Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kubrick is good it's too bad hollywood sucks now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Moridin920 posted:

kubrick is good it's too bad hollywood sucks now

ppl call it hollyweird now and you know what, I think they have a point

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why do girls pretend to like A Clockwork Orange

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I've only read the book , but it's probably the rape scene. Women love the idea of being raped.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I mean it's not bad, just gets a bit rapey. I think it's the language and makeup

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
he looks like a clown

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I love the lighting in The Shining when Lloyd appears in the bar and Grady in the bathroom. It's lit so the lights behind them blind you from seeing their faces clearly.

Also, the lighting in Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

LegoPirateNinja posted:

can you not superimpose the same figure over any hallway?

SK is fond of centering the vanishing point. Shows up in most of his stuff.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Egbert Souse posted:

I love the lighting in The Shining when Lloyd appears in the bar and Grady in the bathroom. It's lit so the lights behind them blind you from seeing their faces clearly.

Also, the lighting in Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

in the bluray commentary for the shining and clockwork orange they talk about lighting A LOT. The guy that practically invented the rolling(or was it body-cam?) camera set-up for the shining does the commentary, he's pretty interesting.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
good movies are good and fun and cool to watch. I can say this with authority because I have a film degree from a very prestigious film school in Los Angeles who's name happens to include the letters U, S, and C........

CSU Northridge :grin:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
I love Barry Lyndon to a degree that is probably not healthy

edit: if your local art cinema puts it up, drop everything you have and go see it on the big screen, the cinematography is probably the best in history

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Full Metal Jacket has all those great samples

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Sphinxster posted:

Full Metal Jacket has all those great samples

he really hosed up by making it one movie and not two, if franchises like harry potter, twilight, and hunger games have taught us anything its that you can make way more money if you split your movie into two movies instead of one, what a friggin maroon

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
When the Stanley Kubrick Archive exhibit (http://www.stanleykubrick.de/en/ausstellung-exhibition/) came here people would line up all day to see the sets and costumes, but on another floor with no lines at all they had set up all his cameras and lenses and storyboards and set photos and the script for Napoleon and his bookcases and file cabinets of research for everything. It was heaven. There was endless things to look at.

I spent 2 hours pouring over it all, and huddling in a little group with all the other movie snobs and film students waiting for the guard to turn around so we could reach out and touch the camera that filmed Barry Lyndon.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Nooner posted:

he really hosed up by making it one movie and not two, if franchises like harry potter, twilight, and hunger games have taught us anything its that you can make way more money if you split your movie into two movies instead of one, what a friggin maroon

But only half of FMJ is good

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

iirc...

Eyes wide shut was a a mashup of two movie ideas he had. one for a detective film and one for a sexual thriller. I think he realized he was running out of time & tried to make both in the same movie.

He never got around to making a biopic about Napoleon or AI, because he was looking for the right person to cast as David. Then Spielberg took it and ground the concept into poo poo.

at the start, the shots of ripper are low angle - and by the end they're high angle shots. subtle but effective

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dave Concepcion posted:

I love Barry Lyndon to a degree that is probably not healthy

edit: if your local art cinema puts it up, drop everything you have and go see it on the big screen, the cinematography is probably the best in history

I went to a midnight showing of The Shining at the SIFF Egyptian theater in Seattle a while back, it was incredible. Giant screen, fantastic sound system, it was an experience.

While Clockwork Orange was my gateway drug and I adore 2001 and Full Metal Jacket, The Shining is my favorite of his works, and one of my favorite films, if not my favorite film period. The cinematography, direction, sound design and production are remarkable. I hate jump cut, loud noise, cheap scare horror - The Shining, to me, is perfectly executed psychological horror. It still creeps me out to this day, especially seeing it in the theater again.

I need to see Eyes Wide Shut again, I remember liking it when it came out, but I don't remember a whole lot of it.

Oh wow the Archives tour is currently in San Fransisco, that's seriously tempting.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
2001 is what we should show aliens if they want to know about Earth art.

Or maybe that would be a terrible idea, idfk

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

guidoanselmi posted:

Eyes wide shut was a a mashup of two movie ideas he had. one for a detective film and one for a sexual thriller. I think he realized he was running out of time & tried to make both in the same movie.

It's a straight up book adaptation. None of this happened.
Most/all the films he made were adaptations of books.

:eng101: The party castle from Eyes Wide Shut is the castle used as Downton Abbey, with much of the same furniture and paintings around.
:eng101:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Pretty much any historical figure who was slightly weird is "considered" to have Asperger's, including Hitler

Well i do hear he made the trains run on time

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I decided to pop in my Blu-Ray of Eyes Wide Shut.

A few are obviously :nws: so click with caution.

(I'm guessing the paintings in the Harford apartment are all by Christiane Kubrick since that's one of Kubrick's cats)

(I wish more movies were lit entirely by Christmas trees and lights)

(Another one of Christiane Kubrick's paintings. Interesting choice of a pregnant woman in the overdose scene)

Also, IMDB says that's Kubrick himself on the far left of this shot:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nooner posted:

good movies are good and fun and cool to watch. I can say this with authority because I have a film degree from a very prestigious film school in Los Angeles who's name happens to include the letters U, S, and C........

