Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mods please change my name to Dick Halloran tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Money Bags posted:

This but really good.

Ok you've changed my mind, I'll watch it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy poo poo I thought my monitors camera turned on for a second or turned into Mirror Mode or something! :eyepop:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
cool cat kubrick

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Don Tacorleone posted:

Barry Lyndon sounds like a faggy movie with powdered wigs and poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Loved Barry Lyndon! So many gorgeous shots and sets. The story was interesting and engaging as well. My wife loves books that take place in that time period, so she was entranced. I would definitely echo the recommendations given here! The candlelight scenes were pretty amazing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching Spartacus for the first time, it's on Shomi

The Shining later this week, my girlfriend has never watched it :getin:

Edit: This intro is long as gently caress but good as poo poo! A+

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 7, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Professor Shark posted:

Holy poo poo I thought my monitors camera turned on for a second or turned into Mirror Mode or something! :eyepop:

Nice to meet you Mr. Kubrick

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Also, I remember a goon telling a story about how she used to nude model for Christina Kubrick at their house and how Stanley walked by one time and saw her naked

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat, while reading about Spartacus I read that the director that did the first season of True Detective is making Kubrick's Napoleon

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kubrick's pre-movie photography is awesome

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

Kubrick's pre-movie photography is awesome

How did het get into my apartment

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Most of the way through Spartacus right now- those fire logs look like they'd be very dangerous to do :stare:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The guy who played the writer in clockwork orange thought that Kubrick was a bad director because there wasn't free Guinness available on set

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
fun fact

the guy who played the writer was the chevalier in barry lyndon
and the priest was barry's uncle
and alex's dad was grady in the shining

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The guy who played Grady was in Barry Lyndon too

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Ein cooler Typ posted:

fun fact

the guy who played the writer was the chevalier in barry lyndon
and the priest was barry's uncle
and alex's dad was grady in the shining

The kid who was lord bullington became his friend and assistant for the rest of his films i think

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The guy that played Turgidson in strangelove didn't like Stanley's direction until he played a game of chess and got totally wrecked

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The guy that played Turdingson in Dr Strangelove thought he was playing it too over the top and Kubrick said just go over the top for practice and we won't use those takes and Kubrick trolled him and used those takes anyway

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

darkhand posted:

The guy that played Turgidson in strangelove didn't like Stanley's direction until he played a game of chess and got totally wrecked

George C Scott didn't like a lot of people.

Also Slim Pickens didn't know it was a comedy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

George C. Scott is hilarious in Dr. Strangelove. He was pissed off at Kubrick for using takes where he was more exaggerated instead of more natural.

His face when the President is telling the Russian Premier to shoot down the plane is perfect.

(efb :arghfist: )

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The guy who played the writer in clockwork orange thought that Kubrick was a bad director because there wasn't free Guinness available on set

I learned from the Late Show this week that there is a law in France that says you have to provide a bottle of wine on every single catering table for your movie.

So maybe he was right.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The guy that played Turdingson in Dr Strangelove thought he was playing it too over the top and Kubrick said just go over the top for practice and we won't use those takes and Kubrick trolled him and used those takes anyway

This is hilarious.
Barry Lyndon is unlike any other movie I've seen. It has its misses, I suppose, but it's still a great movie.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i'm glad for this thread because it introduced me to barry lyndon

it makes me wonder how long kubrick took to find such excellent spots in nature for the filming. gotta respect his love of detail

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

From what I read today he got a lot of the scouting stuff while planning for Napoleon

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kubrick spent years after making 2001: A Space Odyssey researching and preparing for the Napoleon film.

Then the Italian-French-Russian co-production Waterloo was a bomb.

So, Kubrick decided to adapt A Clockwork Orange instead when no one wanted to back it.

A Clockwork Orange only cost $2 million (2001 cost $10 million in 1968 money), shot within 6 months, almost entirely shot on location with basic light kits or practical lighting, and was released only 10 months after shooting was completed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Munsun posted:

i'm glad for this thread because it introduced me to barry lyndon

it makes me wonder how long kubrick took to find such excellent spots in nature for the filming. gotta respect his love of detail

This one post made all my poo poo-quality Barry Lyndon propaganda worthwhile.

I will also agree that it is not a perfect movie and that is okay.

Paths of Glory is, however, a perfect movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 8, 2016

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Ordered Barry Lyndon on blu-ray. Looking forward to seeing it.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Professor Shark posted:

Most of the way through Spartacus right now- those fire logs look like they'd be very dangerous to do :stare:

tony curtis eyes so blue

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Makes me happy to see so many people are gonna see Barry Lyndon for the first time.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Well, literally just this minute finished Barry Lyndon. Whilst not my favourite Kubrick film, it left me wanting more and it's cinematography is just something else. Astonishingly pretty film from start to finish, acting was incredible, the plot was solid and the characters memorable. But yeah, that cinematography...

If anything the film mirrors the renaissance art that features so heavily in many of the scene's backgrounds; a hugely rich and breathtakingly beautiful film.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
2001 still has the best and coolest effects of all time

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

rear end cobra posted:

Kubrick got his one and only oscar for them, I think he shared it with Doug Trumbull

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

rear end cobra posted:

You can take any frame from that movie and hang it on a wall. It looks so loving good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

drguildo posted:

Not really. Words are always chosen, it's just a question of why. Goofs by definition are unintentional.

Because Oscar's razor, I guess. Is there any actual evidence it was intentional or is it just assumed?

Nah. I'm telling you a 'professional' poet is sitting there thinking about all the imagery and symbolism (among other things) called to mind by one word versus another and they think about it way harder that someone just writing a news article is thinking about their word choice.

Of course words are always chosen but again dude lol these people are considered geniuses in their craft for a reason and it's not because they happened to make a series of goofs more coincidental than anyone else.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

the famous example of this is the newer jewish criticism of shylock in the merchant of venice. i can say with some serious certainty that shakespeare did not give one poo poo about jewish causes. i dont put a lot of stock in death of the author but thats a solid example of it

Okay but no one can even say with serious certainty Shakespeare was a real person and not a conglomerate of a few different authors so that's kind of a special case imo.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

this doesnt have much to do with kubrick but as an english degree haver (lol) i can say with certainty that most words in novels or other long-form works are not that specific.

Sure, long form isn't that specific but again dude kinda lol if you think authors aren't doing a few drafts of their work and changing details all the time. It's not like they just poo poo something out and go 'looks good' and coincidentally it happens to be an amazing literary work.

Sitting there going 'Kubrick is lauded for his technical genius and the way it affects the narrative/content of the work, I bet it was all just coincidence haha' is kinda silly that's all I'm saying. Dude had people using tape measures on the streets of NYC; I'm pretty sure he was aware of the camera angles when filming.

Obv he's only human and I'm sure there are some unintentional goofs but the root of this conversation was the inner geometry of the Overlook not making sense and I'm pretty sure that was intentional.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 8, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can take any frame from that movie and hang it on a wall.

You can do that with any movie

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

friendly reminder that the author has been dead since 1967 :rip: in piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

rear end cobra posted:

Part of why it looks so good is because everything was done in camera. Instead of optical printers that cause a generation loss.

It's actually common for traditional animation, but hugely tome consuming for live action. This means some shots had to go through the camera a dozen times. Imagine loving up one.

• Locked thread