end). I think the convenience of not being behind a gate and having access to Brittany within a 2 minute run while having prime real estate is totally worth it.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 16, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Are the random translucent skeletons on the ground places where people have died before? Like a Dark Souls soul patch?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Node posted:

Are the random translucent skeletons on the ground places where people have died before? Like a Dark Souls soul patch?
Yep

DancingShade posted:

If you want to spawn directly on top of the hub move to Parrot's Roost.

Also it takes me ~45 secs of running to reach downtown from spawn. If that's too long for you :shrug:

Parrots Roost sounds awesome.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that you can double tap forwards to sprint as a number of people don't realise that initially.

Dead player skeletons are hilarious in certain places as you know exactly what went wrong for so many people.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 16, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

Reminder that you can double tap forwards to sprint as a number of people don't realise that initially.

Dead player skeletons are hilarious in certain places as you know exactly what went wrong for so many people.

It's only missing their shade's last few seconds of action before they died.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I do really want to know what happened to that seated skeleton in Sequanna Square.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're after silver ore for masterworking then Veritas mines (accessible via Veritas foothills in the mountains a bit south of Harvest, over the channel from Estgard) is basically copper and silver central.

I pulled out 36 silver ore, some large quantity of copper and a lot of ruby, garnet and sapphire fragments plus a few fully intact ones.

Slight downside: you need to be able to manage fights with upwards of 3 hardened skeletal archers at once. Might be pretty brutal once you start going deeper than just the entry area.

Upside: the bottom chamber "only" has earth elementals and if you can reach it you'll have no trouble stripping it bare. Well slowly. You might need a slight rest after killing each one.

(the whole place is basically a 5 skull area)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Sounds like a swell place but I can't kill anything in four skull areas let alone five. What the heck is masterworking? I thought it was when you get an exceptional bonus when you craft something but I guess that is different.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

Sounds like a swell place but I can't kill anything in four skull areas let alone five. What the heck is masterworking? I thought it was when you get an exceptional bonus when you craft something but I guess that is different.

An exceptional item just means +50 durability which is great because each time you masterwork something you lower the maximum durability. So you want exceptional items for masterworking unless you want to be that guy I saw who made a KillDeathMurder +8 halberd with just 20/20 durability. I almost bought it for a laugh because it was awesome but the drat thing would be a maintenance nightmare.

Basically masterworking is another profession specific recipe where you take a crafted item + a workbench then use the masterwork recipe (basically 5 silver ingots) to try your luck at making a Cool McAwesome thing. It also runs off its own skill in the crafting tree.
If it fails you blow up the item and the more you do it to the same item, the greater the chance of failure.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

DancingShade posted:

If you're after silver ore for masterworking then Veritas mines (accessible via Veritas foothills in the mountains a bit south of Harvest, over the channel from Estgard) is basically copper and silver central.

I pulled out 36 silver ore, some large quantity of copper and a lot of ruby, garnet and sapphire fragments plus a few fully intact ones.

Slight downside: you need to be able to manage fights with upwards of 3 hardened skeletal archers at once. Might be pretty brutal once you start going deeper than just the entry area.

Upside: the bottom chamber "only" has earth elementals and if you can reach it you'll have no trouble stripping it bare. Well slowly. You might need a slight rest after killing each one.

(the whole place is basically a 5 skull area)

It should be noted that you can just ghost down to the level of the silver. There is an ankh down there berry close to that breakable wall.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Mobs also don't reset when their target dies, so you can lead the baddies away from the silver, die, and then respawn next to the silver. Better than killing them because they don't come back.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

An exceptional item just means +50 durability which is great because each time you masterwork something you lower the maximum durability. So you want exceptional items for masterworking unless you want to be that guy I saw who made a KillDeathMurder +8 halberd with just 20/20 durability. I almost bought it for a laugh because it was awesome but the drat thing would be a maintenance nightmare.

Basically masterworking is another profession specific recipe where you take a crafted item + a workbench then use the masterwork recipe (basically 5 silver ingots) to try your luck at making a Cool McAwesome thing. It also runs off its own skill in the crafting tree.
If it fails you blow up the item and the more you do it to the same item, the greater the chance of failure.

I get it. Masterworking uses silver and gold (for blacksmithing) right? Wouldn't that be a prohibitive grind if you have to use five ingots each time? Is there a decent guide for efficiently leveling up blacksmithing and its various sub-glyphs like masterworking?

And while I'm asking questions, at what point do I start seeing better swords? I've seen meteoric iron longsword +5s or similar for sale and they still do less damage than my Royal Founder starter poo poo.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I'm assuming it's more about the perks than any damage increases. Like my 10% crit two-handed sword trivialized things that used to whoop my rear end.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 16, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

I get it. Masterworking uses silver and gold (for blacksmithing) right? Wouldn't that be a prohibitive grind if you have to use five ingots each time? Is there a decent guide for efficiently leveling up blacksmithing and its various sub-glyphs like masterworking?