CSU Northridge :grin:

good bc USC is for dildos imo

had me worried there for a moment

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Scudworth posted:

It's a straight up book adaptation. None of this happened.
Most/all the films he made were adaptations of books.

:eng101: The party castle from Eyes Wide Shut is the castle used as Downton Abbey, with much of the same furniture and paintings around.
:eng101:

Eyes wide shut is kinda weird because it's like the opposite of clockwork orange, where the main character is left out of all the weird gross hosed up sex, then gets found out as a loser. I think there's even a shot that mimics the "Home" driveway from clockwork.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
It's a hard to choose between The Shining, Paths of Glory, A Clockwork Orange and 2001 but if I had to, I'd say my favourite is The Shining but the best is probably 2001. I watch that movie once every 2 years or so and it is just next level film-making; just blows me away how ahead of the curve it was. The only space film where I had such strong sense of loneliness and impending horror was probably the first hour or so of Alien (right up to the facehugger leap and slow zoom out of the spaceship) and maybe Solaris.

That said, I remember The Killing being awesome so it's due a re-watch. Full Metal Jacket has an exceptional first half but feels like the second doesn't really gel well, even though the sniper scene is loving awesome. Still haven't watched Barry Lyndon but going to get round to it this weekend. Only ever heard good things about it.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Paths of Glory is one of the only anti-war films that doesn't glorify it accidentally

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I used to think 2001 was my favourite, but now that I've watched all of his films multiple times, Barry Lyndon actually edges it out. The ending "eyeball" sequence of 2001 is on the brink of being a bit too long (admittedly that might be intentional), but in the 3 hour running time of Barry Lyndon, there is not a second where I find myself bored.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People who didn't answer Barry Lyndon are people who are wrong about movies and, by being wrong about movies, show that they are probably wrong about other things in the world and in their own lives specifically.

You could take stills from almost any scene in Barry Lyndon and frame them and put them in the hall of somebody's apartment and nobody would ever question that they were regular normal art while on their way back from the bathroom or something.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
he made TWO movies based on books that were better than the books which is insane, The Shining (some people might disagree) and A Clockwork Orange (anyone who disagrees is a goddamn moron)

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

kuddles posted:

I used to think 2001 was my favourite, but now that I've watched all of his films multiple times, Barry Lyndon actually edges it out. The ending "eyeball" sequence of 2001 is on the brink of being a bit too long (admittedly that might be intentional), but in the 3 hour running time of Barry Lyndon, there is not a second where I find myself bored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGneCkQppLk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

eSports Chaebol posted:

he made TWO movies based on books that were better than the books which is insane, The Shining (some people might disagree) and A Clockwork Orange (anyone who disagrees is a goddamn moron)

The Shining was great but imo the book and movie are sufficiently different that it's difficult to say which one is really better. They're seriously almost 2 different stories entirely - in King's Jack Torrance is an everyman who has done bad things and is struggling with alcoholism but we still relate and we see him slowly broken down to a monster by the hotel whereas in Kubrick's dude is clearly nuts from the start and very little is made of the alcoholism.

(they're both great obv)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 3, 2016

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I am pleasantly surprised by the positivity in this thread. Kubrick was literally a genius. There is one hour long interview he did in the seventies on YouTube. He was a very kind and humble guy. In the interview he talks about starting out in photography and film, as well as hustling chess games in NYC

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's great that he knew what he wanted and would just make those poo poo show actors do the take over and over and over until it was loving right.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Plus the moon landing footage looks spectacular

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wow, it's crazy how a long hallway has converging perspective lines. That's nuts, I can't believe it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

I think it's great that he knew what he wanted and would just make those poo poo show actors do the take over and over and over until it was loving right.

Not only that, why settle for something that could be better when people will see it for the next century?

It's also worth considering that the takes in The Shining that took so many tries were complex shots with a lot of dialogue, camera movement, and also reverse angles.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

Wow, it's crazy how a long hallway has converging perspective lines. That's nuts, I can't believe it.

Yeah but he picked that specific angle on that specific hallway for a specific reason, it wasn't just cuz to get a shot of the twins. Dude probably intentionally did that for the optical effect.

quote:

he sent staff to Manhattan, where Eyes Wide Shut was set, in order to get the exact measurements of streets and locations for set pieces like newspaper racks.

It's like when you're reading a piece of literature; the author/poet specifically picks one word versus another nothing is just coincidental (unless they are lovely authors).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4qO8OaUY94&t=18s

The General
Mar 4, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

All Steven King is better on film than in print.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
With The Shining he took a story about drinking that also involved a creepy hotel and made it into a story about a creepy hotel that also involved drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Remember the TV version of the shining with that ugly buck toothed kid?

• Locked thread