Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Thread's got me pumped for Barry Lyndon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The General posted:

All Steven King is better on film than in print.

Ehhhhhh..... dunno bout that haha

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

frytechnician posted:

If you can find some way to artificially induce an increased attention span/appreciation for pretty colors, that'll help.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The General posted:

All Steven King is better on film than in print.

well Shawshank Redemption certainly is too and writing TWO things where the film version is better is crazy

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I don't know if I GET his films.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

well Shawshank Redemption certainly is too and writing TWO things where the film version is better is crazy

Delores Claiborne is a third. King is about characters and their interactions, it works gloriously well on screen.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Haven't read green mile but it's also probably a better movie too.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Mukulu posted:

I don't know if I GET his films.

more like the making GBS threads

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Full Metal Jacket is split into 2 very distinct acts because the film is about the contradictory nature of man. Kubrick literally tells the audience what the film is about when Pvt. Joker says "I guess i was trying to say something about the duality of man.". If you don't appreciate the 2nd half of the film you're not getting the full experience.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Full Metal Jacket is split into 2 very distinct acts because the film is about the contradictory nature of man. Kubrick literally tells the audience what the film is about when Pvt. Joker says "I guess i was trying to say something about the duality of man.". If you don't appreciate the 2nd half of the film you're not getting the full experience.

Whatever the intent was the second half of the film isn't as enjoyable or interesting to me.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

notZaar posted:

Wow, it's crazy how a long hallway has converging perspective lines. That's nuts, I can't believe it.

Libraries are even better, yo. Shelves of books, all symmetrically placed and poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like the second half... but it drags on a bit.

The first half is excellent.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People who like the first half of FMJ/get the wrong lesson from it are always just wonderful human beings.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk I don't think most people mean they like what is happening I think they mean wow that's certainly a really good piece of art right there

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
The first half represents Order, the second half Chaos. Of course the 2nd half of the movie isn't going to be as enjoyable or consistent.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol the parts in the boot camp would have absolutely no context without seeing the guys in action.

they are inhuman pieces of poo poo, and the only one with any redemption is an "animal" and carries around a gigantic belt fed machine gun.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

idk I don't think most people mean they like what is happening I think they mean wow that's certainly a really good piece of art right there

People who like the first half way too much and see it as awesome and pro-military are out there, and if you've been lucky enough to never meet them I envy you.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the first half is more effective, but it's all terrifying.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

M I C K E Y M O U S E

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

M I C K E Y M O U S E

What makes the grass grow?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's cool to make a feature film where the main character is a completely detestable sack of garbage and doesn't do a single goddamn good thing from beginning to end, and vanishes into the fires of hell singing mickey mouse.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!

nomadologique posted:

it's cool to make a feature film where the main character is a completely detestable sack of garbage and doesn't do a single goddamn good thing from beginning to end, and vanishes into the fires of hell singing mickey mouse.

If these forums have taught me anything it's that passive-aggressively mocking everything is a good and noble thing.

But to be fair Joker did try to help Pile.

drguildo
Apr 27, 2013

LISTEN TO THE CROWD ROAR IN ADMIRATION!
I can't decide what's more fun: watching Stanley Kubrick films or discussing Stanley Kubrick films on Internet forums.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the moment when he could have helped pyle, he hit him with a bar of soap instead. lmao.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

nomadologique posted:

the moment when he could have helped pyle, he hit him with a bar of soap instead. lmao.

*metaphor for life, yo*

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Eyes Wide Shut or Barry Lyndon.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the only morally consistent person in the entire film is the one that murders without batting an eyelash. cheers!

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

nomadologique posted:

the only morally consistent person in the entire film is the one that murders without batting an eyelash. cheers!

The sniper? Or the door gunner?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

frytechnician posted:

It's really funny. I should rewatch it sometime and I haven't actually seen Dr Strangelove yet either :sweatdrop:

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 4, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Carmant posted:

Eyes Wide Shut or Barry Lyndon.

Barry Lyndon.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, so where can I watch Barry Lyndon that's not a dodgy streaming site that's in lovely quality?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

edit: whoah, I did some bad reading

my parents didn't love me enough. That's my major malfunction.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

cheerfullydrab posted:

People who like the first half of FMJ/get the wrong lesson from it are always just wonderful human beings.

these are the same people who enjoy starship troopers for its good ideas

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

eSports Chaebol posted:

But...but...but.... The shower scene!!!!!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

cheerfullydrab posted:

Barry Lyndon.

Maybe the first viewing but its a lot easier to watch Eyes Wide Shut multiple times and I think that counts for something

The General
Mar 4, 2007

eSports Chaebol posted:

Are you saying killing bugs isn't a good idea?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I feel nothing for Kubrick's films but I think the coen bros are currently the greatest living filmmakers, at least of those whose work I'm familiar with

Actually I really like those of Kubrick's movies that I've seen now that I think about it, I just haven't seen a lot of them

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-KBqOFgDQ

I really like the sound of his voice.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Why do girls pretend to like A Clockwork Orange

Yeah why would they like a movie where a violent rapist goes to jail, gets tortured and experimented on, is completely shunned by society and his loved ones, gets found by one of his victims who enacts revenge, then has a psychological breakdown and tries to kill himself.

Also because it's a great movie.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Yeah you can always tell who is a piece of poo poo by how much they respect and admire the psychotic dehumanizing drill sergeant.
It's even funnier when they hire him for insurance commercials.

• Locked thread