Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Pole arms are great once you learn how to use them. Only melee weapons that can hit multiple targets too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Pole arms are great once you learn how to use them. Only melee weapons that can hit multiple targets too.

Most melee weapons can hit multiple targets.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Most melee weapons can hit multiple targets.

Oh they changed that? Disregard. It's very effective with large mobs though.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Oh they changed that? Disregard. It's very effective with large mobs though.

Can it hit more than 3 at a time?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I've installed this game again. The intro trying to mimic the old Ultima intro but instead of animating it using blurred out pictures of an actual guy staring into an Alienware laptop with the Alienware logo really up close made me wonder if I really should have deleted a bunch of music and Danish movies to make room for this game. The soundtrack is really good though, I don't remember if we covered this in the last thread: During the kickstarter period Iolo the bard was back and promised to be up for working on the games soundtrack, do we have a listing anywhere of which songs are by him?

Also: Please remove the loving BUY ADDONS NOW button from the main menu until the size 72 font PRE ALPHA text warning is off the god drat client at least. Priorities.

Is it fair to guess I should just use whatever weapon type that is most fun, if a PVP patch is coming and the devs said it has months worth of work needed, it seems fair to assume the metagame for PVP won't even be the same by the time it matters anyway.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Jimlit posted:

Can it hit more than 3 at a time?

Yeah, it can hit up to five I believe.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Yeah, it can hit up to five I believe.

Four for my halberd but I might have missed another one that does five.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

extra stout posted:

I've installed this game again. The intro trying to mimic the old Ultima intro but instead of animating it using blurred out pictures of an actual guy staring into an Alienware laptop with the Alienware logo really up close made me wonder if I really should have deleted a bunch of music and Danish movies to make room for this game. The soundtrack is really good though, I don't remember if we covered this in the last thread: During the kickstarter period Iolo the bard was back and promised to be up for working on the games soundtrack, do we have a listing anywhere of which songs are by him?

Also: Please remove the loving BUY ADDONS NOW button from the main menu until the size 72 font PRE ALPHA text warning is off the god drat client at least. Priorities.

Is it fair to guess I should just use whatever weapon type that is most fun, if a PVP patch is coming and the devs said it has months worth of work needed, it seems fair to assume the metagame for PVP won't even be the same by the time it matters anyway.

Steps for enjoying Shroud of the Avatar:

1) Uninstall game

2) sit quitely at desk.

edit: alex tell me when is a good time to catch you online, ill give you the 5k+ of gold i got so that you you can start the good guild.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

iminers posted:

1) Uninstall game

2) sit quitely at desk.

edit: alex tell me when is a good time to catch you online, ill give you the 5k+ of gold i got so that you you can start the good guild.

I'm watching this thread so just post when you're hopping on, I'm online right now.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 18, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

iminers posted:

1) Uninstall game

2) sit quitely at desk.

Hey I thought we established this is the do not acknowledge the amount of water in this ship thread! Probably true, but I've got plenty of free time for the next couple of weeks and if they ever actually inch their way towards an Ultima-ish game I think it could have some fun. All of the goons who post about how good the game is are always on ESO or WoW though, which doesn't make learning the game any easier.

Please save me your scraps of armor if you're really quitting and want to help a new since the reset character out with some junk tier stuff.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I WANT FREE STUFF TOO (i'm sort of enjoying the game so it would go to good use)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

extra stout posted:

Hey I thought we established this is the do not acknowledge the amount of water in this ship thread! Probably true, but I've got plenty of free time for the next couple of weeks and if they ever actually inch their way towards an Ultima-ish game I think it could have some fun. All of the goons who post about how good the game is are always on ESO or WoW though, which doesn't make learning the game any easier.

Please save me your scraps of armor if you're really quitting and want to help a new since the reset character out with some junk tier stuff.

I'm around constantly, friend me as Cannibal Vox. No houses or whatever but vOv

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

extra stout posted:

Listen, i REALLY wanted this game to go somewhere.
I have been playing Garriots Ultima and Ultima Online games for a long time.

No one was happier to hear a sort of UO2 was in the making.
And no one was more pissed off when he dropped 45$ on a forever alpha version of the game, that was two yrs into the making and is an absolute trainwreck in terms of combat and optimazation.

Im still crossing my fingers for this game, but its got about 2-3 more yrs in development.
In all truth by the time they get their poo poo together most of the population will be playing another MMO.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Dear diary: Today I made a trunk, a table, and two chairs for my house, all by myself. :rock:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

iminers posted:

Listen, i REALLY wanted this game to go somewhere.
I have been playing Garriots Ultima and Ultima Online games for a long time.

No one was happier to hear a sort of UO2 was in the making.
And no one was more pissed off when he dropped 45$ on a forever alpha version of the game, that was two yrs into the making and is an absolute trainwreck in terms of combat and optimazation.

Im still crossing my fingers for this game, but its got about 2-3 more yrs in development.
In all truth by the time they get their poo poo together most of the population will be playing another MMO.

