Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Eyes Wide shut was the last Kubrick movie I watched for the first time. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon or a few others, I'll get around to it, but Eyes Wide Shut legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. The sex and relationship stuff took a huge backseat for me as Kubrick managed to make the Illuminati stand-in the scarriest poo poo i've ever seen put to film.

People talk about the Shining like it's spooky, especially people old enough to have seen it during the theatrical run, but that poo poo is just standard spooky to me. Eyes Wide Shut gave me a full blown mental crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I didn't finish the second season of true detective. Did it ever pay off or I'm assuming no because everyone shits on it the way i was making GBS threads on it when I peaced in the 4th or 5th ep

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is spartacus one that he had full control over? How come I never hear that one brought up when talking about kubrick despite being a pretty iconic film

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Watched The Shining with my girlfriend last night, she hadn't heard of it before. It was a great rewatch, I'm reading about it on Wiki now and it seems like both Stephen King and whoever wrote large chunks of the page were butt hurt little babies over the differences between the amazing film and the goodish novel.

King was initially pretty upset over kubrick's changes yeah, and he's probably never gotten over the fact that Kubrick took his story, made it better, and told the version of the shining everyone knows and cares about if they don't read stephen king books.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, in Eyes Wide Shut, hartford's infidelity is a rapidly escalating nightmare, and by the time he's at the orgy the film has arrived at something that actually scares me instead of being another erotic thriller. Maybe I'm being hyperbolic in that post about it but it's a spooky film to me. Horror as a genre never gets a rise out of me, but Eyes Wide Shut did what the horror genre does for some people, to me.

There is almost a point to make you doubt whether it's grand and far reaching or local elites and their gently caress club, there are deaths that could easily be murder casually explained away as overdose, which mirrors real life, except we're given a 2nd hand perspective on one such case, for example, that' legitimately can't be handwaved away as paranoia and can go the other way towards being part of a conspiracy.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

he also reduced the actual actress, shelley duvall, for it, and by the end where she's acting crazy as hell is a product of Kubrick wearing the actress down.

That's the legend anyway I don't want to :effort: for verification

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread