Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Huey Long's lasting legacy was a political machine who's corruption energized the right to take over and make Louisiana a proper shithole of the south again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

zedprime posted:

Huey Long's lasting legacy was a political machine who's corruption energized the right to take over and make Louisiana a proper shithole of the south again.

His legacy was massive improvements to Louisiana's infrastructure and education system.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

psychokitty posted:

or at least app state where you can just snowboard stoned for 4 years

maybe dude wanted to have a job after graduation that didn't involve flipping burgers, op

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

His legacy was massive improvements to Louisiana's infrastructure and education system.

Its probably both. A lot of the evil of the right and the South are in reaction to the successes of the left and North. Romney's health care GOOD. Obama's health care BAD and lets run on a platform of just fighting against that and win!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Kingfish posted:

One time improvements that happened to line the pockets of his friends. It'd be more impressive if he affected the societal changes so that Louisiana's public infrastructure and education system didn't date back to Long's improvements 70 years later. But everything he did was predicated on a political machine he somehow managed to build years after it was in vogue, and was an easy target for political enemies.

Politically an easy target though I guess, tendrils related to Long's political machine arguably exist through today because the police departments and sheriff's offices of Long's heartland were set up as a personal army that have been that much more resistant to the nationwide police reforms last time the public started getting wary of police forces.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

comes along bort posted:

maybe dude wanted to have a job after graduation that didn't involve flipping burgers, op

suck my ovaries dickbag

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Muscadine Wine posted:

Does Atlanta have the spontaneous car fires like New Orleans?

not that i know of but hopefully it happens to my car soon so i can get a new one i mean preferably when im not in it but ... it's whatever

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

psychokitty posted:

suck my ovaries dickbag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

diaf

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

Its probably both. A lot of the evil of the right and the South are in reaction to the successes of the left and North. Romney's health care GOOD. Obama's health care BAD and lets run on a platform of just fighting against that and win!

the last realistic chance we had for uhc was from a southerner who let his chicago-born-and-bred wifey handle and subsequently gently caress it up

5er
Jun 1, 2000

HOT HOT HOT

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

idiot

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

5er posted:

HOT HOT HOT

future app student

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

skeletonotherkin posted:

Just a reminder op, that here in my southern city, it was north eastern transplants who demanded busing be brought to an end.
boston had the greatest resistance to busing in the early '70s because irish americans are subhuman

and yeah huey long was one of the very few powerful southerners who gave a poo poo about the poor, but he had an authoritarian streak a mile wide. even when he was in the US Senate, louisiana was run completely by him

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 4, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

He was pretty good with the news but after Hard at play they really went down hill.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
did anyone say pooey schlong yet

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bitter Mushroom posted:

See. Southerners just can't let something decent lie, they gotta take a poo poo on top of it.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Jastiger posted:

See. Southerners just can't let something decent lie, they gotta take a poo poo on top of it.

bless your heart

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
seems like someone has been reading wikipedia :grin:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

roymorrison posted:

I support segregation of jastiger and making threada

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

psychokitty posted:

bless your heart

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

psychokitty posted:

bless your heart

Reported as offensive Southern Hate Speech.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If the north is so great how come there's more homeless people and crime in the north?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I read All The King's Men because I thought it would be about corrupt Southern politics and shady backroom deals and all it was was a bunch of bullshit about this guy's dad didn't love him and Huey Long was like a substitute father to him and all his life his girlfriend called him "Jackie-Bird".

I want my six hours back, goddammit! Worst book I've read since "A Visit From the Goon Squad"!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would love to write more good things about Southerners but almost all of them are either killed by Southerners who want to keep it lovely or left to go to the North so they could actually accomplish something.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Jastiger posted:

I would love to write more good things about Southerners but almost all of them are either killed by Southerners who want to keep it lovely or left to go to the North so they could actually accomplish something.

Serious post: some guy on a Civil War enthusiast site has been doing some writing on Southern abololitionists if your curious.

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/southern-abolitionists-part-1-charles-osborn.101084/

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/southern-abolitionists-part-2-reverend-john-rankin.107887/

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/southern-abolitionists-part-3-levi-coffin-and-the-quakers.115158/

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/southern-abolitionists-part-4-david-walker.123645/

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Y-Hat posted:

boston had the greatest resistance to busing in the early '70s because irish americans are subhuman

and yeah huey long was one of the very few powerful southerners who gave a poo poo about the poor, but he had an authoritarian streak a mile wide. even when he was in the US Senate, louisiana was run completely by him

Southerners are like slavs, they crave authoritarian father figures so you might as well give them an enlightened despot.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

way more people transplant from the north to the south i suspect than vice versa but i have no data to base this on other than having to work with a bunch of obnoxious assholes from new york and boston and philly and poo poo every day. they wont shut up about poo poo like how it's hot here and the traffic is bad im like welp move your fat loving self back up north and help out with both of those problems tia

5er
Jun 1, 2000

One bit of perspective I think is important to consider is that the 'south' isn't going to 'rise again,' nor will the 'north' 'aggress' again. We're in a modern time where virtually everyone has had family move to the north, or to the south, and nobody wants to risk a modern return to the dumbshit division of the civil war era. Nobody's going to risk their comfort or contact with distant family because a few hillbillies and conceited aristocrats are maintaining an obsolete pissing match.

Maybe except Texas.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people should stop moving to texas and arizona because those two states contain the most powerfully psychotic people in elected office. the more people that go there, the greater their influence on the rest of america

arizona is the southwest and texas is too, i guess, but i like to think of that area of the country as "the south on steroids"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

5er posted:

One bit of perspective I think is important to consider is that the 'south' isn't going to 'rise again,' nor will the 'north' 'aggress' again. We're in a modern time where virtually everyone has had family move to the north, or to the south, and nobody wants to risk a modern return to the dumbshit division of the civil war era. Nobody's going to risk their comfort or contact with distant family because a few hillbillies and conceited aristocrats are maintaining an obsolete pissing match.

Maybe except Texas.

Shut up, nerd!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The South is just bad all around. Even in the bullshit parts of the north there arent gators to prowl your rivers or 5 different types of snakes to hide in your shoes.

Cool stuff about the Southern abolitionists. Without reading the posts, lemme guess..most were killed or socially cut off for daring to make the South not evil. Betcha im right.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Betcha im right.

bad odds on that bet right there if you ask me

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jastiger posted:

The South is just bad all around. Even in the bullshit parts of the north there arent gators to prowl your rivers or 5 different types of snakes to hide in your shoes.

all vital parts of a healthy ecosystem

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jastiger posted:

then don't go to australia, the people are arguably more racist and the fauna there are definitely worse than in the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

then don't go to australia, the people are arguably more racist and the fauna there are definitely worse than in the south

Not disagreeing with you there.

• Locked thread