You were expecting it to be complete after only 2 years? :v:

Come back in another 2 or 3.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

You were expecting it to be complete after only 2 years? :v:

Come back in another 2 or 3.

And will that be just episode one? Does Garriott really plan on making five episodes?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

And will that be just episode one? Does Garriott really plan on making five episodes?

I think episode 1 is due for completion next year. The roadmap never bloated with "that's nice, hey let's just to do it" so everything additional that comes along gets pushed to after that, so episode 2 and whatever.

If you're keen to know more on the topic I strongly recommend slowly working your way through the various livestreams for the release postmortems. Tons of juicy questions & answers in there. It'll take ages to get through them all though.
Oh and the previous telethons. You'll need a serious amount of time free to go through it all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

I think episode 1 is due for completion next year. The roadmap never bloated with "that's nice, hey let's just to do it" so everything additional that comes along gets pushed to after that, so episode 2 and whatever.

If you're keen to know more on the topic I strongly recommend slowly working your way through the various livestreams for the release postmortems. Tons of juicy questions & answers in there. It'll take ages to get through them all though.
Oh and the previous telethons. You'll need a serious amount of time free to go through it all.

I have too much ADD to watch and listen to those things, I just want to know if they are truly committed to fleshing out every aspect of this game, and not just sitting in early access limbo forever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I have too much ADD to watch and listen to those things, I just want to know if they are truly committed to fleshing out every aspect of this game, and not just sitting in early access limbo forever.

They seem to be but feel free to just find something else to distract yourself with and check back in a year or two.
:shrug:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

They seem to be but feel free to just find something else to distract yourself with and check back in a year or two.
:shrug:

I still feel like playing, who knows how long it'll last. I just wasted something like 40k crafting experience on salvaging a ton of poo poo, so I decided to do some more adventuring. I'm going to the Necropolis to continue the Path of Love quest line. I'm in the underground garden fighting earth elementals, does it get tougher than this, or can I possibly complete it? Or has the quest line even been made past this point?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

I still feel like playing, who knows how long it'll last. I just wasted something like 40k crafting experience on salvaging a ton of poo poo, so I decided to do some more adventuring. I'm going to the Necropolis to continue the Path of Love quest line. I'm in the underground garden fighting earth elementals, does it get tougher than this, or can I possibly complete it? Or has the quest line even been made past this point?

40k crafting XP can come and go pretty fast, don't worry about it.

Sounds like you'll probably be fine in there. There is only really one bastard room with multiple red spiders that respawn just across a rope suspension bridge - you'll know it when you find it. I found it best to kill the ones near the start and leg it past the rest, remember to break the webs manually before you run into them and get CC'd & killed by 7 spiders at once.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

40k crafting XP can come and go pretty fast, don't worry about it.

How exactly do you get crafting exp anyway? Just harvesting? I had 95k earlier today and figured I was set for a long time.

At least I'm making progress on the adventuring front. I'm able to take on some orange cons, and some things are turning yellow like hardened skeletons. I'm a sword and shield plate using guy. I know you're a mage, but how would you set up your hotbar in my position? I have 1-4 set to pull glyphs from my deck, which are sword skills, Fist of Stone, and the first shield skill. My locked skills are heal, two glyphs that reduce damage, and two potions. I could do away with the potions, probably, but I don't know what to replace them with.

thanks for all the advice!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

How exactly do you get crafting exp anyway? Just harvesting? I had 95k earlier today and figured I was set for a long time.

At least I'm making progress on the adventuring front. I'm able to take on some orange cons, and some things are turning yellow like hardened skeletons. I'm a sword and shield plate using guy. I know you're a mage, but how would you set up your hotbar in my position? I have 1-4 set to pull glyphs from my deck, which are sword skills, Fist of Stone, and the first shield skill. My locked skills are heal, two glyphs that reduce damage, and two potions. I could do away with the potions, probably, but I don't know what to replace them with.

thanks for all the advice!

You get crafting XP by doing any crafting related activity, including gathering and producing. Of course the crafting skills also consume XP too so at some point you're going to want to lock some of them down into maintenance mode to avoid wasting XP levelling fairly useless stuff like milling beyond your practical needs.

I change my hotbar a lot depending on my current build, but basically I keep the left side for random draw and the right side for fixed glyphs. Try and keep your glyphs to the minimum required to avoid slugs as it helps you draw the right powers when you need them.
Don't be me in my early days with a hotbar filled with flame arrows and an enemy already on fire.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
Polearms are awesome, found the catacombs/sewers underneath Soltown and gave them thugs and skellies what for.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
p. furious 20 people couldn't make an MMO in 2 and a half years personally

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
Screw it i love the genre. I'm reinstalling.

Edit:

After about 3 hours of playing, I'm not regretting that decision at all. I ended up meeting a couple of players, ran around the catacombs for a while exploring, getting used to the game, and having fun.

