Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Paul Thomas Anderson has some cool movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I'm gonna rewatch eyes wide shut because I thought it was absolutely awful the first/only time I saw it.

Which was weird because it has a lot of good elements: Kubrick, sex cults, conspiracies

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I love the lighting in The Shining when Lloyd appears in the bar and Grady in the bathroom. It's lit so the lights behind them blind you from seeing their faces clearly.

Also, the lighting in Eyes Wide Shut is amazing.

in the bluray commentary for the shining and clockwork orange they talk about lighting A LOT. The guy that practically invented the rolling(or was it body-cam?) camera set-up for the shining does the commentary, he's pretty interesting.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Scudworth posted:

It's a straight up book adaptation. None of this happened.
Most/all the films he made were adaptations of books.

:eng101: The party castle from Eyes Wide Shut is the castle used as Downton Abbey, with much of the same furniture and paintings around.
:eng101:

Eyes wide shut is kinda weird because it's like the opposite of clockwork orange, where the main character is left out of all the weird gross hosed up sex, then gets found out as a loser. I think there's even a shot that mimics the "Home" driveway from clockwork.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

do you honestly think the ~natives are so spiritual with nature~ crap was anything but disney tier trite. The cinematography and acting was good though

the wind through the trees thing brought everything down to such a dumb hokey level

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 5, 2016

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

it sucks that he liked mono so much, thankfully his stuff is usually pretty clear between voices and music. unlike say batman where all kinds of whizbang noises are going on.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

cool cat kubrick

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The guy that played Turgidson in strangelove didn't like Stanley's direction until he played a game of chess and got totally wrecked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

we don't need the drill sergeant to dehumanize young people and desensitize them to violence anymore because videogames have already done that

I don't think that's fully true yet, maybe partly. I've played a lot of violent video games. Yet if I see something brutal on liveleak or wshh it's totally gut wrenching, almost panic attack inducing some of the stuff out there. There's just no comparison to real violence. The people that post and binge that snuff crap on those sites are on some monstrous other level of dehumanization.

OOOoo also I saw barry lyndon for the first time and it was good. Not exactly mind-blowing story wise, but she shots were cool, the locations were amazing, and some of the speaking lines are prose-like and pretty. The comedy is kinda easy to miss, but the recital scene was hilarious.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 14, 2016

• Locked thread