And while I'm asking questions, at what point do I start seeing better swords? I've seen meteoric iron longsword +5s or similar for sale and they still do less damage than my Royal Founder starter poo poo.

gold is for enchanting, silver is for masterwork

+5 just means it's got 2 masterworks & also has +50 durability. Masterwork quality can vary dramatically because (A) when you successfully masterwork, it rolls up 3 random options to choose from & all 3 choices might be poo poo, and (B) there's 3 levels of each masterwork type and you roll better ones as you level up your trade. So it could just be +5 health/+5 focus, +40 durability and still be a +5 sword. But a +5 sword can also be +2.5% weapon damage, +4 strength, +20 durability. You need to hold Ctrl and check the masterworks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If I get one of the tax free lots does it ever decay? Like it I don't log in for a few months or a year will I lose my lot?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

If I get one of the tax free lots does it ever decay? Like it I don't log in for a few months or a year will I lose my lot?

If you don't log in for a period of months then depending on your pledge tier then your tax free deed & house will end up sitting in your bank and your lot left vacant.

Currently it's just 4 months for everyone but it's supposed to be 5 for citizens, 6 for edelmann, 7 for knights, etc. As you go up each tier it's one additional month.

So they DO kind of decay (though you don't actually lose anything, just your spot) but very slowly. Logging in even once resets the clock.

Also even if you vanish for a year or more you'll still be able to find a vacant lot somewhere - the number of deeds in game will never exceed the number of lots available to claim.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I'm assuming this game doesn't have IDOCs and just returns all your housing items to your bank if your lot time runs out. But oh man that would be fun. IDOC slaughters were fun times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea what an IDOC is sorry.

But yeah everyone on your lot is dumped into your bank if you unclaim a lot or it expires.

Googled it, ok I get you now. Yeah nothing like that in here. It would just go "poof!" and vanish.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 17, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

I have no idea what an IDOC is sorry.

Houses in Ultima Online could decay if the owner didn't access it periodically. When it does decay, the house is destroyed, and everything in the house just plops to the ground and is free for the taking. And since banks were much more limited in storage than they are in Shroud, that meant people would stock houses with incalculable amounts of goods. You could check what state a house's decay was in by clicking its sign. The last state was In Danger of Collapsing.

People would make it a habit of scouring the world, looking for IDOCs. They'd camp it, waiting for it to decay. But sometimes word would get out, and many people would converge and wait for it. And when it did decay, it would be a free for all with people murdering each other so they could loot as much as possible.

Of course, you couldn't do that on Trammel (no pvp facet) once The Renaissance was introduced, but you still could on Felucca (regular game, pvp and stealing allowed.)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ah, okay, thanks. That better than IDOCs for me but sucks for other people's stuff.

IDOCs are In Danger of Collapsing. In Ultima Online houses were on a 2 week timer. If you didn't refresh your house by clicking on the house sign the house would decay over 2 weeks. There were various levels of decay and the last before collapsing was IDOC. When that happened the house would basically disappear and all the poo poo inside would be on the ground. You would have people who collected things for years all of sudden quit or whatever so the the value of the items would be in the millions. Guilds would war over the IDOCs and it was basically the best PVP UO had to offer.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jabro posted:

Ah, okay, thanks. That better than IDOCs for me but sucks for other people's stuff.

IDOCs are In Danger of Collapsing. In Ultima Online houses were on a 2 week timer. If you didn't refresh your house by clicking on the house sign the house would decay over 2 weeks. There were various levels of decay and the last before collapsing was IDOC. When that happened the house would basically disappear and all the poo poo inside would be on the ground. You would have people who collected things for years all of sudden quit or whatever so the the value of the items would be in the millions. Guilds would war over the IDOCs and it was basically the best PVP UO had to offer.

pLaTeDeWd:viking of vanq
invul set xept arms
heter of fot
fort

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Thanks for fixing the Soltown fire quest, Lum!

If you don't mind taking more quest report bugs in this thread (too lazy to log into the main forums,) Bodan in Braemar gives a quest to kill a wolf pack leader in the South Vale Trail. I killed it, but didn't get an update, and he doesn't respond to me when I told him about it.

e: Also I will accept all Release Grand Tour hats as a thank you. thank you

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
What are people liking for mele?

sword and board? pole arms?

Does a two handed sword count as a blade weapon?

And how do you unlearn skills?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lobus posted:

What are people liking for mele?

sword and board? pole arms?

Does a two handed sword count as a blade weapon?

And how do you unlearn skills?

Honestly all the melee skill trees are good. I prefer polearms though.

Yes.

You click the little green arrow next to it until it becomes the option you want. Train normally, maintain, rapidly decay etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If it only has the - and the green arrow that means it still hasn't hit the backstop yet so it can't lose any skills & there's no reason to unlearn it.