Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People who didn't answer Barry Lyndon are people who are wrong about movies and, by being wrong about movies, show that they are probably wrong about other things in the world and in their own lives specifically.

You could take stills from almost any scene in Barry Lyndon and frame them and put them in the hall of somebody's apartment and nobody would ever question that they were regular normal art while on their way back from the bathroom or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
With The Shining he took a story about drinking that also involved a creepy hotel and made it into a story about a creepy hotel that also involved drinking.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

frytechnician posted:

Thread's got me pumped for Barry Lyndon now.

If you can find some way to artificially induce an increased attention span/appreciation for pretty colors, that'll help.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

People who like the first half of FMJ/get the wrong lesson from it are always just wonderful human beings.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

idk I don't think most people mean they like what is happening I think they mean wow that's certainly a really good piece of art right there

People who like the first half way too much and see it as awesome and pro-military are out there, and if you've been lucky enough to never meet them I envy you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Carmant posted:

Eyes Wide Shut or Barry Lyndon.

Barry Lyndon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Scudworth posted:

So psyched for all the people watching Barry Lyndon for the first time. Please report back, all of you.
I watch it every year on/near my birthday. It's entrancing, just like a living painting. And so funny.

I am also curious to hear the first-timers report back.

Best thing about this thread: getting people to watch Barry Lyndon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Don Tacorleone posted:

Barry Lyndon sounds like a faggy movie with powdered wigs and poo poo

There are guns and explosions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Munsun posted:

i'm glad for this thread because it introduced me to barry lyndon

it makes me wonder how long kubrick took to find such excellent spots in nature for the filming. gotta respect his love of detail

This one post made all my poo poo-quality Barry Lyndon propaganda worthwhile.

I will also agree that it is not a perfect movie and that is okay.

Paths of Glory is, however, a perfect movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Roque mallet.

It's like croquet, only different.

The book points this out several megadozens of times.

• Locked thread