Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/21/candid-the-anonymous-chat-app-enforces-civility-with-ai/

quote:

Developed by a pair of former Google project leads, Candid (the company) has developed a natural language processing system that analyzes every piece of posted content and flags inflammatory items for removal -- things like hate speech, threats and slander. Off-topic posts are moved to more appropriate sections, so you won't have to dig through political discussions to read about NASA's mission to Mars.

All personally identifiable data -- including IP address, precise location data and Facebook contacts -- are encrypted with a one-way hash before they reach the company's servers. That hash cannot be decrypted by Candid -- or anyone else, for that matter. What's more, closing or abandoning an account permanently deletes all that encrypted data from Candid's servers.

Oddly, though, the app also requires users to provide their phone number during the initial account setup. The app even sends a two-step authentication code to confirm that the number is real. That data are encrypted like everything else Candid collects but it feels strange and out-of-place to request that right off the bat, especially from an app that sells itself on anonymity.

Once you get through the initial setup, Candid offers a number of mechanisms to maintain the user's privacy. For example, the app applies a new, continually randomized username like "Curious Rabbit" or "Creative Lemur" to every new post. The app also gently coerces users to be polite by awarding various badges like "Explorer," "Giver" or "Gossip" for positive posts, but will slap a "Hater" tag on people who are consistently negative.

This process, according to Candid's PR team, is entirely automated. A "lot of factors contribute to getting the hater badge," a rep told me, "including the number of negative comments and posts based on sentiment analysis, number of down votes a user gets and the number of posts from the user that were taken down. Posts that are taken down by the system are reviewed by a human."

Additionally, Candid has a system in place to first identify potentially unsubstantiated rumors through its algorithmic AI, which are then verified by a person using web and Twitter results. Any rumors deemed to be false are quickly removed, while true statements -- such as news leaks -- remain. Similarly, if the system sees that a poster is threatening self-harm, it will issue a push notification to him or her with the number for a local crisis helpline.

quote:

On how automated moderation works

The way other artificial intelligence works, is it basically parses your sentence. We use a deep learning NLP algorithm, which basically looks at what you're saying and decides ... whether it's positive or negative. So it kind of classifies things as having a negative sentiment or a positive sentiment.

It then gives it a score of how kind of strong your statement is — let's say you said something about someone or you threatened someone, it classifies that as saying, "Hey this is a very strong statement," because these kinds of categories are not good in terms of social discourse. And when we do that, we basically say if this thing has a score which is more than a particular level, a cut-off, then we basically take out the whole post. So whether it's self harm or like bullying or harassment, we look for certain phrases and the context of those phrases.

Instead of letting a community moderate itself with reporting functions and rapid-fire burns from funny posters, we want to trust in robot minders to categorize our ideas and keep our contributions friendly and inclusive. While I'm sure it's pretty easy to wipe out a gem like "die in a well ahole," I wonder how more complex forms of posting like sarcasm and irony would be handled. I don't like that they will have a voting system for individual contributions because it encourages hollow and disingenuous platitudes with all unfavorable opinions being scrubbed. I also am doubtful that this will be 100% AI with no human steering. Is this Safe Space: The App?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sounds like a job for dimok buschoff

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lowtax should get the creepy robot from the other thread as a moderator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYzOZQDsm5w

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

dad gay. so what posted:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Will the AI be able to distinguish between ironic and non ironic racism??

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Make Tay a mod

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
I am also in favor of letting rockafire explosion mod nmd

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This seems like it would lead to the worst kind of safe space hugbox that stifles any interesting or dissenting opinions.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

notZaar posted:

This seems like it would lead to the worst kind of safe space hugbox that stifles any interesting or dissenting opinions.

It's like some kind of super-reddit

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

how would this be any different from ralp

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
thought this was about the car forum

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Hmmm, the app uses the same randomised naming scheme as the diamond dogs, but if anything metal gear taught me to fear AI. I'm really not sure how to feel about this.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

irony will be the last line of defense against the robot insurrection. our only hope, is gbs

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

dad gay. so what posted:

CHALUPA PLEASE

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
*clown image variation*

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
It will be almost as successful as Voat, I imagine

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Mod this :fuckoff:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the ai mod probates people for posting lol and nothing else in the chat threads

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The whole appeal of moderators is that they are heavily flawed human beings given a molecule of power.

Who wants a mod thats not a depressed, petty alcoholic sadsack?

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
Would mods still know?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Pansacola posted:

Would mods still know?

did they ever, really? i mean really?

s0j
May 17, 2003

get fucked, round-eye
being an SA mod requires a human touch and other inappropriate touches

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

s0j posted:

being an SA mod requires a human touch and other inappropriate touches

bad huggies?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
windows 98's revenge

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

s0j posted:

aatrek did nothing wrong

hosed up

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't need an AI to violate my first amendment rights, we have people already appointed for that job.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"I cannot self-6 hour"

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

jBrereton posted:

"I cannot self-6 hour"

lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

psychokitty posted:

did they ever, really? i mean really?

they loving knew

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Chinatown posted:

they loving knew

you give them so much credit where most likely none is due

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

psychokitty posted:

he has not yet steered us wrong on the MH370 situation so I trust his judgement

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
death to the mods, insha'allah

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

psychokitty posted:

suck mine balls, fuckeman

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Chinatown posted:

suck mine balls, fuckeman

i just really wonder what the mods knew. i don't think they know all that much. i'm sorry if i offended you. :china:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Chinatown posted:

*clown image variation*

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Metal Gear Solid 2 literally predicted the fuckin future, goddamn

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri literally predicted the fuckin future, goddamn

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

this but the sprays says "i'm gay"

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
The only logical conclusion to keep a peaceful forums is to ban all humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
but can ai mods have meltdowns like reg mods???

• Locked thread