A couple worthless, random thoughts:

The RPG is super strong in this game.
In 3 hours total, ran into a crash twice while changing settings and alt tabbing a lot.
I swear the trees are the same damned trees from UO.
I see why most people won't like this game... you have to spend time reading and interacting with the NPCs. It's not really that thick though, and I think it adds to the game.
Stuff is super expensive. I'm sure I've spent money on crap I probably shouldn't have either... skills that are most likely worthless but I think is "cool"

The highlight was a point in the catacombs with my two friends that I had made from before. We came to a room that required a key, but we had found one on a corpse earlier, which fit the lock. After opening the door, there was a pretty standard set of mobs. We were disappointed, but I decided to try to open the barrel in the room, which turned out to be a mimic. After killing that, I figured there was something off, and went around looking for interactive... one torch opened a secret passageway in the wall and we continued. The end result was a bunch of mobs protecting a chest which had a bunch of gold and a helm in it that was an upgrade for me.

It was super simple, and I'm sure that most people would probably dismiss it, but the RPG nature of that exploration hit me exactly like it did when I first tried UO in 1998. I may find a lot of reasons to hate this game in the future, but I'll definitely get my enjoyment out of the game.

adomorn fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I got to the bottom (at least, I think it was the bottom) of the Graff Gem Mines, which has pairs of earth elementals that are difficult to separate. I can take them one-on-one, but it takes a long time since they have a lot of damage mitigation and they are immune to my most powerful glyph, Stone Fist. If I ever get to the point where I can kill two of them, I could line my pockets with gold ore and gems.

Wait.

What are gems good for, anyway? Enchanting? Do you enchant weapons, armor, or jewelry?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

What are gems good for, anyway? Enchanting? Do you enchant weapons, armor, or jewelry?

Yes, all of the above. The recipes you need are in alchemy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So the way this works is, what, a piece of gear can have up to 5 masterworks and up to 5 enchantments (but probably less of each, because the odds of not breaking equipment drops precipitously with each one), and also 1 gem?

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?

adomorn posted:

The highlight was a point in the catacombs with my two friends that I had made from before. We came to a room that required a key, but we had found one on a corpse earlier, which fit the lock. After opening the door, there was a pretty standard set of mobs. We were disappointed, but I decided to try to open the barrel in the room, which turned out to be a mimic. After killing that, I figured there was something off, and went around looking for interactive... one torch opened a secret passageway in the wall and we continued. The end result was a bunch of mobs protecting a chest which had a bunch of gold and a helm in it that was an upgrade for me.

I had no idea one of the barrels in that room was a mimic, I only found the chest mimic in the branch to the right just before the room with the skeletons.

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
This game encourages me to explore every bit of an area because I'm curious, and not because I'm grinding poo poo out.

This game touches me in ways that I haven't been since I was a child.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

adomorn posted:

This game encourages me to explore every bit of an area because I'm curious, and not because I'm grinding poo poo out.

This game touches me in ways that I haven't been since I was a child.

Nice try, Mr. Garriot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Shodai posted:

Nice try, Mr. Garriot.

Lord British wouldn't hide behind a pseudonym. If He were to ever arrive on Something Awful, we would know it, and bend our knees.

adomorn
Jul 16, 2010

Ask. Seek. Knock.
Eh, I think I just happen to be in the target audience for this game. I'm sitting here talking to NPCs... No concern to rush to the top or anything like that, I just want to explore. I played WoW the same way and it was a horrible experience for me. I'd rather get hooked into a 4 hour journey that has almost no loot at the end if it means that I had a lot of fun on the way.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Hey, if you guys want the guild, we're gonna need to do a fundraiser. I have 10,000. If you have a couple thousand to toss my way, please do. I'm going to do some Tower of the Shuttered Eye runs to make a little more today and tomorrow.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Hey, if you guys want the guild, we're gonna need to do a fundraiser. I have 10,000. If you have a couple thousand to toss my way, please do. I'm going to do some Tower of the Shuttered Eye runs to make a little more today and tomorrow.

I'll pitch in as well. Been tooling around and will throw whatever I can spare if I see you online.

Is Bark Bread still like printing money, or did they fix that?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I had 36k so I self funded and made "Paladis Paladins" as a guild. No way I was going to make a typical goon sounding guild.

You're welcome to make another guild of course. Anyone with 25k to burn can do it and you don't need a party or anything.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

DancingShade posted:

I had 36k so I self funded and made "Paladis Paladins" as a guild. No way I was going to make a typical goon sounding guild.

You're welcome to make another guild of course. Anyone with 25k to burn can do it and you don't need a party or anything.

Yep, just add Dancing Shade or Alexander DeLarge or Node's character with the weird name and send a whisper to join the guild.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 21, 2016

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?

What level is needed to run through the Tower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Lobus posted:

What level is needed to run through the Tower?

Get 4 guys together and do it when you have decent weapon skills (100 I'd say). It's very difficult to quantify what "level" you should be to do any content in the game, just do it when you feel comfortable.